refusal of service dog and combat Veteran at Yoders Dutch Kitchen

Posted in the Promised Land Forum

shari duval

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#1 Sep 7, 2013
Two days ago John Davis and his service dog were asked to leave Yoders Dutch Kitchen because the owner (manager) said no dogs allowed. John tried calmly to tell him his dog was a service dog, and the owner replied well he does not look or act like a seeing eye dog. John is disabled, not all disabilities are visible. By law a disabled person does not need to disclose their disability. By law a service dog has full public access unless a sterile environment. John broke no laws, the owner of Yoders did, and can face a heavy fine by the ADA and Dept. of Justice. John went to the Police, told his story, and they visited Yoders. After speaking to Mr. Yoders by phone tonight, identifying myself as Shari Duval, Pres. of K9s For Warriors who provided John his highly trained dog at a cost of 10 thousand dollars,(no charge to John or other Veterans), Mr. Yoders still insisted he did nothing wrong. He claimed some of the customers were startled. Asked if the dog was behaving badly, he said "well he didn't act like a seeing eye dog". Did he bark, did he jump on anything or anyone? No but he just didn't look like a service dog, and John certainly did not look disabled. I asked Mr. Yoders if he would call John up, say there was a mis-understanding and invite John back. His comment was "well if he wants to make an issue out of it", I guess it is the law, but I have rights too. There you have it. Ignorance taking priority over the Laws. K9s For Warriors provides highly trained service dogs to disabled Veterans like John, at no charge. These dogs are medical equipment. Not all disabilities are visible. We need to educate not discriminate . Mr. Yoders owes John a sincere apology, welcome him back, along with his service dog. Thank you. www.k9sforwarriors.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Promised Land Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Greenwood, SC (Jan '12) Apr 9 Bobbie Moore 8
News Dispute among friends led to shooting of pregna... (Sep '06) Mar '15 Nojusticeforthewr... 974
Erskine Bible College REVIVAL Mar '15 good Job 1
Erskine Bible College STAND Mar '15 acts 2 38 1
News Racially segregated war-memorial plaques divide... Feb '15 MhRdiman1953 1
Homeless Man Feb '15 visitor 2
Prysmian Cable/dirty things R goin on (May '12) Feb '15 wakeup 18
More from around the web

Promised Land People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]