BP Shutting Down Large Alaska Oil Field

There are 10 comments on the Aug 6, 2006, The Associated Press story titled BP Shutting Down Large Alaska Oil Field . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

BP Exploration Alaska, Inc. began shutting down the Prudhoe Bay oil field Sunday after discovering unexpectedly severe corrosion and a small spill from a transit pipeline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Joe Smith

Claremore, OK

#1 Aug 7, 2006
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike...

Walk this way
Walk this way
Walk this way
Walk this way
Mcgyver

Davis, CA

#2 Aug 7, 2006
Wanna bet the price goes up 25 cents anyway
Easymoney

United States

#3 Aug 7, 2006
BELEIVE our Pundits! Did they lie regarding Iraq?
Diesel

Elmira, CA

#4 Aug 7, 2006
Brace yourself,$5 gas is coming soon.

157 mpg diesel built in Germany http://www.inboxnews.com/story/1163/
dickdaddy

Balsam Lake, WI

#5 Aug 7, 2006
And where is george whorehouse bush while all

this is happening? On vacation of course.

http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/diarypage.ph...

president george whorehouse bush needs

to go on a permanent vacation.

In reality, he should be on vacation behind bars doing 20 years

to life with three hots and a cot playing drop the liquid soap

with his new found boyfriends in prison.

Comments welcome!
ByeByeAmerica

United States

#6 Aug 7, 2006
Anyone notice that the world is pretty well freaked up and the United States is freaked up as well. Things are getting worse and worse. Anybody notice that or do you have your blinders on today. Better wake up and start smelling the roses or the decafe coffee.
hateful

Jackson, MS

#7 Aug 7, 2006
dickdaddy wrote:
And where is george whorehouse bush while all
this is happening? On vacation of course.
http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/diarypage.ph...
president george whorehouse bush needs
to go on a permanent vacation.
In reality, he should be on vacation behind bars doing 20 years
to life with three hots and a cot playing drop the liquid soap
with his new found boyfriends in prison.
Comments welcome!
Sound good to me.
Mark in McHenry

Cary, IL

#8 Aug 7, 2006
Well, it looks like it's here ... the Oil Crash that the global peak oil people have been warning about for some time now. It was predicted to hit full force between 2012 and 2025, given that application of the Hubbert's Peak theorem to global supplies. That theorem, set down in 1956, nailed peak U.S. production in 1970, which is about when we became a net importer. All we need now is a bigger blow-up in al-Septic Land than the one going on now or terrorists targeting the oil infrastructure in all the Third World cesspools, where unfortunately most of it seems to come from, and it's gonna be Mad Max time. Hope Mel is sober.

"The Great Depression of '07." Hmmm... Kinda neat how that rhymes.

MIM
Marie

Cortland, NY

#9 Aug 7, 2006
There's still oil out there.....

http://www.upi.com/Energy/view.php...

New oil field found in Kazakhstan

AKTOBE, Kazakhstan, July 6 (UPI)-- An oil field with an estimated 20 million barrels has been found in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, by a joint oil venture between Kazakhstan and South Korean firms.

The Yonhap News Agency reports early testing of the new field shows clean reserves with high quality and low water content.

State-run Korea National Oil Corp. and the South Korean LG International Corp. make up nearly 50 percent of a consortium with Kazakhstan companies.

Production of the oil field will begin next year. It is the fourth field in the Aktobe area.
Mark in McHenry

Cary, IL

#10 Aug 7, 2006
Marie wrote:
There's still oil out there.....
http://www.upi.com/Energy/view.php...
New oil field found in Kazakhstan
AKTOBE, Kazakhstan, July 6 (UPI)-- An oil field with an estimated 20 million barrels has been found in Aktobe, Kazakhstan, by a joint oil venture between Kazakhstan and South Korean firms.
The Yonhap News Agency reports early testing of the new field shows clean reserves with high quality and low water content.
State-run Korea National Oil Corp. and the South Korean LG International Corp. make up nearly 50 percent of a consortium with Kazakhstan companies.
Production of the oil field will begin next year. It is the fourth field in the Aktobe area.
My God, Marie. This is a joke!! Are you aware that the world currently consumes about 85 million barrels of crude every day? That's EVERY DAY! The United States alone consumes the equivalent of about 24 million barrels of crude every day! Yes, every day. If the Kazakis or whatever they are called are able to extract even 70 percent of what's in the ground (you never, never get it all, even with hydro-injection), it still wouldn't cover the U.S. for a day.

The fact is, no super-giant fields like the Saudi Ghawar field have been discovered since the 1960s. None. Prudhoe Bay is not a super-giant, by any means. The life span to peak production of oil fields like Ghawar are about 40 years. Do the math.

Right now, the world is largely dependent on the bearded potentates and insane dervishes of the Medievel East and their claims that they will actually be able to satisfy the world's projected need for 120 million barrels a day by 2020. Passages in the Koran also say that it is Muslim's duty to lie to his enemies with a smile on his face. You want to bet the farm on what those lying A-holes say?

The fact is, oil will be around for hundreds of years yet. That is not in dispute. However, declining supplies of reasonably priced and relatively easily extractable oil will occur soon, with the potential to topple Western, industrial civilization unless we find workable, alternative sources and types of liquid fuels for transportation and damned soon.

At the current global rate of consumption (85 million barrels a day), 20 million extra barrels will stave off the reckoning by about six hours.

I've researched the hell out of this for the past three years since I learned about the undisputed reality of global peak. I had an email conversation with an analyst at the highly respected Stratfor.com who admitted that peak is coming, but disagreed on the timescale. In fact, the only thing that's in dispute is the timeline, with the most optimistic projections looking out 25 years. Of course, there are some industry-supported kooks (also known as "Cornucopians") who use their fuzzy credentials to claim that the easy oil will never run out, but then there are a few serious-sounding global warming deniers, too, who also have lots of degrees to back them up. Not a lot in climate science, but what the hell.

Truth is, with regard to the fuels we need to run our cars and get to our jobs, we're in trouble. We had 30 years worth of warning to deal with this inevitability. We blew it. It may not take nukes to bring down the West ... just lots of SUVs.

MIM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prudhoe Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Putting the hammer down: Sterling woman to be f... (Jun '09) Jan '15 Tundra Wookie 4
An Affair In Prudhoe Bay (Jun '14) Nov '14 slipperyslope 5
Schlumberger Men just full of cheaters!!! (Nov '10) Oct '14 slipperyslope 4
News Bulletin 02/09/14 (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ray 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
News Shell learning about the Arctic the hard way (Nov '12) Nov '12 Eric 1
Free Alaska Pipeline on-line novel (Nov '12) Nov '12 Mike de Anahein 1
More from around the web

Prudhoe Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]