Postal cutbacks could cost $5 billion

Apr 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Click2Houston

Unions and some lawmakers say the U.S. Postal Service's plans to close plants and post offices would turn customers away and hasten the service's downward spiral.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

And These INCOMPETENTS want to run OBAMA CARE??..What a bunch of FUBARS!!
Obsolete

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

The Post Office is Obsolete.
Sheik Yerbouti

Lambertville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Technology has been a game changer for the post office. Why would anyone in their right mind send a letter that takes three to five days to arrive at its destination when they can send an email in seconds. The only snail mail I receive are bills and junk mail. The post office has failed to keep up with the latest technology and now they are paying the price. I hate to see any living wage jobs disappear but the demise of the post office is inevitable.
scout

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Just get rid of all federal departments or size them WAY down, stop all invasions of other countries, control the borders, stop all legal immigration, make federal reserve and IRS criminal racketeering, gut the military, and vote out nearly all DC politico neo-Marxists.

I have a dream!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Federal agency accused of spending $820G on Vegas bash also spent $250G on incentive program..........

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

if bulk-mail rates were limited to non-profits only, the USPS would make hella cash.
Yourecrazy

Perry, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Technology has been a game changer for the post office. Why would anyone in their right mind send a letter that takes three to five days to arrive at its destination when they can send an email in seconds. The only snail mail I receive are bills and junk mail. The post office has failed to keep up with the latest technology and now they are paying the price. I hate to see any living wage jobs disappear but the demise of the post office is inevitable.
A lot of things still depend on the postal office. Thank God. They won't be put out of business. It would be impossible. There are too many packages and material that can't be sent via the internet that goes through the postal service. And now a days, it is a lot quicker than three to five days. I sent out birthday party invites last month, and everyone but one person received them the next day. I mailed an official government document on Tuesday, they called me to ask me about it today, meaning they had received it and it had gone through THEIR mail room process as well, so they probably got it the next day. Mail is delivered a lot faster through the post office these days. Where as UPS and the other companies have become more sluggish.
I have to defend the Postal Service though, and hope they don't close up shop. My boyfriend works for them. He's a postal delivery person. And he works his ass off. You would think that they would have cut back on employees or something because of less people using the US postal service. This week, he's working 12 hour days all week long because two people are on vacation. And that's six days in a row. They still have the business. But, that being said, he delivers in the college area here (I won't say which one here on topix, but it's a Big 10 college.) So, that keeps that local postal service busy. ESPECIALLY at the begining of semesters, when students have ordered books online.
Yourecrazy

Perry, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

I totally agree with you. All of that "spam" snail mail....they would still want to mail it all out, but would have to pay more to do so. I used to work for a company who sent out those "spam" mailers to local areas around me. I couldn't believe the amount of TRASH that's mailed out. And sorting it just right? PAIN IN THE ASS. LOL
anneutral wrote:
if bulk-mail rates were limited to non-profits only, the USPS would make hella cash.
brad

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Yourecrazy wrote:
I totally agree with you. All of that "spam" snail mail....they would still want to mail it all out, but would have to pay more to do so. I used to work for a company who sent out those "spam" mailers to local areas around me. I couldn't believe the amount of TRASH that's mailed out. And sorting it just right? PAIN IN THE ASS. LOL<quoted text>
Once again we fail to learn from history.
The internet is just as guilty with its constant barrage of spam and pop up ads.
Cyber junk mail.

Bwaaa,,,
HATE

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Many of us still have to send alot and get alot of mail..Not all of us could afford Fed-ex or UPS for deliveries....Also many of us cant e-pay bills...Many of us dont even have checking accounts or bank accounts....I DONT TRUST BANKS AND CREDIT CARD companies.....Cash only for me...and pre-loaded debit cards is all I will ever use...
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act passed in 2006 forces the postal service to prefund its future retiree health benefits for the next 75 years in just 10 years' time. No other federal agency is required to meet these standards.

Virtually all of the postal debt is due to this unfair law. The USPS has $42 billion in its prefund account; enough to cover premiums for 20 years. If not for this regulation, the postal service would have been moderately profitable to the tune of $611 million over the past four years.

While these factors may cause some fiscal pain, almost all of the postal service’s losses over the last four years can be traced back to a single, artificial restriction forced onto the Post Office by the Republican-led Congress in 2006.
liza

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

DO you ever think of anyone BUT yourself???
Have you always gotten your way?
STOP for one minute, and think.
Like everything else, it needs cleaned up and rid
of the do-nothings who draw way toooo much money.
BUT getting rid of everything we ever knew, IS
NOT the ANSWER. YOU have had your "wake-up"
call, but as expected, you followed the leader.
Just easier for those who are brain dead.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

HATE wrote:
Many of us still have to send alot and get alot of mail..Not all of us could afford Fed-ex or UPS for deliveries....Also many of us cant e-pay bills...Many of us dont even have checking accounts or bank accounts....I DONT TRUST BANKS AND CREDIT CARD companies.....Cash only for me...and pre-loaded debit cards is all I will ever use...
hahah your a boge with a computer and access, but you can't have a checking account....hahahahha.
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

Judged:

Le Jimbo wrote:
Federal agency accused of spending $820G on Vegas bash also spent $250G on incentive program..........
Funny, if it were republican's the "bash" would be a meet/greet and the "incentives" would be souvenirs....
The Insider

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

First and foremost, we are again believing everything your being told. And ask yourselves, whos doing the telling. If Postal employees were given the right to tell, oh boy wold you all get a big surprise! Its all about the mis-management of the business. Again Top Dogs are making outragious salaries. Kinda like some other big businesses in the past. If its not controlled at the top, then it trickles down. There's mail out there and its being delivered 6 days a week and quicker than you think. And please dont forget about The Lost Generation. The elderly do not use the internet nor should they have to.
torch

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

This looking more and more of a good plan to start charging those that pay online banking, hmmmm
can anyone see far enough ahead to see what im seeing?
but then again most will say what a conspiracy nut just like the vaccines with thermisol or however you spell it in them, until you read the insert that says why yes we inject mercury in your kids.
Always Thinking

Jefferson City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2012

The post office teis to loose money every time they want more money. Use them and just watch how things go nuts every time they want money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Princeton Discussions

Search the Princeton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Jul 1 Francis Sheer 24
Astronaut, comedian, filmmaker honoured in late... Jun 30 run away 1
Astronaut, comedian, filmmaker honoured in late... Jun 30 soldier on 1
Basement Waterproofing May '14 Sian 1
Foundation Repair and Waterproofing in Princeton May '14 Able 2
South Brunswick house fire leaves man in critic... (Mar '11) Apr '14 Daniel Goldman 29
Congressional panels seek 'real people' (Mar '07) Mar '14 Wynn 2
•••
•••

Princeton News Video

•••
•••

Princeton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Princeton People Search