BP Stops 100,000 Barrels Of Oil Output Due To Leak

There are 19 comments on the WCCO-TV story from May 22, 2007, titled BP Stops 100,000 Barrels Of Oil Output Due To Leak. In it, WCCO-TV reports that:

BP said Tuesday it will shut down 100,000 barrels, or one quarter, of its Alaskan oil production for a "few days" after discovering a water pipeline leak.

Analysts said the temporary loss of output at Prudhoe Bay should not have a dramatic impact on world oil markets, but with supplies already tight and crude futures trading near $66 a barrel, any snag in the industry tends to make energy traders jittery.

Light sweet crude for June delivery fell 32 cents to $65.95 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCCO-TV.

Coolmind

United States

#1 May 22, 2007
reminds me that we support Alaska like it's a welfare state with fuel costs. I don't think they pay much of any kind of taxes there... we pay it for them at the pump.
toasted

Morton, WA

#2 May 22, 2007
Its another excuse to raise prices at the pump. Meanwhile on the L.A. freeways, they are having a tailgate party.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#3 May 22, 2007
USA burns 21 million barrels every day. BP will stop 1/2 %? I'm sure the traders will figure a way to use it to raise the price and increase their pofits.... enough for another BMW.

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#5 May 22, 2007
Wasnt there an investiagtion sometime back about a lack of maintenance on the pipe line?
geico hunter

Baltimore, MD

#7 May 22, 2007
schmitty wrote:
just another excuse for gas prices to skyrocket and the oil comps to continue making record profits off of our meager budgets! oil comps are in it to make tons of cash off the middleclass! they do not care about America or Americans!
i shall make this an excuse to get a new 35 mpg to replace my 17 mpg.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#8 May 23, 2007
afveteran wrote:
<quoted text>
There's only 50,000 people in the whole state. And they all work. C'Mon, give us a break!
But how much of your pay goes to taxes compared to mine? What is your rate of fed income tax? State income tax? State sales tax? The rest of the USA supports Alaska residents thru fuel taxes. We pay AK residents for AK oil like you guys worked to make it. It's all back room politics... no offense intended to you or other AK residents.:)
Peace.

“I'm not here to argue, dammit.”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#11 May 23, 2007
Barry Champlain wrote:
It's just constantly amazing how these "operational interruptions" miraculously seem to happen just in time to be the fallback justification for artificially jacking up the price of gas right before a national holiday.
Remember this before you call me a "conspiracy whacko" when some similar "accident" happens right around June 30th and August 30th.
hey, i wouldn't put it past them.

unrelated but whenever oil companies jack up prices, i can't help but think about economics class...and that old game, prisoner's dilemma....
simple

Dallas, TX

#12 May 23, 2007
Wow, cool mind, very nice pic, and intelligent. Have a great day.
Basketball Dood

United States

#13 May 24, 2007
I think we should urge congress to pass an EXCESSIVE PROFITS TAX on the oil companies. Thats when you'll see gas prices go down!
Too much

Cartersville, GA

#14 May 24, 2007
Because liberals have refused to allow new refinery's to be built, America now has to import gasoline refined overseas.

Because liberals refuse to allow drilling in Anwar, the Gulf of Mexico and the tip of Florida, we have no new reserves of our own, either

The blame lies on the left...and, perhaps some collusion among international traders.

The fact the oil went up when Saudi Arabia arrested 172 terrorist BEFORE they could strike SHOULD have made the price go DOWN...instead, it went up.
Too much

Cartersville, GA

#15 May 24, 2007
Coolmind wrote:
<quoted text>
But how much of your pay goes to taxes compared to mine? What is your rate of fed income tax? State income tax? State sales tax? The rest of the USA supports Alaska residents thru fuel taxes. We pay AK residents for AK oil like you guys worked to make it. It's all back room politics... no offense intended to you or other AK residents.:)
Peace.
I heard, on NPR, today that Alaskans have to pay around $7 a gallon. Why? No refinerys.

I also heard that Chicago (liberal) pays 80 cents a gallon in gas taxes.

...Besides, the Democrats were supposed to fix all of this! They are in power and the price of gasoline is higher than ever!

I told you folks, the Democrats screw you worst.
Too much

Cartersville, GA

#16 May 24, 2007
siren627 wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, i wouldn't put it past them.
unrelated but whenever oil companies jack up prices, i can't help but think about economics class...and that old game, prisoner's dilemma....
Why are liberals not out pushing for hydrogen instead running up the price of food staples the 3rd world and other poor depend upon? Turning food into gas is stupid.

Hydrogen is obtainable. Iceland is close to implementing it, even BMW (among others) has built a hydrogen operated car!!!

Wake up, people.
Too much

United States

#18 May 25, 2007
Barry Champlain wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry. Did you have anything relevant, useful, original, poignant, inspired or non-hearsay to post?
Or are you limited to only what Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly and Rove tell you it's okay to say?
Pretty sure we already know the answer.
Better hurry, Rush's show starts soon, and you don't want to miss finding out what your opinion is today.
I notice you cut out the daming parts...like a good lefty. When you can't refute the facts, attck the messenger.

Love to shoot you down, all the info was from National Public Radio...
Blip

United States

#20 May 25, 2007
afveteran wrote:
The issue here in this piece is Alaska oil.
Please leave the discussion if you aren't going to discuss the oil situation in Alaska.
See you see fit to try and limit discussion on this open forum, the issue here is:

"BP Stops 100,000 Barrels Of Oil Output Due To Leak"

- make sure you stick to that subject only, no latitude allowed.
Blip

United States

#21 May 25, 2007
afveteran wrote:
The issue here in this piece is Alaska oil.
Please leave the discussion if you aren't going to discuss the oil situation in Alaska.
Bad Boy, you've already deviated!!! Look at what you wrote earlier:

"Half of what you commented on is false. I'd like to know why 28% of my F.I.T. load is being spent on rebuilding a city that is non-rebuildable and should be bulldozed and filled in.
I also take exception to my tax dollar being spent in a ghetto slum like Detroit, where 90 % of our white people have fled from.
I also would like to know why California and Texas must fight the illegal alien alone. We have enough national guard ("national" guard means guarding the entire nation, not just one state) to defend them from these dastardly invaders.
There's more involved here than having 50,000 white Alaskans receiving their well earned tax dollars for home use."

Spank yourself and go find a forum about New Orleans, Detroit, Ghettos, illegal aliens, and the national guard.
Blip

United States

#24 May 26, 2007
afveteran wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual you've taken the answer out of context.
From what I saw, you did the same...which was my point.

...and what do you mean, "as usual"...I've never heard of you before.
Blip

United States

#26 May 26, 2007
afveteran wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an example of a comment that serves no purpose and doesn't delve into the mix.
So is this...just as your original one was. Tit for tat...
Too much

Powder Springs, GA

#28 May 26, 2007
afveteran wrote:
This section of the forum is for discussion of Alaskan oil and the ramifications of the stoppage. Those that are deviating from the commentary please cease and desist.
The King has spoken.
Rene

United States

#30 May 27, 2007
Another excuse to get gas up to the $4 for the summer, then another excuse to drive it to $5...no end, so drive it or park it..

We'll never see and excess profit tax in this century...greed must prevail and it's doing a great job...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prudhoe Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Putting the hammer down: Sterling woman to be f... (Jun '09) Jan '15 Tundra Wookie 4
An Affair In Prudhoe Bay (Jun '14) Nov '14 slipperyslope 5
Schlumberger Men just full of cheaters!!! (Nov '10) Oct '14 slipperyslope 4
News Bulletin 02/09/14 (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ray 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
News Shell learning about the Arctic the hard way (Nov '12) Nov '12 Eric 1
Free Alaska Pipeline on-line novel (Nov '12) Nov '12 Mike de Anahein 1
More from around the web

Prudhoe Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]