Dont Do It

Princeton, WV

#21 Sep 20, 2012
Any dog can attack or bite, not just pits. They are dogs, not people, although we do try to condition them to act human. Pits have a bad rep because of the people that use them for their own entertainment, social stigma or monetary funding - ie: dog fighting rings. I used to do some volunteer work with a rescue group that had a crime unit specifically for dog fighting rings near the Bronx in NYC. Its not pretty, some of these dogs just never make it or are thrown in the can like garbage if they don't win big for their owners. One of my kids rescues pits and has raised several of them at a time and found homes for the puppies she took in. She's had several that were very aggressive though. Not all pits are aggressive. Depends on where they came from and how they were treated and used, but if you get them young enough, they can be transformed into wonderful pets. It is people that have given them a bad reputation. By the way, my grandmother used to have a chihuahua that would bite everyone.
Unknown

Princeton, WV

#22 Sep 20, 2012
mountaineers wrote:
the purebred american pit buul terrier is AMERICAS GREATEST WORKING DOG. being EXPLOITED by BACKYARD BREEDERS!,criminals (michael vick),dog fighters (michael vick thug and scumbag). who abise the breeds amazing strenght for their own selfish gain. the american pit bull terrier was used on WW1 posters to symbolize americas strenght,courage,, and loyality. how they are raised is very important for their temperment. Just like alot of people.hell if i was tied up to a tree my whole life i quess i would get pissed off too. They are not for everyone. Just true dog owners that can handle their HIGH ENERGY. is it true that apbt grab and hold on. but what they often grab and fefuse to let go is your HEART. THE MEDIA AND BACKYARD BREEDERS (for profit to make them look like a bully instead of a purebred) ARE KILLING MY TRUE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER! LET US REMEMBER OUR FORGOTTEN HEROES!
The first statement about the "purebred" american pit bull terrier baffles me.....because a pit bull is a MIXED BREED. It is indeed a mix between an american staffordshire terrier and an american bulldog. Nothing more than one of those "designer breeds", like a pomchi or labradoodle. I do however agree that they are missunderstood dogs (they are even missunderstood that they are a 'breed' rather than a mutt) and do not deserve the steriotype of being vicious. Punish the dog owner, not the dog.
mountaineers

Bluefield, WV

#23 Sep 21, 2012
i agree with you correction of purebred i should have used TRUE.in recent years appearances and conformatios vary so widely that it hard to reconize the (OLD WORLD) pit anymore in the (NEW WORLD)creations .Agood reminder why DNA analysis keeps coming back with mixed breed results for so many dogs considered to be pit bulls.THE TRUE AMERICAN PIT BULLS some can be couch potatoes like people others need to channel their enthusiasiam and energy.THEY excell in dog sports,search and rescue, drug and bomb detection,therapy dogs in the 90,s the first kennel to start breeding this new breed was razoredge. they were created to have no gameness or dog aggression. but the sudden demand for blue puppies.many american bully breeders started to inbreeding their dogs to produce more of the blue gene.the blue is actually a genectic defect of the black genome. back yard breeders stafted breeding for size and color.THE TRUE AMERICAN PITT BULL TERRIER is a medium size dog very muscular and weighs between 45 to 65 pounds anything over that is cosidered an american bully not unless it is a couch potatoe.then it wouldn,t be muscular.I'm glad I used DNA the results go back many generations to the irish bloodline.for the GREATEST DOGS ON EARTH! i just love my TRUE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER PS another american bully breeders are GOTTIE/greyline and even remymartin pit bulls.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#24 Sep 21, 2012
Unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
Punish the dog owner, not the dog.
That's who gets punished after their little darling attacks someone and runs up a six figure doctor and hospital bill. If you're going to have pits,be damm sure your homeowner's insurance company knows about it or you may not be covered. A court ordered financial judgement for lawyers, injuries and medical costs can ruin you.
Dawg

Lerona, WV

#25 Sep 22, 2012
Yo man the pitbull be misunderstood just like the black man. For years they chained us up, taught us to play ball and to fight. Now all the sudden they wonder why we so angry.
mountaineers

Bluefield, WV

#26 Sep 22, 2012
Although many pit bulls get a bad rap. Iagree some get viscous. Alot like people. they go do prison and dogs should be put to sleep. But the majority of them are excellent. Pit bulls have become famous. Helen Kellers family dog Sir Thomas. Buster Browns dog Tige Horatio Jackons dog Bud President Theordore Roosevelts Pete. modern significant pit bulls are Weela who saved 31 people,29 dogs 3 horses and 1 cat. and there popsicle a 5 month old puppy originally found dead in a freezer who grew up to become of the nation,s most important "Police Dog. Norton who was placed in the Purina animal hall of fame after he rescued his owner from severe reaction to a spider bite. and for D-Boy who took 3 bullets to save his family from a intruder with a gun. it is amazing how this breed is reviewed. take mike vick for instance having dogs tortured and electricuted,forced pregnacy. and 2 men would swing the dog like a jump rope and slammed to the ground till it died. those would be the ones that would not fight or lossed in the dog fighting ring. but the remainder of dogs that were RESCUED and brought out of that eviroment and went to many family,s homes as woderful pets. I would have taken as many as i could but i was too late to get any of them because when i called they ALL have been adopted. for the GREATESTS DOGS ON EARTH! I luv yuh
Mea

United States

#27 Sep 23, 2012
Pitbulls scare the shit outta me
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#28 Sep 23, 2012
mountaineers wrote:
Although many pit bulls get a bad rap. Iagree some get viscous. Alot like people. they go do prison and dogs should be put to sleep. But the majority of them are excellent. Pit bulls have become famous. Helen Kellers family dog Sir Thomas. Buster Browns dog Tige Horatio Jackons dog Bud President Theordore Roosevelts Pete. modern significant pit bulls are Weela who saved 31 people,29 dogs 3 horses and 1 cat. and there popsicle a 5 month old puppy originally found dead in a freezer who grew up to become of the nation,s most important "Police Dog. Norton who was placed in the Purina animal hall of fame after he rescued his owner from severe reaction to a spider bite. and for D-Boy who took 3 bullets to save his family from a intruder with a gun. it is amazing how this breed is reviewed. take mike vick for instance having dogs tortured and electricuted,forced pregnacy. and 2 men would swing the dog like a jump rope and slammed to the ground till it died. those would be the ones that would not fight or lossed in the dog fighting ring. but the remainder of dogs that were RESCUED and brought out of that eviroment and went to many family,s homes as woderful pets. I would have taken as many as i could but i was too late to get any of them because when i called they ALL have been adopted. for the GREATESTS DOGS ON EARTH! I luv yuh
Lassie and Rin Tin Tin were wonderfull too but for every handfull of good dogs, there are truck loads of those that are like cocked guns ready to go off. It's not a matter of if but when. Far too often,it's not the owner who gets attacked but an innocent neighbor young and old.If you take that chance,be sure to financially cover your azz.
bad news bears

Walnut Cove, NC

#29 Sep 23, 2012
i own a dog that is mixed with a lab and a pit bull..hes is an awesome dog..he has never showed any agression toward anyone or anything..i believe that any dog can turn on someone no matter the breed..you never hear about a lab, collie or even a pomeranian turning on there owners but i know other breeds do they same thing..i speak from experience with the pomeranian i was bit many times by her in my childhood..probably because children tend to antagonize animals..dogs get old just like people but when when an elderly person snaps on someone we dont say its the breed and they should be put down so why do it with dogs?
mountaineers

Bluefield, WV

#30 Sep 23, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Lassie and Rin Tin Tin were wonderfull too but for every handfull of good dogs, there are truck loads of those that are like cocked guns ready to go off. It's not a matter of if but when. Far too often,it's not the owner who gets attacked but an innocent neighbor young and old.If you take that chance,be sure to financially cover your azz.
i have 32 pit bulls in my time each one of them has had temperment tests. Like people there is a handful of good ones and a truckfull of bad. Not once have i had any situations of any being even close to harming anybody or anything. yes there is ronald mc donald and daffy duck but there is taz and wiley coyote too. to many people dcide to get one But go through the wrong channels on finding one. And being in public i respect the people that mig ht look at me or the dog differently. Imake sure that i either go in different area or just let people come to me to pet the dog. once i tell them this is what a true american pit bull looks like from the colby bloodline they are amazed that it don,t look like the american bullies you see 90% of the time. you have to be responsible for your actions and i am. so for pits sake THE GREATEST DOGS ON EARTH the TRUE (TRUE) AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER. LUV YUH! AS a matter of fact i have severe handicapp that involved a major car accident. the people had no insurance driving that ruined my ability to do things they werent financially enough to cover their own AZZ! the human trait is when something frightens you you want to destroy it.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#31 Sep 23, 2012
mountaineers wrote:
<quoted text>i have 32 pit bulls in my time each one of them has had temperment tests. Like people there is a handful of good ones and a truckfull of bad. Not once have i had any situations of any being even close to harming anybody or anything. yes there is ronald mc donald and daffy duck but there is taz and wiley coyote too. to many people dcide to get one But go through the wrong channels on finding one. And being in public i respect the people that mig ht look at me or the dog differently. Imake sure that i either go in different area or just let people come to me to pet the dog. once i tell them this is what a true american pit bull looks like from the colby bloodline they are amazed that it don,t look like the american bullies you see 90% of the time. you have to be responsible for your actions and i am. so for pits sake THE GREATEST DOGS ON EARTH the TRUE (TRUE) AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER. LUV YUH! AS a matter of fact i have severe handicapp that involved a major car accident. the people had no insurance driving that ruined my ability to do things they werent financially enough to cover their own AZZ! the human trait is when something frightens you you want to destroy it.
There are people out there with no idea how to raise a pit other than chain it to a tree out behind the trailer and then bragg about their bad ass dog. When something happens,they only realize they have a problem when the deputy comes serving the papers.
mountaineers

Bluefield, WV

#32 Sep 24, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>There are people out there with no idea how to raise a pit other than chain it to a tree out behind the trailer and then bragg about their bad ass dog. When something happens,they only realize they have a problem when the deputy comes serving the papers.
. how true. the way you see it and many others don,t great tread
nathan

Silver Spring, MD

#33 Sep 24, 2012
Wow who ever thinks ur a bad a** couse u have a pit ur just a UN Ed person that dont know anything about pits or why a pit was breed
Joe

Athens, WV

#34 Sep 24, 2012
Why was a pit breed?? Haha.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#35 Sep 24, 2012
Joe wrote:
Why was a pit breed?? Haha.
The boy was having a bit of a problem there getting his point across.
mountaineers

Bluefield, WV

#36 Sep 25, 2012
for the pet owners that take their beloved dogs in serious condition to the green valley animal hospital in need of blood. did you know that the blood donar is a pit bull (YIKES)!. SO if your pooch gets really aggressive and wants to kill everything it sees. since now your pooch has pit bull dna. don,t blame the GREATEST DOG ON EARTH! THE TRUE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER. Ii just helped save your little lap rat
nathan

Washington, DC

#37 Sep 26, 2012
No I know wat im saying an I know the breed really good
Just facts

Oakvale, WV

#38 Sep 27, 2012
"Pit Bull" is a breed, but more than 25 breeds are commonly mistaken for being pit bulls. They are not and never bred for the purposes of human aggression, and human aggression has in fact been bred out (except for in cases of uneducated, unqualified, and downright ignorant back yard breeders). It is a fact that one appeal of this breed is their fighting abilities in the ring, which necessitates the extermination of human aggressive tendencies because even successful fighters get injured and need care after a fight (which would be impossible to do with an injured aggressive dog).
Out of 50 dogs seized from Micheal Vick only 1 was put to sleep for being human aggressive, 20 were not in anyway aggressive and were immediately rehomed, and 22 went to sanctuaries to work out dog aggression issues. 1 in 50 after that amount of abuse was aggressive...that by itself says a lot about the breed. In testing put bulls rate better in testing that many other family breeds, here is a sample of pass rates:
Pit Bulls....86.8%
Beagle.......80.0%
Basset Hound.85.7%
Border Collie.81.3%
Corgi.........80.0%
Cocker Spaniel.83.3%
chihuahua......68.3%

Need more? Check out the ATTS (American Temperment Testing Society) http://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-p...

Do Pit Bulls bite? Yes! Anything with teeth can bite, but they are far from aggressive baby eating monsters. Hatred of the breed has been fostered by ignorance and biased media coverage in the same way rotties, shepherds, and dobies were in the 1980's and early 90's. All it has done is get innocent animals put to sleep...like the lab mix in Ireland who was put to death for "looking pit bull". Use your heads and stop acting ignorant. Owners also need to step up, treat your dog right and keep them under control (because accidents do happen and not all bites are due to aggression but to the situation and the owner's failure), and stop being a stereotype if you don't like the way you are portrayed.

I have had a pit bull for 13 years, longer than my kids have been alive. He has never even growled at them, but has lived their entire lives as their protector. Dog's like him never make the news..only the bad ones. Remember that.
just me

Portage, MI

#39 Sep 28, 2012
Earlier this week a pitbull killed a 3 month old baby in Texas and yesterday a pitbull killed a 60 year old woman in Oklahoma. Both dogs were described as kind, loving and never showing any aggression. Years of people inbreeding these animals for profit has caused this. I agree its not the dogs fault but I also believe they should be banned.
Just facts

Oakvale, WV

#40 Sep 28, 2012
Wow..people hate facts and research. Go ahead and ban them..you will also have to ban:

Boxer
American Bulldog
English Bull Terrier
Mastiffs (Cane Brasileiro, Dogue de Bordeaux, Neopolitans, etc.)
Chunky Labradors, especially Chesapeakes with their muscular heads
Chow mix
Rottweiler and mixes
French Bullies
Shepherd/Lab mixes, especially if they have those bulging masseter chewing muscles on the sides of their jaws.
Once, people ran at the sight of my friend’s Pug, I mean, he was large for a Pug and manly, but, seriously, people!
Those are just the top 10 of about 200 breeds and mixes mistaken as pits.

Other dog populations (United States):

(estimation) Pit Bulls: 5,256,000

(estimation) Rottweilers: 900,000

(estimation) German Shepherds: 780,000

(estimation) Chows: 240,000

Fatal attacks by these breeds of dogs (1979-1998):

Pit Bulls: 66

Rottweilers: 39

German Shepherds: 17

Chows: 8

When we divide the population by the fatal attacks, we can get a percentage based on the dogs probability of fatally attacking a human.

Pit Bulls:.00125 %

Rottweilers:.00433 %

German Shepherds:.00217%

Chow:.00333%

WELL, it would seem the Pit Bull is at the bottom of the list. 4 times as many Rottweilers, 2 times as many German Shepherds, and 3 times as many Chows are involved in Fatal Attacks based on the population percentage. It is only logical that if there are more Pit Bulls there would be more attacks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Community Connections Tax Form 990 13 min wee willy wiener 50
***"prayer line topic"*** (Nov '11) 15 min naturalwonder 50,377
Amber Marhsall 39 min Overrated 1
Ugly Girls On Facebook (Feb '15) 43 min Overrated 26
Beside Outback Steakhouse 1 hr Crossroads blues 21
Bam Gullion 3 hr Hired this loser 1
Suck it up Teachers 12 hr Weepy 43
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages