NiceArticle

Springfield, VA

#21 May 2, 2012
There was a nice article in the Hopewell news about this Buren land purchase. It is funny that Reid Foster would be in support of this purchase. After all, he is on the fire department with Buren and his brother works for Buren. The only thing that would make this funnier is if the county narrowed the money from BSV to purchase the land, which is where Buren works.
24fan4life

Springfield, VA

#22 May 2, 2012
I read the news. Shrink swell soil? What are they thinking. They buy land that would cost to much to use and now they want to buy shrink swell soil? What are they thinking? Why did they buy the land on 156 if they were not going to use it? Now to buy land that they can't build on? I guess if they want to keep buying land we should change the name of the county from Prince George to Century 21 County. Did know the county government was also a real estate company. News flash for ya! Let's put that money towards the kids education and balance the school budget first!
Amazed in PG

Richmond, VA

#23 May 2, 2012
Just got back from the joint meeting about the 1.8 million shortfall and never have I seen such an embarrassing scene. Mr. Parker and Robertson are a couple of stale old men who obviously do not give a crap about the schools or the employees of the school district. Some of the things said were just downright stupid(Parker) and the rest was downright ignorant(Robertson). Mr. Roberetson, if you need to be so arrogant as to have the young lady sitting next to Dr. Browder to explain to you that they can only spend what "you" give them, you probably need to resign. Yes, you got your point across that you are a pompous arrogant jerk and I guess you think you are in charge, but you also came out of that room looking like a total jerk. I do not work for the school district but have kids who attend, I can tell you though that I hope I can find another city to reside in, because I do want that good education for my children, and I am thinking it is not going to happen here in PG anymore.......
just sad

United States

#24 May 3, 2012
The joint board meeting last night was truly sad. I can not believe the indifference that was shown by the board of supervisors. Parker didn't care if they laidoff teachers and said to save money they should turn off the ac in the schools and make the students buy their text books. Then they accuse the school board of not being a good steward of money. That is laughable! Last I checked, the school board turned in $4.2 million in the last four years. They are not the ones running around buying land that nobody wants! They are trying to save jobs! It is clear that none of the board of supervisors supports the schools.
just sad

United States

#25 May 3, 2012
Is Robertson an arrogant jerk? Just ask a police officer what they think if him. Wasn't he let go as chief?
Upset Parent

United States

#26 May 3, 2012
As a parent, I am appalled at the Board of Supervisors decision not to give the school the money needed to balance the budget. So, a ball field is more important than the children education? A chunk of land is worth more than keeping good employees? I know understand why people are leaving the county for Chesterfield.
Amazed in PG

Prince George, VA

#27 May 3, 2012
I was in such a rush lastnight to write what I thought about the board meeting I had one more thing to say that I forgot to say. SHAME on both boards for having at least 2 weeks prior to this joint meeting to get together and come to this meeting prepared with at least a few possible solutions, frankly last night was just a show to get the teachers in there and have them clap whenever the School Board said something. Put plitics aside and get a solution to the problem, instead of zinging each other back and forth put your heads together and solve the problem, that is why you were all elected, or have you forgotten that?? Mr. Parker and Robertson, you probably need to stay at the Old Folks home eating your jello and let the rest of them solve this because your solution is just to fire enough teachers until you hit the $1.8 or I guess in Mr. Parkers mind, turn the A/C off in the schools to save a few dollars......
Really Sad

Cambridge, MA

#28 May 3, 2012
How unfortunate that Mr. Parker and Mr. Robertson have yet to learn that the Feudal system was discontinued.....long ago. You're not Feudal Lords, you're public servants... Protocol suggests you should act accordingly. Treat your voters with the respect they deserve. These two dinosaurs need to go! Henry, you're as outdated as your leisure suit. Free textbooks and air conditioning are here to stay. Mr. Robertson, arrogance is simply bad form, be a gentleman or just stay home.
Support The Teachers

United States

#29 May 3, 2012
Support the teachers and attend the next board of supervisor meeting. Let them know we need to keep the top quality education in our county!
Nice Article

Manassas, VA

#30 May 4, 2012
Yet another nice article in the Progress Index today. According to the article, Parker plan was to just adopt whatever budget and run the schools till the money runs out. That is the stupidest thing I ever heard in my life! And, as the county attorney pointed out, ILLEGAL! Then when the heat was on, he wanted the two boards to meet behind closed doors. That sounds shady as hell. What ever happened to transparency in government?
Great

Manassas, VA

#31 May 4, 2012
Time to move to Chesterfield! The grass is greener!
Amazed in PG

Prince George, VA

#32 May 4, 2012
I was there "Nice Article", it is true, Parker told them to just continue on until they run out of money and then come back and ask for more, what the hell??? Parker, Robertson need to hang it up, they are so out of touch with reality, it is almost embarrassing(actually it is). And personally, Skalsky and his silence also spoke volumes, he said nothing which means he just let Parker and Robertson do his dirty work for him, I would not ever vote for any of those 3 old, stale "Gents"......Hopeful ly everybody finds out what is going on and puts pressure on them to make this right and give the Schools what they need to continue educating our children, the children of PG.
Begsthequestion

Manassas, VA

#33 May 4, 2012
I read the article in the Progress Index. It stated that money was given back to the county by the school board during previous years. The board of supervisors stated that money that was turned in is "gone". My questions are, who spent that money, and what was it spent on? So just to clarify this point, the school turns in unused money in previous budgets and now it is "gone". I doubt someone took the money so the only other conclusion is that the board of supervisors spent the money. What did they spend it on? Also, isn't there more money in the rainy day fund than that which is needed? I do believe the county own bond rep stated there was more than enough money in this fund. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Really Sad

Cambridge, MA

#34 May 4, 2012
"To argue with a man (or in this case Parker or Robertson) who has given up reason is as effective as administering medicine to the dead." I borrowed this from Thomas Paine -- did he know these two?
isittrue

United States

#35 May 5, 2012
Is it true that they are going to close an elementary school cause of not having enough money in the budget? Am I the only one upset by this? Now they want to buy shrink swell soil that you can't build in! Check the map on the county website. It shows shrink swell soil on 90% of the land!
OMG

Reston, VA

#36 May 23, 2012
They purchased the land anyway! So much for listening to the citizens. In a previously published article, Carmichael was quoted as saying that he needed to reevaluate this because it appears that the majority of the citizens didn't want it. He also stated that when he wanted to do what the people wanted. What happened? Typical politicians! I guess what we need is to replace board members that don't listen to the citizens!
Novel Idea

Reston, VA

#37 May 23, 2012
What we need is three new Board Members! Robertson and Gandel can stay! According to the county facebook post it appears Mauger and Williams would be two good candidates. Now to locate a third. Those three need to go! We need fresh faces in the board.
Amazed in PG

Prince George, VA

#38 May 23, 2012
Novel Idea, I agree with you but I believe it is more like 4 new members, after the performance Robertson gave at the first joint meeting of the BOS and the School Board, he needs to be sent packing also. His basic suggestion was to take the money the BOS "graciously" gave the school board and be happy we got that, in other words, being a typical jerk.
I cannot even comment on the land purchase, if they are stupid enough to buy $500,000 worth of appraised land for $1.5 million, then I got some good Ocean front property over here in PG where I live.
OMG said it right, if the majority of the citizens(ie;the voters) dont want it, why would you vote for it.......
Time For Change

Dumfries, VA

#39 Aug 22, 2013
We need board members that will stop wasting the taxpayers money!$400, 000 for a road and one field? That is crazy! Hey Carmichael, where's your survey? You were quick to attack someone else's survey, where is yours? I can think of three board members that need to be replaced. Stop wasting our money!!
King of Grundy

Kingsport, TN

#40 Aug 22, 2013
Ho hO HO!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prince George Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Searching for "Anchors Away" 8 hr Flabbergasted 11
Hopewell School Superintendent has idea to deve... 12 hr Silent Echo 47
City Attorney Resigns (Nov '14) Thu ralph 8
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) May 15 the Ace of Spades 52
Review: Techno Labs May 15 Jay 1
Ashley Madison May 14 emayares84 1
16th street May 10 Citizen fed up 4
More from around the web

Prince George People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]