Athens teacher gets arrested for battery
Tired Parent

Beckley, WV

#41 Oct 1, 2010
iPhone wrote:
Is this the case where he was given home confinement? Which would seem to indictatea conviction for the offense. Then why is he allowed to continue in his position as a teacher? And if so, why at least wasn't he moved to another school? I don't think this is right, granted I don't know the facts but if certainly appears he was convicted of something. Idon't get it Dr Akers........
Because honey, Money speaks louder than words as always. Not enough people raise hell when their kids are crapped on at school. There are ways of dealing with it but I can assure you that its not included in the Parent handbook that is passed out at the first of the year. Nope you will only read what the expectation is for you and your child, including what you are supposed to do with your child in the evenings so that the teacher doesn't have to work as hard the next day. However you won't read about resolving problems with teachers and children, or the procedure you must go through to get satisfaction, nor will you read about your options if your child and his/her teacher just can't get along, or if you just don't like the teachers methods. Best thing for Parents to do is to attend some board meetings and ask what the grieviance prcedure is, find out if there are forms to fill out, find out about parent,teacher,student mediation, see if you can get an answer to your childs problems. However you probably need to remember that Teachers carry a lot of clout and you can probably expect a visit from a CPS worker because they will make false allegations when they are crossed and cause you a bunch of grief. Good luck to you.
mad mothers

New Hope, VA

#42 Oct 2, 2010
good grief Charlie Brown wrote:
We all need to remember that "battery" does not always mean that the person hit someone. Battery can include just touching them. I heard he placed his hands on the middle school student's shoulders, AFTER the kid hit him in the face with a ball that he had just kicked (accidentally, I'm sure).
ya know what I don't care what the definition of battery is no teacher needs to be touching the students in that manner to begin with and further more my son went there and I had many dealings with him and he came across to me as a cocky prick in my opinion I also went to the Principal over him and nothing was done he wants those kids just to set and not talk during the lunch period that is there free time and should be able to talk to there friends at lunch so maybe they are not trying to talk in class
Just me

United States

#43 Oct 2, 2010
I totally see your point, but there are two sides to everything. I do not know this teacher or situation and I would never condone putting hands on a student. I just think that some students do not get along with their teachers and there needs to be a way to resolve it. I think a lot of vetern teachers are very stuck in their ways and I hear daily about "kids these days"! But as society changes so should education and the way we teach our students. That is where the problem lies. The generation gap is huge!!!!! Some teachers need to get on board!!
t
Tired Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Because honey, Money speaks louder than words as always. Not enough people raise hell when their kids are crapped on at school. There are ways of dealing with it but I can assure you that its not included in the Parent handbook that is passed out at the first of the year. Nope you will only read what the expectation is for you and your child, including what you are supposed to do with your child in the evenings so that the teacher doesn't have to work as hard the next day. However you won't read about resolving problems with teachers and children, or the procedure you must go through to get satisfaction, nor will you read about your options if your child and his/her teacher just can't get along, or if you just don't like the teachers methods. Best thing for Parents to do is to attend some board meetings and ask what the grieviance prcedure is, find out if there are forms to fill out, find out about parent,teacher,student mediation, see if you can get an answer to your childs problems. However you probably need to remember that Teachers carry a lot of clout and you can probably expect a visit from a CPS worker because they will make false allegations when they are crossed and cause you a bunch of grief. Good luck to you.
Is it true

United States

#44 Oct 2, 2010
I don't know a lot about this case but* Did this student hit the teacher??? If so I would like to know what he was supposed to do? If my child hit a teacher I would be livid & he would be grounded for life.
Lindsey

Beckley, WV

#45 Oct 2, 2010
Ya'll need to quit saying Ofsa needs to be fired. Ofsa is the BEST and he is a great teacher! I love him to death!
ardvark

Bluefield, WV

#46 Oct 2, 2010
Tired Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
It may possibly be that teachers have the attitude that they are better parents and can do a better job, it may possibly be that parents have been persecuted by teachers because they are not raising the child the way the teacher thinks is appropriate, it may possibly be that a teacher has falsely reported a parent for child abuse and a parent is afraid to parent, theres really a lot of history behind this whole situation and if you were to look into that you would see that when school interfered with a child's home life things just sort of started going down hill from that point. Peer pressure, drugs, sex, alcohol, sneaking around, innappropriate behavior by teachers and other students are not generally things a child sees or learns at home with the exception of a small number of cases. Personally I think Teachers should stick to what they know and mind their own damn business as far as someone else's parenting is concerned. So what if a child isn't getting raised the way you think they should be, its not what your paid for, mind your own business and take care of your own children. Leave the rest to parents, and God, quit passing judgement on parents and making them the Bad Guys all the time, If you cannot be part of the solution, please don't be part of the Problem. Parents have enough to worry about.
morals, values, respect, kindness, manners, politeness. parents need to be more viglant about teaching these things to their kids. teachers try to teach the material they are assigned to teach. rude children make it nearly impossible. parents make it hard for teachers because their children get away with everything at home. those kids take it to the classroom and make it impossible for other children to learn. Parents need to parent so that teachers can teach!!!!!!!
bugs

Beckley, WV

#47 Oct 2, 2010
Lindsey wrote:
Ya'll need to quit saying Ofsa needs to be fired. Ofsa is the BEST and he is a great teacher! I love him to death!
lol you are so funny, if you were a student you may think different.
sad but true

United States

#48 Oct 2, 2010
ardvark wrote:
<quoted text>
morals, values, respect, kindness, manners, politeness. parents need to be more viglant about teaching these things to their kids. teachers try to teach the material they are assigned to teach. rude children make it nearly impossible. parents make it hard for teachers because their children get away with everything at home. those kids take it to the classroom and make it impossible for other children to learn. Parents need to parent so that teachers can teach!!!!!!!
AMEN! Couldn't have said it better! You are right on!

Back when I was in elementary school (70s and 80s) if a kid got in trouble at school, the parents took the word of the teacher and the kids got in "double trouble" at home, and they were truly remorseful.

Nowadays, a kid gets in trouble at school and the parent is there the next morning @ 7 a.m. waiting for the doors to be unlocked so they can "report the teacher" to the Principal, as if THEY are the ones in the wrong...

...and we wonder why America is going all to HELL? Not hard to figure out what's wrong...
well

Princeton, WV

#49 Oct 4, 2010
So, is Mr. Ofsa back in the classroom today or is he on leave?
1 post removed
yep

Princeton, WV

#51 Oct 4, 2010
well wrote:
So, is Mr. Ofsa back in the classroom today or is he on leave?
I do believe he was in the classroom today!
momma mia

Cowpens, SC

#52 Oct 4, 2010
I had Mr. Ofsa as a teacher at Athens in the 80's. I have 3 children in school there now. I always loved his class as a child and my children love it now. 2 of my children are very creative and he encourages them. He plays music for them in the class while they work. To me that is truely trying to bridge the gap. He is incorporating all their senses and enhancing the learning process. As a parent I see the importance of encouraging a child to be creative and expressive. My youngest child says he wants to be an art teacher like Mr. Ofsa. That says alot about his character to me.
truth

Bluefield, WV

#53 Oct 6, 2010
lord have mercy wrote:
<quoted text>
He is, trust me, I was there, I know, hes very hostile and should be taken out of that job immediately before someone truly gets VERY hurt cause of it
omg people you act like he is the only teacher that loses his composure. No absolutely not I had Mr.Ofsa in elementary school and in jr. high and yes he lost his composure when I was there and no one got hurt. He pulled a many of students out of the room for disbehaving but he did not hurt them. If the story is true how bad did it hurt the student. Apparently it didnt even leave a mark. I bet the only thing that was hurt was the students pride and feelings. Why would you sue a teacher for removing a student that just hit you. I had several teachers throw things even had one that slammed her hand down on a podium and a pen went into it. These other teachers remove students nothing is ever said and no other teachers names are being brought up that threw things in classrooms or acted out. Why point your finger at just him because some parent that thinks little johnny doesnt do no wrong suied him.
truth

Bluefield, WV

#54 Oct 6, 2010
Tired Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
It may possibly be that teachers have the attitude that they are better parents and can do a better job, it may possibly be that parents have been persecuted by teachers because they are not raising the child the way the teacher thinks is appropriate, it may possibly be that a teacher has falsely reported a parent for child abuse and a parent is afraid to parent, theres really a lot of history behind this whole situation and if you were to look into that you would see that when school interfered with a child's home life things just sort of started going down hill from that point. Peer pressure, drugs, sex, alcohol, sneaking around, innappropriate behavior by teachers and other students are not generally things a child sees or learns at home with the exception of a small number of cases. Personally I think Teachers should stick to what they know and mind their own damn business as far as someone else's parenting is concerned. So what if a child isn't getting raised the way you think they should be, its not what your paid for, mind your own business and take care of your own children. Leave the rest to parents, and God, quit passing judgement on parents and making them the Bad Guys all the time, If you cannot be part of the solution, please don't be part of the Problem. Parents have enough to worry about.
So you think that if little susie who is lets see 6 yrs old comes to school with a black eye and hand marks around her arm sits in a classroom and because you think the teacher should mind their own business shouldnt say anything and poor little susie goes home from school and doesnt come back because her mother or father was doped up and killed her that night would be better. No I think if a teacher has suspisions that something is going on in a childs home like that they should report it.
Proud WV

Princeton, WV

#55 Oct 6, 2010
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that if little susie who is lets see 6 yrs old comes to school with a black eye and hand marks around her arm sits in a classroom and because you think the teacher should mind their own business shouldnt say anything and poor little susie goes home from school and doesnt come back because her mother or father was doped up and killed her that night would be better. No I think if a teacher has suspisions that something is going on in a childs home like that they should report it.
Not only SHOULD they report it...they are REQUIRED by LAW to report it. Teachers are MADADATED reports and are required by law to report suspected abuse!
composure

Princeton, WV

#56 Oct 6, 2010
He didn't just lose his composure, he lost his temper and 'manhandled' a middle school kid. As someone who works with kids everyday, I know they can drive you to the brink of insanity. As someone who has kids - yes, they can also drive you nuts. But if you lose your crap with your kid it's called child abuse. If this happens and you are a teacher or other 'custodial' person, you should find another field of work. A teacher CANNOT manhandle his/her students. It's as simple as that. This is NOT the first time this has happened with Mr. Ofsa. Not the second time, nor the third time. Athens has been covering this up for a long time now, but some parent finally decided to press charges. Accountability crosses all boundaries. If you want parents to be accountable for their kids, fine. If you want kids to be accountable for their actions, fine. Teachers and other professionals should also be accountable. If I am not, then I should be fired.
Kendra

Parkersburg, WV

#57 Oct 6, 2010
I had him in middle school, and he did have a bit of a temper..but I couldn't see him really hurting anyone. I'm sure someone's mommy and daddy saw a way to get money and went for it.

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City

#58 Oct 6, 2010
I am 40. I had teachers in school that got pissed off threw erasers, chalk, chairs etc. The chalk and erasers were thrown at us..LOL..and we LIVED..I also went to school in a time where you could get your ass busted by the teachers, and or principal, and certainly if it went that far you were going to get it worse when you got home, and we LIVED..We also grew up with morals and respect for others because it was instilled in us as children.
I raised 2 children, both are in college now and have turned out to be productive human beings. They were raised "old school" because those were the experiences I drew from. Although coporal punishment is no longer allowed in school, if I got a call from the school because either one had pulled some type of shenanigan, believe they got their ass warmed up when they got home and if I had to go to the school they were likely to get their ears boxed in the office. I love my children with all of my beating heart and there is nothing that I wouldn't do for them including sacrifice my life for theirs if it came to that. And since I loved them I made them mind and taught them values.
Teachers do not have an easy job. Many parents drop their children off in kindergarten and pick them up when and if they graduate. For many children the only positive role models they see are their teachers. And that is sad. But it is what it is. We expect these teachers to educate our children on very little pay and in some cases put up with children who lack discipline and respect, but we get mad when the teacher(s) finally have had enough.
yes

Princeton, WV

#59 Oct 7, 2010
composure wrote:
He didn't just lose his composure, he lost his temper and 'manhandled' a middle school kid. As someone who works with kids everyday, I know they can drive you to the brink of insanity. As someone who has kids - yes, they can also drive you nuts. But if you lose your crap with your kid it's called child abuse. If this happens and you are a teacher or other 'custodial' person, you should find another field of work. A teacher CANNOT manhandle his/her students. It's as simple as that. This is NOT the first time this has happened with Mr. Ofsa. Not the second time, nor the third time. Athens has been covering this up for a long time now, but some parent finally decided to press charges. Accountability crosses all boundaries. If you want parents to be accountable for their kids, fine. If you want kids to be accountable for their actions, fine. Teachers and other professionals should also be accountable. If I am not, then I should be fired.
Exactly..........I agree 100%
AMEN

Lerona, WV

#60 Oct 8, 2010
sowbug wrote:
I am 40. I had teachers in school that got pissed off threw erasers, chalk, chairs etc. The chalk and erasers were thrown at us..LOL..and we LIVED..I also went to school in a time where you could get your ass busted by the teachers, and or principal, and certainly if it went that far you were going to get it worse when you got home, and we LIVED..We also grew up with morals and respect for others because it was instilled in us as children.
I raised 2 children, both are in college now and have turned out to be productive human beings. They were raised "old school" because those were the experiences I drew from. Although coporal punishment is no longer allowed in school, if I got a call from the school because either one had pulled some type of shenanigan, believe they got their ass warmed up when they got home and if I had to go to the school they were likely to get their ears boxed in the office. I love my children with all of my beating heart and there is nothing that I wouldn't do for them including sacrifice my life for theirs if it came to that. And since I loved them I made them mind and taught them values.
Teachers do not have an easy job. Many parents drop their children off in kindergarten and pick them up when and if they graduate. For many children the only positive role models they see are their teachers. And that is sad. But it is what it is. We expect these teachers to educate our children on very little pay and in some cases put up with children who lack discipline and respect, but we get mad when the teacher(s) finally have had enough.
Your story sounds EXACTLY like me- only I am 39. I had the same experiences, and therefore, raised my 2 kids the same way, too. I know that I have raised 2 good, although NOT perfect, kids. So far, I have yet to be called to ANY school over 1 of my children misbehaving, but if I was, you can bet, I'd be lightin' up their butt right there in front of God and everyone else. Sometimes embarrassment is a GOOD thing.

Further, I am a PROUD elementary teacher who works VERY hard, and loves her job and STUDENTS very much.

Sadly enough, if I so much as assign a child to lunch detention, the next morning the parents are down at the school at 7:00 a.m. waiting for us to unlock the doors so they can report us to the Principal and demean us for our actions.

Are there times when I have had to deal with children who are very disrespectful and could apparently care less about meeting their educational responsibilities? Yes.

Have I been disrespected by kids? Yes.

Have I been disrespected by parents? Yes.

However, I have NEVER, EVER thrown objects in the classroom, and I RARELY raise my voice. Both of these actions are uncalled for and completely unprofessional.

I CERTAINLY have not put my hands on a kid, and never intend to.

Do I wish there was corporal punishment in schools? Yes and no. If society was like it was back in the 70s- yes, but not in today's litigious society. As a teacher, I'd probably find myself in court upon the first administration of the paddle.

Sad, but true. Anyway, AMEN to everything you said.
Tired Parent

Beckley, WV

#61 Oct 8, 2010
ardvark wrote:
<quoted text>
such is true so teachers need to quit criticizing Parents and calling DHHR on them because they got a spanking and it doesn't fit in with what the teacher thinks is proper Parenting. Mind your own business in other words. Your job is to teach children not Parent them, it would be different if the kids came to school all beat up or undernourished. My sister in law is a Band Teacher and she says that she knows her students better than their own Parents, I find this very difficult to believe and I believe she suffers from delusions of grandeur. If you cant control your class room don't teach, if you need help in your class room then ask for it, if you don't like kids or their parents go back to school and be a social worker since you want to be in other people's business so much. A college education does not mean you are smarter or better than someone without one. Get real. As for salaries and such, you shouldn't be paid to stand in the hallway planning social events with other personnel, and talking on your cell phone, do your job and earn your raise on merit, if the children you teach like you they will respond to you, if you start out by calling one of them a name or singling them out then you've given the whole class permission to do the same and you have lost control. I would love to go head to head with you on some issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Radio Talk Show Host Chuck Harder Is Back (Mar '15) 44 min Jim in Florida 29
Emily and Kevin 48 min I knoe 5
Department of Education Shutters ACICS Accredit... 2 hr Student 2
James Wellman 2 hr concerned grandma 4
Exchange of Blue Rhino Propane Tanks (HELP) (Apr '12) 5 hr DSA 46
Brittany smith Choose coke over her child 6 hr Monica 3
Puckett theater gets marquee ahead of new zoning 7 hr morons 3

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance