Area gun sales, fears rising

Nov 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: North Port Sun

Gun stores in Charlotte County have experienced increased sales since Election Day as local gun owners brace for an anticipated restriction of gun laws following the re-election of President Barack Obama.

Comments
2,221 - 2,240 of 7,571 Comments Last updated Jul 23, 2013
just another guy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2435
Jan 2, 2013
 
Yeah wrote:
That is, the liberals were fighting the Revolutionary war....
The term has been bastardized. They would not be liberals by todays definition. Our government of today would classify them as domestic terrorists.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2437
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don’t you tell that to the families that lost their children to your sacred guns!
In 2008, 20,000 children were injured by guns.
In 2011, 9000 plus Americans were murdered with guns.
Between 2008-09 almost 6000 kids were killed with guns in America.
Every year close to 90 preschoolers are killed with guns.
That's twice the number of cops shot, per year.
What are acceptable numbers for the fanatical NRA?
Non sequitur argument. Worse, you’re your plagiarizing the Daily Kos. Word for word what you posted can be found here. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/16/1170...

You’re so pathetic you’re unable to use your own words to support your position.

What’s amusing about the Daily Kos article is their information was from another anti-gun organization Children’s Defense. In reading their spew they used George Zimmerman as an example. We still haven’t had a trial on that case. It may have and likely was a legally justified shooting. But, Childrens Defense attempts to use the case to support their position.

To obtain their numbers they expanded the definition of child to 19 years old. They also didn’t detail their preschooler numbers. Accidental? Improper storage? Criminal action?

How exactly is the NRA directly responsible for any of those deaths? I have more than 100 firearms in my home, how are my firearms responsible?

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2438
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Prep-for-Dep wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please start listing or at least name your sources?
I did that for him. The Daily Kos. Blaming the NRA for those deaths is like Blaming Budweiser for drunk driving.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2439
Jan 2, 2013
 
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The NRA should be listed as a terrorist organization!!!
You should be the poster boy for ignorance.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2440
Jan 2, 2013
 
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the NRA and its apologists continue to blithely whistle “Guns don’t kill people - People kill people.” But, as we all know, it is nothing but semantics, the fact remains that “people use guns to kill people.” The NRA is almost solely responsible for the ease with which weapons can be sold, bought and used in America. As a result, it is nothing less than a terrorist organization, enabling the killings of innocent victims and whose very soul is awash in blood.
The Cato Institute, a conservative think tank, is filled with people who long for the 19th century and appear regularly on national TV to defend the so-called gun rights. In a discussion, Robert Levy told a reporter:“… conspicuously missing from the news reporting is all of the crimes that are deterred because the would-be assailants suspected that their would-be victims might be armed – guns are used for self-defense! Oh really – what self defense? Both the FBI and the Justice Dept. report that “self defense” claims are used by people charged with crimes involving a shooting. Last year alone, it was used in more than 5,000 cases nationwide, including murders and felony assault with a deadly weapon. Courts agreed the defendants – are you sitting down – acted in self-defense in only 250 cases. In other words, of the known 5,000 cases, at least 4,750 shootings had nothing to do with self-defense. Only a terrorist organization would be as sanguine or callous about rampant murder of innocent Americans as LaPierre and his cronies at the Cato Institute and the NRA.
Now the NRA has cronies at the Cato Institute? Damn, your conspiracy theory is growing.

Where does the NRA receive their funding? Start there.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2441
Jan 2, 2013
 
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Son, walking is a natural event.
Weapons are manufactured.
You're confusing the issues.
I'm not making your point, you're making mine!
Cars and swimming pools are also manufactured. How many deaths annually can be attributed to those inanimate objects?

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2442
Jan 2, 2013
 
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you retarded logic we ought to outlaw life as life kills more people every day than any other cause - moron!
It’s people like you wanting to outlaw inanimate objects you deem dangerous. Why were Jarts outlawed anyway? Could it be the liberal turds are responsible for that as well? The were so much fun.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2443
Jan 2, 2013
 
Yeah wrote:
That is, the liberals were fighting the Revolutionary war....
Come on, why did the war occur? Could it be a desire for independence from oppressive rule? The British also attempted to outlaw firearms in America.

Liberals? Can’t compare the “liberals” of the colonial days to modern day liberals. You modern day liberals are afraid of everything. Give you a few more years and you’ll piss yourself simply by looking at a photo of a gun.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2444
Jan 2, 2013
 
Mountain William wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pro gun and I just wanted to tell you, you are not helping our cause with your misinformation.
The CDC shows Number of deaths: 31,347 in 2011.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
Everybody with a brain knows that or can find that out, Lil Ticked
Of those deaths how many were suicide? How many were justified homicide? Once you arrive there carefully analyze the remaining deaths. The liberals wouldn’t like the findings of that.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2445
Jan 2, 2013
 
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the NRA and its apologists continue to blithely whistle “Guns don’t kill people - People kill people.” But, as we all know, it is nothing but semantics, the fact remains that “people use guns to kill people.” The NRA is almost solely responsible for the ease with which weapons can be sold, bought and used in America. As a result, it is nothing less than a terrorist organization, enabling the killings of innocent victims and whose very soul is awash in blood.
The Cato Institute, a conservative think tank, is filled with people who long for the 19th century and appear regularly on national TV to defend the so-called gun rights. In a discussion, Robert Levy told a reporter:“… conspicuously missing from the news reporting is all of the crimes that are deterred because the would-be assailants suspected that their would-be victims might be armed – guns are used for self-defense! Oh really – what self defense? Both the FBI and the Justice Dept. report that “self defense” claims are used by people charged with crimes involving a shooting. Last year alone, it was used in more than 5,000 cases nationwide, including murders and felony assault with a deadly weapon. Courts agreed the defendants – are you sitting down – acted in self-defense in only 250 cases. In other words, of the known 5,000 cases, at least 4,750 shootings had nothing to do with self-defense. Only a terrorist organization would be as sanguine or callous about rampant murder of innocent Americans as LaPierre and his cronies at the Cato Institute and the NRA.
The idiocy of the left....... It speaks for itself.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2447
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

just another guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The founders would hang every "progressive" if they could. Maybe you need to lay off the marijuana.
Sorry Forrest, but you conservative troglodytes never change! You love to wield the “will of the Founding Fathers” like a sword. How hypocritical. In their day, these men were the leading edge of progressivism!
It was progressive thought that gave us freedom of speech, democracy, abolished slavery, replaced superstition with science, and in so doing, dragged the conservatives kicking and screaming into the future (as usual). If we want to prepare, we must continually revamp antiquated thinking with new ideas.
As for freedom, it was not a conservative idea. Had conservatism prevailed, we would all be paying allegiance to the King. While the liberals prevailed among the leading elite, conservatives did their best to install George Washington as the King of the New World!
So much for your misguided fantasy of progressives ...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2448
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

okimar wrote:
<quoted text>The idiocy of the left....... It speaks for itself.
The Cato Institute - nawh comeon!
Besara

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2449
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Forrest, but you conservative troglodytes never change! You love to wield the “will of the Founding Fathers” like a sword. How hypocritical. In their day, these men were the leading edge of progressivism!
It was progressive thought that gave us freedom of speech, democracy, abolished slavery, replaced superstition with science, and in so doing, dragged the conservatives kicking and screaming into the future (as usual). If we want to prepare, we must continually revamp antiquated thinking with new ideas.
As for freedom, it was not a conservative idea. Had conservatism prevailed, we would all be paying allegiance to the King. While the liberals prevailed among the leading elite, conservatives did their best to install George Washington as the King of the New World!
So much for your misguided fantasy of progressives ...
Progressivism? Naw. The Founding Fathers were not into Big Government like the Progressives of today are.
Try again, Frank.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2450
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, why did the war occur? Could it be a desire for independence from oppressive rule? The British also attempted to outlaw firearms in America.
Liberals? Can’t compare the “liberals” of the colonial days to modern day liberals. You modern day liberals are afraid of everything. Give you a few more years and you’ll piss yourself simply by looking at a photo of a gun.
The ignorance in your blissful stupidity is nothing short of spectacular. In fact, if it was not for your cranium you'd have to carry a pound of dog shit in a plastic baggy!!!
Besara

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2451
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mountain William wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pro gun and I just wanted to tell you, you are not helping our cause with your misinformation.
The CDC shows Number of deaths: 31,347 in 2011.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
Everybody with a brain knows that or can find that out, Lil Ticked
Go back to Rose and the vermin on the Immigration Topix Board to amaze with your stupidity.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2452
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Besara wrote:
<quoted text>Progressivism? Naw. The Founding Fathers were not into Big Government like the Progressives of today are.
Try again, Frank.
Huh? What is big government (other than a t-bag talking point)?
When did big government begin? Right-wingers seem to think federal spending went out of control around their tenth birthday, clearly none of you have any sort of historical perspective.
Washington formed its big spending habit long before any living conservative was born, and long before Franklin or Teddy Roosevelt. According to “real” historians the turn away from strong limits on federal government was the Civil War.
As a percentage of GDP, U.S. government spending lingered in the low single-digit range all the way through to the 1930s, peaked at 45% in 1944, troughed at 12% in 1948 (the first full year after World War II demobilization), and stands at 21% today.

President Lincoln levied real estate, excise, sales, and license taxes on a wide range of goods and services, and imposed an income tax on all incomes over $600 ($10,500 in 1995 prices) at rates ranging from 5% to 10%. To enforce it all, Lincoln introduced the Internal Revenue bureaucracy. Lincoln also raised tariffs from an average of 20% to an average of 47% by war's end. Republican protectionism continued to dominate trade policy...for the next three-quarters of a century.

Establishing a permanently big government were the large spending programs and new federal agencies that started with the Civil War and never ended. The federal government's first system of old-age and disability insurance was veterans' pensions, which grew from 2% of all federal spending in 1866 to 29% in 1884. The Department of Agriculture began during the war, as did the Government Printing Office, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and the National Academy of Sciences--set up in 1863 to seek technological innovations useful for the war effort. The first federal Department of Education wasn't created in 1867.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2453
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dan Salazar wrote:
People who want to arm Teachers are crazy. They are UNION. They can't be trusted to protect anyone but themselves.
Trust a right-wing crazy or a gun nut to find the most absurd possible reason for NOT arming teachers.

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2454
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it most certainly is "up to" those of us who are sick and tired of seeing our tax money supporting lazy pieces of crap who wouldn't work if their lives depended on it.
Keep up the slander and abuse, it should guarantee more Democratic victories at the polls.

Wonderful to see your own side self-destructing and melting down like that!:)
Frank

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2455
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

One could argue that it is Reagan who is the father of our massive national debt. Reagan tripled the national debt in his eight years in office with his obsession of the cold war. Reagan got Congress to cut taxes but never made the proportionate spending cuts. On his watch the debt surpassed a once-unheard-of $1 trillion in Reagan's first year in office, and it was nearly $3 trillion when he left. A modern precedent had been set. A scant 22 years after he left office, the debt has ballooned to $14 trillion with an additional $1.5 trillion coming this fiscal year. Except for wars and economic depressions, this growth in debt was virtually unprecedented. Even during the Vietnam War, the rise of the Great Society and the "guns and butter" debate of the '60s, the federal debt rose only from about $285 billion in 1960 to $370 billion in 1970.
Besara

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2456
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? What is big government (other than a t-bag talking point)?
When did big government begin? Right-wingers seem to think federal spending went out of control around their tenth birthday, clearly none of you have any sort of historical perspective.
Washington formed its big spending habit long before any living conservative was born, and long before Franklin or Teddy Roosevelt. According to “real” historians the turn away from strong limits on federal government was the Civil War.
As a percentage of GDP, U.S. government spending lingered in the low single-digit range all the way through to the 1930s, peaked at 45% in 1944, troughed at 12% in 1948 (the first full year after World War II demobilization), and stands at 21% today.
President Lincoln levied real estate, excise, sales, and license taxes on a wide range of goods and services, and imposed an income tax on all incomes over $600 ($10,500 in 1995 prices) at rates ranging from 5% to 10%. To enforce it all, Lincoln introduced the Internal Revenue bureaucracy. Lincoln also raised tariffs from an average of 20% to an average of 47% by war's end. Republican protectionism continued to dominate trade policy...for the next three-quarters of a century.
Establishing a permanently big government were the large spending programs and new federal agencies that started with the Civil War and never ended. The federal government's first system of old-age and disability insurance was veterans' pensions, which grew from 2% of all federal spending in 1866 to 29% in 1884. The Department of Agriculture began during the war, as did the Government Printing Office, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and the National Academy of Sciences--set up in 1863 to seek technological innovations useful for the war effort. The first federal Department of Education wasn't created in 1867.
Frank, see New Deal. That's when the behemoth of government grew. Of course one who depends on the government for his sustenance like yourself thinks FDR was the Pope.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Punta Gorda Forum right now

Search the Punta Gorda Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 55 min Space Shrinker 2,932
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 4 hr Arthur 2,403
Buffalo Wings & Rings Grand Opening Social Medi... Jul 28 Buffalo Wings and Rings 1
Review: Laishley Crab House (Dec '09) Jul 28 Scrappy 48
Desperate need for special guardians in Lee County Jul 27 LEO 477 3
Jackie White Jul 27 Stunner 1
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Jul 26 The Villager 2 2,065
•••
•••
•••
Punta Gorda Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Punta Gorda Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Punta Gorda People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Punta Gorda News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Punta Gorda
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••