Lake Shawnee Haunted Amusement Park

Posted in the Princeton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Parkersburg, WV

#1 May 3, 2011
Does anyone know about this, or have you ever been? Just curious as to what it is all about, saw a sign on the back of a truck one day, what is the cost & when can you go.
Summer

Roanoke, VA

#2 May 3, 2011
Pretty sure its been closed down for years (like 10-15 years), however; I do still see signs on occasion advertising for it.
Curious

Parkersburg, WV

#3 May 3, 2011
Yes i heard they were open on the week of Halloween, and that they still offer private tours and overnights but i have no idea of how much it would be and how to get in touch with someone.
a joke

United States

#4 May 3, 2011
I took my son a couple years ago on Halloween for the ghost tour. It was a joke. I think it was like 5 dollars per car and they tell you some scary stories that supposedly happened there. Then they let you go explore the grounds.
Curious

Parkersburg, WV

#5 May 3, 2011
I have heard different opinions on it and i would just like to go for myself, i don't believe in ghosts but i know people that have went & they believe in them now. I would just like to experience it for myself!

“Eskimoyorkian”

Since: Dec 10

Marion, VA

#6 May 3, 2011
Heard about it. I also read another post forever ago where the property owner charged an arm and a leg for people to go there and look around. I don't know if it's true or not. I'd love to go myself since I like the paranormal stuff. It was actually on Scariest Places On Earth a while back. Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/results...

If that doesn't work, just go to youtube and type in Lake Shawnee and a bunch will come up.
Curious

Parkersburg, WV

#7 May 3, 2011
Yes i heard it was like $100 to go or something if that's the case forget it.
unreal

Oakvale, WV

#8 May 3, 2011
It is absolutely unbelievable that they are still scamming people with this. I watched all the you tube videos and I am convinced that the two legged creature will believe anything. I have lived here in Lake shawnee all of my life. 54 years. This is such a play on the death of an innocent girl that happened nearly 50 years ago. The rides that are shown on the videos have only been there since 1984. The Whites opened the park back up after much rennovation of the old delapidated exisiting park. All the old cabins and the original arch bridge were torn down and the new rides were put up along with paddle boats. It only lasted a couple of years and shut down again untill they started the catfish tournaments. If people think this place is scary now they should have seen it 40 years ago when everything was grown up and the old hermit Arlee Worrel lived in one of the cabins. I have spent many nights there fishing when I was only 8 or 9 years old, when PT Snidow still owned it, and the only spook you might see or hear was the drunks parked in the brush or some teenagers parking.There have been several archeological digs on the place and at others over the years. I have a nice collection of arrowheads and spearheads from the adjacent property found in the 70's when James Blevins would till his cornfield. The area is polluted with Indian artifacts and history but the scam they are running on an unsuspecting public is rediculous. I guess if people will believe anything then more power to them to make moneyt off of it.
Curious

Parkersburg, WV

#9 May 3, 2011
unreal wrote:
It is absolutely unbelievable that they are still scamming people with this. I watched all the you tube videos and I am convinced that the two legged creature will believe anything. I have lived here in Lake shawnee all of my life. 54 years. This is such a play on the death of an innocent girl that happened nearly 50 years ago. The rides that are shown on the videos have only been there since 1984. The Whites opened the park back up after much rennovation of the old delapidated exisiting park. All the old cabins and the original arch bridge were torn down and the new rides were put up along with paddle boats. It only lasted a couple of years and shut down again untill they started the catfish tournaments. If people think this place is scary now they should have seen it 40 years ago when everything was grown up and the old hermit Arlee Worrel lived in one of the cabins. I have spent many nights there fishing when I was only 8 or 9 years old, when PT Snidow still owned it, and the only spook you might see or hear was the drunks parked in the brush or some teenagers parking.There have been several archeological digs on the place and at others over the years. I have a nice collection of arrowheads and spearheads from the adjacent property found in the 70's when James Blevins would till his cornfield. The area is polluted with Indian artifacts and history but the scam they are running on an unsuspecting public is rediculous. I guess if people will believe anything then more power to them to make moneyt off of it.
Is there any links to the death of the girl or the boy drowning that is online, i have searched everywhere and all i find is links to the hauntings where it is discussed.
charlotte

Beckley, WV

#10 May 4, 2011
i have lived in lake bottom my whole life an it is not haunted the whites are just trying to make money his wife left him an took everything so now hes broke an i guess couldnt think of any other way to cash in this is a joke as unreal said the ferris wheel an stuff wasnt even put up until the 80s u think ppl would research the history better how he ever got on t.v is beyond me

Level 1

Since: May 10

United States

#11 May 4, 2011
AS a teenager I spent many many days at the swimming pool. At that time it was the place to go. Even before my teen years my family would always go there on the 4th of July because they always had a big to do then and Rex and Elenore Parker would have a big dance that night with fireworks after the dance. As I grew older we used to party there every weekend all night and even swim late at night and old Peg knew we were there but as long as we didn't tear anything up he left us alone. I don't know anything about the girl but I was there when the little boy drowned and remember it well the lifeguard was to busy talking to all the young girls to watch what was going on in the pool. All that being said never at any time did I or any of my friends see or hear anything spooky I think sometimes people see or hear what they want to. As I said we spent many many nights there.
For those of us that can remember Lake Shawnee in those days they are a lot of great memories and in my opinion only one bad one and that was the little boy drowning.
know

Parkersburg, WV

#12 May 4, 2011
What was the little boy's name?
yoo

Dallas, TX

#13 May 4, 2011
it's DEF NOT $100! shit me and my friends went for free in highschool lol in like 2006 or 2007.. just hopped the fence. and yeah, its a joke, my friends just kept scaring each other.
well

United States

#14 Sep 20, 2013
Whereis this place ??
curious

Charleston, WV

#15 Sep 20, 2013
Heard its off the Athens exit. I'm planning to go down this weekend and check it out. I was actually a student there at the college in the late 80s And never heard a thing about it. When did the boy drown? I know if there was haunted ground. We would have went there. So the rides were put up in the 80s? That makes sense. I don't recall this place at all. I know we would have explored. I always heard of witch craft and devil worship in the area. Never much on hauntings. This is interesting tho. I'm doing some research now. Please help.
what

Oakvale, WV

#16 Sep 20, 2013
Do they have ghost tours?
well

United States

#17 Sep 20, 2013
The rides was put up in the 1920 s from what i understand . The history on this place is amazing . 3000 native americans was found on the place after the rides was put up . Since then 6 other lives has been taken . Spread out through out the years . Closed for good in 1988 . N never reopened . Amazing . Im going to go n vist this place soon .
fantasy land

United States

#18 Sep 20, 2013
well wrote:
The rides was put up in the 1920 s from what i understand . The history on this place is amazing . 3000 native americans was found on the place after the rides was put up . Since then 6 other lives has been taken . Spread out through out the years . Closed for good in 1988 . N never reopened . Amazing . Im going to go n vist this place soon .
Haha so not true! Somebodies trying to drum up business.......
curious

Charleston, WV

#19 Sep 20, 2013
I was gonna say.. I lived down there. I woulda heard something... We used ouija board and traveled to different sites. I would have researched the burial ground.. I heard nothing.
George Bush

Lewisburg, WV

#20 Sep 20, 2013
I'm pretty sure it was never a amusement park. I think they moved the rides there from somewhere else and were never actually in use at the site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thiefs 20 min Scotty 2
Virgins 48 min wonder 2
Bald mailman 3 hr Wondering 2
Where's Weepy? (May '12) 13 hr The Weepy Intervi... 132
Moving back 14 hr Provocateur 8
Why didn't PCH want help with their computer cr... 17 hr Joke 7
Michaelin hall 17 hr Joey stud 3

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance