Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Saragon

Little Valley, NY

#72639 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
A lot of you might not appreciate this next item on my list of survival items, but a shelf supply of liquor(s) or wine(s) is beneficial too. Not only to barter with, but for "medicating" someone who is in pain when no other forms of adequate pain relief might be found and a simple dose of aspirin just won't do the job. Think "Old West days" when you construct your survival kits.
I always keep whiskey on hand for cough syrup and teas.

cough syrup-use half a fifth of whiskey and rock candy (you can make rock candy yourself or buy at the store) let the candy disolve in whiskey for a month, shake every now and then to mix it up.

sassafras tea cold remedy- boil sassafras root, willow, lemon and honey. Add a shot of whiskey just before you drink it and go to bed. It will sweat the cold out of you.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#72642 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
When we were small, they made a warm toddy of liquor and sorghum molasses for sore throats.
Yes. I remember being given a tablespoon of blackberry wine with honey and lemon juice for a severe cold with sore throat way back then..

And an "oldie but goody" remedy for severe nausea was Karo Syrup, baking soda and water. Put about a 1/4 cup of Karo syrup and about three tablespoons of baking soda in a medium sized mason jar full of water, keeping it chilled if you can. Give the person a tablespoon full at least every 1/2 hour. It eases the nausea in your stomach, helps to restore your blood sugar levels and also helps to rehydrate a person who's been vomiting..

I'm SURE that raw unprocessed honey would be better in place of the Karo syrup, now that I think about it...

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72650 Oct 17, 2012
More birds eating my seeds. Some I don't recognize. Hmm...
DontCare

Frankfort, KY

#72651 Oct 17, 2012
Celebration time, I didn't see any birds die today.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72653 Oct 17, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
More birds eating my seeds. Some I don't recognize. Hmm...
When I first got into birds I bought an audubon book,,while this is the computer age, the book was priceless in identifying the birds and providing good information. Get one. I liked the book so much I wound up getting the entire collection of audubon books,,trees, insects, anphibs, I think there are 20 in the feild guide series.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#72655 Oct 17, 2012
Still watching outside. Going to get some rain. My left knee hurts.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#72658 Oct 17, 2012
I just got back from our local fast food and while there I saw something rather awe inspiring. An old lady dropped her change and a young child without hesitating for a second, bent down and looked up and smiled at the old lady and gave her back her
change.

It did my heart good to see such respect from a child when we see so much lack of it on this thread. As I was leaving, I patted the young child on the shoulder and told her and her mama about how proud and blessed I was to see such an event.

"And a Chikd shall lead them".
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72659 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I just got back from our local fast food and while there I saw something rather awe inspiring. An old lady dropped her change and a young child without hesitating for a second, bent down and looked up and smiled at the old lady and gave her back her change.
It did my heart good to see such respect from a child when we see so much lack of it on this thread. As I was leaving, I patted the young child on the shoulder and told her and her mama about how proud and blessed I was to see such an event.
Hi Ancient Wolf, I know what you mean about witnessing that. In today's world where respect and decency seems to be lacking it is good to see some parents are still teaching it to their children. I witnessed a couple teenage boys at Kroger's helping a little old lady who's grocery bag had ripped while she was taking it out of the cart to put in her car . They stopped and picked up all her stuff off the parking lot and then proceeded to put all her groceries in. She tried to give them a couple bucks for helping her and they wouldn't take it. When they walked by my car going to their own, I said way to go boys, your mother would be proud. Made me feel good to see it. There are good people in the world, even little children.

I hope you enjoyed the beautiful day, I sure did. Looks like thunderstorms after midnight and tomorrow. Hope it doesn't bring down all the colorful leaves. I am so enjoying our back roads of Kentucky. Beautiful.

Location hidden

#72662 Oct 17, 2012
I actually had a young man walk up to me in the parking lot at the Tractor Supply store in Somerset recently when I was struggling to wrestle three extra large bags of critter food I'd bought into my vehicle..

At first I was on guard,(I'm ashamed to admit that), and I was actually ready to protect myself just in case..(Times being as they are and all). But when his intentions became clear? Well, I was touched. Tried to offer him a couple bucks for the help and he just smiled and said politely said "No thank you, I was happy to help".

There really ARE some good people left out there and it appears they are still raising some fine young people. Maybe all isn't lost after all.. Just maybe....
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72665 Oct 17, 2012
Hello Hemburn, NOPE, and Saragon. Sorry I missed you. Hope you had a great day.

Location hidden

#72669 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
Hello Hemburn, NOPE, and Saragon. Sorry I missed you. Hope you had a great day.
I'm still here, lol. Waiting for my Wednesday "laugh out loud" sitcoms to come on t.v.

The Middle
The Neighbors (This show is hilarious, btw)
Modern Family
Suburgatory

And THEN..........
"American Horror Story" returns tonight!!
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72671 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I actually had a young man walk up to me in the parking lot at the Tractor Supply store in Somerset recently when I was struggling to wrestle three extra large bags of critter food I'd bought into my vehicle..
At first I was on guard,(I'm ashamed to admit that), and I was actually ready to protect myself just in case..(Times being as they are and all). But when his intentions became clear? Well, I was touched. Tried to offer him a couple bucks for the help and he just smiled and said politely said "No thank you, I was happy to help".
There really ARE some good people left out there and it appears they are still raising some fine young people. Maybe all isn't lost after all.. Just maybe....
Hi NOPE, Like I said earlier in a post, I believe there are more good people than bad. I knew those boys were going to help her when I got out of my car. Your story reminds me of a tip I heard about our car keys...hit the alarm button to draw attention and then use the key to the eyes if attacked. They even say to keep your keys on your night stand because you could still set your car alarm off if someone broke in and scare them away or draw attention from neighbors or someone passing by.

Location hidden

#72678 Oct 17, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi NOPE, Like I said earlier in a post, I believe there are more good people than bad. I knew those boys were going to help her when I got out of my car. Your story reminds me of a tip I heard about our car keys...hit the alarm button to draw attention and then use the key to the eyes if attacked. They even say to keep your keys on your night stand because you could still set your car alarm off if someone broke in and scare them away or draw attention from neighbors or someone passing by.
That's a good pointer, but I carry concealed too. I do have an extra key remote by the bed though, even though no one way out here would ever hear it. The battery would be dead on the vehicle before anyone even drove by that could hear it, ROFLMBO!! The only thing I've clicked it for so far was for a skunk or two that were loitering too close by the wheels, hehe. We live way out in the woods on a few secluded acres and there's no traffic out here either. It's heaven.
Abeliever

Campbellsville, KY

#72681 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still here, lol. Waiting for my Wednesday "laugh out loud" sitcoms to come on t.v.
The Middle
The Neighbors (This show is hilarious, btw)
Modern Family
Suburgatory
And THEN..........
"American Horror Story" returns tonight!!
I watch Chicago Fire, CSI, and Nashville, which all come on a 10pm. I will watch Chicago Fire though and the other two later. There is lots of eye candy in that show, plus I am partial to First Responders. I heard that new show Neighbors was hilarious from my sister. There is usually next to nothing on or all on at the same time this season. I got caught up on Revolution last night before I went to bed. It is sooooooooo good.

I really enjoyed reading the decent post today and hope Saragon stays with us. She has a lot of knowledge and canning tips. I believe we did discuss honey being good medicine as well as never going bad. I hope we can go on discussing the things important going on in the world and how it affects us while sharing ideas of how to survive and protect our loved ones. Sooner or later something will happen to use the knowledge whether a big earthquake type disaster or just another ice storm. I hope we continue to be lucky and only have minor disasters like the ice storm that taught us so much.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#72684 Oct 17, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good pointer, but I carry concealed too. I do have an extra key remote by the bed though, even though no one way out here would ever hear it. The battery would be dead on the vehicle before anyone even drove by that could hear it, ROFLMBO!! The only thing I've clicked it for so far was for a skunk or two that were loitering too close by the wheels, hehe. We live way out in the woods on a few secluded acres and there's no traffic out here either. It's heaven.
It is the same here. Definitely no "drive by" shootings. They can't go any further than my house.

Location hidden

#72685 Oct 17, 2012
Me too. I just talked to a family member this afternoon who's in Boston on business and they felt that earthquake there. Said she'd felt stronger ones in her travels, but it was a bit unnerving to her at any rate. Specially being in a high rise motel in the heart of downtown Boston..

That New Madrid Fault really concerns me, that much I will admit. If that thing shifts like it did in the 1800's, well.. We all know how much devastation would occur and there would be no escape.. Not to mention, the Wolf Creek Dam scenario..

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72686 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I just got back from our local fast food and while there I saw something rather awe inspiring. An old lady dropped her change and a young child without hesitating for a second, bent down and looked up and smiled at the old lady and gave her back her
change.
How right you are. Even 10 years ago, it would be expected that children would be respectful and helpful to older adults, but today, that is a rare occurrence.

Location hidden

#72689 Oct 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the same here. Definitely no "drive by" shootings. They can't go any further than my house.
Don't you just love it? No traffic, no bothersome neighbors? I wouldn't live in a million dollar mansion in the Hollywood hills compared to the little place we have here.. No lie.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#72693 Oct 17, 2012
Good night Ab, Nope, Lala. I am ou of here. My eyes need a break. CLICK

Location hidden

#72697 Oct 17, 2012
Good night AW. Sleep well. Hope to see you tomorrow!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prestonsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min North Mountain 156,580
BCW Wrestling 6 hr The Green_Hornet 39
Will pay 50$ for a ride to Ashland asap.. 6 hr ride 2
Drug testing... 7 hr parent 2 2
News Job Corps is worth a second look (Mar '09) 8 hr newdonnabella 602
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 16 hr hot dog 755
Petition to boot John DeRossett. Wed Curious 10

Prestonsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prestonsburg Mortgages