Knows Better

Bluefield, WV

#209 Mar 20, 2013
buttercup wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, it has been explained over and over. Any person under 18 is a minor. They cannot legally vote, drink, smoke, be held to a contract, or give consent to sex acts with an adult.
Let me repeat that, a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. If they attempt to give consent, it is invalid and all adults know this whether they want to admit it or not.
It is invalid because teenagers are not emotionally or mentally capable of handing such situations without a high likelihood of harm to themselves. They're immature and believe they know everything when they don't, and they're easily manipulated. Teens may not understand this and may even deny it, but it's true. That's why we have laws to protect them.
Buttercup, thank you for your posts. You are right on and say it very well for all of us who believe our kids are to be protected from all who would harm them and sometimes even from themselves. Good work!
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#210 Mar 20, 2013
Ggfhfg wrote:
By the way I work with teenagers and u would be surprised the reasons why they accept sexual advances from older men. And it's not because they don't know any better or r scared.
Well no, not all the time. I imagine many also do it because they are flattered, think they older adult is "in love with them" or because teens actually believe that they are mature enough to handle it. They aren't, and it often leads to emotional damage.

It doesn't really even matter why. It's still just as bad and just as illegal on the adult's part because the adult has too much of an upper hand and too much power by comparison.
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#211 Mar 20, 2013
Ggfhfg wrote:
Point taken...but even at their young ages they still know about sex and what to do with their body's. I am not condoning what this man done, because he is an adult and has a family. I am just saying for this to have gone on for so long "the victims" need to b held accountable also. I have 2 daughters myself and they know that's its wrong for an adult older than them to ask or advance any sort of sexual acts from them without saying something.
It's not the fact that they know about sex or that their bodies are developed. It's about mental maturity, emotional maturity, and the adult having more power.

There isn't anything much for the alleged victims to be held accountable for. They broke no laws, and they were under the influence of an adult twice their age and with 10x the power they had.

If you really have daughters, then I hope some of this is sinking in. There are adults who will prey on their naivety if given half the chance. If you shame or threaten to punish them should they ever happen to become victims, they will not tell you and may even be victimized further. Predators love nothing more than a victim who feels responsible, or is afraid or ashamed to tell, and they would use it to their advantage.

I find it hard to believe that you have teenage children. When I was younger, it may have been easier for me to think like you because, I too, was fairly young. However, at my age now it's much easier to see why this kind of thing is a crime. An adult predator is easily able to "play" teenagers weaknesses to get what they want due to having more life experience, knowledge, power, and control.
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#212 Mar 20, 2013
Knows Better wrote:
<quoted text>
Buttercup, thank you for your posts. You are right on and say it very well for all of us who believe our kids are to be protected from all who would harm them and sometimes even from themselves. Good work!
Thank you! I'm trying!
w t f

Athens, WV

#213 Mar 20, 2013
Why would the police allow this to happen at Montcolm?????
fairness wrote:
What is so bad us he did do bad very bad but the coaches
At montcalm have been doin way way worse for many many yrs... i was a student athlete there and witnessed and heard the coaches talkn bout it... i mean keith pennington and jimmy mcpherson was messing with 16 yr old girls the entire time they were in school... they even starting dating and living with the girls as soon as they graduated.. so why r these 2 not in prison????? Mcpherson is still the damn head girls basketball coach.. and montcalm athletic director craig havens knew what was goin on the entire time they were public about the relationship.... sooooo mr kirk is by far not only coach in area doin these things.. he is just tha one in tha spotlight...
period

Altavista, VA

#214 Mar 20, 2013
This man is wrong that is a fact. You can't say poor kids though most young teenage girls are fast and act like little hoes. I have seen so many act dress and talk as if they are grown. I am sure everyone of you have seen the same thing. The parents need to stop giving these little girls so much freedom. I bet if the parents did there own investigation they would find out a lot about there kid who they believe are not doing anything.
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#215 Mar 20, 2013
period wrote:
This man is wrong that is a fact. You can't say poor kids though most young teenage girls are fast and act like little hoes. I have seen so many act dress and talk as if they are grown. I am sure everyone of you have seen the same thing. The parents need to stop giving these little girls so much freedom. I bet if the parents did there own investigation they would find out a lot about there kid who they believe are not doing anything.
Dressing, acting, and talking a certain way is not what makes an adult. Mature adults know this. Not to mention that we don't know the girls in question or know ANYTHING at ALL about how they, personally talked, acted, or dressed, so maybe you should refrain from passing damaging judgments like that based on stereotypes and generalizations.
period

Altavista, VA

#216 Mar 20, 2013
buttercup wrote:
<quoted text>
Dressing, acting, and talking a certain way is not what makes an adult. Mature adults know this. Not to mention that we don't know the girls in question or know ANYTHING at ALL about how they, personally talked, acted, or dressed, so maybe you should refrain from passing damaging judgments like that based on stereotypes and generalizations.
Teenagers act like adults by doing acts as an adult would. Having sex is not something a teen-ager should do but an adult would and righteously after marriage.
Teenagers dress in provocative clothing at ages 12-18 sometimes younger. They act immature but think they are acting grown.
My point was these young girls need a reality check the parents need to know what is going on in there childish personal life. Check cell phones check up on them at there friends don't think your child is perfect. A lot of people know who the girls are that took part in the pikeview scandal but they are being protected because they are minors...if you act like an adult you should get treated like one.
Rupert, WV

#217 Mar 20, 2013
http://bdtonline.com/local/x2000916747/Hearin...

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
March 20, 2013
Hearing set for former teacher and coach facing 18 felony charges

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON — A preliminary hearing date has been set for a former Mercer County teacher and coach facing 18 felony charges.

Jonathan Kirk, 34, of Walton, a former teacher and coach at PikeView High School, is charged with 18 felony charges including multiple counts of use of obscene matter with intent to seduce a minor; use of minors in filming sexually explicit conduct; distribution and display to minors of obscene matter; sexual abuse by a parent or custodian; and soliciting a minor via computer, according to an earlier report by Sgt. M.D. Clemons with the Crimes Against Children Unit of the West Virginia State Police.

A preliminary hearing for Kirk has been set for March 25 before Mercer County Magistrate Sandra Dorsey.

Kirk was a former physical education teacher and coach at the school, who worked with the baseball and football teams. All the alleged victims were female students between the ages of 16 and 18 years old, Clemons said in the earlier report.

The majority of the charges stem from events that occurred on the school grounds.

Clemons said the investigation began in December 2012 when the administrators at PikeView High School received a complaint. The principal then contacted the Mercer County Board of Education, which contacted the state police. The alleged activities, which had been happening on Internet social media, had been going on since 2010, according to the earlier report.
Rupert, WV

#218 Mar 20, 2013
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/policeblotter/2...
Kirk allegedly fondled several female students and used social media and text messages to send them sexual images, Baylous said. At least 12 victims came forward and Baylous said there could be more.
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#219 Mar 21, 2013
period wrote:
<quoted text>
Teenagers act like adults by doing acts as an adult would. Having sex is not something a teen-ager should do but an adult would and righteously after marriage.
Teenagers dress in provocative clothing at ages 12-18 sometimes younger. They act immature but think they are acting grown.
My point was these young girls need a reality check the parents need to know what is going on in there childish personal life. Check cell phones check up on them at there friends don't think your child is perfect. A lot of people know who the girls are that took part in the pikeview scandal but they are being protected because they are minors...if you act like an adult you should get treated like one.
Acting "like an adult" does not make one an adult, not even in the eyes of the law except for certain cases involving murder. In this case, the teens were apparently under the direct influence of an adult who was charged with caring for their wellbeing.

As for teens having penetrative sex? You're bringing that up out of nowhere unless you know something I don't. This man is charged with soliciting sex, sending and asking for nude photos from minors, and sexual touching. I have seen nothing that shows that the girls involved were even having sex, not with him or anyone.

Nobody on earth who has ever been a teenager thinks that teenagers are perfect. The point is, imperfect or not, acting "like adults" or not, dressing poorly or not, teens are not adults and should not be taken advantage of by an adult. If they are, it is NOT their fault.
quickie

Lerona, WV

#220 Mar 21, 2013
past offenders wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully the full truth will come out now that he is behind bars victims won't be intimidated, and good people will stand up for what is right and just. That is my "Pollyanna" thought for the day.
I wish this would happen, not sure how many are willing to speak out...maybe their fears will go away, at least I hope so the truth is out.
cant fix stupid

Oakvale, WV

#221 Mar 21, 2013
How did I know before I even read the thread there would be blame the victim trolls out in force? How did I know people would talk about "righteous" sex after marriage?
Period, do you think a 3 year old who runs around the house naked or trys to dance like the people on t.v. are asking to be molested? I guess if they are playing house and pretending to be a mom they should be treated like a wife? Because that is where your "logic" flows. No matter what a kid wears or how they act they do not have the mental maturity to be treated as an adult by adults.
As to your point about parents being at fault, most of these incidents happened ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. Unless you are suggesting parents should go to school with their teenagers and hold their hands between classes, I don't know what you think a parent could have done to stop it.
Teens DO have sex, but with other teens they are on relatively the same maturity level, and other teens don't have a position of authority that can be used to intimidate or coerce sex. Generally, when one party has authority, uses blackmail, or force over another person and uses that for sexual gratification...we call it rape.
The ones who need a "reality check" are the disgusting perverts the state is hiring to mentor and watch our children, and the losers like you who imply that a child who is raped or molested by someone with authority asked for it. Also needing a reality check are those who want to give teachers more authority by arming them "for the protection of our kids". When the teachers are screwing our kids with promises of passing grades or threats of consequences, why should we give them extra intimidation tactics?
wow

Athens, WV

#222 Mar 21, 2013
Nobody even commented on Montcolm ?? Sad.. very sad.
quickie

Lerona, WV

#223 Mar 21, 2013
cant fix stupid wrote:
How did I know before I even read the thread there would be blame the victim trolls out in force? How did I know people would talk about "righteous" sex after marriage?
Period, do you think a 3 year old who runs around the house naked or trys to dance like the people on t.v. are asking to be molested? I guess if they are playing house and pretending to be a mom they should be treated like a wife? Because that is where your "logic" flows. No matter what a kid wears or how they act they do not have the mental maturity to be treated as an adult by adults.
As to your point about parents being at fault, most of these incidents happened ON SCHOOL PROPERTY. Unless you are suggesting parents should go to school with their teenagers and hold their hands between classes, I don't know what you think a parent could have done to stop it.
Teens DO have sex, but with other teens they are on relatively the same maturity level, and other teens don't have a position of authority that can be used to intimidate or coerce sex. Generally, when one party has authority, uses blackmail, or force over another person and uses that for sexual gratification...we call it rape.
The ones who need a "reality check" are the disgusting perverts the state is hiring to mentor and watch our children, and the losers like you who imply that a child who is raped or molested by someone with authority asked for it. Also needing a reality check are those who want to give teachers more authority by arming them "for the protection of our kids". When the teachers are screwing our kids with promises of passing grades or threats of consequences, why should we give them extra intimidation tactics?
great analysis ! And I love the "Blame The Victim Trolls" label...makes me wonder who would even think like that...family?...another coach?...sex offenders??? It's is scary, I just hope it is not one or more of his work buddies.
quickie

Lerona, WV

#224 Mar 21, 2013
wow wrote:
It is true, but old news...yes sad still.
period

Altavista, VA

#225 Mar 21, 2013
Its not blaming the victims its letting them know they have consequences for their actions. You can argue on topic and voice your opinion just as I can that will never change the fact that everyone invovled is to blame EVEN THE TEENAGERS. My point was not to offend you or anyone else but more to let parents know they need to monitor their kids and it would help with prevention. School principles should pay more attention to staff and students thus would help with prevention. The community should pull together this will help with prevention.
No one wanted this to happen but since it has lets pull together and help stop it.
hello

Oakvale, WV

#226 Mar 21, 2013
wow wrote:
I totally agree that montcalm needs looked in to. They have needed to be investigated for years including when I was a student there and probably before that. I recall a few thay come to mind at the moment. One of them had a baby with their student at the time. It makes you not feel safe sending your children to school.
second that

Bluefield, WV

#227 Mar 22, 2013
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree that montcalm needs looked in to. They have needed to be investigated for years including when I was a student there and probably before that. I recall a few thay come to mind at the moment. One of them had a baby with their student at the time. It makes you not feel safe sending your children to school.
I agree...but don't see that happening...been going on for years, some of the culprits have moved to other states and got jobs there.
w t f

Athens, WV

#228 Mar 22, 2013
montcalm should not get a pass if that type of activity is going on.... I know for a fact one of the coaches knocked up 2 of their students... yes 2 of their students.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***"prayer line topic"*** (Nov '11) 17 min Sundog512 56,150
what you think about kelly's tank and the peopl... (Mar '10) 7 hr Charbear 41
Old Move Theater On Mercer St (Jun '13) 9 hr Hillary 194
Bluefield Dailey News 12 hr Weepy 16
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Thu knot 1,766
Possible positives if Cole is elected? Thu CITIZEN KANE 17
Keep a word, drop a word (May '12) Thu Mark mark 5,485

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages