Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81773 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#65639 Jul 31, 2012
Are you still here AW?

I think they are free ranged, "RClip". AW mentioned a story one night about letting them out to go down to the creek and how they loved the greenery down there to cool off under. It was such a nice story that it stuck in my head.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65645 Jul 31, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you free ranging or penning your birds
They free range only in the afternoons after the morning eggs are gathered.
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#65646 Jul 31, 2012
Great nite to everyone , hope your day was filled with joy. Alot going on , today with me. Boy if we could only clone ourself's to get everything done. Dreams, Dreams to you all, whether they be of someone you loved and lost , or still love, or that has gone on before you , may your heart be filled with joy from it tonight. See you all later..... Over and out..

Location hidden

#65649 Jul 31, 2012
G'night, "Trusted". Same to you!
DreamMan

Elizabethtown, KY

#65650 Jul 31, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
That's some pretty big talk, for someone that barely writes, coherently. Bwaahahahaa
Go take a class or something bub.
Really? I'm not coherent. Please do post the things I have typed here that are incoherent, so that I might explain it to you. I mean, you must be a professor or something, with degrees. After all, you can spell "bwaahahahaa" just fine.
twinkie

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#65655 Jul 31, 2012
Lol I think maybe the bird flu BC now a strain has gone to seals and now there is a seal flu I'm sure it could be spreading like that maybe the fish were sick I dunno just guessing BC I seen the seal flu that strained from bird flu on the news... but Im not really sure.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#65656 Jul 31, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
They free range only in the afternoons after the morning eggs are gathered.
Scruff, do you get enough eggs to off set the cost of feed? The cost of feed is up, but so is the cost of eggs. There might be a decrease of birds around my place. I think I'm going to have to start robbing bird nests.
DreamMan

Elizabethtown, KY

#65657 Jul 31, 2012
I am flattered that you would like to use my dreams, however I don't usually have any. Thank you for asking however, that was very nice.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65659 Jul 31, 2012
well my eyes have seen enough computer screen and enough of the results of the Full Moon effects... so Goodnight and ... CLICK....

Location hidden

#65662 Jul 31, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
well my eyes have seen enough computer screen and enough of the results of the Full Moon effects... so Goodnight and ... CLICK....
G'night, AW. I'm right behind you. Too tired for the nonsense tonight myself.

_-_Nope_-_, over and out.

*Poof*

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#65667 Jul 31, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
Gestation period of a typical chicken egg is about 21 days once the hen begins sitting on the clutch. If AW has 11 fertilized given the current heat and humidity he should get 6 or 7 roosters in the brood. Unlike most mammals, hens determine the sex of the chick.
Of course you realize birds are not mammals. No fur, no hair, no live young and no mammary glands.

Scotts Vegas

#65668 Jul 31, 2012
I cracked myself up. Please disregard 'fur' or 'hair.
Open

Richmond, KY

#65674 Jul 31, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Well... Good evening everybody! Interesting 'catch up' here for the past 1/2 hour or so.
Thanks for sticking up for me a while ago, guys. I don't know what was said about or directed at me, but also a huge thanks to the Mod who took it off. It must have been pretty filthy.
Another Topix oddity that reared it's ugly head was someone on here just a little bit ago claiming to be a Mod? Seriously? I hardly made it through that one from the tears in my eyes, I was laughing that hard. Actually brazen enough to be threatening someone with an email notice of TOS violations and a threat of being banned? REALLY?
THEN SUDDENLY, THE FAKE WANNABE MOD GETS IT'S OWN COMMENT ZAPPED?????
(I'm still chuckling at that one. This is better in here today than the Blue Collar Comedy Tour)...
<<snort>>
I was just going back to comment toward it and ZAPPPPPPPP! It was missing in action. Regrettably, I wasn't able to get back to that one in time to copy the user name and location for future reference. LOL! Will they never learn? Yep, it's a full moon out there tonight, folks...
Anyway, speaking of that very subject, I was wondering if anyone had taken a peek outside at that moon yet? It's absolutely gorgeous tonight! If you've not yet done so, take a minute to step outside. You'll be glad you did...
it doesn't take long to catch up anymore as there are many posts being deleted now. Notice the huge gaps in missing post numbers sometimes 5-10 in a row.

Scotts Vegas

#65679 Jul 31, 2012
Hello Abeliever.

Scotts Vegas

#65682 Jul 31, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Blue, great job jabbing back at them. Keep up the good work. You know them, we don't and don't want to. Enjoy your posts. They give me hearty laughs. lol Thanks, Hope you had a good night. I was going to log off after posting the thank you to the mods and saw your posts. Chat with you tomorrow. I am off to bed.
Good Night! See ya later.
hierophant

Winchester, KY

#65683 Jul 31, 2012
Original Abeliever wrote:
Earthquake Report
Utah
Magnitude: 4.1
Alaska - 9 total
Magnitude: 3.4
Hawaii - 3 total
Magnitude: 3.1
Oregon - 2 total
Magnitude: 3.0
South Carolina - 2 total
Magnitude: 2.8
California - 9 total
Magnitude: 2.6
Nevada - 2 total
Magnitude: 2.2
Virginia
Magnitude: 2.4
Illinois
Magnitude: 2.1
U.S. Virgin Islands - 4 total
Magnitude: 3.4
Elsewhere:
Indonesia - 2 toal
Magnitude: 5.0
Peru
Magnitude: 4.5
Afghanistan - 2 total
Magnitude: 4.2
Turkey - 18 total
Magnitude: 4.2
Russia
Magnitude: 4.0
Chile - 3 total
Magnitude: 3.8
Greece - 6 total
Magnitude: 3.8
Italy, Poland, British Virgin Islands, and Mexico also had earthquakes.
Biological Hazard in Canada on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Hundreds of dead fish found floating in a canal near Twin Lakes Beach in June likely died from suffocation. Provincial experts say the carp - white suckers and freshwater drum - suffered from low oxygen levels in the water. They were also spawning at the time, further depleting oxygen in the channel, which runs several kilometres between Lake St. Francis and Lake Manitoba. Testing found no water quality problems. The phenomenon is being called a natural event.
Biological Hazard in USA on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
State of Arizona
Bees attack
Biological Hazard in Australia on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Shark Attack (Non-fatal / Great White Shark)
Drought in USA on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Oklahoma
Volcano Activity in Guatemala on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Guatemala (had numerous earthquakes on the earlier maps a couple days ago)
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
this is amusing. there are always earthquakes occurring. only the extremely large ones get news time.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarch...
hierophant

Winchester, KY

#65684 Jul 31, 2012
so if you add up all those earthquakes you get an average of

<drum roll>

3957.5 per day with a magnitude 2.0 or higher.
UPDATE

Scottsville, KY

#65686 Aug 1, 2012
How many earthquakes happen each day?

Answer:
Approximately 275 that are large enough to be felt by humans. For more information, see below:

According to the US Geological Survey there are approximately 1,000,000 earthquakes around the world every year (although the vast majority of these are so small they can only be detected by sensitive scientific equipment).

Of these 1,000,000, approximately 1/10 are large enough to be felt by humans. This means that on any given day there will be an average of 2750 earthquakes around the world of which 275 are large enough to be felt by humans.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, on average there are around 100 earthquakes a year that are large enough to cause damage (however they often don't because they occur away from inhabited areas). This means there is a little under a 1 in 3 chance of there being a "large" earthquake somewhere in the world on any given day of the year.

USGS estimates several million a year. Most are so remote or so minor that they are never detected.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#65691 Aug 1, 2012
I have thought about keeping a few chickens mostly for the nostalgia of it but they are not a small commitment. My largest negative to having them is the nasty stray dogs that venture thru my place.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65692 Aug 1, 2012
@Nope.. I thought the full moon might give the baby chick hatch some incentive, but still no results as yet. Hatch is 2 days overdue, so I am questioning the fertility.

If nothing by the weekend, I will just have to be satisfied with the purchased chicks. They are doing quite well. I had one baby chick get out of the wire cage and run a distance of about 30 yards and was standing at my back door. So it has already learned where the feed comes from. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prestonsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Mickey402 143,165
Trying to get Marla Thompsons cell number 1 hr 1428pburg 2
Poll Should Jerry Fannin be we-ewected? 5 hr Truth 7
Poll How to tell if you are as fat as Big John Goble? 6 hr Jim 1
tiffany goble 9 hr HMM 6
Good way to get revenge on my ex she's a real b... 11 hr Have a good day 6
Alanis Carol 13 hr lol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prestonsburg Mortgages