Carl D Perkins Job Corps
Job corps RA

Logan, WV

#22 Apr 8, 2010
#2-“I have first hand knowledge and evidence to back up everything that I have conveyed on this blog. In response to the “thoughtful comment”, many staff including myself attempted but were powerless to fight all of the corruption at Iroquois. We had no avenues open to us including Human Resources, because everyone was in the CDs pocket. Even the corporate office would not stand up to the CD. Our jobs were threatened even by talking to OIG auditors. There have been lawsuits and an organized protest all to no avail.
Yes we are interested in punishing the center management because the ultimate losers in all of this are the students.
Because the center is playing the numbers game, students are pushed through the system without being prepared for the outside world. They are given Mississippi diplomas which are very substandard in this area. A former vocational instructor there who is now in charge of placing students in jobs, stated that he cannot place anyone with a Mississippi diploma. The center is just concerned with numbers not what happens to the students after they leave.
Living conditions are also terrible for the students. The only time the dorms are clean is when the center has visitors.
There was a surprise visit by the corporate office at night in which they inspected the dorms and found the conditions deplorable. They reprimanded the CD and of course she immediately blamed everyone else in an all staff meeting.
I don’t think that the center should be closed, I just think that a change of contractors is definitely necessary.”

“Readers might also want to check out YouTube, just search “Job Corps Fights.” I know that what is there is not reflective on all JC students but still sad.”

Possibly related posts:(automatically generated)

* Kittrell Job Corps improperly manipulated student attendance OIG (2005)
* 60 Students Involved In Small Riot at Gainsville Job Corps Center (2009)
* Westover Job Corps Center Complaints
* Photography Club

42.529820 -71.629473

Filed under: Comments, Employees, Iriquois Job Corps, Job Corps comments, Job Corps documentation, Job Corps Employees
Job corps fraud

Logan, WV

#23 Apr 8, 2010
I never thought that I would say this but I’m glad that Karl Rove and the Cato institute is following the Job Corps Fruad Blog. The stuff that goes on at the Job Corps Centers needs to be exposed. The conclusion that I get when I look at this blog is that the same problems have plagued the Job Corps program throughout the history of the program. This has been going on for more than forty years and nothing has been fixed. The line that the tax payers have been fed about how the program helps youth out of poverty is a bunch of bs and most of the students that I worked with at Job Corps saw right through it. These students often let me know that they were only cash cows for the contractors and the federal government. Job Corps is a failed program and a taxpayer ripoff. I steer young people that I meet to other programs in my community that have a better success rate for them to finish their education and gain skills needed to get out of poverty. All I saw at the Job Corps I worked at was lots of drug use, alcoholism, female students getting pregnant, students in need of mental health, and students dropping out via AWOL. Along with the minor students that their families dumped at Job Corps and used Job Corps as a free boarding school, because raising a teenager was too much of a hassle. Then the parents got mad when their 16 year old daughters ended up pregnant at Job Corps. I’m glad that Karl Rove is reading this and I hope that he can get the media interested in what is going on at Job Corps, because my former students deserve better than being treated like numbers and cash cows.
Job corps fraud

Logan, WV

#24 Apr 8, 2010
What a horrible deal. The PRH clearly states that a student may leave JC anytime they want to. As a two year employee, I had to play that game often and just felt dirty (toxic is a better word) everytime. On more than one occasion I saw staff confiscate luggage that was packed and the student ready to go. On another occasion I convinced a 16 year old who wanted to leave to stay. He was clearly not ready or engaged (walking out of class constantly, being disruptive when in class etc). Several weeks later he and some friends started a fight with a group of other students. In the process, he was injured and eventually needed surgery. I felt horrible, not because of his behavior which he was responsible for, but for my salesmanship when he really was not invested in being successful in JC. On another occasion I was written up for not being convincing enough in my efforts to retain a student who wanted to leave which he eventually did. My thoughts and prayers tonight are with that young man from Perkins and his family for a full and speedy recovery.
Job corps fraud

Logan, WV

#25 Apr 8, 2010
Drugs

Ransom, KY

#26 Apr 29, 2010
people there as well on drugs. Employees need to be screened for sure. I know of a couple for sure.
Who is in charge of this place anyway?
who

Allen, KY

#27 Apr 30, 2010
who is on drugs that work there???
dradzfdfa

Manchester, KY

#28 May 1, 2010
A mothers comment wrote:
.....Apparently a gang of staff cornered my son while he was packing and were trying as best they could to convince him to stay and not leave {YOU KNOW THAT MEANT THEY WERE GOING TO LOSE MONEY.}
Meanwhile, as this was going on, someone from the center called my son’s dad back to say that my son “would not be provided transportation to the bus stop”, which was an hour’s drive away. My son called me and told me what Job Corps said and I told his dad to call them back and to call our son a cab and no matter what it cost we would pay it.
The next thing Job Corps came up with was telling us it would take two weeks process my son out of the program. BULLSHIT. We all know that is not true. After these phone calls went on for about 1 hour my son (I guess he was feeling defeated by these people) called us back and said he would “try to stick it out a little longer”(this was Feb 19th). On Feb 22 my son called me and with the same urgency said “get me out of here”. I told him that it would a couple of days but he would be home by Friday.
I didn’t hear anything back from my son and I discovered that his cell phone was dead so by Thursday his dad and I were trying to figure out what was going on. Neither of us had heard anything from our son.
Friday I received a phone call from the mental hospital asking me if I could identify my son because all they had was a phone number no identification at all.
I have yet to receive a clear answer from anyone about what happened to my son. He is home with me know and diagnosed with paranoia. He has no memory of Job Corps or even that he was ever a student there. This is so frustrating for a parent who didn’t send him to Job Corps to get rid of him but, I thought he would benefit from the program.
I would never recommend this program for anyone’s child and if you know someone who is thinking of joining, tell them this story. I still don’t know what happened and the administration is close-mouthed, even when I showed up to this dump in person to get my son’s things, they still acted like they did right by my son. My child is now forever changed by this situation. If someone could tell me, when is the DOL going to realize this program is about numbers and not our kids?-M
It sounds like you didn't do your job as a mother. You sent him off to this place thinking it was best for him (all the while he was suffering from paranoia and probably schizophrenia) and you didn't see any signs before hand? I mean NOTHING at all tipped you off? It's a really sad situation and I think you are looking for someone to blame. I know the staff nor security condone drug use or any gang affiliation which is why they wear a uniform. Would I recommend a place like this for children who are clearly at risk anyway, absolutely NOT.
NUTS

Logan, WV

#29 May 2, 2010
dradzfdfa wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like you didn't do your job as a mother. You sent him off to this place thinking it was best for him (all the while he was suffering from paranoia and probably schizophrenia) and you didn't see any signs before hand? I mean NOTHING at all tipped you off? It's a really sad situation and I think you are looking for someone to blame. I know the staff nor security condone drug use or any gang affiliation which is why they wear a uniform. Would I recommend a place like this for children who are clearly at risk anyway, absolutely NOT.
NUTS !! What are you talking about ? "AT RISK" is the KEY word for entering J.C..say what you want, but it all about #s#s#s and you know it, are you one of those trying to protect your J O B by making EXCUSES?? That place is horrible and most of the staff, cares for NOTHING except $$$$$$$$..
dradzfdfa

Macon, GA

#30 May 2, 2010
NUTS wrote:
<quoted text>
NUTS !! What are you talking about ? "AT RISK" is the KEY word for entering J.C..say what you want, but it all about #s#s#s and you know it, are you one of those trying to protect your J O B by making EXCUSES?? That place is horrible and most of the staff, cares for NOTHING except $$$$$$$$..
If being "at risk" is the key for entering the program, then it all falls upon the parents to know better than place their child there. Why put them there anyway? Why send them to live among a group of children who are violent, drug users, possibly ex-gang members, etc.? I'm not making excuses. When a child/teen exhibits signs of paranoia and depression it is generally first noticed by the parent, that is, unless they send them off to basically live in a pre-prison environment. Also, I know for a fact they offer counseling to those who attend this program, as well as medical and dental. I see that your location, Holden, WV keeps showing up often. It sounds as if you had a bad experience there and are trying to put the blame on the staff. Everyone always wants to blame someone else. Take responsibility and maybe your son/daughter will learn from you first and foremost.
RU NUTS

Logan, WV

#31 May 2, 2010
I only read this stuff sometimes, when i am bored, and am not the only one posting under that IP. At least I do NOT try to hide like some including you Clay City, I have a funny feeling that you are the one that works there and trying to hide something... I am retired from the RR, but I can tell by many of the posts that the program needs improvement. My wife and I would not have sent our children to any school without first checking it out. Maybe its a good program for some, but I am curious why many of our locals do not go there. I know of some people that did visit and they refused to go back..gotta be something to it. Just my opinion.
dradzfdfa wrote:
<quoted text>
If being "at risk" is the key for entering the program, then it all falls upon the parents to know better than place their child there. Why put them there anyway? Why send them to live among a group of children who are violent, drug users, possibly ex-gang members, etc.? I'm not making excuses. When a child/teen exhibits signs of paranoia and depression it is generally first noticed by the parent, that is, unless they send them off to basically live in a pre-prison environment. Also, I know for a fact they offer counseling to those who attend this program, as well as medical and dental. I see that your location, Holden, WV keeps showing up often. It sounds as if you had a bad experience there and are trying to put the blame on the staff. Everyone always wants to blame someone else. Take responsibility and maybe your son/daughter will learn from you first and foremost.
RU NUTS

Logan, WV

#32 May 2, 2010
dradzfdfa wrote:
<quoted text>
WHY ARE YOU BLAMING THE PARENTS ?? U R the one that sounds paranoid, no locals gives a SH*T anyway.
casey

Logan, WV

#33 May 2, 2010
that place sucks, buncha drug heads, blacks, gang bangers and abusers. i would never send a kid there. they go in the walmarts and steal and every1 in that place knows it. so u r a bad parent if u send ur kid there. that or u just want the kid off ur back.
Fed up

Richmond, KY

#34 May 26, 2010
After reading some of these posts I wonder if paranoia and schizophrenia are traits that can possibly be inherited through genetics.
I hear there are private schools you can send your kids to probably for no more than a couple thousand dollars a month.
I also hear they have a place called a public school system but here’s the draw back you may have to get them out of bed to go, they may have a few kids claim to be gang members, may be a couple potheads, and they probably are going to be rules for your children to follow. I wander how does a student end up going to job Corp with all the flawless parents we have out there cutting down a program that helped so many kids get back on track.Are there problem kids in the program yes, are there problem kids in public school yes, and are there problem individuals in general society yes, which is where the student population comes from.
Every time you read a post someone writes they shoplift at Wal-Mart and yes there may be a few that have done this but there are more locals shoplifting than students. If you don’t believe me call loss prevention at Wal-Mart and ask them how many they catch a day.
FX LEACH

Cardington, OH

#35 May 26, 2010
casey wrote:
that place sucks, buncha drug heads, blacks, gang bangers and abusers. i would never send a kid there. they go in the walmarts and steal and every1 in that place knows it. so u r a bad parent if u send ur kid there. that or u just want the kid off ur back.
So blacks are grouped in with drug heads, gang bangers and abusers. Nice. Hope you havent reproduced yet.
workers

Pikeville, KY

#36 May 26, 2010
Workers with reputation not the students. Check back grounds pleaseeeee
FX LEACH

Cardington, OH

#37 May 26, 2010
It is what it. Most of the kids are inner city kids or kids that cant cut it in high school. Its not rocket science, with those types of kids you are going to have problems. It is a way for them to better themselves, maybe not the way that is traditional and not for everyone. If you are contemplating sending someone here they problally need a kick in the ass to get them on track. Underprivelaged kids from eastern ky are no different than underpriveled kids from Chicago. For whatever reason it was ok not to graduate high school. Its like anything else. What you make of it! And I know my spelling sucks.
otter creek

Pikeville, KY

#38 May 27, 2010
job corps same type of people.
Fed up

Winchester, KY

#39 May 30, 2010
workers wrote:
Workers with reputation not the students. Check back grounds pleaseeeee
Duh, they do background checks on everyone and random drug screens.
lol

Kimper, KY

#40 May 30, 2010
Who does the test and who's pee pee do they use? Test is only as good as the person giving it. To many getting through the drug test.
Underdogs

Kimper, KY

#41 May 30, 2010
The children have nobody and employees know and children know it most of all. Taking advantage of childrem in every way possible and getting payed to do it. Money and more money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prestonsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Just an observer 169,982
Clinton Thomas 6 hr Hodgey 19
kesha jervis walkin in the road in cow creek 6 hr Steps 8
Chris Jervis 9 hr Stut 2
City utilities Commission and current Mayor 16 hr Windering 6
Big night for Prestonsburg Football Sun WTF 25
robert hall (Mar '10) Sun Hello 29

Prestonsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prestonsburg Mortgages