Lee Martin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2006

Is the remnants of old Aquasco Speedway still around? My dad used to race there in the 60's and was asking about it the other night.
Steve M

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2006

The track is still there and visible in aerial photos from 1993. You can see the photo on terraserver's website.[url]http://terraserve r-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S =11&Z=18&X=877&Y=1 0672&W=3&qs=%7ceagle+h arbor%7cmd%7c[/url]
G_Moore

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2006

Judged:

I grew up in the DC area and am looking for any old flyers or info on Aquasco speedway-contact me at autoteacher2000@yahoo.com, I will say it was a sad day to see Aquasco close in 1979,and many people do not know or remember that the "orignal" Presidents Cup races were actually races for Funny Cars that were held at Aquasco.
Lorie

Dickinson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2007

I worked there in the snack bar during my JR year of high school (1976-77), what a blast! I still have a passion for racing though now I live in texas, I get my fix from Baytown (Houston Raceway Park). I'm glad to hear that it's still thought of, I sure wish I had the $$ to reopen it!
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

Judged:

I remember watching Harry Peapers racing his 39 Chevy in the 60's.It had a six cylinder engine then.He rebuilt it later with v-8 and turned it into street rod and won many awards.He just died within last year in his 80's.He was real gentleman.He raced at Aquasco and all over East Coast.
Phil Castaldo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2007

Judged:

Does anyone remember John Wiggins he ran a A/SP '67 corvette in 1967.Please contact me at Pheonix411@aol.com
derwin cox

Statesboro, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

i attended races there in 1967 with my dad. saw jenkins and sox battle all day long.
derwin cox

Statesboro, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

i don't know why it says rochester, ny. i can't get it off. i reside in statesboro, ga.
JFD512

Plymouth Meeting, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

my best buddy lives on the road going into
the track and has his whole life. We took the
4 wheelers down to the track in 4/07 got pictures of whats left but, for some reason
my memory card cleared out. Ghost of the track maybe. Probably go back down soon and try photos again.
Phil Castaldo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

Hi Iam looking for Harry Campbell ran a 63 corvette, anybody got any leads Thanks Pheonix411@aol.com
COME CORRECT

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

Is the land for sale. I would be real interested in opening the track back up.
Andy Marquis

Waldorf, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Lee Martin wrote:
Is the remnants of old Aquasco Speedway still around? My dad used to race there in the 60's and was asking about it the other night.
Yes. I was planning on heading there this weekend or next weekend.
Andy Marquis

Waldorf, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

COME CORRECT wrote:
Is the land for sale. I would be real interested in opening the track back up.
I don't think so but I'll find out for you.

I wish we had more tracks in SOMD.
SouthernBoy

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

I well remember Aquasco Speedway during the 60's. I raced there a few times in '65 and attended many races between '64 and '67. I was there the night that Tex Randall was killed and the next day when a collection was taken up for his family. I bought a set of mags from him about 7 or 8 months before he died.

I was also there when Jack Chrissman crashed in his Eliminator 1 Comet funny car. I have seen a bunch of famous names run there (Ronnie Sox was who I modeled my own shifting still from - love his Paper Tiger Plymouth). But it was the American supercars of the mid-60's I most liked to see run.

Great track and great times.
ronny samuels

Cedar Key, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Judged:

anybody remember "SAM SAMUELS" 60 Pontiac named PAWNEE nhra record holder, or Joe Perzan, BIG BRUISER pontiac wagon, or Gene Calhoun The Arapaho 60 pontiac. I grew up at that drag strip. have fond memories of 13-15 yrs there also Capitol Raceway where Sat . nite was the best. have some old B/W pics of both lot of guys cut their teeth on racing there.
charli cornwell

Gainesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

ronny samuels wrote:
anybody remember "SAM SAMUELS" 60 Pontiac named PAWNEE nhra record holder, or Joe Perzan, BIG BRUISER pontiac wagon, or Gene Calhoun The Arapaho 60 pontiac. I grew up at that drag strip. have fond memories of 13-15 yrs there also Capitol Raceway where Sat . nite was the best. have some old B/W pics of both lot of guys cut their teeth on racing there.
yeah gene calhoun,gene altizer and all the big names were at old dominion speedways 50thanniversary last summer. the whole ss team and cars,ronnie sox car,it was a big turn out.my dad ran a daytona blue 64 corvette in 64 and 65 at aquasco,he still talks about sox and martin and a popular 39 chevy at the time. cool stuff.
karen

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

hi my name is karen im tru=ying to find out some info abou my familynthat lived in aquasoc md the names would be douglass or rodgers if you have any info can you email me at kltbabygirl@yahoo.com thanks in advance
Andy Hill

Johnstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

ronny samuels wrote:
I too grew up at Aquasco. My Dad used to classify cars there from late fifties to about 1968. Spent my time in the timing tower with announcer Jack(JAck approved)Redd. My Dad's club Strokers of Md. used to help run the track setting up timing lights etc.
Phil Castaldo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

Andy Hill wrote:
<quoted text> I too grew up at Aquasco. My Dad used to classify cars there from late fifties to about 1968. Spent my time in the timing tower with announcer Jack(JAck approved)Redd. My Dad's club Strokers of Md. used to help run the track setting up timing lights etc.
Hi Andy is your dad still with us, would love to talk to him, do you remember Joel Thomas he was an announceral also. Thanks Phil Email Pheonix411@aol.com
Scott Myers

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

My dad went there for many years seen many greats run there sox jungle every one that was any one drag racing back then I was to young to remember he passed away 2 years ago it would be fun to walk back in time and see what he seen all them years ......

Scott..........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of70
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Prince Frederick Discussions

Search the Prince Frederick Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obama: I 'Might Have' Suffered Concussions From... Jun '14 TWZ 1
70 year olds were robbed OMG Apr '14 just wondering 1
MD Who do you support for Governor in Maryland in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 fyi 185
Rev. Erskine B. Moss Mar '14 lynda hare 1
boyles tavern Feb '14 marty 1
natalie parran Feb '14 marty 1
How much value does my car have? (Nov '13) Feb '14 Rameshwari 5
•••
•••