Hopewell 'million dollar highway' under investigation

Apr 3, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC12

HOPEWELL, VA - Are speeding tickets being written as matter of public safety or to generate revenue? It's a question being put to deputies in Hopewell.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Shut it Down

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Public safety? Speeding yes, but not the revenue. This is a gross injustice and misapproation of money. City council is extorting this money. If the funds are being used for public safety then why isn't the Hopewell Police Department reaping the rewards of this money? Instead this money is funding the rehab of the marina, the Beacon, and the Downtown.

Hopewell's crime rate is off the charts and we need more oFficers. Hopewell is a springboard for new cops. Train here, leave after a year or two and get paid better in other cities. Invest in public safety instead of lying about it.

Daley should be fired. His inability to guide council to vote on positive things and business deals has runied this city. The $2 million dollars is a cover up for HIS inability to bring business to Hopewell and make up for his ethanol screw up. He has ruined Hopewell. Businesses are leaving Hopewell on a daily basis. If a new one comes its not long before they leave.

City council is spending the revenue from this speed trap like liquid gold. Maybe its time to fire them too. Pelham, Walton and Stokes bye-bye. November is right around the corner, we don't want you back.
smh

New Freedom, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Agreed. U don't c other jurisdictions camped out on the highway to make money cuz they r concerned about safety within their city. We have state troopers for a reason. N it seems fishy that Hopewell has all new patrol cars. Other cities still seem to think that the old cars r sufficient for now and the money could b used for sumthin better. Like more police. I mean one charger costs more than a years salary for an officer. N maybe Hopewell could hire sum un crooked cops
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Hey guys, here is a thought... DON'T SPEED AND YOU WON'T GET A TICKET!! If you get pulled you're evidently going way to fast which in turn is a danger to YOURSELF and OTHERS! Never in my life have I seen so many people mad that this is generating revenue for the City, Lord knows Hopewell needs all it can get! Hopewell PD tickets generate money for the state, let them do what they do. If you didn't understand, a Judge upheld the program the other day. Funny how The Hopewell CA wanted to move the funds to state funds to give himself and his people a pay raise. That is DIRECTLY taking money from the citizens to benefit their own pockets. They only pull you if you are going 81+... OBEY THE LAW AND YOU WON'T GET TICKETED! Simple as that!
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Oh, and to clarify, Hopewell Sheriff's Office and Hopewell Police Department are two COMPLETELY different departments. So the "crooked cops" need to be hired by the HOPEWELL PD!
Same Ol Same Ol

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

These people are breaking the Law by Speeding. Sheriff Anderson pointed out that 81 MPH is Reckless and a Class 1 Misdemeanor. Well Sheriff Anderson, Why do your Deputies write the tickets for Reckless By Speed and NOT Reckless Driving? Oh that's right Reckless by Speed is an Infraction not a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Writing someone for Reckless by Speed (Infraction) means they can pre pay the ticket and not have to come to court. Writing someone for Reckless Driving (Class 1 Misdemeanor) means they MUST come to court for trial.

I will give it to you, nice play on words to the Media which does not know better.

To HUH, yes a Judge upheld this program. The very same Judge that encouraged the Sheriff to start this program. Is that a conflict of interest. You be the Judge. Just look at the minutes from City Council when the Sheriff proposed the I-295 project. He stated that Judge Nye asked him to do it. Yes, the very same Judge Nye that upheld the program.

Yet people wonder why this I-295 project is scrutinized. Clearly the whole thing is about Revenue First Public Safety second.
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Regardless, they are breaking laws whichever way you put it, correct? I'm sure Newman will appeal the program to Circuit Court for most wasting of the tax payers money and time instead of actually prosecuting real criminals.

Point blank, you speed you get a ticket, you obey the laws, you don't... why is that so hard to understand for people?
Same Ol Same Ol

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2012

Judged:

Huh wrote:
Regardless, they are breaking laws whichever way you put it, correct? I'm sure Newman will appeal the program to Circuit Court for most wasting of the tax payers money and time instead of actually prosecuting real criminals.
Point blank, you speed you get a ticket, you obey the laws, you don't... why is that so hard to understand for people?
Yes they are breaking the Law as you said. My point was the the Sheriff made the statement that it was a class 1 misdemeanor, which is true, and neglected to say that they are written for reckless by speed. I just pointed out the fact that they are NOT charging them with a class 1 Misdemeanor.

The State receives no money for these Tickets, all the Tickets are written under City Code, therefore the City receives all the money.

Just pointing out that it is all about money. Not saying it is wrong, just it is about money. The City Attorney said so himself. He said that if Newman wins his case that it will effectively end the I-295 project. He said if the money starts going to the State the City will not be able to afford to continue the Project. Hmmmm what happened to Public Safety???

It is all about the money. The City Attorney also said that with out the revenue from the I-295 project the City would have to raise Taxes. So you see it is all about the money. The City is getting it Newman wants a piece of it, since his Office is involved with the appeals of the tickets.

This Story goes directly to the "Politics" of Hopewell. Where else could you see a Judge preside in favor of a program the he himself basically started. Yet you see no issue there. Yep they are speeders so get them, does not matter that it is about money and has nothing to do with Public Safety.

See how quick this so called Public Safety program stops if/when the tickets drop or if/when Newman wins his appeal and the City stops getting the money.

money

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

The only reason Newman is doing this is for money - definitely not for public safety - so what's the difference? At least with the sheriff running radar on 295 you have crime prevention and suppression but what if Newman was successful then it would be free reign on 295 for speeders, drug dealers, etc. Sounds like Newman just doesn't want to do his job anymore and its at the expense of Hopewell citizens. So he wants to screw over the city for denying him funds? What a big immature baby! The citizens should be outraged by his behavior. He has known about the 295 program since before he came into office and just NOW has a problem with it? His true colors are shining through!
CAs office

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Has anyone bothered to ask the CA how much his assistants are paid? Apparently the city, during previous administrations has supplemented their salaries, giving them a competitive wage. The city has refused to do this for Newman causing a big turn over in the CA's office. Do we want to successfully prosecute the criminals that are brought before the court? It takes talent to do that. Your not going to get that by paying them substandard wages.

He only wants for his employees what was given to the prior CA.
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

CA's Office. Who cares! We are in an economic crisis, millions of people have gone years without raises. Companies and the government are laying people off, and your crying about more money to serve a community that has seen several businesses close its door. Who cares, at least your so called talent has a job! I'm sure you and your staff are compensated just fine with the salary and benefits.
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

CA's Office. Oh, by the way, wouldn't unsubsudized pay be a standard wage?
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

CA's Office. I'm sorry, I answered my own question. Your pay is fair. I do believe the salaries are established by the State Compensation Board. They take in account the amount of work performed and the population of the community that is served to establish this. Seems that the "standard" pay is fair. I'm sure everyone would love to have a raise these days, but at the tax payers expense? Really? I hope the city council doesn't budge on this, especially after this little drama show you had in court. Personally it sounded like a bully tactic used by someone who couldn't get his was. The city attorney did a good job spanking that butt in court.
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

CA's Office. It appears to me that the "talent" you reffered to is with Lacheney. Isn't he the one that beat you in court? You want more money for "talent", but you didn't have the "talent" to win more money? Pretty funny stuff.
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

CA's Office. One last thing, you asked the following question, "Do we want to successful prosecute the criminals that are brought before the court?" Well, were you able to "successfully" amend the tickets? It would appear that you would've had a vested interest in winning that one. How did it turn out for you?
whataboutmyright s

Moneta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

I was speed profiled while driving, just because i drive a fast looking car, they pointed the radar gun directly at me!
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

who cares wrote:
CA's Office. I'm sorry, I answered my own question. Your pay is fair. I do believe the salaries are established by the State Compensation Board. They take in account the amount of work performed and the population of the community that is served to establish this. Seems that the "standard" pay is fair. I'm sure everyone would love to have a raise these days, but at the tax payers expense? Really? I hope the city council doesn't budge on this, especially after this little drama show you had in court. Personally it sounded like a bully tactic used by someone who couldn't get his was. The city attorney did a good job spanking that butt in court.
Who Cares,

As you have so eloquently pointed out the CA's Office salary is established by the Compensation Board, well so is the Sheriff's and his Deputy's. The City sees fit to "Compensate" the Sheriff's Office employees. How does that fit in to your "Tuff Economic Times"?

The States Compensation Board sets salaries of the Sheriff's Office based upon work load and population just as they do for the CA's Office.

Since we are in these dire economic times then the City should stop compensating the Sheriff's Office. As you so astutely pointed out they are receiving a fair wage for the work performed. Or does this only apply to the CA's Office.

The City only started compensating the Sheriff's Office after Sheriff Anderson was elected. They stopped compensating the CA's Office after Newman was elected.
I believe the City also compensates the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office.

Let's face it, as long as City Council is agreeable with the person elected to the Office, they will compensate that Office.

Who Cares, I do, and these are dire economic times. The city should cut spending where it can. Maybe they should use your logic and stop compensating all these Constitutional Office's period. As you pointed out they are already receiving a "Fair" compensation as determined by the Compensation Board.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

who cares wrote:
CA's Office. One last thing, you asked the following question, "Do we want to successful prosecute the criminals that are brought before the court?" Well, were you able to "successfully" amend the tickets? It would appear that you would've had a vested interest in winning that one. How did it turn out for you?
Clearly you do not like the CA. I do not know if Mr. Newman is right or wrong. I do know this though. The case you are talking about was argued in front of the Judge that asked the Sheriff to start the I-295 project. Why did Judge Nye not recues himself from the case?

Had Judge Nye ruled in Newman's favor it would have been akin to him admitting that he was wrong for wanting this I-295 project? Whether you like Mr. Newman or not he was fighting an uphill battle. Did Newman lose because the City Attorney was so much better or did he lose because of a Judge that refused to recues himself?
Who Cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

If the Sheriff's Office is supplemented then shame on the city. Also, I do not know Newman, I was merely responding to a post in reference to someone whining about wanting more money. In these tough times, just be thankful to have a job, especially at the taxpayers expense. As to the statement of not liking him, I'm really indifferent.
public safety

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

Judged:

Let them write tickets all they want. We know it's a trap and can go around. Every ticket is keeping my taxes down.
south carolina

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

why is it saying I'm in South Carolina?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Prince George Discussions

Search the Prince George Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 18 hr James 2,541
Judgment 140000280 against Kenneth Amos in amou... Jul 8 lol 19
Newcomer recommendations Jul 7 eenie_chester 1
weed contacts (Aug '13) Jul 4 Sure 4
Son seeking Moore's Lake memorabilia (Oct '06) Jul 3 Dr Betsy B Singh 107
Recycling in Hopewell Jul 2 Mansion Hiller 4
City Manager sucks again! Jul 2 Mansion Hiller 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Prince George Jobs

•••