With state budget details murky, loca...

With state budget details murky, local governments prepare for shared revenue cuts

There are 3 comments on the Green Bay Press-Gazette story from Mar 1, 2011, titled With state budget details murky, local governments prepare for shared revenue cuts. In it, Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that:

With Gov. Scott Walker's budget address and his deadline to approve the budget repair bill without layoffs set for today, some local governments are preparing for significant shared revenue cuts while others are putting a hold on planning until details become more concrete.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Oshkosh, WI

#1 Mar 2, 2011
Where covered up so much in manure now don't think we will ever dig ourselves ,state should go bankrupt , cut everything down then ,take back some that money they gave to the loan sharks ( credit card companies) by taxing them more ,to operate in our state

Bakersfield, CA

#2 Mar 5, 2011
It seems that bashing unions at the expense of union workers has become popular and the sport of politicians everywhere, all under the guise of 'saving taxpayer dollars.' Yet if it's truly about saving tax dollars and not merely attempts towards RICO style union busting, then why hasn't one politician at the federal, state, county or city level brought up the subject of reducing the salaries, benefits and pensions of politicians and all other government workers? Some of these Government workers helped contribute to the fiscal collapse we face, yet we reward them by keeping them around.

So what does a Governor, Congressman, State Senator, State Attorney, Tax Collector, Comptroller, Treasury Secretary, Judge, obama Czar, Education Secretary, Sheriff or Property Appraiser earn? What about the staff of the upper level politicians or the Dog Catcher or others on taxpayer payrolls? For example, what justifies giving some senators a pension for life after a single 4 year term in office - which includes medical for life? And why are these perks then passed onto their spouses upon their demise?

Also, no one's mentioned anything about going after the non-union negotiated government salaries and pensions - which are very often based on what the union members have negotiated - and sometimes it's even more - especially when they get to vote for their own raises. And while I wouldn't say it's justified, attacking union bosses I can understand, because some of them act like gangsters on par with the crooked and inept politicians they've used union member dues to purchase. But attacking unions as it's being done is hurting the union members and their families who're just trying to get by like everybody else. So if it's really about saving taxpayer dollars and not a veiled attempt at breaking up unions for big business, then let's go after all of the other groups mentioned here so we can really save taxpayer dollars - and let's begin with these wealthy politicians leading such a charge by their example. My guess is they'll slither away rather than attack their own.

Oak Creek, WI

#3 Mar 6, 2011
I voted for the lying snake Scott Walker. Tear down others with the battle cry "tax payers"

I have 25 years of Wisconsin state employment under my belt. I have a new attitude towards CERTAIN "tax payers"

It takes 11-20 years of state service to reach private sector average pay.(census date vs union contract or state non rep job posting all freely available on the web)

The benefits might make state employment attractive. The low pay is listed on the states own recruitment web site as one of the reasons they find it so hard to attract employees.

A new hire in my shop has elected to take no insurance because he cannot afford the low insurance payment and still meet monthly bills. When the Walker punishment kicks in he will have to quit unable to afford working there for even lower pay due to the mandatory pension deduction.

The public looking to attack in times of difficulty choose their victim to be public employees. They cite pensions and insurance but conveniently leave out the low pay.

There are 2 ways to have the biggest house on the block.

1-Build, bleed, sweat and end up with the biggest house.

2- Tear down any house bigger than yours.
The attacks on public employees so some can fantasize that they have a bigger house even though nothing has changed has radically changed my views of the public.
My own sister vigorously berates me simply because I am a public employee and says we all should be fired and replaced with "normal people" like her.- She paints finger nails on her little front porch for a living which apparently makes her a “tax payer “and the judge jury and executioner of public employees.

Now I say to heck with the public doing all the tearing down. Release the criminally insane, the molesters, the murderers, the rapists. The public demands that we lock up their problems and then berate us for having done so. Why? Because we are the enemy - public employees.

They approve by passing into law a compensation package deal of money, retirement and insurance and then berate us for having it. Focusing on only chosen elements.

Release the kids uneducated and ignorant. When the enemy public employee is gone and they need a victim to blame they can turn to spouse abuse and child abuse. The kids will be handy since they don’t go to school.

Get rid of all the services that the spoiled brat public takes for granted. The public doing all the tearing down can shovel their own streets, have an outhouse in the back yard. Lay off all the public employees and watch the public scream. Scott Walker and the anti-public employee supporters can start doing all the things that they don't have the guts or stomach to do. Like baby sit their own kids. Oops I mean teach them.

Walker gave about 140 million in tax breaks to corporations and then claims the public employee must suffer because he is about 140 million in deficit.

What Walker and his supporters do is attack those that do what the public demands. And find great comfort in this excuse for their actions "we are taxpayers"

Now if you will excuse me I must go to work in the prison with all the other enemy leaches on the "tax payers" At least my sister can be reasonably free of fear that criminals will bother her as she paints finger nails on her porch, finds great joy in berating me, and tirelessly supports Walker so he can stick it to those evil public employees. After all she is one of those fed up “tax payers” out to lynch public employees

Democrats contend that Walker seems to be more interested in changing Wisconsin's political dynamics than in financial stewardship. Even outside observers are starting to agree.

"What you've got is a governor who's come in with a great appetite for achieving his ends," said Norman J. Ornstein, a scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute.

"This is far more about power than it is about money."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pulaski Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Believe it or not, Illegal Aliens in Wisconsin ... 8 hr MAGA2016 1
Trump vs Clinton 2016 Sun MAGA2016 1
News Clinton has the mettle to face foreign policy t... Sun Glitter7145 2
News Wisconsin Dems Slam Trump Backers Oct 21 storm warning 2
Scott Foval, Hillary Contract Staffer, Says 1/2... Oct 18 former Democrat 1
News The Latest: Trump vows to clean up Washington Oct 17 Geezer 1
Will Chris Wallace Be Fair Oct 17 Trump Truth 1

Pulaski Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance