Group sues Monterey County Water Resources Agency over polluted runoff

Full story: Monterey County Herald

A lawsuit by an environmental group claims the Monterey County Water Resources Agency is illegally allowing polluted irrigation water to flow into the Salinas River and Elkhorn Slough.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Dec 29, 2012
Steve Shimek

Hollister, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

If anyone would like to actually read the complaint, it is posted on our website, www.otterproject.org . Follow the link on the homepage. Agricultural pollution is a very serious problem in Monterey County impacting the health of our residents, our ecosystems, and our wallets. Many municipalities in our county must treat the water to remove agricultural pollutants before distributing the water to city customers. People drinking from rural wells probably have no idea what they are drinking. We are not against agriculture -- I love a good salad! We just want the fertilizers and pesticides to stay on the farm and not pollute OUR water. MCWRA provides clean water to farmers and then disposes of -- or pumps -- the polluted wastewater into the Salinas River, Elkhorn Slough and Monterey Bay.
Chemo-ThereIPee

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Perkins does not want local County control of ag runoff because 'growers' would finally have to do something about pollutants from ag fields. Perkins is the one who is coming from 'left field' and he's protecting farming interests rather than considering the health of people and the environment. This is irresponsible and THAT's why this law suit is a must. Good luck though. Dealing with a local multi million dollar industry (Ag) is like taking on the energy cartels.
Another take

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Monterey County Weekly had this story last week: http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/archives/... @@index
Glenda Hernandez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

We live in 8709 archer rd prundale.And this water is killing us we know the water is polluted.Please help us and please contact me asap.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Prunedale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Prunedale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••