wowee

Saint Paul, MN

#189 Mar 18, 2013
buttercup wrote:
<quoted text>
I agreed with you up until you started blaming victims. Yes, teens of both genders should be taught to tell and not to participate willingly, but you said it yourself. Predators are so manipulative that they can even manipulate and fool fully grown, well educated adults. A teen is far easier to prey on and manipulate. So yes, educate teens but when you start telling them that being a victim is morally wrong, you create a situation that predators love: Victims who are afraid to tell due to shame and potential punishment. In essence, an attitude like that would only benefit sex offenders and allow them to continue what they're doing.
I never even came close to blaming anyone who is truly a 'victim'. These girls are not victims in the true and just sense of the word. At their age, they know right from wrong, yet they behave like this and take part in it willingly, knowing they won't have to be responsible when the crap hits the fan because they're underage and they get to use the victim card. If he raped them, then they should castrate him and pour salt in the wound... it's obvious that isn't what happened, so they are not victims. They knew what they were doing.
papa

Princeton, WV

#190 Mar 18, 2013
http://www.wvnstv.com/story/21675135/new-deta...

"The investigation led Sgt. Clemons to interview 11 alleged victims ages 16 to 18, all dating back to 2010. 59 News got a copy of the criminal complaint that details 7 of the alleged victim's accounts of what happened.

While the criminal complaint is graphic, the accusations alleged Kirk had inappropriate relations with several students. According to the complaint, it alleged Kirk communicated with several females in person and online in a sexual manner. It also alleged, Kirk inappropriately touched, asked for sexual favors, sent explicit pictures and requested explicit pictures from several alleged victims."
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#191 Mar 18, 2013
wowee wrote:
<quoted text>
I never even came close to blaming anyone who is truly a 'victim'. These girls are not victims in the true and just sense of the word. At their age, they know right from wrong, yet they behave like this and take part in it willingly, knowing they won't have to be responsible when the crap hits the fan because they're underage and they get to use the victim card. If he raped them, then they should castrate him and pour salt in the wound... it's obvious that isn't what happened, so they are not victims. They knew what they were doing.
I don't think it's up to you to decide who is and is not a victim. Obviously the justice system considers them legitimate potential victims. According to the news report posted above, at least 11 different girls have come forward with accusations dating back to 2010, and those are just the ones who've spoken out. Who knows how many more could exist?

So only forcible rape is crime to you? Would you feel that way if a man was sending sexual messages to your underage daughter? If he sent her nude photos? Solicited sex and nude photos from her? Touched her inappropriately? I'm sorry but a teenage girl who has that happen to her, even if she agreed, most certainly IS a victim. If teens were old enough to navigate and engage in that sort of behavior with adults, then it wouldn't be illegal.
wowee

Saint Paul, MN

#192 Mar 18, 2013
buttercup wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's up to you to decide who is and is not a victim. Obviously the justice system considers them legitimate potential victims. According to the news report posted above, at least 11 different girls have come forward with accusations dating back to 2010, and those are just the ones who've spoken out. Who knows how many more could exist?
So only forcible rape is crime to you? Would you feel that way if a man was sending sexual messages to your underage daughter? If he sent her nude photos? Solicited sex and nude photos from her? Touched her inappropriately? I'm sorry but a teenage girl who has that happen to her, even if she agreed, most certainly IS a victim. If teens were old enough to navigate and engage in that sort of behavior with adults, then it wouldn't be illegal.
It certainly isn't up to me to decide if they're truly victims. If it was, I would stand by what I said before. These girls knew what they were doing, they knew if the situation was exposed they wouldn't be held responsible for their actions, so I don't feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for their families and for his family, but I don't have sympathy for the parties involved. They were playing games with him. And if it were my daughter, I would be very upset-with him AND with my daughter. I didn't say that only forcible rape makes someone a victim, I said that in this situation, the so-called "victims" knew exactly what they were doing and willingly participated. That's not a victim, that's disturbing. Yes, he should be punished, but if it were MY daughter, I would make sure she knew she was wrong and she would own what she did. They know better, but because they are minors, they are never held responsible for their actions... that's sad. That's what is wrong with this country. We raise our kids to always blame somebody else for the stupid choices they make. Then they grow up and continue to blame somebody else. It's not right.
1 post removed
fairness

Bluefield, WV

#194 Mar 18, 2013
And craig havens has slept with students for 25 yrs and the school officials know about this and what does he get?????? A promotion to assistant principle...... wow... and if u ever went to Montcalm high u know this is all true.. the coaches here made mr kirk look like an angel...
NoOne Important

Chesapeake, OH

#195 Mar 19, 2013
wowee wrote:
I am going to throw in my opinion...and I feel quite certain someone will have a problem with it, but here goes:
Forcible rape or sexual assault is something entirely different from what he is charged with. HOWEVER, it is still a crime, and he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Is he a 'rapist'? I don't think the label fits him well, simply because it has been made known that the 'victims' were not placed in a situation where they were physically restrained, nor did they have their lives or their physical safety threatened. With that said, I believe he is just as dangerous as someone who DOES restrain or intimidate another person for sexual gratification...and possibly MORE dangerous, as he is apparently very good at carrying on a normal existence, he is obviously very good at fooling his friends and family and his wife (who I feel just terrible for), only to receive sexual favors from girls who aren't even the legal age of consent in the state of WV. He is a disturbed individual, and I hope he enjoys his time behind bars. The problem doesn't end there, though, because our daughters are behaving this way, they are willing participants in this, and they should be taught better. These girls should NEVER be under the impression that it is EVER acceptable to enter into any type of sexual relationship with a grown man - teacher or otherwise - and they should be taught that the very first time they are flirted with by their teacher, or made to feel like they are being viewed as sexual objects by ANY adult, they have to tell someone they trust - be it a parent, a counselor, a grandparent, or even another teacher. They HAVE to be taught that this behavior is not only morally wrong, but it is criminal, and they should never, EVER be made to feel ashamed or embarrassed if they have to tell. They also have to be taught that it is morally wrong for them to enter into such a relationship with an adult, and if they choose to do so, that adult is only using them, and that adult will eventually be caught and will go to jail. He is deserving of any and all punishment he may receive, but if it were my daughter, I would make absolutely sure she was punished for her voluntary participation in this. Like it or not, if these girls allowed this to happen, they are deserving of their own punishment. I realize that he is in a position of great responsibility, and he is an individual who should be able to be trusted with our children...but our children need to be taught that they are CHILDREN, and cannot behave this way. Period.
. Well said !!
quickie

Princeton, WV

#196 Mar 19, 2013
http://bdtonline.com/local/x620878230/Facing-...

“He was initially charged with SEVEN victims today. There have been 11 or 12 potential victims interviewed,” Clemons said.“When the grand jury convenes in June, there will probably be ADDITIONAL charges. He was arrested on 18 felonies today.”
Legit

Waynesboro, VA

#197 Mar 19, 2013
awful wrote:
<quoted text>
It is ridiculous to suggest that. What about your family members?
What about them?? You beter check your family members.
Knows Better

Bluefield, WV

#198 Mar 19, 2013
It is difficult for me to believe that the school administration at PikeView had no idea this was going on for 2 years before they found out about it. There is not much that kids don't tell each other, and adults in charge who are observant and vigilant should be picking up on what is said and checking it out. Sometimes there is a basis for rumors. These acts happened on school grounds. It doesn't speak highly of the listening skills, judgment or interest of those in charge of maintaining a safe learning environment for the school kids.
PAYBACK

Athens, WV

#199 Mar 19, 2013
Jimmy Mcpherson has always been trash. Didn't he knock up a couple of underage girls? Perhaps the WV State Police should investigate in the Montcalm area......
fairness wrote:
What is so bad us he did do bad very bad but the coaches
At montcalm have been doin way way worse for many many yrs... i was a student athlete there and witnessed and heard the coaches talkn bout it... i mean keith pennington and jimmy mcpherson was messing with 16 yr old girls the entire time they were in school... they even starting dating and living with the girls as soon as they graduated.. so why r these 2 not in prison????? Mcpherson is still the damn head girls basketball coach.. and montcalm athletic director craig havens knew what was goin on the entire time they were public about the relationship.... sooooo mr kirk is by far not only coach in area doin these things.. he is just tha one in tha spotlight...
oh my lord

Cedar Bluff, VA

#200 Mar 19, 2013
so I get the he was wrong but what about the girls are they not wrong too? I think what he did was sick and needs to be in jail for it but the girls knew it was wrong .. so what they just get to walk away with nothing I have a 16 year old and she knows what is right and what is not and I think the girls can say all they want but they knew what was going on
Look more unto it

Chesapeake, OH

#201 Mar 19, 2013
Rumor has it, one of the principal walked by his office when it was going on, then the same principal saw it happen in his truck on school grounds. Wonder if it was report then if it would have just be two counts and not 18????
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#202 Mar 19, 2013
oh my lord wrote:
so I get the he was wrong but what about the girls are they not wrong too? I think what he did was sick and needs to be in jail for it but the girls knew it was wrong .. so what they just get to walk away with nothing I have a 16 year old and she knows what is right and what is not and I think the girls can say all they want but they knew what was going on
Look, it has been explained over and over. Any person under 18 is a minor. They cannot legally vote, drink, smoke, be held to a contract, or give consent to sex acts with an adult.

Let me repeat that, a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. If they attempt to give consent, it is invalid and all adults know this whether they want to admit it or not.

It is invalid because teenagers are not emotionally or mentally capable of handing such situations without a high likelihood of harm to themselves. They're immature and believe they know everything when they don't, and they're easily manipulated. Teens may not understand this and may even deny it, but it's true. That's why we have laws to protect them.
Ggfhfg

Chesapeake, OH

#203 Mar 19, 2013
Ok, so they can not as u say, "vote, smoke, be held responsible for contract" ect....but they can have baby's everyday at the age of 16. So why are the guys that get these girls pregnant on a daily basis not being arrested?
buttercup

Lewisburg, WV

#204 Mar 19, 2013
Ggfhfg wrote:
Ok, so they can not as u say, "vote, smoke, be held responsible for contract" ect....but they can have baby's everyday at the age of 16. So why are the guys that get these girls pregnant on a daily basis not being arrested?
They can get pregnant because of biology obviously, girls can start menstruating at ages as young as 8 or nine.

The reason that the males that get them pregnant aren't arrested is because in most cases, they are also minors and getting another minor pregnant isn't a criminal act. The girl and boy are on relatively equal mental and emotional footing.

If they are adults or in cases of rape by another minor, then they SHOULD be arrested, and often are when it is reported appropriately.
rut row

Princeton, WV

#205 Mar 19, 2013
Look more unto it wrote:
Rumor has it, one of the principal walked by his office when it was going on, then the same principal saw it happen in his truck on school grounds. Wonder if it was report then if it would have just be two counts and not 18????
ugh...talk about a "Can Of Worms" or "The Elephant In The Room"...smh
Ggfhfg

Chesapeake, OH

#206 Mar 20, 2013
Point taken...but even at their young ages they still know about sex and what to do with their body's. I am not condoning what this man done, because he is an adult and has a family. I am just saying for this to have gone on for so long "the victims" need to b held accountable also. I have 2 daughters myself and they know that's its wrong for an adult older than them to ask or advance any sort of sexual acts from them without saying something.
Ggfhfg

Chesapeake, OH

#207 Mar 20, 2013
By the way I work with teenagers and u would be surprised the reasons why they accept sexual advances from older men. And it's not because they don't know any better or r scared.
past offenders

Rupert, WV

#208 Mar 20, 2013
Knows Better wrote:
It is difficult for me to believe that the school administration at PikeView had no idea this was going on for 2 years before they found out about it. There is not much that kids don't tell each other, and adults in charge who are observant and vigilant should be picking up on what is said and checking it out. Sometimes there is a basis for rumors. These acts happened on school grounds. It doesn't speak highly of the listening skills, judgment or interest of those in charge of maintaining a safe learning environment for the school kids.
Hopefully the full truth will come out now that he is behind bars victims won't be intimidated, and good people will stand up for what is right and just. That is my "Pollyanna" thought for the day.
Knows Better

Bluefield, WV

#209 Mar 20, 2013
buttercup wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, it has been explained over and over. Any person under 18 is a minor. They cannot legally vote, drink, smoke, be held to a contract, or give consent to sex acts with an adult.
Let me repeat that, a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. If they attempt to give consent, it is invalid and all adults know this whether they want to admit it or not.
It is invalid because teenagers are not emotionally or mentally capable of handing such situations without a high likelihood of harm to themselves. They're immature and believe they know everything when they don't, and they're easily manipulated. Teens may not understand this and may even deny it, but it's true. That's why we have laws to protect them.
Buttercup, thank you for your posts. You are right on and say it very well for all of us who believe our kids are to be protected from all who would harm them and sometimes even from themselves. Good work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daphane Paige 2 hr Brittany Blankenship 5
the big boobed girl at kroger name starts with a s 3 hr schexy mary 25
Quintina Gentry 4 hr Brittany 2
band called transit times (Jul '10) 5 hr Aunt Bea 369
Biggest rat in ptown 13 hr know 5
Biggest rat in ptown 13 hr know 6
Gambling places 16 hr Curious George 1

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance