Athens teacher gets arrested for battery

Posted in the Princeton Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
athens parent

Beckley, WV

#1 Sep 28, 2010
So everyone is discussing things that other teachers have done that didn't directly effect the students... What about Robbie Ofsa who was arrested and is serving home confinement for battery against a student in may/june last school year? It was just on WVNS.
always

Beckley, WV

#2 Sep 28, 2010
I searched wvns and could not find anything on this. Why would they just now be telling this if it happened in June or may.
facts

Beckley, WV

#3 Sep 28, 2010
Yes this is true, just heard it to on wvns news. Robbie Ofsa was convicted last thursday and is suppose to be on home confinement. He should not at the school. Check it out.
link

Lubbock, TX

#4 Sep 29, 2010
difficult times

Lerona, WV

#5 Sep 29, 2010
Dealing with students must be soooo stressful.
know it all

Beckley, WV

#6 Sep 29, 2010
He needs to find another position away from students. He should be removed from being around children. Don't need this type of teacher. Parents need to start pulling their children out of the school system and perhaps the BOE will do something , like fire this type of teacher. Teachers need to realize that without children, they would not have a job or be needed.
beaver44

Beckley, WV

#7 Sep 29, 2010
If this would have been a parent who assaulted their child, social services would have removed the child from the home, and arrested them.
It is true

Bradshaw, WV

#8 Sep 29, 2010
I know Robbie Ofsa and I can't stand him. He did the same thing to my son when he went to Athens several years ago. I went to the Principal over it and they more or less told me that there was no way of getting rid of Mr. Ofsa because of the teachers union. That is just not right.. He is an arrogant piece of SH!!T.
really

Princeton, WV

#9 Sep 29, 2010
Is this not an automatic termination situation for the school board? If he was found 'not guilty' that would be one thing...but he was found guilty...isn't there a policy for this?
interesting

Princeton, WV

#10 Sep 29, 2010
So this story was on wvns and in the State Journal ( http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm... ) but not WVVA?
Of Course

United States

#11 Sep 29, 2010
interesting wrote:
So this story was on wvns and in the State Journal ( http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm... ) but not WVVA?
No not WVVA because it didn't happen in beckley
hey

Waterloo, Canada

#12 Sep 29, 2010
I have known robbie ofsa ever since I could remember he taught my sister and myself as well as many friends and family along with my niece and nephew he was always a great pearson and teacher he has worked at athens I know of 20+years and never had a problem maybe he had a bad day that day and acted before thinking and what happened to make him do this I do agree its not right what he did but u also need to look at what made him snap everyone need to just pray for him

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#13 Sep 29, 2010
We all need to remember that "battery" does not always mean that the person hit someone. Battery can include just touching them. I heard he placed his hands on the middle school student's shoulders, AFTER the kid hit him in the face with a ball that he had just kicked (accidentally, I'm sure).
athens parent

Beckley, WV

#14 Sep 29, 2010
this was not the first accusation against Robbie, just the first one where the parent took it to the law
beaver44

Beckley, WV

#15 Sep 29, 2010
demand the BOE fire him, this is good grounds for termination.
Parent

Maysel, WV

#16 Sep 29, 2010
good grief Charlie Brown wrote:
We all need to remember that "battery" does not always mean that the person hit someone. Battery can include just touching them. I heard he placed his hands on the middle school student's shoulders, AFTER the kid hit him in the face with a ball that he had just kicked (accidentally, I'm sure).
Your exactely right....I was told the same story by a child who was present and who also had to testify. The boy hit him first and he touched his shoulders to back him up.
Optomistic

Princeton, WV

#17 Sep 29, 2010
Hmmm...maybe if parents disciplined their children...then the teachers could teach without having to watch their backs for sue happy parents and accusatory children who would do anything to keep from having to actually learn.

Am I saying that all teachers and staff are perfect....NO...I am not. I am saying that there is a whole hell of a lot more that goes on in the school than most can even think of. Hell...when I was in school in the early 80's...there were students having sex in the teachers lounge. That is a fact! At that time if you got caught you got your ass busted and sent home. What has happened to our society...something for nothing...not my fault..Not my Johnny or Sally...entitlement attitude and behavior.
Might wanna know a bit more before your judge and jury on Ofsa. Is he an arrogant prick? Maybe.
But...if he is a good teacher...maybe an arrogant prick is what is needed to get into some of these kids heads!
Proud WV

Princeton, WV

#18 Sep 30, 2010
Wonder if this is an offense that he can be fired for? I would think there is a clause in a teachers contract prohibiting this sort of behavior and outlining the consequences. I know he has been a teacher at Athens for many years. And really, why hasn't this been reported in the Bluefield Daily Telegraph or on WVVA?
omg

Beckley, WV

#19 Sep 30, 2010
I had him for a teacher as well a long long time ago, I remember he threw chairs, he was terrifying, he needs to be taken out of that school and away from those kids
cardboard killer

Nashville, TN

#20 Sep 30, 2010
I feel sorry for the Ofsa family, especially Dr. Ofsa. He's a great family friend who doesn't deserve to have his name muddied. I've know Robbie personally but I haven't seen him for years because I was living out of state. I just can't picture him physically assaulting a child. Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Airport Authority member vows review of 'visito... (Apr '07) 2 hr Aunt Bea 3
Mercer County Zoning 2 hr ComConn 1
Is Glenna Cole strung out on drugs 2 hr Jerme 22
Teachers (Mar '14) 3 hr parents 22
boycott american women! (Jan '17) 3 hr Aunt Bea 46
Betty Gomez 3 hr Smh 4
News , Bluefield, WV (Mar '07) 4 hr Lovelace 21

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages