Baby's first trip to doctor turns tragic in car-train collision

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

Comments on Topix forums : PRINCETON Authorities say a train-car collision in rural Johnston County killed a couple and critically injured their infant son.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Sep 2, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karen

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Its very tragic that it takes someone getting killed before safety measures that should have already been in place are taken.
local

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Karen wrote:
Its very tragic that it takes someone getting killed before safety measures that should have already been in place are taken.
How many times have you seen that happen around here?

Last week a man was killed on 280 at the worst intersection on that road and it has been dangerous for several YEARS. The state should be liable for that death.

And a very dangerous intersection is on the east end of Haywood Road and Beverly. It needs at least some STOP signs! Folks who could decide to make it safer have so far chosen NOT to.

And the highway in Swannanoa is VERY dangerous in front of Asheville Health Care because the speed limit INCREASES right in front of that place- with hidden drives and lots of traffic pulling out into the highway.

All of these places have had serious/fatal accidents, yet nothing is done to make them any safer.

It seems like a good lawyer could retire taking a few of the resultant injury lawsuits.
Ann

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

You should Stop, Look and Listen when you are crossing any RR Track. You are taught Safety in Drivers ED. And it has been many years but use to be on the drivers license test. Every report that you read always says the train hit the vehicle, but the train is on the tracks the vehicle is the one that crosses his path they can not bow up like a car it can take as much as a mile to get a train stopped. I fill sorry that someone got killed and child injured but if they had been paying attention and doing driving correctly they would all be at home with there child. Please remember to always remember anytime is train time and to always Stop Look and Listen at every crossing even if it has crossing arms, bells and lights!

“CLAN ROSE”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2008

Ann wrote:
You should Stop, Look and Listen when you are crossing any RR Track. You are taught Safety in Drivers ED. And it has been many years but use to be on the drivers license test. Every report that you read always says the train hit the vehicle, but the train is on the tracks the vehicle is the one that crosses his path they can not bow up like a car it can take as much as a mile to get a train stopped. I fill sorry that someone got killed and child injured but if they had been paying attention and doing driving correctly they would all be at home with there child. Please remember to always remember anytime is train time and to always Stop Look and Listen at every crossing even if it has crossing arms, bells and lights!
Thanks, Ann. Too often the railroad is blamed for the tragedies, when common sense and alertness of the driver have been faulty. We were taught to stop at the grade crossing, regardless, and roll the window down in winter so we could hear. Of course, that was back in the 60's when there were fewer noisemaking devices in cars.

I do hope the child recovers, and one of the grandparents can bring it up in a loving home.
KRB

Greenville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2008

I think that you shouldn't be so rude about this situation I'm a close friend and by reading this you have upset me even more of course your suppose to stop look and listen he knew that but when you have a brand new baby and he probably turned his head to check on him and didn't see the train this is a hard time for me and many others, people like you should keep there opinions to themselves there not wanted!!!!
Fake Poseur

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2008

Judged:

When will they stop allowing babies to drive?

Seriously, humans too dumb to avoid a TRAIN should not breed. Stop. Look. Listen.

If this were 150 years ago, the whole family would have been eaten by Indians. Slow, blind, retarded Indians.

Darwinism in action, learn from it.

“CLAN ROSE”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2008

KRB wrote:
I think that you shouldn't be so rude about this situation I'm a close friend and by reading this you have upset me even more of course your suppose to stop look and listen he knew that but when you have a brand new baby and he probably turned his head to check on him and didn't see the train this is a hard time for me and many others, people like you should keep there opinions to themselves there not wanted!!!!
My first wife and I had three girls. When we were in the car, she tended to the babies, while I drove. That was a given.

I don't care if you are a friend. You need to accept the fact that the young man did something that cost him and his fiancee their lives, and very nearly his child's life. I've lost friends in acts of stupidity, and nobody hurt my feelings with the truth.

How in the world did the boy miss hearing the horns on the locomotive? Do you realise how loud those things are? Do you realise the sign directing the sounding of those horns was at least a quarter mile away from the grade crossing? Do you realise the crew on that train have to wear ear protection to prevent hearing loss from those horns? Wake up! If you don't, you could wind up involved in the same sort of situation!
JDD

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

I just wanted to read more on the story & update..then i found this site. what is wrong with you people???
it's the wrong time to being talking about the coulda, woulda, shoulda's and just offer support for the family. a mistake was made & i'm sure everyone knows that, but don't rub it in! you all are NOT caring human beings. this makes me sad to read some of the things on here & i didn't even know them. however, i have met the mother of the girl & they are nice people!!! i would never respond to someone in the manner you all have in a time of so much pain....have any of you ever lost someone that close to you?!?!
i have prayed so much for this family & will continue to do so! i pray they find peace...

“CLAN ROSE”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

JDD wrote:
I just wanted to read more on the story & update..then i found this site. what is wrong with you people???
it's the wrong time to being talking about the coulda, woulda, shoulda's and just offer support for the family. a mistake was made & i'm sure everyone knows that, but don't rub it in! you all are NOT caring human beings. this makes me sad to read some of the things on here & i didn't even know them. however, i have met the mother of the girl & they are nice people!!! i would never respond to someone in the manner you all have in a time of so much pain....have any of you ever lost someone that close to you?!?!
i have prayed so much for this family & will continue to do so! i pray they find peace...
You know, the baby is my concern. The parents are gone, but who will take care of the baby? Why aren't you concerned for the baby?
If you don't like what you read here, let me be the first to inform you of your Constitutional rights to stay away. We heard your whine the first time. Now you're back with more whine. Go, support the families of these two young people who lost their lives because of a stupid mistake, and help see to it the child is brought up in a loving, caring family.

“8 year nightmare is over”

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

Probably had the rap music thumping so loud he couldn't hear the train, never mind that he has a 6 day old baby in the car.

It is really hard NOT to hear a train, and it is really stupid not look when approaching tracks.
JCFA

West Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

IF YOU WERE UP TO DATE ON THE SITUATION YOU WOULD KNOW THAT THE BABY HAS PASSED AWAY, & I AGREE WITH JDD, THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE PLACING BLAME ON ANYONE, YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT VERY MATURE OTHERWISE YOU WOULDN'T BE COMMENTING WITH SUCH LITTLE RESPECT & REGARD FOR THE FAMILY FOR THE FAMILY, THERE IS NO SENSE IN A TIME OF TRAGEDY TO SAY SUCH HURTFUL THINGS ABOUT PEOPLE WHO CANNOT EVEN DEFEND THEMSELVES, THE ONLY ONES WHO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED ARE NOT HERE, SO PEOPLE NEED TO KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT & COMMENTS TO THEMSELVES WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SITUATION. THE GIRL WAS A VERY DEAR FRIEND OF MINE & IT IS JUST SAD THAT PEOPLE CAN BE SO MEAN & SO DISRESPECTFUL ABOUT SOMETHING THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. I GUESS SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO COUTH.

Since: Feb 07

Asheville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Judged:

There is a very dangerous track right here in Asheville on Riverside DR close to the feed store. I was coming from the Asheville area had just gone under the train trussel bridge and was driving over those tracks that go right through the street and a train was bearing down on me about to t-bone my car.

Those tracks really don't have a warning other than a sign warning bikers the tracks are there.And I never even knew they were live tracks! in all the time I've drove down there I've never seen a train go on them. These are the tracks that cross the street and run down the length of riverside dr by the feed store, parts place and junk yard.

There was no train whistle to alert me or crossing arms to even let me know it was a live track and with the radio on I didn't hear it.Wasn't until I saw it out the corner of my eye did I know it was there...lucky for me they go slow through that area.
stop signs

Greenville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

many idiots here run stop signs and red lights.
the city cops at these red lights do NOTHING.
tickets are issued only after a crash.
keeps tourons happy.
SRC

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

I HEARD ABOUT THiS STORY FiRST FROM MY SiSTER. iT LiTERALLY BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES TO FiND OUT A FEW DAYS LATER THAT THE NEW BORN BABY DiD NOT MAKE iT THROUGH RECOVERY. BUT NOT ONCE DiD iT COME TO MY MiND TO THiNK OF SOME OF THE MOST iGNORANT THiNGS THAT SOME OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY ABOUT 3 LiVES THAT WERE SPARED BECAUSE OF AN ACCiDENT. i ONLY FEEL GRiEF FOR THE FAMiLY THAT LOST THEiR LOVED ONES AND THE SOULS THAT HAVE PASSED. NOBODY CAN ACTUALLY SAY WHY iT HAPPENED OR WHOSE TO BLAME...SO WHAT iF iT WAS AN HONEST MiSTAKE OR WHATEVER THE CASE MAY HAVE BEEN. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT HERE ANYMORE CAN YOU NOT SHOW ANY RESPECT?? THEiR FAMiLiES ARE READiNG THiS PROBABLY HOPiNG FOR SUPPORT...YOUNG AND ELDER. WHAT iF iT WAS YOUR FAMiLY...ARE YOU GONNA SAY OH WELL THE DUMB ASS SHOULDA BEEN LOOKiN WHERE THE HELL HE WAS GOiN??!!!!
TO THE FAMiLiES OF THESE YOUNG LiVES...i AM SO SORRY AND YOU WiLL BE iN MY PRAYERS TONiGHT. MAY PEACE REST UPON THEiR SOULS. GOD FORGiVE THE iGNORANT!
carolinakid56

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

I too wish for the family to get some peace' and they will be in our prayers' and we will also pray for people being so rude at a time they should be showing surport for the family'BUT THIS IS THE WAY SOCIETY IS HEADED TODAY/I do wish the best for the kid.
JDD

Cary, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

NO u didn't hear my "whine" the first time because that was the first post i made, until now that is! the baby passed the next day, which i know because the maternal grandmother stays @ the same campground we do, at the beach. she has always been a lovely lady, that's why i feel the need to speak up for the family! i prayed that the lil precious boy could live because that would have been a blessing for the family and he would have been well cared for!!! but i'm also happy he didn't have to suffer and believe God took care of that lil one. So if it's a Constitutional right to speak freely, then i have just as much right as you do to speak my own mind and opinion. If you don't like what i have to say, then maybe you should go...take your negativity and stupidity somewhere else! it is not wanted...

i will continue to offer my support for this family and pray for them!
Old Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, the baby is my concern. The parents are gone, but who will take care of the baby? Why aren't you concerned for the baby?
If you don't like what you read here, let me be the first to inform you of your Constitutional rights to stay away. We heard your whine the first time. Now you're back with more whine. Go, support the families of these two young people who lost their lives because of a stupid mistake, and help see to it the child is brought up in a loving, caring family.
Angie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2008

Fake Poseur wrote:
When will they stop allowing babies to drive?
Seriously, humans too dumb to avoid a TRAIN should not breed. Stop. Look. Listen.
If this were 150 years ago, the whole family would have been eaten by Indians. Slow, blind, retarded Indians.
Darwinism in action, learn from it.
Geez...Grow up. I guess you expect all of us to belive that you stop COMPLETELY, look and listen.... I think not.
carolinakid56

Cocoa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

I'M SORRY TO HEAR THE BABY PASS ON'GOD MADE SURE HE HAD HIS BEST ANGEL LEAD HIM HOME' PLEASE PEOPLE IF YOU KNOW THE FAMILY SHOW THEM A LITTLE LOVE AND DO SOMETHING NICE FOR THEM' GOD BLESS AND YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE IN OWN HEARTS'
carolinakid56

Cocoa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

I would like to say one more thing and this comes from the botton of my heart' this is to you fake poseur YOU NEED THE PURE SH-T SALP OUT OF YOU FOR THAT COMENT YOU MADE ABOUT BABY'S SOULDN'T ----- YOU ARE THE PEOPLE THAT NEEDS A FAST TRAIN BACK FROM WERE EVER THE F--K YOUR FROM.
Fake Poseur

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

No, I want you to believe that anyone inattentive enough to be hit by a train lacks the intelligence to survive all the dangers of this world.

The rest of the family should be tested for stupidity as well. I suggest moving them next to the tracks and let 'em demonstrate how not to be hit by a passing train. I doubt they'd last two weeks.
Angie wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez...Grow up. I guess you expect all of us to belive that you stop COMPLETELY, look and listen.... I think not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Princeton Discussions

Search the Princeton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 11 min Red Square 56,261
Kimberly Bailey Ward (Feb '11) Jul 8 Friend of the family 2
Kimberly Bailey Ward (Mar '11) Jul 8 Friend of the family 3
Michael Deep Jun '14 Mel 1
Selma Apr '14 Lake Tech 1
Reverend Calls State Republican Leaders 'Racist... (Jan '14) Mar '14 who dat 27
desperados gang is pathetic (Mar '11) Mar '14 Streetrunner 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Princeton Jobs

•••