Review: Complete Outdoor Concepts

Posted in the Prosper Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Robert Ellis

Allen, TX

#1 Oct 3, 2008
Won't return phone calls. Didn't finish a friends job. Flaked out. Don't do business with him.
gary

United States

#2 Dec 11, 2008
Robert Ellis wrote:
Won't return phone calls. Didn't finish a friends job. Flaked out. Don't do business with him.
who are you, i have never heard of you for youu to be trashing my name. i have finished 100% of the jobs that i have taken on. please call me if you feel that you have negative things to say about my company.
David Stapleton

Frisco, TX

#3 Apr 21, 2010
I just wanted to write a note to tell you how completely pleased we are with the job your company did in our backyard!

From the beginning of the process I have been completely impressed. I appreciate the fact that you returned my phone call and I had a bid within 24 hours! Your crew was very professional and exceeded my expectations with the quality of work. I have already passed out your cards to neighbors and friends. My contractor came by the other day and said he would definately recommend your company for any referrals he gets for outside work.

Thank you again for the great job you did! If we need any more work - I'll give you a call!
marc friedman

Odessa, TX

#4 Apr 25, 2010
wow gary did a great job on our patio and bbq grill. it came out perfect and i would recommend complete outdoor concepts to anybody. it looks great
Bill Dunn

The Colony, TX

#5 Apr 28, 2010
Gary and crew did a wonderful job on my pergola and patio extension. I am really enjoying my new living space. I highly recommend this company.
Mary

The Colony, TX

#6 Sep 19, 2010
I am very happy with the work that Complete Outdoor Concepts did for me. I have had so many complimentary comments on my patio and arbor. Gary was very attentive to the work that was being done...checking on workers several times a day. The work was done on a very timely basis. I am completely satisfied.
ATM

Aubrey, TX

#7 Jul 7, 2011
Hired Gary and his crew after getting several quotes on an 8 foot cedar fence. He told me he could offer me an "amazing deal" if we contracted the given week. Our contract was for 8 foot metal posts on 6 foot or less centers using grade A cedar and stainless steel nails. The problems began immediately when his brother came to my house to contract. Gary tried pulling a bait and switch and the contract that I was emailed with the 6 foot or less centers had been replaced by a contract with 8 foot centers. Problem A was rectified quickly. I was told work would begin within 2 weeks. 2 weeks after check was cashed I called to inquire. I was told lumber would be dropped off tomorrow and work would begin the following day. I had recently injured myself so I have been home many days and eagerly planned in watching the build. The next day the lumber arrived, at around 2 pm I called Gary and ask where his crew was. He said they would be a little late. They were finishing another job. Ok, they come and start digging and setting posts on 8 foot centers. I call Gary. Mention the issue and he says, "No, it's always 8 foot centers unless there is a retaining wall."
Really, then why do email quotes and contract other then the one he tried to get me to sign say 6 foot centers? Ther was never mention of a retaining wall. Gary calls the crew and they start to dig more holes and place posts every six feet.
I wish that was the last problem. However, they were just beginning.
ATM

Aubrey, TX

#8 Jul 7, 2011
The next day the rails started to go up. Im thinking, Man, this is going to be a nice fence. Gary's crew is the only positive part of his company. They are capable of quality work. Gary however, in what I can only assume is an effort to save money try's to cut corners and breached our contract on multiple occasions. After the rails were up the crew began placing pickets. Before they nailed any I noticed the box of 15 degree nails. The box did not say stainless. It was a brand new box from Texas tool traders. I noted the part number and phoned the company. I am not normally this inquisitive but after my bait and switch issue with the posts I felt I needed to monitor the remainder of the project. No surprise after my phone call, the nails were electro-galvanized. The lowest grade galvanized nail one can use. Now I'm upset. We are contracted for stainless steel nails. I call Gary and email him and tell him I hope it is an oversight. He says it is and says he is going to get stainless steel nails now. The following day the crew is there at 8:30 am and They start nailing pickets. I come home later that afternoon and go check on them. Guess what?
No stainless steel nails! We have now stepped up to Hot dipped galvanized. Still breaching the contract and now pissing me off. I email Gary and text him. He tells me I'm wrong. They are stainless steel nails. I had taken pictures of the boxes. Shot video of the workers using them and took a few of the nails just in case. They were not stainless, obviously. In fact the company who makes the nails he was using, Paslode does not even manufacture stainless steel nails. Oh and now instead of 1 3/4 inch nails they were using 2" nails so the tip of the nail has penetrated all the way through many of the rails. The fence did look pretty good from the front, however it was not built per contract and if you walk around it you can see the sharp tips of nails every 4-6 inches on every rail. Nails are also sticking through on the gates.
ATM

Aubrey, TX

#9 Jul 7, 2011
Cedar wood reacts poorly with metal in general but stainless steel nails will keep the wood from having the "run" lines that one so often sees on cedar fences. The lines that go down the wood from where it is nailed. The only reason I contracted with this guy was because on his contract he writes in all caps WE USE STAINLESS STEEL NAILS.
No Gary you don't. You probably get your business from people the go to work from 9-5, leave you in the back yard and never check your work. Beware of this company and it's owner.
With the fence already built and the owner calling and saying, "we are finished, Friday is payday, can we settle the final invoice." I said no. You built this fence with the wrong materials what are you going to to about it. He still tells me that he used stainless. I had to send a picture of the box to prove that I knew he didn't. This guy is unscrupulous. He said, "what do you want me to do? I can take down all the pickets and re-nail them with bigger stainless steel nails." Bigger Gary? you have already nailed through all the rails. I explained I didn't want to ruin all the pickets with new nail holes and prying them off the rails. I requested new lumber. Unreasonable, maybe, but the fence should never have been built with the wrong materials. That was the Gary's fault. And he proved to be nothing but a liar throughout the whole process.
Next he offers a $300 discount.$300 are you kidding? He told me the cost of the nails was $100 so he would give me $300 off. What a deal! Less then 10 percent off. You screwed up, wanted to save a few bucks, breached your own contract and now your going to give me $300 off wow, what a great business man. At this point I want to cut my losses and stop dealing with this dude.
ATM

Aubrey, TX

#10 Jul 7, 2011
I stop responding to his emails for a two days while he reflects on the joke that was his offer. Next day, "ok alex I'll give you $500 off I just want you to be happy."
Gary, I would have been happy to pay you $4000 (the amount contracted) for the fence if you used the right materials and didn't try to screw me and lie the whole time. But you did, and you breached your contract and now I have a fence built with materials that will cause it to look like crap within a year. Gary says, "you have a five year warranty" are you serious? Im thinking. You think I trust you will even entertain warranty work?!? Haha
I tell him He can take $1000 off and give me a paid in full reciept.$1000 off is alot off but I am NOT a happy customer. I shouldn't have given him a dollar. I wanted a fence built with stainless steel nails. I didn't get one. He responds the next day that he will take $1000 off and pick up the check later. I walk the fence one more time to look for issues. I find another! The metal posts are not capped. Great, I now have 8 foot steel rain gauges holding my fence up. I email Gary yet again and say if he wants his check he needs to come cap the posts. He says, the posts are covered by the 2x6 wood top cap and he could silicone the edges if I'd like. I don't know if Gary has ever seen one of his fences in person. I know he hasn't seen mine because not even a 1/4 inch of the post opening is covered by the topcap. He agrees with my assessment the posts are capped and I pay his brother, guess what his brother doesn't even bring a reciept. Takes me another day to get a reciept. His brother Mark was the only person I had face to face contact with. Very nice guy, maybe he should be in charge. The crew, also very nice. Very clean, my yard was cleaned very well when the work was completed. If you could hire Gary's crew on the side and have them build your fence they would get 5 stars. It's the owner who tells his employees what to do. I am sure he told them what materials to buy, to build on 8 foot centers and to not cap the posts. I am sure they were just following direction.
So please beware of Complete Outdoor Concepts. he has an A- rating from the BBB but if I had checked the BBB before contracting him I would have found someone else. He has had similar complaints before and I am sure they will only continue if customers pay attention to the work being done.
Good One

Garland, TX

#11 Jul 9, 2011
Well ATM, I see a lot of reviews look like people with axes to grind or shills for the owner but not yours. Very well written and believable. Glad you took pictures. This is why contractors should not get one dime until the job is done. I will remember this when getting quotes for my yard project.
ATM

Little Elm, TX

#12 Jul 14, 2011
Good One wrote:
Well ATM, I see a lot of reviews look like people with axes to grind or shills for the owner but not yours. Very well written and believable. Glad you took pictures. This is why contractors should not get one dime until the job is done. I will remember this when getting quotes for my yard project.
Thanks, yea, I wanted a great experience and fence and even would have liked to write a good review. My experience however was like nothing I've ever heard of or seen.
RedRaider1999

Aubrey, TX

#13 Jul 26, 2011
Complete Outdoor Concepts... where to begin? Conceptually probably a decent idea... in practice, far from it. Unscrupulous contractor alert!!! This guy tried everything in the book to screw me. I am a women not the most knowledgeable when it comes to building and construction. However the problems began with the contract, Gary quoted me one price and had all the terms on our contract that he emailed to me. He came to my house to sign and other then being a little creepy and sweet talking me about how great my outdoor kitchen was going to be and showing me pictures of other work... he quickly tried to get me to sign a different contract! different terms, same price? Different grades of concrete. Different stone thicknesses. I mentioned the discrepancies to him and he immediately back peddled and said he made a mistake, blah blah blah. We signed the contract he emailed me and he began work the following week. Never saw him once until it was time to pick up the final payment. The counter portion of my outdoor kitchen is not level. The grout/mortar? is already cracked and falling apart. I have no confidence in the "warranty" I don't want anyone from his company on my property again! STAY AWAY, do your homework. He has had some BBB complaints: A- is NOT an A there are plenty of other contractors that won't try to screw you and have an A+ rating
keith miller

Frisco, TX

#14 Sep 5, 2011
We had planned a patio cover for a few years, however because of different roof heights and angles, I was told by all other contractors that my design could not be built. At first sight, Gary saw my concepts and added a few ideas. His team of builders created the exact look that I had envisioned, which required some complex decision making on site,(including hiding an automatic screen we were installing). Mario is incredible. Gary's team built and painted the project to the point to where we could use the patio until the screen arrived.. After being backordered (by a different company) for three weeks, the screen arrived and was installed, and Mario and Ernie(painter) were back within 2 days to totally complete the project...LOOKS GREAT!
keith miller

Frisco, TX

#15 Sep 14, 2011
We had planned a patio cover for a few years, however because of different roof heights and angles, I was told by all other contractors that my design could not be built. At first sight, Gary saw my concepts and added a few ideas. His team of builders created the exact look that I had envisioned, which required some complex decision making on site,(including hiding an automatic screen we were installing). Mario is incredible. Gary's team built and painted the project to the point to where we could use the patio until the screen arrived.. After being backordered (by a different company) for three weeks, the screen arrived and was installed, and Mario and Ernie(painter) were back within 2 days to totally complete the project...LOOKS GREAT!

Since: Sep 11

Frisco, TX

#16 Sep 14, 2011
sorry i just reposted by accident and i was trying to post new report. i called gary and his guys to install a new 8' cedar fence for us and he installed it within the time that he said he would. we love the fence enad the privacy that we now have. we will continue to recommend Gary and his company.
PSR

Dallas, TX

#17 Sep 29, 2011
We had Gary install a patio cover that damaged. The work was done within the specified timeline, but the biggest compliment to make is about the workmanship and pride in the work that was done it is not very often that one finds people taking pride in what they are doing and delivering. The patio cover is great and we are enjoying how our backyard has been transformed.
tmocello

Frisco, TX

#18 Oct 11, 2011
We called Gary and he set a time to meet with us within 24 hours. after we met with him Gary sent us the bid that evening. Gary build us a built in BBQ, Cooler, Fridge and Bar Top out of Stone in our Back Pourch. He also built us a small sport court and basketball goal with a outdoor lighting system. Gary also finished installing a outdoor fireplace with a gas pizza oven this stonework has a new patio that is surrounded by our new wonderful landscaping with fountain. The work is the best part of our house and has been a great addition for us.
Member Comments: Gary was reffered by friends and we saw his work before we hired him. We got several bids his bid was not the cheapest. He was very professional and we were able to remove items and adjust our plans so we got everything we wanted. His team was friendly and promt, they worked cleaned up and finished as planed. They were helpful with us when we adjusted a few things durring the middle of our job. Gary was either at the job or had a person he introduced to us at all times we were very impressed.
Sylvia

Plano, TX

#19 Nov 14, 2011
Gary came out initially and gave what appeared to be a fair bid to construct my covered patio and stated that he would build it as if it were his own. His crew was great and worked long hours in the 100 degree heat to get the job done. Once work began Gary was seldom to be seen. When he did communicate it was typically via a text stating that "things looked good". On one particular day he stated that he had been out to check on things that morning which I thought was odd as I had not seen him. I asked his crew if he had been there and they stated "no". His only concern seemed to be when could we settle up with his final payment. He asked this on a few occasions, even before all the work was complete and even without doing a final punch list (which he never did). As another reviewer mentioned, he tried to cut some corners to save a buck. When I asked about some gutters that needed to be installed he mentioned that I would have to pay additional for this. I emailed him our signed contract showing that gutters were included and he played dumb and only then agreed to do it. He tried to get out of it by stating that his gutter guy had come out and said that it did not need gutters. When the gutter guy finally arrived to put up the gutters I asked him if he had been out previously to look at it and he said no. I asked him if gutters were needed in this location and he stated yes. Once again another fib from Gary to try and save a buck at his customers expense. Another example involves the wood siding trim in which some of the original wood trim was able to be re-used, but a few pieces had to be replaced. Rather than using real wood, they used a pressed wood product that swells and discolors when it gets wet (it's not meant for ourdoor use). Now, 3 months later, I am having someone else out to fix some of the mistakes. I called and left him a message asking for the stain color of the cedar and as no surprise to me he is not returning my call. I think there are much better choices out there for this type of work.
will keep you updated

Flower Mound, TX

#20 Jun 18, 2012
wish i would have read this. dealing with some major difficulties currently with him. will keep you updated as to the progress. wish i would have read this prior to start of this project.
ATM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, yea, I wanted a great experience and fence and even would have liked to write a good review. My experience however was like nothing I've ever heard of or seen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prosper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "A Sign of the Times, Even in Eldorado" copyrig... (Oct '11) Nov 20 Johnny Rigo 36
Crook umpiring our kids .. Nov 14 Cain 1
Olivia Mabel February 1994 (Feb '16) Nov 10 Kzkzkzkz 9
Looking for a diamond to propose Nov 1 Arkitec 1
Unfinished Home on N. Custer Road between ManeG... (Jun '14) Oct 30 Crazy guy 20
Michel Wayne davis Oct 30 Bounty hunter 2
Michael Wayne O'Guin (Sep '16) Oct 29 Amber h 5

Prosper Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prosper Mortgages