English In The Workplace Bill Passes ...

English In The Workplace Bill Passes House

There are 9 comments on the The Free Lance-Star story from Feb 19, 2008, titled English In The Workplace Bill Passes House. In it, The Free Lance-Star reports that:

“It's a great idea but it needs a little bit more clarification”

The House of Delegates yesterday passed a bill that says employers can't be sued for firing employees for not speaking English. via The Free Lance-Star

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Free Lance-Star.

Jonathan

Salem, WV

#1 Feb 20, 2008
That's awesome, it's about time... This is America, national Language is English and should be REQUIRED.
Concerned

Brightwood, VA

#2 Mar 1, 2008
America is loosing it's national idenity. The politically correct crowd are so fearful of offending someone, in the world, that they now want to make it a crime for Americans not to learn to speak the language of some foreigner.
Why are election ballots printed in so many languages??? If a person wants to live here and vote for those who are seeking election to public office, they should be required to learn english.
Some places have 3rd and 4th generations who still can't speak or read english. Why???
People used to come to America to melt into our nation. But the politically correct crowd now want those who come here to, fly the flag of the country they came from, speak the language of the country from which they came, and not to swear allegiance to America or learn english. The politically correct crowd are after votes and not really interested in America.
burqa

Fredericksburg, VA

#3 Mar 4, 2008
All they need to do is read some conservative economics from Thomas Sowell and understand the market will exert enough influence in the form of incentives and penalties for speaking English.

Immigrants are doing as they have done for 400 years in America.
The first generation has touble learning English but the next grows up with it.
Elements of the culture of the old country are preserved. All across this great nation we have enclaves of Chinatowns, Little Italys, areas where Greek, Romanian, Spanish, German and Armenian are widely spoken.
What would New Orleans be without the Creoles there?

Imagine Mardi Gras without laissez le bon ton roule!

This country has always been multilingual and has done just fine and will continue to do just fine as soon as we can stop all the emotional outcry whipping up base, xenophobic fears.
Richard Clark

San Diego, CA

#4 Apr 11, 2008
Now what about a employee who gets fired because he gets upset for other employees not speaking English? I at least thought there WAS a law making it a standard in the workplace.

I also agree heavily with burqa the first gen does have trouble but 2nd gen usually comes out with decent English.
jackie

Beverly Hills, CA

#5 Oct 3, 2008
I work in retail, everyone around me is talking spanish to each other, they all know english, but they choose to speak spanish to each other, I feel intimidated, and left out. what are my rights?
yea yea yea

Arlington Heights, IL

#6 Dec 1, 2008
jackie wrote:
I work in retail, everyone around me is talking spanish to each other, they all know english, but they choose to speak spanish to each other, I feel intimidated, and left out. what are my rights?
well it's just like u people tell us ..LEARN THE LANGUAGE FOOL...AHAHAHAHAHHAAH....WHAT' S WRONG IS THAT UR NOSIE AND JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT THEIR SAYING....TRUST ME IF I WANNA TALK ABOUT U I'M GONNA SAY IT TO UR FACE TO UR UNDERSTANDING...LEAVE US ALONE AND MIND UR OWN BUSINESS...
Yeah Right

Nicholasville, KY

#7 Aug 31, 2009
Concerned wrote:
America is loosing it's national idenity. The politically correct crowd are so fearful of offending someone, in the world, that they now want to make it a crime for Americans not to learn to speak the language of some foreigner.
Why are election ballots printed in so many languages??? If a person wants to live here and vote for those who are seeking election to public office, they should be required to learn english.
Some places have 3rd and 4th generations who still can't speak or read english. Why???
People used to come to America to melt into our nation. But the politically correct crowd now want those who come here to, fly the flag of the country they came from, speak the language of the country from which they came, and not to swear allegiance to America or learn english. The politically correct crowd are after votes and not really interested in America.
AND, Yes, there are 3rd and 4th generation Americans (actual Americans) that can't speak English either.. Better yet some cannot even write or read it.
Hate to blow your bubble, but all of us Americans (whether black, hispanc, jewish, asian, and yes white) have ancestors that came to America from another country. Duh, and thats why you and I are here today. The only true Americans, are the Native American Indians and guess what, they have their own language and its not English either. I think it's sad that even in this era, people are so prejudice and close minded. Goodness, you should be ashamed of yourself. Our country is a melting pot of different cultures that makes America what it is. This country is not just for one set of people with one set language, it is for all of us. This is what the USA stands for and this is why people want to be here. The smart person will take advantage of the different cultures and languages in our country and learn a 2nd language to make himself or herself more marketable in the career field. You best accept it, unless you move to mars, just relax and be open. You might enjoy the diversity.
Sun

Nicholasville, KY

#8 Aug 31, 2009
jackie wrote:
Learn the language, it would be a plus for you especially in retail, and a spanish speaking shopper may want to come to you to shop because of your effort. Rather then be upset with your co-workers, talk to them and let them know how it makes you feel. There is no law that says "English Only" at the work place. However, there is a federal law that protects an employee from certain types of discrimination, and employers have to be very careful how they communicate these types of issues. You are in California, and if I am not mistaken, pretty soon the Hispanics/Latinos will be the majority and not the minority. Good Luck to you.
burqa

Richmond, VA

#9 Sep 2, 2009
Where are the conservatives complaining about government intrusion into the marketplace?
Why not just get the government out of the way and let the market decide?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prospect Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Retards from Prospect (Apr '14) Jul '14 Holmes 3
Prospect Posters - Worst in History (Jun '14) Jun '14 Paul Masley 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Virginia (... (Oct '10) May '12 blah 136
fundraising idea (Mar '11) Mar '11 sherry 1
Election price (Nov '10) Nov '10 Got a question-pl... 1
house for rent (Jun '09) Jun '09 guest 1
News Clean energy plan pitched in assembly (Jul '08) Jul '08 Don Thieme 1
More from around the web

Prospect People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE