Let Down By Mt. Comp!
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mental Patient

United States

#1 Dec 29, 2011
I started going to Mt. Comp in Prestonsburg cause I have some depression problems. In the almost four months I have been there, I have had three different therapist. I just get used to someone and they either quit or get fired. Then I have to get used to another person. My first therapist was great but he left. The people up front are not friendly and the doctor I saw was an asshole. First thing he asked me was "Who is your lawyer?" I told him I didn't have a lawyer. He said he thought I was there just so I could get disability. I told him I work full time and just needed help with depression. He didn't prescribe anything for that.
Has anyone else had this problem with Mt. Comp or is it just me? If anybody can recommend another place for mental health treatment I would appreciate it.
doc help

United States

#2 Dec 29, 2011
Move out of Prestonburg and you'll cheer up, other wise suck it up. You don't need them.
we are here

Winchester, KY

#3 Dec 29, 2011
Ive have a similar problem. I can understand that the counselors at mt comp and medicaid are fed up with all the people going in just to make some claim about being unable to work because of depression. Most people like that do have a lot of depression but they don't want to change thier lifestyle they only want someone to put a stamp of comfirmation on their disability claim.

There are some people here that honestly need help and would like to make a change in their life.

I can under stand how moving away would help too. I have thought about moving just as soon as possible. I remember the place I used to live and the counselor that I had there. He was wonderful and so was the state that I lived in. Sucking it up isn't much of an answer though. No we don't need the bullshit they are dishing out to us we need to be treated with some dignity.

Moving isn't always a good answer either.

This is my home and I should be able to live here comfortably as well as anywhere else in this country. I shouldn't have to move and live in some strange town that is crime ridden and full of total strangers.

Maybe the real answer is that Mt Comp should be held accountable for their misbehavior.
misb5

United States

#4 Dec 29, 2011
There is a doctor in paintsville that has nothing to do with mountain comp . Her name is Dr. Chua . And I under stand there is a therapist in Prestonsburg . But if you need meds I think you need a Dr.
Hummmm

Martin, KY

#6 Dec 30, 2011
Yep I've seen Dr. Chua and she spends maybe 5 minutes with a patient and is usually eating while she is with you.. If you need a doctor don't go to her..

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#7 Dec 30, 2011
Mountain Comp does this to everyone. It doesn't make sense why they do. But they aren't switching you around because the previous therapist quit or got fired. Its sad this is the only place to help those with mental disorders and behavioral issues. I don't like that the doctor is only there once a week and when you have a legitimate issue or concern your basically screwed until your appointment.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#8 Dec 30, 2011
These counselors only attend a 2-4 week training, but then again it doesn't take a genius to sit and listen to someone talk. I've yet to find a counselor I favor over the previous one, or just love.
Pburg22

Macon, GA

#9 Dec 30, 2011
Dr. Narola in Pikeville.
Very good doctor who will prescribe you something for your depression but he will also want you to see a counselor.
Mountain Comp has gone downhill in the last few years. Their counselors are awful!
sad

Prestonsburg, KY

#10 Dec 30, 2011
We really need Dr's in this area. We don't have any help for people with depression. They put them in a hospital that has people with severe mental illness. It's very scary and makes it hard to ask for help.
Mythbuster

West Union, OH

#11 Dec 30, 2011
we are here wrote:
I can understand that the counselors at mt comp and medicaid are fed up with all the people going in just to make some claim about being unable to work because of depression.
Did you ever think some people could be depressed because they cannot work?

When I retired I got so depressed that I became physically ill to the point some of my organs began to fail.
Obama Sucks

Charleston, WV

#12 Dec 31, 2011
Mythbuster wrote:
<quoted text>
When I retired I got so depressed that I became physically ill to the point some of my organs began to fail.
This post explains a lot.....
meadie

United States

#13 Dec 31, 2011
misb5 wrote:
There is a doctor in paintsville that has nothing to do with mountain comp . Her name is Dr. Chua . And I under stand there is a therapist in Prestonsburg . But if you need meds I think you need a Dr.
dr chua works for mt comp
meadie

United States

#14 Dec 31, 2011
Damsel wrote:
These counselors only attend a 2-4 week training, but then again it doesn't take a genius to sit and listen to someone talk. I've yet to find a counselor I favor over the previous one, or just love.
they are all required to have degrees otherwise they couldn't bill Medicaid.
we are here

Winchester, KY

#15 Dec 31, 2011
Mythbuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I did think about that. Im in the same boat but I was trying to understand the counselors point of view as well.
let down

Pikeville, KY

#16 Dec 31, 2011
meadie wrote:
<quoted text>
dr chua works for mt comp
I was there for an appointment for my child. During our very brief (15 minute) first interview she answered two phone calls and read a text message. She didn't excuse herself or offer an apology. It was very frustrating.
misb5

United States

#17 Dec 31, 2011
Its because you have to care before it matters .
help

Hurley, VA

#18 Jan 1, 2012
Try paintsville Mt comp. Great therapist and totally different environment than prestonsburg.
been there

Ransom, KY

#19 Jan 1, 2012
mt comp is getting ridiculous as far as their doctors and therapist.They seem to just be trained bobble heads who just nod and agree most of the time and if the truth be told, they haven't listened to anything that was being said to them. It's very frustrating.
Floyd Countian

Logan, WV

#20 Jan 2, 2012
Worked at Mt Comp over 10 years. Most of the therapists discuss their parients out in the open and have always made smart remarks about them. No I was not fired or anything like that and am not wanting to start gossip but the truth is out there.
yeah

Frankfort, OH

#21 Jan 2, 2012
thats awful, the whole place needs shutdown if there not going to help or take us serious.And dr. dumas is a freakin jerk, i refuse to ever walk in he's office again..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prestonsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min another viewer 151,925
Betsy Layne Lover Man !!!! (Feb '16) 55 min Sadie 28
Farris Lawson Jr. (Jan '16) 58 min Ky girl 6
Kent rose 1 hr concerned citizen 10
Reno's Steak House 7 hr Say what 9
newest overdose victim on cow creek (May '10) 8 hr Maddox 5
bullcreek 9 hr concerned citizen 2

Prestonsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prestonsburg Mortgages