First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Marley

Princeton, WV

#1 Dec 27, 2009
Is this mall officially dead or what? No pizza place, no toy store, no bookstore. Aside from empty stores it seems the place is filled with junk and flea market stores. Only a handful of national chains left in there. I heard FYE could be next. I don't see how the place is going to survive much longer. The best place for a shopping mall would be somewhere out near the exit 9 interchange. I think Mercer Mall has reached the end. There's really no reason to go there anymore.

Since: Dec 09

Beckley, WV

#2 Dec 27, 2009
is Borders already closed. Thought it wasn't closing til the new year.
twilight00

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Dec 27, 2009
borders isnt closed yet,selection is scarce.
gyp

Beckley, WV

#4 Dec 27, 2009
I have said that about the all 10 years ago and still its survies
Jay

Princeton, WV

#5 Dec 27, 2009
gyp wrote:
I have said that about the all 10 years ago and still its survies
I wish it was as nice as it was 10 years ago.
mitt

Beckley, WV

#6 Dec 28, 2009
dont thinkits going to change
Helen T

Richlands, VA

#7 Dec 28, 2009
Its all managements fault they have made some dumb choices over the years some examples are:

-Taking out the bridge in the middle of the mall and the benches and replace them with ghetto chairs that no one will sit in...they look skanky now and probably smell horrible not to mention that only a few people can sit in the middle and wait for their family to shop.

-Large sign...OMG really a mall? I thought it was a hospital with a JC penny inside. Waste of money.

-Charge way too much rent out there. When I worked inside the mall over 8 years ago the rent was $1000 for small shops and $2000 for kiosk. I never heard what the large stores/food places/department stores had to pay.

-Cinemas next door is run down and I never go there so I go to a bigger city to go to the movies then go shopping and I am sure others do the same.
Craig

Princeton, WV

#8 Dec 29, 2009
Yeah the mall is done. They should build one in Princeton out near the interstate.
sunshine

Waynesboro, VA

#9 Dec 29, 2009
I don't think they should do away with this one. They should upgrade it, bring in better stores and food places that appeal to a wide net of people. It could be made to prosper if they want to. It's such a waste to build other ones and leave empty building's set.
Bill

Princeton, WV

#10 Dec 29, 2009
sunshine wrote:
I don't think they should do away with this one. They should upgrade it, bring in better stores and food places that appeal to a wide net of people. It could be made to prosper if they want to. It's such a waste to build other ones and leave empty building's set.
I agree, but that's easier said than done. I read the average life of a mall's viability is about 20 years. Mercer Mall is closing in on 30 years.

Once the quality of stores starts to decline and a mall is taken over by low-grade stores and local junk/craft stores it becomes harder to attract national retailers. They see a mall in decline and simply do not want to be associated with those kinds of stores. Over the years, we've witnessed a slow and steady decline at Mercer Mall. As the national stores close their doors they are replaced by "junk stores." We've not seen any new major stores open in Mercer Mall for years (and don't say Roses).

Additionally, Mercer Mall is run down. The so-called renovations only made it look worse. Also, it seems the center of commerce for our area has moved away from Mercer Mall. It's now split between opposite ends of the county- exit 9 in Princeton and in Bluefield, Virginia.

In my opinion, I don't think there is anything that can be done to salvage Mercer Mall. It won't be long before one of the anchor stores moves out (JC Penny? Sears? K&W?) and there will be more empty stores or flea market stores coming in. Even the theater is run down and there have been constant rumors of a new one in Princeton at some point, which will further kill the mall.

Finally, one has to wonder if our economy can even support a major shopping mall anymore? Remember, Mercer Mall was built right at the end of the coal boom. Since then, we've lost thousands of good paying jobs in our region and now most people are accustomed to doing their shopping online or out of town.
Hmmmm

Franklin, TN

#11 Dec 29, 2009
I think if our area is to support a mall it will have to be near the interstate that can attract people from the hotels, and passing through traffic. I agree that if you want something nice you need to go to Charleston or Roanoke. I perfer Roanoke because Ive noticed many of Charleston's stores moving to Huntington. Beckley is not much better than Bluefields lately.
Curious

Franklin, TN

#12 Dec 29, 2009
I would just like some stores like gymboree.
wow

Tarboro, NC

#13 Jan 2, 2010
it is going downhill fast. the average life-span of any mall is about 20 years. I believe mercer mall is close to 30!
Shopper

United States

#14 Jan 2, 2010
I heard areopostale is coming in soon where kb toys used to be. I heard Victorias secret is also looking to rent a store there. I heard from a worker at macados and they pay 10 k a month for rent
Ray

Princeton, WV

#15 Jan 2, 2010
Shopper wrote:
I heard areopostale is coming in soon where kb toys used to be. I heard Victorias secret is also looking to rent a store there. I heard from a worker at macados and they pay 10 k a month for rent
I know Victoria's Secret, GAP and Aero all looked at Mercer Mall several years back but opted for Beckley at that time.
Yep

Princeton, WV

#16 Jan 2, 2010
Overall teh mall just looks sad and worn out. The so-called "renovations" only made it look worse. I understand it needed updated, but they totally stripped it of any style or character. The quality of stores has steadily gotten worse and I just don't see any major retailers wanting to invest there.
Junk Store as Bill says

Parkersburg, WV

#17 Jan 2, 2010
Helen T wrote:
Its all managements fault they have made some dumb choices over the years some examples are:
-Taking out the bridge in the middle of the mall and the benches and replace them with ghetto chairs that no one will sit in...they look skanky now and probably smell horrible not to mention that only a few people can sit in the middle and wait for their family to shop.
-Large sign...OMG really a mall? I thought it was a hospital with a JC penny inside. Waste of money.
-Charge way too much rent out there. When I worked inside the mall over 8 years ago the rent was $1000 for small shops and $2000 for kiosk. I never heard what the large stores/food places/department stores had to pay.
-Cinemas next door is run down and I never go there so I go to a bigger city to go to the movies then go shopping and I am sure others do the same.
Bill...What is it that you do for a living? I own a Primitive store in the mall & rocked the house since I opened the doors..I think that people like you who need to focus more on maybe trying to better yourself and better your life and future have you thought that maybe you should try to open a store @ the mall since you have such a great vision of what needs to be there??...I work my butt off every single day.@ business and a full time job to boot..The craft store that you call junk is PRIMITIVE HOME DECOR Thank You! It is actually a pretty big thing around here to a whole lot of people and has been for some time now...VERY SORRY YOU FELL THIS WAY!!
Sarge

Elkview, WV

#18 Jan 2, 2010
My wife LOVES your store in the mall.You get lots of my money.... LOL
MeNmy2kids

Rupert, WV

#19 Jan 2, 2010
i have mixed feelings on mercer mall. i do however strongly agree that a mall near exit 9 would be superbly beneficial to this area. with 77 being there, more hotels comin in,etc., princeton needs to further its tourist industry to accomodate people from all over, not just mercer county. i would love to see a new "state of the art" mall come to town. ooohh and a really cool museum that mimics the likes of the smithsonian (because i can be a nerd lol)
Rusty Nail

Parkersburg, WV

#20 Jan 2, 2010
Sarge wrote:
My wife LOVES your store in the mall.You get lots of my money.... LOL
LOL!!! Well i am glad that she likes it!!! I know I sure do Love the primitive stuff...Makes a BEAUTIFUL home!!! I am sure your wife has your home lookin great!! Thank you!!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Do Black People Get Mad For Wishing Them Ha... 1 hr minding my own 8
Mary White- Perry rentals 6 hr Hung 4
Katie mcquade 8 hr Sherman 1
Lee auton 8 hr Just wondering 1
exotic illusions 10 hr Denny 24
jimmy farmer (Feb '12) 11 hr Big sis 8
Turpin Family 11 hr minding my own 2

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages