caldwell county animal shelter
Nona

Princeton, KY

#83 Nov 27, 2012
The fact that Tommy Pettit was hired is no rumor and the fact that he is lazy is also no rumor. He was fired from the State Road Dept. He was fired from another job because he wouldn't sweep the floor and the list goes on. As far as the rest it may be rumored, but probably true since it came from several different people and not Abby supporters. Myself, I am not an Abby supporter as such, but I do think they could have handled the letting go a different way. I do live in Caldwell County and I hate to see it bled dry

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84 Nov 27, 2012
I have always heard that when you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is stop digging. The fiscal court, for whatever reason, got rid of Abby and her mother, who reportedly worked long hours--Patsy with no pay. I don't know what the atmosphere is like now at the shelter, but I do know that I started to volunteer at a soup kitchen and didn't go back after the first day because I got a cold shoulder. How are volunteers being treated now? Would people who are vocal Abby supporters be welcomed? Does anyone have any experience or information on this subject?

Obviously Abby has a lot of friends, and I suspect a number of the volunteers gave their time at least in part because of the camaraderie they has with people at the shelter. Has the fiscal court hired a replacement with organizational skills, supervisory experience? What specifically about Tommy Pettit made him a good choice for the job?

I don't know Mr. Pettit, but if he is the sort of person who is disinclined to sweep a floor, I can't see him getting enthusiastic about cleaning litter boxes. Surely the fiscal court hasn't shot itself in the foot yet again by putting someone in the job on the basis of cronyism. Will they never learn?

Somebody needs to take away their shovels if they can't do any better than that.
Neuter You

Dunmor, KY

#85 Nov 27, 2012
What made Tommy Pettit a good choice? He goes to church with our lazy judge.
lets see

Oak Grove, KY

#86 Nov 27, 2012
South Side with the upper crust

Location hidden

#87 Nov 27, 2012
I heard about a road department problem one time. The supervisor took his crew out to the area to work on and realized they hadn't brought shovels. He called to foreman, who said he would be right there with the shovels and to tell the men to lean on each other until he got there.
Nona

Princeton, KY

#88 Nov 27, 2012
Heard that Tommy needed surgery on his back so Brock hired him so he would have insurance to have the surgery done on the county's insurance. Now we get to pay for his assistant and his surgery. Sure hope no one else has a problem that Brock can fix.
TeHe

Princeton, KY

#89 Nov 27, 2012
I think if the state finds out about not cleaning the pens or the misuse of the grant money, they might frown on Brock and Tommy both.
Neuter You

Dunmor, KY

#90 Nov 27, 2012
Nona wrote:
Heard that Tommy needed surgery on his back so Brock hired him so he would have insurance to have the surgery done on the county's insurance. Now we get to pay for his assistant and his surgery. Sure hope no one else has a problem that Brock can fix.
Doesnt surprise me at all. Brock is incompetent
amused

Utica, KY

#91 Nov 27, 2012
I want to know what credentials tommy has? Does he have a vet tech license? A business degree in management? Why in the hell would we hire someone who doesn't have either when there are plenty of unemployed people who do? Kill em all and close shop.
animals 1st

United States

#92 Nov 27, 2012
The state hasnt frowned on the conditions at the shelter before such as, building leaks, animals standing in water, no heat, bad electricity wiring and the list goes on...not much of a shelter or rescue.
amused

Utica, KY

#93 Nov 27, 2012
Who cares about the state? I want to know why Tommy was considered a qualified person. The building is going to be short lived anyway. Haven't you heard there will be a new one moron?
TeHe

Princeton, KY

#94 Nov 28, 2012
They will lose their grant money if they build a holding facility instead of a shelter. The grant money has to be used for what it was given. Brock thinks because he won the right to fire Abby he is above the law now and can do anything he darn well pleases while CC pays. As far as qualifications for Tommy, don't know of any he has. He has worked all over the county doing menial jobs and gotten fired from most of them. His own brother told them not to hire him. Again, CC loses!

Location hidden

#95 Nov 28, 2012
I don't believe most health insurance covers preexisting conditions--it might for something chronic like diabetes but I doubt it would pay for an acute condition calling for back surgery. Does anyone have information different from that?

Also, TeHe, if we lose the grant money and have built the building, would the county have to repay the money received?

We've already seen where the contract for ground-breaking went. Even with all of the attention being paid to this whole situation, they still seem to have no qualms about lining their family's pockets from the get-go. I wonder what's next.
TeHe

Princeton, KY

#97 Nov 28, 2012
It is my understanding if they don't build it according to plans, the money will have to be returned. If the insurance won't cover the back surgery because it is a pre-existing condition that make hiring him a total disaster. Not only do we have a lazy so and so that won't do the work, we have a judge exec that doesn't even know which end is up. It is almost a given tho, Brock won't be cleaning cages.
amused

Utica, KY

#98 Nov 28, 2012
Obamacare eliminates preexisting conditions on new insurance contracts. It makes no since due to back surgery requiring 4 to 12 months or more recovery. Wth did he hire, an empty seat? If he has a back issue he shouldn't have been able to meet the physical qualifications of the job. That again shows incompetence in proper hiring procedures. Get it together folks.
TeHe

Princeton, KY

#99 Nov 29, 2012
I don't think they cared if he could meet the qualifications or not, he went to the right church. I doubt they even looked at other applications. We need a thorough cleaning at the courthouse, but Tommy won't push a broom so he isn't the answer. Caldwell County citizens need to unite and stop some of this foolishness. The old adage of "I knew your mother" kind of mentality is ruining us.
Claimet

Chicago, IL

#100 Nov 29, 2012
Everyone is going to have an opinion. And its just that. Nothing has been proven yet.......positive or negative....so damn give it a rest. Its politics people. Its a reason for everyone to just bi@@@. One way or another everyone has an opinion whether good or bad. Try some positive energy for a change. U speak of the church and who goes where......it doesnt matter where u go to church for gods sake. Shame on all of u who use that excuse. Use ur own practicing christianity and follow the rules in the big book.....though shzll not judge.
Claimet

Chicago, IL

#101 Nov 29, 2012
And for everyone who says tommy or brock or anyone else isnt the answer....then step up to the plate man and see how much u can accomplish in their position without everyone finding one reason or another as to why u are doing a crappy job.
Gene

Dover, TN

#102 Nov 29, 2012
Claimet wrote:
And for everyone who says tommy or brock or anyone else isnt the answer....then step up to the plate man and see how much u can accomplish in their position without everyone finding one reason or another as to why u are doing a crappy job.
Neither Tommy nor Brock is the answer, because both are too stupid. Anyone else could have accomplished a successful hire for the animal shelter by explaining that a part of the job duties would be supervising inmates from WKCC who cost the county virtually nothing. Instead, Tommy refuses to take the required training to supervise the inmates. Brock Thomas is in so far over his head that it will take the county twenty years to recover from his ineptitude. If he would spend half the time managing the county that he spends on Facebook and talking about the love from his church family, Caldwell County would be much, much better off. He's a boy trying to do a man's job.

Location hidden

#103 Nov 29, 2012
Claimet wrote:
Everyone is going to have an opinion. And its just that. Nothing has been proven yet.......positive or negative....so damn give it a rest. Its politics people. Its a reason for everyone to just bi@@@. One way or another everyone has an opinion whether good or bad. Try some positive energy for a change. U speak of the church and who goes where......it doesnt matter where u go to church for gods sake. Shame on all of u who use that excuse. Use ur own practicing christianity and follow the rules in the big book.....though shzll not judge.
Thank you for jumping in here and telling all of us how wrong we are for having an opinion. Would you consider what you wrote to be stating YOUR opinion? You seem to put yourself forward as a Christian, yet you use the Lord's name in vain. Why is that?

I do agree with you, though, that this is politics. The sad thing for the animals who need rescue and care is that politics won't clean cages or litter boxes. What they need is someone responsible who will take the job seriously, get necessary training, work hard as an example to other employees and especially volunteers, and have a pleasant personality that will draw in volunteers and treat them well so that they will continue to volunteer. Supervisory experience would be good, a love of animals, knowledge of basic first-aid procedures at least. I don't know Mr. Pettit, so I have no way of judging whether he fills all or any of those requirements. And I am sure there are many other requirements I haven't even thought of.

What I suspect happened here is that he was not hired only because of his choice of church but also because of who he is. It's called either nepotism (if he is related to the person who hired him) or cronyism if he was hired only because of who he is. That might work in some jobs and apparently has worked in the past in Caldwell County. The problem, as I see it, is that this is a tough job to do, and not everyone would be able or willing to do the job.

If the CJE has hired someone with no qualifications or even a reasonably strong work ethic, as some have suggested, then I am afraid there will be no animal shelter in a short time, and we county residents will be paying back the grant for the building through higher taxes. Some jobs can be filled by just about any warm body, but it doesn't seem like a good idea to hire a lifeguard who doesn't know how to swim. I hope that isn't what has happened here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Princeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Harper (Jun '12) 1 hr Chb 7
Rodney faughn 1 hr Lkl 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 3 hr Evil am I 636
Why are blacks so lazy 4 hr Buzz Brain 13
Most well endowed in town 8 hr Emily 28
Jerome "ManMan" Brown Sun Been there 19
Encore of Princeton (Mar '11) Sun JAR 22

Princeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Princeton Mortgages