American to charge $15 for 1st checked bag, cut flights

Full story: Daily Breeze

Patricia Benson of Prosper, Texas, left, helps her mom, Susan Thomas of Newport Beach, Calif., check her bags with American Airlines Skycap Ernest Frimpong at Terminal A at Dallas-Fort Worth International ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Aug 6, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Redondo Beach

#1 May 21, 2008
American airlines is going down. They do not consider their passengers as important. It is like they are sinking rapidly and the hell with everyone, they are fighting for their lives. Sad indeed. If they treated the passengers like Southwest Airlines does then perhaps it would be a different story.

This is like the revenge of most of their very unhappy passengers. A few weeks ago they stranded their passengers, that was an act someone who could care less. The years of horrible seating in couch, cramped like a sardine can, crappy food, horrible service, late flights, equipment problems and worse.

It is time to pay the piper. I hope Southwest buys them out for pennies on the dollar and then rehires all the employees and teaches them all how to treat your clients, the passengers.

Southwest please remember to space out the seating so people can breathe and have room to wiggle our toes.

American Airlines: Life is full of choices. All choices have consequences.
south bay

Fullerton, CA

#2 May 21, 2008
This is the stupidest thing I ever heard! American is just being greedy. It doesn't cost extra fuel, if a passenger is allowed one decent size suitcase with an average weight. Are travellers now expected to fly with just the clothes on their backs? Forget vacations, much less the need to change your underwear! Does this mean the flight attendants must go without also,or are they the exceptions to this rule? What's good for the goose has to be good for the gander!
Los Angeles

Fullerton, CA

#3 May 21, 2008
So American is the first to start charging. It'll be a matter of time until the other airlines follow suit. As a frequent flyer, I'll have to start flying other airlines. This greed will be the downfall of many airlines to come. Less and less people will travel; more employees will be let go and airline bankrupts will increase. What a shame...what's this country coming to?
Valencia

Fullerton, CA

#4 May 21, 2008
BobFox wrote:
American airlines is going down. They do not consider their passengers as important. It is like they are sinking rapidly and the hell with everyone, they are fighting for their lives. Sad indeed. If they treated the passengers like Southwest Airlines does then perhaps it would be a different story.
This is like the revenge of most of their very unhappy passengers. A few weeks ago they stranded their passengers, that was an act someone who could care less. The years of horrible seating in couch, cramped like a sardine can, crappy food, horrible service, late flights, equipment problems and worse.
It is time to pay the piper. I hope Southwest buys them out for pennies on the dollar and then rehires all the employees and teaches them all how to treat your clients, the passengers.
Southwest please remember to space out the seating so people can breathe and have room to wiggle our toes.
Yes...life if full of choices. I choose to fly other airlines!
Sunflower

Los Angeles, CA

#5 May 22, 2008
Why don't we just do something to cut the cost of fuel!,,,Fees have gone up on everything...We need alternative fuel!
The Enforcer

Newport Beach, CA

#7 May 22, 2008
Veteran pilots are still making over 250k per year, working a relatively few days a month. Cabin attendants don't work that many days either. The airlines can get more bang for their buck here, if they have the guts. But they don't.
Kathy

Redondo Beach, CA

#8 May 22, 2008
I think first luggage checked in should be free. AA is not making money this way - they are turning customers away. There are other airlines - lots of them.
Not True Kimo Sabe

Salisbury, NC

#9 May 22, 2008
The Enforcer wrote:
Veteran pilots are still making over 250k per year, working a relatively few days a month. Cabin attendants don't work that many days either. The airlines can get more bang for their buck here, if they have the guts. But they don't.
The only place your assertions are generally true is among pilots/FAs at Southwest Airlines. Although even they have to work far more than a few days to do very well, Enforcer. Other wise, you are 'WAY' WRONG. However, Fedex and UPS flight crews can make that much with ease. So why do people complain about spending the equivalent of many people's bar tabs to SAFELY get somewhere, but don't complain about spending $35.00 to get an envelope somewhere overnight?
Obomination

United States

#10 May 22, 2008
I have always hated checking bags so I learned how to pack everything I need in a duffle bag that I carry on. I have gone to DC 38 times in the last 7 years sometimes for months at a time. Learn to pack light and roll your clothes. Like me you may learn that you don't really need to pack that much stuff anyways.
It Could be Worse

Salisbury, NC

#11 May 22, 2008
Los Angeles wrote:
So American is the first to start charging. It'll be a matter of time until the other airlines follow suit. As a frequent flyer, I'll have to start flying other airlines. This greed will be the downfall of many airlines to come. Less and less people will travel; more employees will be let go and airline bankrupts will increase. What a shame...what's this country coming to?
If you follow what's been happening with the European airlines, LA, you'll learn that Dublin borne admitted SWA clone RyanAir is the fastest growing, most profitable, and generally one of the cheapest airlines (so it would seem) that one can travel on in Europe.

But if you examine their fares you'll see that A LA CARTE PRICING brings a family's TOTAL TICKET COSTS on one of their WINDOW SHADELESS-NON-RECLINING-tightl y spaced flights to be very comparable to the long standing standards of Europe (ie British Airways, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, etc). The difference in flying RyanAir is in all the hassle and expense of renting a car to drive to airports 1-2hrs away from where you really want to go, paying for EVERY drink or snack you want, paying for EVERY piece of checked luggage, and not having many service options available should flights cancel, etc. But HEY, Europeans are VALIDATING THEIR BUSINESS MODEL like crazy, thereby putting pressure on the 'traditionals' to match prices and CUT SERVICE LEVELS. Sound familiar, LA? Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's where/what the country is coming to.
Valencia

Fullerton, CA

#12 May 22, 2008
It Could be Worse wrote:
<quoted text>
If you follow what's been happening with the European airlines, LA, you'll learn that Dublin borne admitted SWA clone RyanAir is the fastest growing, most profitable, and generally one of the cheapest airlines (so it would seem) that one can travel on in Europe.
But if you examine their fares you'll see that A LA CARTE PRICING brings a family's TOTAL TICKET COSTS on one of their WINDOW SHADELESS-NON-RECLINING-tightl y spaced flights to be very comparable to the long standing standards of Europe (ie British Airways, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, etc). The difference in flying RyanAir is in all the hassle and expense of renting a car to drive to airports 1-2hrs away from where you really want to go, paying for EVERY drink or snack you want, paying for EVERY piece of checked luggage, and not having many service options available should flights cancel, etc. But HEY, Europeans are VALIDATING THEIR BUSINESS MODEL like crazy, thereby putting pressure on the 'traditionals' to match prices and CUT SERVICE LEVELS. Sound familiar, LA? Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's where/what the country is coming to.
Who cares what's happening in Europe? Do we live there? Didn't think so. Since when is it a good thing to keep up with the "Jones'?" Your comments make it seem that U.S. doesn't have a mind of its own.
Interesting

Salisbury, NC

#13 May 22, 2008
Valencia wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what's happening in Europe? Do we live there? Didn't think so. Since when is it a good thing to keep up with the "Jones'?" Your comments make it seem that U.S. doesn't have a mind of its own.
Duhhhh, who said anything about keeping up with the Jones'? Furthermore, having traveled throughout Europe, I'm not so smug to believe we shouldn't study their successes and learn from their mistakes, be they business, social, political, and otherwise, Valencia. Thank you very much. That said, the PREDICTABLE CAUSE-EFFECT trend is what is important. Airline service that would have been rated as utilitarian by the standards of the late 70's is NOW the norm today. Why?! Because the majority of Americans (and now Europeans as their markets become deregulated) are using the power of market share to confirm their preference for low-low 'initial'ticket prices OVER service levels. This is similar to the reason why Wal*Mart keeps opening new stores while Sears scales back, even though Wal*Mart merchandise isn't always better quality nor lower priced. Simply put, everyone wants to copy a winner. So if torture-chamber Ryan Air can become one of the most profitable airlines in the world by charging its customers for 'a la carte' services, DON'T BE SURPRISED IF THIS IS COPIED BY US AIRLINE MANAGEMENT. The point is that if YOU, as a US consumer, want higher quality and service then you must show your preference for this by supporting the companies that provide the service you want, irrespective of cost and inconvenience or they will disappear.

Since: May 08

United States

#14 May 22, 2008
BobFox wrote:
i cancelled a flight tried to call customer service they referred me to their web site i submitted my request to reshedule, when i tried to get my flight they could find a record of my email request. i'll ride value-jet before i'll ride with them
Love and Happiness

Spring Hill, FL

#15 May 22, 2008
Valencia wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...life if full of choices. I choose to fly other airlines!
ok...More open Seats for non-revs
No Name Please

Woodland Hills, CA

#16 May 22, 2008
If you think the numbnuts that try to check their over-sized bags, thus inconveniencing the experienced travelers is bad now, wait until all the airlines start doing this. Flights will never take off on time as the "gate checks" become an endless wait...
ramprat

Galt, CA

#17 May 22, 2008
Kathy wrote:
I think first luggage checked in should be free. AA is not making money this way - they are turning customers away. There are other airlines - lots of them.
Kathy. Next week if you fly American every seat will be full. Every plane will be full to the doors with passengers waiting. I'm amazed they haven't done this a long time ago. 2 or 3 bags is the norm plus a carryon or two and a purse and a diaper bag and or camera bag. Laptop, briefcase and anything and everything you can think of is hauled by passengers. In the winter heavy coats, hats etc. In summer , surfboards, bikes, all kinds of camping gear. Pets of every kind. There is only so much room underneth your seat in the cargo bin. The airlines make real profit from hauling freight and mail and if they have to pull that to put on more bags than they loose revenue. You think that you are the only one that has luggage. If there are 200 seats on an airplane then there close to 400 bags+++. Get used to it. This is just the begenning of fare increases. They have cut everything except the CEO's golden parachute and now the passenger get's to pay his/her full share.
ramprat

Galt, CA

#18 May 22, 2008
No Name Please wrote:
If you think the numbnuts that try to check their over-sized bags, thus inconveniencing the experienced travelers is bad now, wait until all the airlines start doing this. Flights will never take off on time as the "gate checks" become an endless wait...
No name. When a passenger gets to the TSA and has more than one carryon and it's way to big they should be turned back to the ticket counter and stand in the long line to pay for that bag to be handled. A couple times of retraceing their steps throuigh a croweded terriminal and paying up and they won't ever take a oversized carryon or more than one carryon. Passengers have to be taught they can't game the systym. The overheads can only hold so much. It's going to be fun to watch when this extra bag charge goes into effect. The screaming and swearing will be fun to watch. Better just shut your mouth and pay up or you go to the back of the line and maybe you'll make your plane but maybe not. The agents will have their hands full of irate passengers and that will get old real quick. I know agents that just wait for the guy to slam his fist on the counter and yell,'Don't you know who I am'. These people get special treatment. It's no fun getting yelled at all day and there are ways to make your life miserable. Bet on it. Be nice and pay what you have to and have a nice flight. Or get all excited, start yelling, stomp your feet. Maybe you'll get your bags or maybe they will go to Fargo. Your new at this and the agents do it all day everyday. They have to put up with the rude crude passengers and know how to deal with them.
Still NWA Soon Delta

Rialto, CA

#19 May 22, 2008
Let's see now. Fares still below what it really costs to carry a passenger.

Bags add more weight to aircraft thus burning more fuel.

Oil at $133 bbl

Do the math
Want to drive instead? OK,$4.00 dollars a gallon headed to the sky
some predict $6 gal gas in 6-24 months ($200 bbl)

Not pretty for anyone. But you can't operate at a loss continually.

I fear more hikes in the future.

Pack wisely and plan hotels with washers/dryers so you don't need as many clothes. It's what it is guys
BinHogs

United States

#20 May 23, 2008
I cant wait to see how this backfires!

Can you imagine the OVERHEAD BINS NOW?
You thought it was bad before.

People will be trying to CARRY ON EVERYTHING!!!

Good Grief AA. Nice.
Spock

United States

#21 May 23, 2008
BinHogs wrote:
I cant wait to see how this backfires!
Can you imagine the OVERHEAD BINS NOW?
You thought it was bad before.
People will be trying to CARRY ON EVERYTHING!!!
Good Grief AA. Nice.
If people try to carry everything they will be delayed at security before they get near the gate and inconvenience themselves.

And I will breeze through with my carryon because as of yesterday I learned that $15 will be charged for first bag after June 15th.

So after June 15th I know they will charge $15 for first bag......because that is what I read.......which means I will have carryon,pay $15 or fly another airline.
Or be stupid and miss your flight because you tried to take too much as carryon,turned away,and are now forced to check your bags and pay the $15 because you failed to comprehend weeks before June 15th.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prosper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 42 min Liberal forever 22,335
Terri Bauer Needs to Resign (May '12) 1 hr research first du 93
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr That Fart Guy 17,911
Debate: Marijuana - McKinney, TX (Aug '10) 3 hr John 30
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of the Gene... (Oct '10) 5 hr That Fart Guy 337
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 5 hr That Fart Guy 528
New Paintball Field in Mckinney is now open! Sun paintballman 1
•••

Prosper News Video

•••
•••

Prosper Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Prosper People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE