Historic Pearis-Johnston House On Mai...

Historic Pearis-Johnston House On Main St.

Posted in the Princeton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eric Underwood

Suffolk, VA

#1 Feb 22, 2013
I think its a disgrace that this house is in jepardy of being torn down, because the owner didnt step up and keep this house maintained over the years that she owned the property and im sure that this owner Betty Cutlip could afford to kept that house maintained and fixed up over the years instead of letting it deteriate over the years shame on her. Another thing mr buzzo is in favor of having this house torn down also but i wont say much about this joker because i have issues with this bastard that im gonna adress to him later on. Im all for the Mercer Co. Historical Society of wanting to save this house and preserve it and turn it to a musem for future generations of wanting to the history about the house and history of Mercer Co. They're needs to be a petetion that needs to go around for people to sign to save this historical house because i will definatly sign it to help save it from being torn down like other historical houses and buildings.
yes

United States

#2 Feb 22, 2013
It would be wonderful if something could be done. It would be a shame to lose such a wonderful piece of Mercer County history. I don't know how anyone could let such a beautiful house deteriorate like that.
geez

Princeton, WV

#3 Feb 22, 2013
tear all these old delapitaed buildings and houses down they are eyesores no body cares about these old places bury them and put something new there
yes

United States

#4 Feb 22, 2013
If nobody cared we wouldn't have a historical association
geez

Princeton, WV

#5 Feb 22, 2013
dont need historical association waste of money
agree

Bluefield, WV

#6 Feb 22, 2013
geez wrote:
i agree. the historical association is nothing but a bunch of busy bodies who want to tell property owners what they can or can't do with their own property. if the HA want a property preserved, let them buy it and pay for fixing it and the up keep. if the owner does not want to sell, then butt out you bunch of old earth muffins.
joker

Washington, DC

#7 Feb 22, 2013
It can be an expensive museum that nobody goes to like the railroad museum. Way to waste tax dollars.
slick

Goshen, VA

#8 Feb 22, 2013
tear it down and pit something useful, like a carwash or storage units
kinda

Rupert, WV

#9 Feb 22, 2013
I lived in Europe for several years and it was nothing to eat in a restaurant or shop in a store or even live in a building that was 100 or 200 years old. The diffidence between there and here is we have a disposable, throw-away mentality. Personally, I would like to see our older buildings preserved, but not the way we do it. We let these buildings get to point of falling down and then try to save them at the last hour. Or worse, we let them fall down or tear them down and then a few years later, we waste tax money on building some replica, like the railroad museum which is neither real nor profitable. If the building is "saved" at the last hour, it ends up being misused or under utilized. Case in point, is the old brick house that stood on the hill where the post office is now located. It was saved, but then it was not maintained. It was used as apartments and then government offices and then torn down. I have been in both of these houses and I thought the brick house was much nicer than Pearis-Johnson.(As a side note, the person quoted in the paper said no water damage had occurred in the house, but when I went into it several years, all the wallpaper on the walls looked water damaged to me.) We need to take a different attitude about maintaining our resources instead of treating them as disposable. One other observation I made is that the owner now says she wants $500,000 for the property. That seems awfully step to me. If it was out at the 460/77 intersection maybe she could get that, but why would anyone pay that prices for a lot on Main St.? And one last thought, if she thinks that property is worth half a million dollars, why did she not maintain it? If you owned something worth half a million dollars, wouldn't you have taken care of it?
kinda

Rupert, WV

#10 Feb 22, 2013
I meant "steep" instead of "step" and "price" instead of "prices".
wvborn

Princeton, WV

#11 Feb 22, 2013
kinda wrote:
I lived in Europe for several years and it was nothing to eat in a restaurant or shop in a store or even live in a building that was 100 or 200 years old. The diffidence between there and here is we have a disposable, throw-away mentality. Personally, I would like to see our older buildings preserved, but not the way we do it. We let these buildings get to point of falling down and then try to save them at the last hour. Or worse, we let them fall down or tear them down and then a few years later, we waste tax money on building some replica, like the railroad museum which is neither real nor profitable. If the building is "saved" at the last hour, it ends up being misused or under utilized. Case in point, is the old brick house that stood on the hill where the post office is now located. It was saved, but then it was not maintained. It was used as apartments and then government offices and then torn down. I have been in both of these houses and I thought the brick house was much nicer than Pearis-Johnson.(As a side note, the person quoted in the paper said no water damage had occurred in the house, but when I went into it several years, all the wallpaper on the walls looked water damaged to me.) We need to take a different attitude about maintaining our resources instead of treating them as disposable. One other observation I made is that the owner now says she wants $500,000 for the property. That seems awfully step to me. If it was out at the 460/77 intersection maybe she could get that, but why would anyone pay that prices for a lot on Main St.? And one last thought, if she thinks that property is worth half a million dollars, why did she not maintain it? If you owned something worth half a million dollars, wouldn't you have taken care of it?
back then they actually had enough trees to build a long lasting house, todays houses wont last that long.
duh

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 22, 2013
geez wrote:
tear all these old delapitaed buildings and houses down they are eyesores no body cares about these old places bury them and put something new there
You are wrong. I care. And so do plenty of others. It's attitudes like yours that are destroying this Country. You have no pride in your roots.
History buff

Princeton, WV

#13 Feb 22, 2013
geez wrote:
Someone has tried to get this house since 1997, it's been the market since then. It's all about $ sign.
Think

Princeton, WV

#14 Feb 22, 2013
slick wrote:
tear it down and pit something useful, like a carwash or storage units
It's zoned residential R1 that's why, and no one needs something in that area like that, should have had that at the "Blueflash"
where it's zoned right.
hello

Silver Spring, MD

#15 Feb 22, 2013
I actually lived in that house as a child. I have lots of pictures of what it used to look like back then. It was very nice. Also very big inside. I would hate to see them tear this house down. Lots of memories there.
Sherry

Princeton, WV

#16 Feb 23, 2013
hello wrote:
I actually lived in that house as a child. I have lots of pictures of what it used to look like back then. It was very nice. Also very big inside. I would hate to see them tear this house down. Lots of memories there.
The group might need pictures so they can restore house back to original to look good, you might want to contact them, their in phone book.
so what

Bluefield, WV

#17 Feb 24, 2013
hello wrote:
then go buy the house with YOUR money and restore it. why should someone else have to pay so you can preserve your memories?
Sherry

Princeton, WV

#18 Feb 24, 2013
so what wrote:
<quoted text>then go buy the house with YOUR money and restore it. why should someone else have to pay so you can preserve your memories?
One thing about this subject you know nothing about, is HISTORY!!! they are trying to buy it they cannot get owner to give a price.(And it's been up for sale a LONG time) They are trying to preserve Mercer Counties memories, not theirs. You must not know anything about our counties history.
so what

Fincastle, VA

#19 Feb 24, 2013
Sherry wrote:
<quoted text>
One thing about this subject you know nothing about, is HISTORY!!! they are trying to buy it they cannot get owner to give a price.(And it's been up for sale a LONG time) They are trying to preserve Mercer Counties memories, not theirs. You must not know anything about our counties history.
and you don't understand our country's history concerning priviate property ownership and rights
hello

Waxhaw, NC

#20 Feb 24, 2013
so what wrote:
<quoted text>then go buy the house with YOUR money and restore it. why should someone else have to pay so you can preserve your memories?
your a moron..i said I would hate to see them tear it down. I'm nit some idiot who is ranting about tearing it down..get a life..lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anal lick 23 min corbin 5
Should the military bring back the draft. 1 hr Don 9
***"prayer line topic"*** (Nov '11) 1 hr purplelady1040 62,466
Scylar Jones 3 hr Dakota Trump 2
Lets Talk About The Movie Theater On Mercer Str... 6 hr Fed up with knuck... 9
Elks Lodge in Green Valley 13 hr Redneck2015 38
band called transit times (Jul '10) 15 hr David Ruble 184

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance