For Senate: Thompson. House: Holberg,...

For Senate: Thompson. House: Holberg, Garofalo

There are 16 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 15, 2010, titled For Senate: Thompson. House: Holberg, Garofalo. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Senate District 36; Minnesota House of Representatives Districts 36A and 36B.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Jeannie Ness

Northfield, MN

#1 Oct 17, 2010
You mean Pat Garafalo's willingness to call them as the Republican Party see them!!! I am not impressed. As my representative Pat has repeatedly ignored or worse yet berated the opinions of his constituency while he continues to cow tow to his party leaders. Attacking the teachers' union rather than working with them, writing off statewide health care for public educators - in spite of a OBM report that found it would save districts and the state millions of dollars, and attacking plans for mass transit. All smack of party politics.

Pat seems to be on Gov. Pawlenty's bandwagon to dismantle the public education system. In a privatized system only those with resources (be they financial or otherwise) will have the opportunity for an good education and God help us when that happens.

The longer he is in office the more arrogant he becomes - this is one incumbent who needs to go!!!
Tom

Rochester, MN

#2 Oct 17, 2010
Maybe one of the reasons Pat voted against statewide pool for teaches health care is that it was vehemently opposed by our local school districts. They said passage of the bill would be disastrous to our local schools.
Indypendent

Iowa City, IA

#3 Oct 18, 2010
It's clear that political brinksmanship is going on with the statewide pool bill. It seems the insurance companies are behind most of it. Why is it that OBM says we'll save $190M in ten years, rural areas of states like Michigan have shown dramatic success with pooling, and yet the local school administrators organization is against even this pooling bill exempting large districts which could choose to self-insure instead? National studies on the merits of creating a statewide savings pool for school districts have all reached the same conclusion -- Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Montana have all concluded that pooling saves substantial amounts of money just on administrative efficiencies with even more saving potential on areas like plan design. There are no studies that conclude the opposite.
detail gal

Maple Grove, MN

#4 Oct 18, 2010
I plan to support Dave Thompson and Pat Garofalo on November 2nd. Pat is right about statewide heath insurance pools. They've been studued off and on for years and make zero fiscal sense on a statwide level. The second big reason I see why they should never do this is because consolidating that benefit in one place empowers the teacher's union exponentially more since it's the salaries, health and retirement benefits that are the lion's share of the cost behind the union battle cry of "It's all about the children." The reality is that the kids get the leftovers after the union is done bludgeoning as much as it can from the school districts. Districe 200 saw union negotiated RAISES for teachers during this terrible economy while the parents of the children in the classrooms struggle to feed clothe and keep a roof over the heads of their children. I firmly believe that Pat and Dave will do a great job representing our district.

Since: Jun 08

Apple Valley, MN

#5 Oct 18, 2010
Jeannie Ness wrote:
You mean Pat Garafalo's willingness to call them as the Republican Party see them!!! I am not impressed. As my representative Pat has repeatedly ignored or worse yet berated the opinions of his constituency while he continues to cow tow to his party leaders. Attacking the teachers' union rather than working with them, writing off statewide health care for public educators - in spite of a OBM report that found it would save districts and the state millions of dollars, and attacking plans for mass transit. All smack of party politics.
Pat seems to be on Gov. Pawlenty's bandwagon to dismantle the public education system. In a privatized system only those with resources (be they financial or otherwise) will have the opportunity for an good education and God help us when that happens.
The longer he is in office the more arrogant he becomes - this is one incumbent who needs to go!!!
Let me guess you're a teacher. And you're mad that Pat wants you off the gravy train??

Guess what miss, the rest of us have to live within a budget and get paid what our work is worth. No reason you should get special rules and that's exactly what the teacher's union is advocating.

And if you're so worried about only those with resources having the opportunity for a good education, I assume you support a voucher system? If not please explain why not without resorting to "Because it wouldn't help the teacher's union" talking points.

Apple Valley, MN

#6 Oct 18, 2010
Just as I thought....I don't suppose you're the same Jeannie Ness employed by Oxbow Creek Elementary?

You might have mentioned you're just advocating for your own selfish interests rather than the public good.

The longer the teacher's union stays in power, the more arrogant they (and their members) become....this is one organization that needs to go!
Laura

Clear Lake, MN

#7 Oct 22, 2010
It troubles me that the Pioneer Press would endorse a candidate like Dave Thompson who looks to me like someone who would be very polarizing. According to his website, his political views are shaped by talk radio and Fox news: "And one other observation deserves mention. The voters clearly understand that the irresponsible government spending and our economic problems are causally related. Thanks to the free flow of information on the Internet, talk radio and the Fox News Channel....."

Not only does he subscribe to these extreme views, but is a talk radio show host who continues this goat rodeo of polarizing politics. Again from his website: "For 7½ years, Dave hosted "The Dave Thompson Show," a radio talk show that aired on AM 1500 KSTP. Dave was also the primary "Deputy Mayor" of Garage Logic, sitting in dozens of times for Joe Soucheray..."

I think the Pioneer Press missed the ball on this endorsement. Sure, Dave would be a strong advocate of his views, but in this day and age of polarized politics, aren't we needing to move more to the center and work together? This current political climate of talk radio, name calling and polarized politics is not serving me, or my family well.

I support Steve Quist for his moderate views and potential to cross the political divide to work across the aisle and possibly get something done. I encourage you to do so, too. I think the editorial staff at the Pioneer Press dropped the ball on this one.
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#8 Oct 22, 2010
What troubles me is that when people talk about "working across the aisle", what they mean is everybody come to their side of the aisle because they have no intention of budging an inch.

Tell us, Laura, what do you want and what are you willing to give up to get it?
Mike

Farmington, MN

#9 Oct 22, 2010
I agree with Laura. Dave Thompson is much farther to the extreme right than most people realize. His comments on his right-wing talk show on KSTP over a 7-year period show him to be of the same ilk as Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. I'll never forget the comment he used to have on his website: He said he called his dog a Democrat becuase she slept under his roof, ate his food and had no desire to work. If that is not polarizing, I don't know what is. Steve Quist is an accountant who will work hard on budget problems. He's a moderate and a straight shooter. He has integrity.
Mike

Farmington, MN

#10 Oct 22, 2010
I would also add that the Pioneer Press said Steve Quist is a professional who would serve well. All their comments about him were positive. I can tell you Steve doesn't fit into a slot. He is very pro-veteran and pro-sportsman. He has great concerns about rising property taxes. He will be a great friend of the middle class in the legislature.

“Author”

Since: Oct 10

Lakeville, MN

#11 Oct 22, 2010
Kecker from Apple Valley: At least Jeannie Ness isn’t using some alias to post about a district she doesn’t live in. She is out in the open about who she is so you can do a Google search to try and find what you think is dirt on her. If she is a teacher, good for her. I know several teachers, including my mother who is a retired teacher, who teach because they love the work, not because of the union. The union is only trying to help her get a little better life for committing her life to teaching other people’s kids. And let’s face it, they do a lot more than teach nowadays. I will be open, I also support Steve Quist. I’m an independent, and as far as I am concerned, in Lakeville, there are three independents who I feel will be truly independent voices despite their endorsements: Tom Horner, Steve Quist and Colin Lee.
Gndydncr

Rochester, MN

#12 Oct 22, 2010
Matt D Esq wrote:
Kecker from Apple Valley: At least Jeannie Ness isn’t using some alias to post about a district she doesn’t live in. She is out in the open about who she is ...
How do you feel about the opennes of a poster with the alias of Matt D Esq?

“Author”

Lakeville, MN

#13 Oct 25, 2010
Gndydncr: It was an observation, I'm not attacking anybody like Kecker was. It is easy to attack when nobody knows who you are.

Apple Valley, MN

#14 Oct 25, 2010
Matt D Esq wrote:
Kecker from Apple Valley: At least Jeannie Ness isn’t using some alias to post about a district she doesn’t live in.
Alias?? You mean as in my first initial and last name??? Yeah I'm real sneaky here. Used to work for the CIA you know so I'm hip to the latest in stealth.

If complaining that I didn't rent a billboard to advertise my name, home address, phone number and mother's maiden name is the best you can do, then just don't even bother posting. It's pathetic.

“Author”

Lakeville, MN

#15 Oct 29, 2010
Ah, Kevin Ecker, I should have caught that. All I’m saying is she is putting her name out for what you call her “own selfish interests” and what she might consider a passion that we educate our children. You don’t really know. You are making assumption based on your Google search of where she works. Pat Garofalo’s wife is a teacher, does she also do everything for the union and her “own selfish interests” simply because she is a teacher or does simply being married to a Republican counter all that “bad stuff?” Really all you are doing is belittling Jeannie with your personal bias and good old fashioned Republican belittlement, you actually said “listen here miss.” State your opposition openly and your concerns openly about the issue, don’t stoop to childlike arguing in support of your own selfish agenda.

Apple Valley, MN

#16 Nov 1, 2010
Matt D Esq wrote:
Ah, Kevin Ecker, I should have caught that. All I’m saying is she is putting her name out for what you call her “own selfish interests” and what she might consider a passion that we educate our children. You don’t really know. You are making assumption based on your Google search of where she works. Pat Garofalo’s wife is a teacher, does she also do everything for the union and her “own selfish interests” simply because she is a teacher or does simply being married to a Republican counter all that “bad stuff?” Really all you are doing is belittling Jeannie with your personal bias and good old fashioned Republican belittlement, you actually said “listen here miss.” State your opposition openly and your concerns openly about the issue, don’t stoop to childlike arguing in support of your own selfish agenda.
Unlike Jeannie, I'm not arguing for my own selfish agenda at the public's expense though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prior Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prison sentence for notable defense attorney Sa... (May '11) Aug 19 Post them 19
News Biz briefs: Pollo Campero opening first Minneso... (Dec '10) Aug 19 Rick 5
News Minnesota Man Drowns While Trying To Save Famil... Aug 13 Luda 1
Houses Required to rent as Ryder Cup 2016 Accom... (Jul '13) Aug 10 Blissma 24
News Carver County judge narrows list of potential P... Jul 30 CherylConaty 1
Add A Word...Drop A Word Jul 27 Chanta53 3
News South-metro church coalition brings depression ... (Feb '10) Feb '15 Andy Alt 3

Prior Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prior Lake Mortgages