Area gun sales, fears rising

Nov 14, 2012 Full story: North Port Sun 7,569

Gun stores in Charlotte County have experienced increased sales since Election Day as local gun owners brace for an anticipated restriction of gun laws following the re-election of President Barack Obama.

Full Story

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2778 Jan 12, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. Your inability to learn facts and skills to apply them is spectacular!
You wouldnít know a fact if it bit you.
just another guy

United States

#2779 Jan 13, 2013
arcanumseeker wrote:
It's just like Obama said, they will cling to their Guns and religion.
We cling to freedom. Guns are the tool we use to keep us free. Religion is what we wish to have the freedom to to practice.

That really sticks in your craw , doesn't it?
just another guy

United States

#2780 Jan 13, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You can call them whatever you like, when a rifle is capable of killing or injuring 80 people in less than 60 seconds in a movie theater, call it Ďfullí call it Ďsemiíó it's semantics and a mere technicality!!!
And, should the hoplophobes like you succeed in banning semi automatics, in short order we will hear :

"we have to ban guns that can kill from more than 1/2 mile away".

Tyrants will never quit.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#2781 Jan 13, 2013
just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>
And, should the hoplophobes like you succeed in banning semi automatics, in short order we will hear :
"we have to ban guns that can kill from more than 1/2 mile away".
Tyrants will never quit.
Exactly. Some are crying about gun clips that hold ten rounds or more. We recently read a story of a woman who hid in a crawl space of her home with her two children after she heard an intruder breaking in. She shot him several times and still didn't kill the guy. Imagine if there were three intruders and she only had a 6 round clip.

But that's okay. Smaller magazine clips will stop all school shootings.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2782 Jan 13, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The reality is weíre worse off now than when Obama took office. http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012...
The White House continues to tell us the economy is improving. Thatís only partially true. There is recovery for some industries but not all. The housing market is improving but the foreclosure rate is still extremely high. Retail sales are sluggish and American are deeper in debt.
With the sky rocketing national debt the US will likely have itsí credit rating adjusted. That will have dire consequences.
Weíre likely to face another crisis soon, next month. The debt ceiling will be reached again. I suspect because of the lack of cooperation on spending cuts Congress wonít be so eager to increase the ceiling again.
Things arenít so rosy for our economy and you can expect 22 trillion in debt by the end of Obamaís second term if we canít get this under control.
You clearly donít understand what caused the collapse. It wasnít the policies Mitt was proposing. Thereís so much youíre missing if you believe thatís true. It started with Jimmy Carter, Clinton added fuel and the ďwheelsĒ came off under Bush. The Republicans arenít so innocent on this either. They didnít help with the GLB Act which effectively gutted Glass-Steagall, So many people and policies to blame for the collapse. But, nothing related to the policies promoted by Romney. Get off the media talking points and do some research.
Apparently you have voluntarily given up all your critical thinking skills - naw never had any!!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2783 Jan 13, 2013
The radicalization of the NRA
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-nr...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2784 Jan 13, 2013
just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>
We cling to freedom. Guns are the tool we use to keep us free. Religion is what we wish to have the freedom to to practice.
That really sticks in your craw , doesn't it?
LOL!!! No, it's just sad that people need Crutches and Fairly Tales to lean on. If you need a gun to keep yourself Free, then you will Never be Free. You are a slave to Fear! Yes, your West Borough Baptists, Terry Jones, Taliban, David Koresh, Jim Jones, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Vatican. Yeah, religion is a Winner!

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2785 Jan 14, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you have voluntarily given up all your critical thinking skills - naw never had any!!
You never had any critical thinking skills. Come on, with you on your knees for Obama eagerly waiting youíre unable to see the world around you.

I understand, you couldnít imagine your life without your government assistance.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2787 Jan 14, 2013
Spocko wrote:
The radicalization of the NRA
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-nr...
Pushed into a corner with eroding gun rights the NRA adapted. Thank you for reminding me that we have a fight ahead. On my desk is an envelope from the NRA-ILA. I expected to get to it by month end. Iíll be sure to send an extra $100 just for you, today.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2788 Jan 14, 2013
arcanumseeker wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!! No, it's just sad that people need Crutches and Fairly Tales to lean on. If you need a gun to keep yourself Free, then you will Never be Free. You are a slave to Fear! Yes, your West Borough Baptists, Terry Jones, Taliban, David Koresh, Jim Jones, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Vatican. Yeah, religion is a Winner!
Are you really so naturally ignorant or did you put forth extra effort?

Not all gun owners are religious.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2789 Jan 14, 2013
The NRA and its cronies in congress have managed to suppress research and statistics compiled to support intelligent and workable fire arm regulations. Such as, ER statistics showing that a gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a member of the household than to be used in self-defense.
The total rate of death from firearms in 2009, 31,347 persons died from firearm injuries in the US, accounting for 17.7% of all injury deaths that year. The two major component causes of all firearm injury deaths in 2009 were suicide (59.8%) and homicide (36.7%)" (National Vital Statistics Report, 60.3 (2011): 11).
These are homicides and suicides, two kinds of tragedy that touch too many of us per year. I'll agree that blanket bans aren't the most effective way of preventing firearm related deaths, and I hope you'll agree that it's silly that many members of the NRA react to any conversation about gun regulation by alleging that the government wants to take their guns away. What about background checks, the gun show loophole, or better support for regulatory agencies? What about doing research which can better inform how we as gun owners keep guns in the home, or how we talk about gun ownership to those interested in it?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/...

“Reduce immigration levels”

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#2790 Jan 14, 2013
Obama's anti-gun bias traces back decades
http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/obamas-anti-gun-bi...

REAL "causes" of school violence!!!
http://patriotaction.net/profiles/blog/show...

Surrender Your Guns_ Surrender Your FREEDOM__Don_t let history repeat itself
&fe ature=player_embedded

"Rumblings of Dictatorship"
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2791 Jan 14, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fiS7m2TRUKsXX&feature=pla yer_embedded
Get real moron - none of your posting is based in fact it is nothing more than lies and propaganda. You can't document any of your BS!!!!

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2792 Jan 14, 2013
Spocko wrote:
The NRA and its cronies in congress have managed to suppress research and statistics compiled to support intelligent and workable fire arm regulations. Such as, ER statistics showing that a gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a member of the household than to be used in self-defense.
The total rate of death from firearms in 2009, 31,347 persons died from firearm injuries in the US, accounting for 17.7% of all injury deaths that year. The two major component causes of all firearm injury deaths in 2009 were suicide (59.8%) and homicide (36.7%)" (National Vital Statistics Report, 60.3 (2011): 11).
These are homicides and suicides, two kinds of tragedy that touch too many of us per year. I'll agree that blanket bans aren't the most effective way of preventing firearm related deaths, and I hope you'll agree that it's silly that many members of the NRA react to any conversation about gun regulation by alleging that the government wants to take their guns away. What about background checks, the gun show loophole, or better support for regulatory agencies? What about doing research which can better inform how we as gun owners keep guns in the home, or how we talk about gun ownership to those interested in it?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/...
The NRA has suppressed research? Damn, the NRA is far more powerful than I thought. I better send them another $100 just for you. Thatíll make an additional $200 in two days just because of your ignorant comments. No worries, I can afford it. After all, Iím not part of the 47%.

Now itís 43 times more likely? Recently you claimed it was 22 times more likely. You canít even keep your own misinformation straight.

Largo, FL

#2793 Jan 14, 2013
Fed Up wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fiS7m2TRUKsXX&feature=pla yer_embedded
Even if it was true that Obama has an "anti-gun bias" so what? Since when is it a moral requirement that everyone like guns? If you want to be a gun nut, who's stopping you? But a lot of Americans, including me, feel that guns are too easily accessible in our society. So what? American citizens have every right to hold our own views on guns, whatever those views might be.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#2794 Jan 14, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if it was true that Obama has an "anti-gun bias" so what? Since when is it a moral requirement that everyone like guns? If you want to be a gun nut, who's stopping you? But a lot of Americans, including me, feel that guns are too easily accessible in our society. So what? American citizens have every right to hold our own views on guns, whatever those views might be.
What you post makes sense.... To a degree. But what makes liberals think they have the right to demand pro-gun proponents give up their right to keep and bear? No one on the pro side is demanding antis HAVE to buy and own a firearm. All the arguements against guns have been disproven so many times they have become laughable and tiresome. The bottom line boils down to one thing. It is our right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say you have to keep and bear arms just that it is a right and shall not be infringed. REASONABLE restrictions have been in place for some time,bordering on infringement. Any more would/could cross the line.

Largo, FL

#2795 Jan 14, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>What you post makes sense.... To a degree. But what makes liberals think they have the right to demand pro-gun proponents give up their right to keep and bear? No one on the pro side is demanding antis HAVE to buy and own a firearm. All the arguements against guns have been disproven so many times they have become laughable and tiresome. The bottom line boils down to one thing. It is our right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say you have to keep and bear arms just that it is a right and shall not be infringed. REASONABLE restrictions have been in place for some time,bordering on infringement. Any more would/could cross the line.
Well, I don't have a single argument with your post. I too, believe that people have a right to own guns; I have never argued otherwise. I do, however also believe that the government has a right (in fact, a duty) to restrict what type of guns, who may own them, etc.

Let me use medicine as an analogy. I would never let the government tell me that I can't have bandages, aspirin, or any legally prescribed medicine in my house. However, if the government tells me they can restrict my right to keep morphine, thorazine, or similar drugs in my house, I would have to agree.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

#2796 Jan 14, 2013
Calm Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't have a single argument with your post. I too, believe that people have a right to own guns; I have never argued otherwise. I do, however also believe that the government has a right (in fact, a duty) to restrict what type of guns, who may own them, etc.
Let me use medicine as an analogy. I would never let the government tell me that I can't have bandages, aspirin, or any legally prescribed medicine in my house. However, if the government tells me they can restrict my right to keep morphine, thorazine, or similar drugs in my house, I would have to agree.
The governmet does restrict firearms. Since 1934 there has been a restriction on fully automatic weapons. Not just everybody can get them. The background requirements to qualify for ownership is about as stringent as a top secret Security Clearance. Then there are the licenses and costs. One cannot own a sawed off shotgun or rifle at all. One cannot carry concealed without a license(where permitted). These "assault weapons" being vilified in the media are nothing more than semi-auto sporting rifles. They have a cosmetic "military" appearance,but that is more because of the design than the function. Many other "civilian" looking rifles function the same way,have hi-cap magazines available after market and yet we hear nothing. As far as the arguement about hunters "needing" 30 round mags to kill a deer,ain't so. All states have game laws limiting the number of rounds a magazine can contain. So for people to imply hunters are using hi-caps to hunt with is deceptive as well as misleading. My hope is as the hype dies down and we can address the problem of violence in America,not focus on a cold hunk of metal.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2797 Jan 14, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
The NRA has suppressed research? Damn, the NRA is far more powerful than I thought. I better send them another $100 just for you. Thatíll make an additional $200 in two days just because of your ignorant comments. No worries, I can afford it. After all, Iím not part of the 47%.
Now itís 43 times more likely? Recently you claimed it was 22 times more likely. You canít even keep your own misinformation straight.
According to Homeland Security's own criteria, the NRA is a terrorist organization!!!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#2798 Jan 14, 2013
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>The governmet does restrict firearms. Since 1934 there has been a restriction on fully automatic weapons. Not just everybody can get them. The background requirements to qualify for ownership is about as stringent as a top secret Security Clearance. Then there are the licenses and costs. One cannot own a sawed off shotgun or rifle at all. One cannot carry concealed without a license(where permitted). These "assault weapons" being vilified in the media are nothing more than semi-auto sporting rifles. They have a cosmetic "military" appearance,but that is more because of the design than the function. Many other "civilian" looking rifles function the same way,have hi-cap magazines available after market and yet we hear nothing. As far as the arguement about hunters "needing" 30 round mags to kill a deer,ain't so. All states have game laws limiting the number of rounds a magazine can contain. So for people to imply hunters are using hi-caps to hunt with is deceptive as well as misleading. My hope is as the hype dies down and we can address the problem of violence in America,not focus on a cold hunk of metal.
And that is the most convoluted bunch of BS yet on this forum ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Punta Gorda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Save on Kane furniture Dec 21 Justice for the e... 1
DEAN KIMBALL LIKES Married Women Dec 20 Bayfront 2
On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) Dec 19 melissasawlkristof 86
Review: House Call Vet - Scott Wouk DVM (Oct '09) Dec 14 goldenluver 12
Tell Mel: Don't cross Honest Ziggy's in North F... (Feb '10) Dec 9 shigs 75
Ronnetta Sasher Dec 6 udkm 2
Tax Payers Upset Over Penny Tax in Charlotte Co... (May '14) Nov 28 MelT 14

Rip Current Statement for Charlotte County was issued at December 25 at 3:13AM EST

Punta Gorda Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Punta Gorda People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Punta Gorda News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Punta Gorda

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:23 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:23PM