Emergency Water Restrictions in areas that rely on Lake Chesdin; le...

Full story: WTVR

Lake Chesdin has never been this low. That's why emergency water restrictions are now in place in all areas that rely on the Appomattox River Water Authority.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

These restrictions don't sound dire to the average homeowner. This sort of thing should've happened 30 inches ago.
It is so

Mount Vernon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

When I was a child, I never remember people having to water their lawn every day. What has changed?
Kelly

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

Judged:

how is flagstop car washes still operating when we are now in an emergency water restriction phase. i drove by there this morning and looks as regular business is taking place. each car they wash is more than a couple of glasses of water that we may need later i think the owner of that business should be investigated, and face stiffer fines and punishment if he is not doing what is needed to conserve water that we may desperatly need. i also saw several people watering there lawns, let your grass die people you can always regrow it. i feel people are not taking this problem serious enough. I hope the rain in the forecast can at least put some of the water back in the lake that these people have wasted.
tom201

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

Judged:

The lake wasn't built for the pleasure of those who live around it. Stop complaining. It was built to supply water to the surrounding counties. Some years are dry, some aren't. Most of the problems are a result of poor planning by these counties, assuming there will always be enough resources...
Mike

Powhatan, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

Judged:

Kelly wrote:
how is flagstop car washes still operating when we are now in an emergency water restriction phase. i drove by there this morning and looks as regular business is taking place. each car they wash is more than a couple of glasses of water that we may need later i think the owner of that business should be investigated, and face stiffer fines and punishment if he is not doing what is needed to conserve water that we may desperatly need. i also saw several people watering there lawns, let your grass die people you can always regrow it. i feel people are not taking this problem serious enough. I hope the rain in the forecast can at least put some of the water back in the lake that these people have wasted.
The restrictions don't apply to business who's essential business function requires water use. Read the article!!!! He is trying to make money and feed his family. Big difference between that and keeping one's lawn pretty.
udonodon

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

Judged:

Maybe we need to take a look at development - we keep adding homes and we don't have additional water resources. You can say that a drought this sever is rare, but how rare will it be with another 50,000 lawns....
Kelly

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

Judged:

Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
The restrictions don't apply to business who's essential business function requires water use. Read the article!!!! He is trying to make money and feed his family. Big difference between that and keeping one's lawn pretty.
Your right, He is trying to make money and keep his business open and put bread on the table and that's fine. if we are to keep the car washes open that will still use a good amount of water. I feel they should at least make sure that the car washes are conserving as much water as possible.
John Tillley

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2010

Judged:

@Wayne Covil - You only told this story from the point of view of Chris Dawson. The question is what could have been done beginning months ago to mitigate the effects of this? Why were there NO WATER RESTRICTIONS during this summer as the level steadily dropped? Also, usage of water by county residents is only part of the water level equation. Water continues to be released from the damn to downstream. Why? And at what rate?

Chris Dawson came into this position ~4 years ago. Many are questioning his competence. Prior to Dawson Dee Hartmann was in his position. He was an extremely competent steward of the lake balancing the environmental aspect with the water supply. Mr. Dawson puts in voluntary restrictions just a few weeks ago, follows that with "mandatory" only a few weeks later and only one week after that decides that the situation is an "emergency". Sounds like "ass covering" a bit doesn't it.

Mr. Covil, it sounds like you need to get the real story, not just Mr. Dawson's self serving version. I look forward to some more thorough reporting on this complex issue.(jrtille@yahoo.com)
John Tillley

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2010

Judged:

tom201 wrote:
The lake wasn't built for the pleasure of those who live around it. Stop complaining. It was built to supply water to the surrounding counties. Some years are dry, some aren't. Most of the problems are a result of poor planning by these counties, assuming there will always be enough resources...
Simple. The Appamatox River is first of all a key part of our environment and that of the many flora, flauna and critters such as the Bald Eagle. Secondly it is a water reservoir. What you leave out is that those who live there pay taxes at a rate of 8-10 times what anyone else in Chesterfield County does for the same 2 acre lot. Think about that.
whitedevil

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2010

Judged:

Kelly wrote:
how is it your so down on carwashs?had a bad experience there?enforce commercial water use.why is it always falling on homeowners when business is the most water wasters.these bums could slow thier water consumption instead of pointing fingers everywhere else.which should be a punishable offense itself.
Abby

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Mandatory/Emergency restrictions are a great idea. However, they do need to be enforced. These restrictions should have been in place all along. If we do have a considerable amount of rain, I hope the county has enough sense to still leave restrictions in place.
Elroy

Colonial Heights, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

Abby wrote:
Mandatory/Emergency restrictions are a great idea. However, they do need to be enforced. These restrictions should have been in place all along. If we do have a considerable amount of rain, I hope the county has enough sense to still leave restrictions in place.
we have immigration laws our government does'nt follow.who needs laws or restrictions if they are'nt enforced?hows that ID check at elections coming?how about citys that ignor federal law?how can openly illegal protesters walk the street?Are the laws for all or a selective few.Gov ernment needs to figure that one out before they have the gaul to put more restrictions on the public.
Abby

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

Elroy wrote:
<quoted text>we have immigration laws our government does'nt follow.who needs laws or restrictions if they are'nt enforced?hows that ID check at elections coming?how about citys that ignor federal law?how can openly illegal protesters walk the street?Are the laws for all or a selective few.Gov ernment needs to figure that one out before they have the gaul to put more restrictions on the public.
You're right, Elroy. We continually make thousands of new laws each year, yet can't even enforce what's on the books. We really are a DUMB nation and obviously getting dumber with each year. Very sad.
udonodon

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

John Tillley wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple. The Appamatox River is first of all a key part of our environment and that of the many flora, flauna and critters such as the Bald Eagle. Secondly it is a water reservoir. What you leave out is that those who live there pay taxes at a rate of 8-10 times what anyone else in Chesterfield County does for the same 2 acre lot. Think about that.
I really doubt that the pay 8 to 10 times more in taxes, unless their homes are appraised at 8 to 10 times the value of comparable homes. In that case, they CHOSE to pay higher taxes...
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

Abby wrote:
<quoted text> You're right, Elroy. We continually make thousands of new laws each year, yet can't even enforce what's on the books. We really are a DUMB nation and obviously getting dumber with each year. Very sad.
most of the laws that are passed are put forth by teabaggers for they are a controlling nuisance in the land.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

Elroy wrote:
<quoted text>we have immigration laws our government does'nt follow.who needs laws or restrictions if they are'nt enforced?hows that ID check at elections coming?how about citys that ignor federal law?how can openly illegal protesters walk the street?Are the laws for all or a selective few.Gov ernment needs to figure that one out before they have the gaul to put more restrictions on the public.
obey the laws and just shut up about it.
roflay

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
obey the laws and just shut up about it.
You one of them teabaggers boy? You sound like you're on of them teabaggers.
roflay

Decatur, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
most of the laws that are passed are put forth by teabaggers for they are a controlling nuisance in the land.
Yea, you're one of them teabaggers alright.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

roflay wrote:
<quoted text> You one of them teabaggers boy? You sound like you're on of them teabaggers.
what of it.........just obey.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

roflay wrote:
<quoted text> Yea, you're one of them teabaggers alright.
what of it.......just obey.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Prince George Discussions

Search the Prince George Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kenny Amos not licensed or insured - Poor workm... 2 hr pathetic 2
Why is Buddy Mitchell not a liar anymore??? 5 hr Question 1
Kenny Amos not licensed or insured / poor workm... 13 hr Buddy Mitchell 4
What happened to VN Vet? Miss the comments. 13 hr Buddy Mitchell 1
Kenny Amos not licensed or insured / Poor workm... Thu Buddy Mitchell 1
Calico female Wed Lena 6
Yolanda Stokes is a Whack Job! (Apr '10) Jul 20 pathetic 36
•••
•••