Prosper ISD Bond Election - Prop 1 is...

Prosper ISD Bond Election - Prop 1 is an INCREASE not a rollback

Posted in the Prosper Forum

Bruce

Grand Prairie, TX

#1 Oct 23, 2007
We all need to be careful.
The language being used is a problem.
"Net Result -$0.13 reduction..."

Just like another city in TX that was left with very bad feelings around the same vote
http://www.elpasotimes.com/opinion/ci_7205330
we need to be careful.

Prop 1 is an INCREASE in the M&O tax rate.
They want to "rollback" the new state cap of 1.04 - by adding 13 more cents to 1.17.

They sent out USmail calling it a "net decrease", but that it is only compare to the 1.80 we all paid last year.

The bottom line
M&O if prop 1 passes 1.17 I&S .50 -$1.67
M&O if prop 1 does not 1.04 I&S .50 -$1.54

I am all for good schools, but the language being used is misleading.

Our PISD leaders should be direct with us.
Spell things out in simple terms, and help explain why they need $1.67.(not hide behind marketing that is confusing)

I am hoping the voters of Prosper ISD read this to help them decide.
(and I predict some upset feelings after this election)

-Bruce
David Toney

Dallas, TX

#2 Oct 30, 2007
I have been involved in at least 6 different home meetings as well as larger public forums and the administration and school board have been very clear about the increase/decrease situation.

The rollback is asking for a 13 cent increase from the $1.04 the state is proposing yet still an decrease of 13 cents from last year's tax rate. There has been a concentrated effort to let people know the facts even though the 13 cent number can be confusing since the rollback and the decrease from last year are both 13 cents.

I think anyone who came to an information meeting or anyone who has taken the time to ask an administator/school board member would understand exactly what the election proposes. No one is being indirect or misleading.

Any questions about what the $1.17 Maintainance and operation tax rate would go for can easily be answered by looking at the district website or by calling Mr. Watkins. In short, the M & O money pays teachers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prosper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Garrett please read 15 min Ahead of you 216
Sarahbellumfit is a scam artist!! Apr 18 Be smart 244
News Texas middle school teachers resign after anti-... Apr 17 FART RESINS 31
superintendent resignation in Plano breaking news Apr 17 Anonymous 1
Shannon Bradshaw - Anybody know anything about ... (Feb '11) Apr 17 Hijab 12
Corruption in the Collin County Family Court Sy... (Sep '10) Apr 15 PlanoParent 102
News "A Sign of the Times, Even in Eldorado" copyrig... (Oct '11) Apr 15 Johnny Rigo 37

Prosper Jobs

Personal Finance

Prosper Mortgages