low income cell phone program

low income cell phone program

Posted in the Princeton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
totally against it

Rupert, WV

#1 Aug 17, 2010
WHY is the government using MY tax dollars to provide cell hone service "low income" people? I heard a commercial the other day that said people can stay in touch with their families now, because of this "wonderful" program.

I think u should only have 1 if YOU can afford to pay for it with what U EARN yourself, thru work, like most of us. What's next? Should we buy them all a Mercedes, too, just because SOME people have them, which is "not fair?" (BTW- I work full-time, but have NO Mercedes...)

Thanks to Democrats (mainly, Obama), this country is going down FAST! I'm sick of it!

What are your thoughts?
Chad B

Beckley, WV

#2 Aug 17, 2010
Wow. Just wow.
There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to provide free cell phones.
The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration.
Thanks to SafeLink, Lifeline support is now available for wireless phones. Traditionally, the Lifeline program was only available as a discount on a consumerís landline telephone bill.
SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.
Here's the website.
http://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPub...
Do some research before you complain about absolutely nothing.
Just Meeeee

Beckley, WV

#3 Aug 17, 2010
I'm not sure what the program is called. My sister has a cell phone that she does not pay for. Let me just clarify, this is not one of the new fancy $400 phones. It's VERY OLD. She gets a set number of minutes each month and if she doesn't use them all, they rollover. She doesn't get all the fancy ringtones or texts.
I don't think the program is bad. I don't want people who aren't working and who are using my tax dollars to sit on their lazy butts having one. But my sister works full time, busts her butt for everything she and my nieces have and still has a hard time making ends meet. And before you say she shouldn't have had kids if she couldn't afford them let me just clarify that when she had them, she could afford them. Things happened and money is too tight now to pay Frontier $50 (just guessing; I have no clue what Frontier actually charges) for a landline phone. I'd rather my tax dollars go for this (if that's the way the program she uses works) than for some bum to eat steak and shrimp every day of the damn week even though he's too lazy to get a job.
totally against it

Rupert, WV

#4 Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for the 411, Chad. I visited the site you provided. Information therein was in direct conflict with what MY cell provider, AT&T, provides on their site, which is http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-re...

AT&T contends that, "Lifeline is a government assistance program that offers qualified, low-income customers a discount on their monthly wireless phone bill in limited geographic areas." and tells individuals that their bill amount will depend upon "...the amount of federal and state support that's available in your area."

It's obvious there IS something to complain about.
u never know

Beckley, WV

#5 Aug 18, 2010
I am so sick of people getting on here complaining about low income people and what they can qualify for..and this is just another stupid topic about them to put them down..it is not like most of them chose to be low income..how would u feel if u lost your job tomm and looked around and couldnt find one for months and found you snotty self standing in the line at the dhhr? i bet u wouldnt be against this free cell phone now would u?? its not like they get 2000 minutes a month its only like 60 and some need it just incase something happens or a job tries to contact them for work..I am sure that most of them have paid taxes in their life and if they are down on their luck and need a little help then so be it..u are going to have to pay taxes regardless and it has always been that way so why are u complaining about the less fortunate getting a helping hand..if u knew how embarassing it was to go into there and ask for help then u wouldnt bash anybody...true there are some that make a career out of it but i have been in their shoes and lost my job and recieved food stamps for a while and was so mortified even walking in there...it is not something im sure that most are proud of but some desperately need some help..the economy sucks and its hard to find a job so this should be a time we all pull together and lend thy neighbor a helping hand and those less fortunate to help them get back on their feet..just because there are druggies out there that take advantage of the system not ALL of us do...another note how would u feel if u was on the road and broke down with your kids and had no phone to call anyone wouldnt u be grateful for a little helping hand?? u are so selfish to even get on here complaining about something so litte when there are kids missing,murders,rapes,people dying from cancer and so on and on and yet u want to complain because a person who is down on their luck gets a measly 60 min a month cell phone whooo hoo u all better not use all them minutes up at one time..i cant believe there are selfish people like u on here wasting time being a big cry baby but whatever makes u sleep better at night i pray u never lose your job and cant find one...
agree 100

Concord, NC

#6 Aug 18, 2010
u never know wrote:
I am so sick of people getting on here complaining about low income people and what they can qualify for..and this is just another stupid topic about them to put them down..it is not like most of them chose to be low income..how would u feel if u lost your job tomm and looked around and couldnt find one for months and found you snotty self standing in the line at the dhhr? i bet u wouldnt be against this free cell phone now would u?? its not like they get 2000 minutes a month its only like 60 and some need it just incase something happens or a job tries to contact them for work..I am sure that most of them have paid taxes in their life and if they are down on their luck and need a little help then so be it..u are going to have to pay taxes regardless and it has always been that way so why are u complaining about the less fortunate getting a helping hand..if u knew how embarassing it was to go into there and ask for help then u wouldnt bash anybody...true there are some that make a career out of it but i have been in their shoes and lost my job and recieved food stamps for a while and was so mortified even walking in there...it is not something im sure that most are proud of but some desperately need some help..the economy sucks and its hard to find a job so this should be a time we all pull together and lend thy neighbor a helping hand and those less fortunate to help them get back on their feet..just because there are druggies out there that take advantage of the system not ALL of us do...another note how would u feel if u was on the road and broke down with your kids and had no phone to call anyone wouldnt u be grateful for a little helping hand?? u are so selfish to even get on here complaining about something so litte when there are kids missing,murders,rapes,people dying from cancer and so on and on and yet u want to complain because a person who is down on their luck gets a measly 60 min a month cell phone whooo hoo u all better not use all them minutes up at one time..i cant believe there are selfish people like u on here wasting time being a big cry baby but whatever makes u sleep better at night i pray u never lose your job and cant find one...
What you said is soo true im a nurse and got laid off cause the census at work went down i have to kids and bills got behind in just a month and i needed help ive worked since i was 16 and im 29 now so your right its not always just for lazy people looking for a handout some people really need i didnt need the cell phone but i needed help with food and power bill i just wanted to say thank you for standing up for those of us who actually werent taking advantage of the system god bless you!!!!!!!!!!
no comment

Huntington, IN

#7 Aug 19, 2010
I'm not gonna say alot but this. I have known folks who have abused the welfare system....I have both paid taxes into-and recieved benifits from the welfare system. I don't have all the answers, but I do know my life. I am a college graduate, whom despite 3yrs, and 110 resumes, has just NOW found a full-time job...I hope other folks have faired-better than me....but thank you God for my job.....thank you!!!
totally against it

Rupert, WV

#8 Aug 19, 2010
I have NO problem helping people when they need "A HAND UP," such as when a hard-working individual loses their job, or if someone is physically disabled. These individuals ARE VERY DESERVING OF ASSISTANCE. However, I MOST CERTAINLY DO have a problem with supporting folks who have never worked, or have worked very little, but are physically and mentally capable, and just lack the desire to do so. And yes, I am against providing them with a cell phone- I AM AGAINST THAT, AND MAKE NO APOLOGIES FOR SUCH.

Welfare was started as a temporary program to help folks who were down on their luck, so they could FEED their families while seeking work, until they found it. Now, decades later, it has morphed into God knows what, but the last time I checked, cell phones were NOT necessary for survival.

BTW- McDonald's hires every day. I have worked there several times when I needed to feed my family and pay my bills, including a time when I was 2 months pregnant, up until 5 days before our daughter was born. When my husband and I were expecting our son, I worked at Hardees's up until 2 days before he was born. Why? Because I enjoyed the job, or because I was physically fit for standing on my feet for 6-8 hours @ a time? NO WAY- because we had BILLS TO PAY. It's as simple as that. Having been on both sides on the financial spectrum, I make NO apologies for my opinion.
justice

Oviedo, FL

#9 Sep 18, 2010
First of all ignorant morons!! This service has been around before Obama, 2nd of all you Floridians do not pay taxes for any resources and stop trying to knock people that are people just like you dumb prejudice children. Then, you want to go pray and ask God to help you or forgive you. God Bless you all and remember this, you Americans started all of this, If you stay out of our counties, maybe we will stop coming to yours. You all are as much as immigrants as we are. You want to be in other peoples business.....stay out of our countries and stop being ignorant. Then you call yourselves educated people...hah!! what a joke!!

Level 1

Since: Jun 08

logan,wv

#10 Sep 18, 2010
i happen to have one of these phones. NO, i am not on welfare, NO, i dont get any DHHR assisstance.I have busted my a$$ since i was 14 doing hard manual labor, either in construction, underground, and the military. I lost my knee during Dessert Storm, broke my back in construction, and survived a rib roll in working in the mines. i am now totally disabled, living with crippling pain every day for the rest of my life, and i'm only 44 yrs old.you only get 67 minutes added to the phone the first of evey month. this helps when i'm deciding whether to eat or pay bills every month from a small check i get. so please get some info on something before you go slamming it, this phone is the only way i keep in touch with my family and dr. appt's. jeeezzz
wondering

Rupert, WV

#11 Sep 18, 2010
I know my aunt has one of these phones and she gets around 71 minutes on her phone because she is disabled and cannot work due to a major stroke. She has NO income and has 7-8 docs appointments a month if not more. This is the only way she has to contact 911 in cause of an emergency or to contact her doctor. So please don't bash everyone who has one of these phones; There is people out there who need them and there is people out there that abuse the system and get them so they don't have to pay for one themselves.
LOL

Bluefield, WV

#12 Sep 18, 2010
totally against it wrote:
I have NO problem helping people when they need "A HAND UP," such as when a hard-working individual loses their job, or if someone is physically disabled. These individuals ARE VERY DESERVING OF ASSISTANCE. However, I MOST CERTAINLY DO have a problem with supporting folks who have never worked, or have worked very little, but are physically and mentally capable, and just lack the desire to do so. And yes, I am against providing them with a cell phone- I AM AGAINST THAT, AND MAKE NO APOLOGIES FOR SUCH.
Welfare was started as a temporary program to help folks who were down on their luck, so they could FEED their families while seeking work, until they found it. Now, decades later, it has morphed into God knows what, but the last time I checked, cell phones were NOT necessary for survival.
BTW- McDonald's hires every day. I have worked there several times when I needed to feed my family and pay my bills, including a time when I was 2 months pregnant, up until 5 days before our daughter was born. When my husband and I were expecting our son, I worked at Hardees's up until 2 days before he was born. Why? Because I enjoyed the job, or because I was physically fit for standing on my feet for 6-8 hours @ a time? NO WAY- because we had BILLS TO PAY. It's as simple as that. Having been on both sides on the financial spectrum, I make NO apologies for my opinion.
Well said and GOD says those who are able to work SHOULD work.
well

United States

#13 Sep 19, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>Well said and GOD says those who are able to work SHOULD work.
Actually it says if a man DON'T work then he DON'T eat.
I think the welfare should be there for people in need, NOT for people that don't want to work. I know of people that have made living off welfare a career. I also think that the cell phones should only go out to the elderly, or those with medical conditions. I only have what I have because my husband and I work very hard for what we have. NOTHING ever handed to us. The welfare system is the reason we are becoming a lazy generation.
chuckles

Lerona, WV

#14 Sep 21, 2010
justice wrote:
First of all ignorant morons!! This service has been around before Obama, 2nd of all you Floridians do not pay taxes for any resources and stop trying to knock people that are people just like you dumb prejudice children. Then, you want to go pray and ask God to help you or forgive you. God Bless you all and remember this, you Americans started all of this, If you stay out of our counties, maybe we will stop coming to yours. You all are as much as immigrants as we are. You want to be in other peoples business.....stay out of our countries and stop being ignorant. Then you call yourselves educated people...hah!! what a joke!!
UUUHHHHHH...did I miss something here, or am I the only 1 scratching my head about the Florida and immigrants comments? Brother, I think you must be smokin' some of that Cuban crack down there! This is a WV thread and that's where we're all at...LOL
Heather

Clarksburg, WV

#15 Oct 17, 2010
totally against it wrote:
WHY is the government using MY tax dollars to provide cell hone service "low income" people? I heard a commercial the other day that said people can stay in touch with their families now, because of this "wonderful" program.
I think u should only have 1 if YOU can afford to pay for it with what U EARN yourself, thru work, like most of us. What's next? Should we buy them all a Mercedes, too, just because SOME people have them, which is "not fair?" (BTW- I work full-time, but have NO Mercedes...)
Thanks to Democrats (mainly, Obama), this country is going down FAST! I'm sick of it!
What are your thoughts?
well, my thougts are that I have a full time job in which I also pay taxes! I have two children who I work very hard to support.. They both recieve chips cards to help with medical expenses.. I
was thinking about applying for the low income cell phone program in which I think is a wonderful program, one in which MY tax dollars are helping with also... There are alot of low income families in this country, what about the families with children who are recieving foodstamps, another program that I think is wonderful, do you feel that there innocent children do not deserve to eat? Well I think they are all wonderful programs, I agree that there are some people that probably do use the program, but there are alot of people who do work there butts off and still recieve these programs, so please to not judge these people until you walk a mile in there shoes!!!
Beentheredonetha t

Murfreesboro, TN

#16 Oct 17, 2010
Heather, just to chime in here. You made the comment, " one in which MY tax dollars are helping with also". Unfortunatly, that is not correct. YOu do not pay ANY federal income tax. In fact you should be getting more back than you pay in from the earned income tax credit. I am just making this obsevation from the fact that you qualify for the Chips program.
As for this particular program, oh well. It is just another way bleeding heart libs try to feel good about themselves. By spending my money. I am all for helping those who help themselves, so Heather, if you are really working all you can, I gladly will donate my tax dollars to help you. But I do wonder about this part of it though. Do you have a big screen TV? How about cable? Unless you are at someone else's house using thier internet, we know you have that already because you have posted here. Do you smoke or drink? How about illegal drugs? How many cars does your family have and how old are they. Ok, sorry bout that. But if you feel a cell phone is a nessecity, then get one. But do it though your own hard work. 50.00 a month is not that much. CLean a house for someone to make the extra money. Do what it takes to make it on your own, then we will talk.
Think before you point

Clermont, FL

#17 Nov 25, 2010
I do agree that everyone who has a cell phone should be responsible for their own bill. No one pays for mine. If I don't pay. I don't have. Simple.
OK, having said that. I firmly disagree with the statement that Obama has much of anything to do with the dirt that our country is in right now. If you had a pigpen to clean up after a mountain of gluttens pooped before you-you would be in a stink, too!
He has one heck of a mess to straighten up after our last so-called "Leader". Please think before you point.
Obama did NOT create this mess. I hope you have brains enough to know who did. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.
Chad B wrote:
Wow. Just wow.
There is no "Obama phone" or other newly created federal program to provide free cell phones.
The federal "Lifeline" program was created during the Reagan Administration.
Thanks to SafeLink, Lifeline support is now available for wireless phones. Traditionally, the Lifeline program was only available as a discount on a consumerís landline telephone bill.
SafeLink phones are not paid for by taxpayers or the federal government. TracFone Wireless pays for the phones and also the cost of promoting its SafeLink program to make sure that eligible consumers know about the program.
Here's the website.
http://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPub...
Do some research before you complain about absolutely nothing.
think

Lynchburg, VA

#18 Nov 25, 2010
The moral character of any nation is determined by the way the least fortunate of its citizens are treated.
Really

Murfreesboro, TN

#19 Nov 26, 2010
think wrote:
The moral character of any nation is determined by the way the least fortunate of its citizens are treated.
Agreed...But then we are not talking about the "least fortunate" here. I am all for helping those who have been dealt a bad hand in life. But I am sick of helping those who are to sorry to help themselves.
gary

Boynton, OK

#20 Nov 29, 2010
i worked for 35 years then i got sick from work just because i got sick and don't pay tax should i give up everything i worked for

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Personality 2 hr WVgirl 4
reward.. small black dog lost on rt.20 glenwood... 2 hr FSM 3
brittany l the hooker that lives on wickham (Jun '14) 4 hr Tony 29
reward small dog 4 hr Ill say it 2
Men: Don't get involved with women 4 hr Post It Chuck 2
Do you need a fishing license at Glenwood Park (Jul '13) 7 hr evan bailey 6
Tired of hot blondes 15 hr In the know 3

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages