Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81677 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jan 10

Scotts Vegas

#65668 Jul 31, 2012
I cracked myself up. Please disregard 'fur' or 'hair.
Open

Lebanon, KY

#65674 Jul 31, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Well... Good evening everybody! Interesting 'catch up' here for the past 1/2 hour or so.
Thanks for sticking up for me a while ago, guys. I don't know what was said about or directed at me, but also a huge thanks to the Mod who took it off. It must have been pretty filthy.
Another Topix oddity that reared it's ugly head was someone on here just a little bit ago claiming to be a Mod? Seriously? I hardly made it through that one from the tears in my eyes, I was laughing that hard. Actually brazen enough to be threatening someone with an email notice of TOS violations and a threat of being banned? REALLY?
THEN SUDDENLY, THE FAKE WANNABE MOD GETS IT'S OWN COMMENT ZAPPED?????
(I'm still chuckling at that one. This is better in here today than the Blue Collar Comedy Tour)...
<<snort>>
I was just going back to comment toward it and ZAPPPPPPPP! It was missing in action. Regrettably, I wasn't able to get back to that one in time to copy the user name and location for future reference. LOL! Will they never learn? Yep, it's a full moon out there tonight, folks...
Anyway, speaking of that very subject, I was wondering if anyone had taken a peek outside at that moon yet? It's absolutely gorgeous tonight! If you've not yet done so, take a minute to step outside. You'll be glad you did...
it doesn't take long to catch up anymore as there are many posts being deleted now. Notice the huge gaps in missing post numbers sometimes 5-10 in a row.

Scotts Vegas

#65679 Jul 31, 2012
Hello Abeliever.

Scotts Vegas

#65682 Jul 31, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Blue, great job jabbing back at them. Keep up the good work. You know them, we don't and don't want to. Enjoy your posts. They give me hearty laughs. lol Thanks, Hope you had a good night. I was going to log off after posting the thank you to the mods and saw your posts. Chat with you tomorrow. I am off to bed.
Good Night! See ya later.
hierophant

Morehead, KY

#65683 Jul 31, 2012
Original Abeliever wrote:
Earthquake Report
Utah
Magnitude: 4.1
Alaska - 9 total
Magnitude: 3.4
Hawaii - 3 total
Magnitude: 3.1
Oregon - 2 total
Magnitude: 3.0
South Carolina - 2 total
Magnitude: 2.8
California - 9 total
Magnitude: 2.6
Nevada - 2 total
Magnitude: 2.2
Virginia
Magnitude: 2.4
Illinois
Magnitude: 2.1
U.S. Virgin Islands - 4 total
Magnitude: 3.4
Elsewhere:
Indonesia - 2 toal
Magnitude: 5.0
Peru
Magnitude: 4.5
Afghanistan - 2 total
Magnitude: 4.2
Turkey - 18 total
Magnitude: 4.2
Russia
Magnitude: 4.0
Chile - 3 total
Magnitude: 3.8
Greece - 6 total
Magnitude: 3.8
Italy, Poland, British Virgin Islands, and Mexico also had earthquakes.
Biological Hazard in Canada on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Hundreds of dead fish found floating in a canal near Twin Lakes Beach in June likely died from suffocation. Provincial experts say the carp - white suckers and freshwater drum - suffered from low oxygen levels in the water. They were also spawning at the time, further depleting oxygen in the channel, which runs several kilometres between Lake St. Francis and Lake Manitoba. Testing found no water quality problems. The phenomenon is being called a natural event.
Biological Hazard in USA on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
State of Arizona
Bees attack
Biological Hazard in Australia on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Shark Attack (Non-fatal / Great White Shark)
Drought in USA on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Oklahoma
Volcano Activity in Guatemala on Tuesday, 31 July, 2012
Guatemala (had numerous earthquakes on the earlier maps a couple days ago)
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
this is amusing. there are always earthquakes occurring. only the extremely large ones get news time.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarch...
hierophant

Morehead, KY

#65684 Jul 31, 2012
so if you add up all those earthquakes you get an average of

<drum roll>

3957.5 per day with a magnitude 2.0 or higher.
UPDATE

Westmoreland, TN

#65686 Aug 1, 2012
How many earthquakes happen each day?

Answer:
Approximately 275 that are large enough to be felt by humans. For more information, see below:

According to the US Geological Survey there are approximately 1,000,000 earthquakes around the world every year (although the vast majority of these are so small they can only be detected by sensitive scientific equipment).

Of these 1,000,000, approximately 1/10 are large enough to be felt by humans. This means that on any given day there will be an average of 2750 earthquakes around the world of which 275 are large enough to be felt by humans.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, on average there are around 100 earthquakes a year that are large enough to cause damage (however they often don't because they occur away from inhabited areas). This means there is a little under a 1 in 3 chance of there being a "large" earthquake somewhere in the world on any given day of the year.

USGS estimates several million a year. Most are so remote or so minor that they are never detected.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#65691 Aug 1, 2012
I have thought about keeping a few chickens mostly for the nostalgia of it but they are not a small commitment. My largest negative to having them is the nasty stray dogs that venture thru my place.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65692 Aug 1, 2012
@Nope.. I thought the full moon might give the baby chick hatch some incentive, but still no results as yet. Hatch is 2 days overdue, so I am questioning the fertility.

If nothing by the weekend, I will just have to be satisfied with the purchased chicks. They are doing quite well. I had one baby chick get out of the wire cage and run a distance of about 30 yards and was standing at my back door. So it has already learned where the feed comes from. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65693 Aug 1, 2012
RoachClip wrote:
I have thought about keeping a few chickens mostly for the nostalgia of it but they are not a small commitment. My largest negative to having them is the nasty stray dogs that venture thru my place.
I have lost two in the past to a stray dog and one to an opossum that I trapped and relocated about 2 miles away. That is another reason I only allow my chickens to free range in the afternoons when I can control things better.

If a person works or is gone away from home for more than I am, it would be most inconvenient to keep chickens. But I am retired and the chickens afford a little fun, nostalgia, and a little income from the eggs. I get enough eggs in one week to purchase feed for a month, plus I have plenty to eat since I only eat the small ones and sell the larger. I now have 12 layers, but plan to cap out at around 24.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#65694 Aug 1, 2012
"AW", you and I are on the same page. What I save in having to purchase eggs, they MORE than make up for in fresh laying. And those yokes? Oh my word, so orange and tasty... What we don't eat of the eggs, the dogs and cat even get for treats after I boil them up. If I am totally overloaded, I will completely crunch up a couple boiled eggs and give them back to my hens. Shells and all, as the shells are also a good source of calcium for them. They love it!

Plus, they are great little garbage disposals. They love leftover veggies and even meat. There is nothing funnier than giving them plain leftover spaghetti noodles and watching them toss those noodles up and around like they're earthworms caught in hard fought battle, ROFLMBO!

I'm even the crazy lady that will cook them up some hot oatmeal in the winter. They love honey drizzled in it. Even raisins and cinnamon... I occasionally will also heat up Ramen noodles for them in the mornings when the temps have dropped, minus the spice packet of course, which I save to use for seasoning other meals here for the human beings, hehe. You can get a pack of Ramen noodles for 15 cents. That's what I call a very cheap treat!!

Anyone thinking about getting some chickens though, DO beware that there are certain foods that aren't good for them.
(Some debate remains on whether these food are really bad for them or not, but to be on the safe side mine don't get avocado or raw onions. Ever).

It is a bit of work keeping chickens, but it's minimal in my opinion. The worst job is keeping the coop clean of poo. Then being responsible enough to be up to let them out in the morning and then be at home EVERY night at dusk to secure the door on their coop so that no night critters get them, making dinner of your chicken babies.
(Had a problematic opossum here a few weeks back, too)..

Mine free range it all day long, going back to their coop and the nesting boxes to lay throughout the day. I have a fenced in area that they are free to roam in. I also clip their wings, just as I do my parrot. It keeps them from being able to fly over the fence. So far, no problems from hawks, etc. My hens are pretty fat and bulky, so it would take an eagle to probably tote them off.. So far, so good around here.

Location hidden

#65695 Aug 1, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Nope.. I thought the full moon might give the baby chick hatch some incentive, but still no results as yet. Hatch is 2 days overdue, so I am questioning the fertility.
If nothing by the weekend, I will just have to be satisfied with the purchased chicks. They are doing quite well. I had one baby chick get out of the wire cage and run a distance of about 30 yards and was standing at my back door. So it has already learned where the feed comes from. LOL
They really are smart animals. No doubt about it. I've mentioned on here before that after owning chickens for as long as I have, I got a bit turned off about even eating wings and such.

On the hatching situation: Have you held any of the eggs up to your ear and listened for the 'ticking' sound they make when they're trying to get out yet? I surely hope you get a hatch soon. I'd at least give it another week. No harm in it anyway... If no one pops out by then, I'd say that you got hold of some non-fertile eggs..

Location hidden

#65696 Aug 1, 2012
By the way, it was refreshing to pop into this thread today and not have to weed through all of the nastiness and hate. Glad we can converse peacefully now without being hammered about anything...
fonzynolicker

Burlington, KY

#65701 Aug 1, 2012
heres something to think about humans are the only one that doesnt have a compus or a since of the magnetic field so not saying earthquake but it sounds weather related could just lost there pointer and dropped
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#65703 Aug 1, 2012
@Nope. just popped in for a minute to say that I also do not give my chickens raw potato peelings, but I have given them left over baked. I am not sure where I heard that or even if it is valid and it might have been by Googling "Backyard Chickens". But then the potato peelngs are not wasted either, they go into my compost.

I chuckled at your description on the left over spaghetti. I do that quite often. Also when letting them free range, I had to put up a chicken wire fence around my tomato plants. They love to peck holes in the green tomatoes. I would not care if they stuck with the same tomato, but they like to sample all of them to see which is best. LOL

I planted enough corn for all critters including deer and raccoons. What the wild critters mess over, the rest goes to the chickens. They love the corn silks too. I like to sit in my porch swing and watch the chickens shake the corn stalks, I can't see them but it is obvious when they are in the corn. LOL It reminds me of the scene in "Cool Hand Luke" where Paul Neuman was shaking the bushes to let the prison guard know he was still doing his business in the bushes LOL

Have a good day I have work to do and not likely to be back until later in the evening unless I get caught up on the work or need a breather ... CLICK

Location hidden

#65704 Aug 1, 2012
Have mercy, AW, I had completely forgotten to mention the raw tater peelings! You're absolutely correct, I've heard that chickens can't digest those..

Wow, good catch! Thanks again!!

Scotts Vegas

#65705 Aug 1, 2012
Is there a sixth sense that can be used to navigate?
Studies have proved that some blind people can see things without being aware that they have seen them. Using ancient visual pathways the brain is sometimes able to make sense of information coming in through the eyes of blind people. One person in a study, totally blinded by strokes and known only as TN, even managed to navigate his way around an obstacle course and reacted to other peoples’ facial expressions, despite being unable to ‘see’ them. The study was led by Professor Beatrice de Gelder,
‘It’s a part of our vision that’s for orienting and doing in the world rather than for understanding. All the time, we are using hidden resources of our brain, doing things we think we are unable to do.’[39]
A lot of people believe that natural navigation ability is connected to a ‘sixth sense’. Do human beings have an ability to navigate purely by instinct? This is a debate that will run and run, which is great. Part of the reason is that there will always be plenty who like some abilities to remain outside of rational analysis. This has an interesting effect, once science finds an answer for something that was previously held to be mystical, it is abandoned by the mystics who look for other uncharted territory. It is a moveable feast, but there are two sides to the table.
The Australian bushman Lindsay sat firmly on one side,
‘Sense of direction is something you enter this world with, and if it wasn’t conferred upon you as a birthright you’ll never acquire it, no matter how hard you study. I was born with this gift and it is impossible for any of us who are so gifted to explain how we do it.’

Scotts Vegas

#65706 Aug 1, 2012
It would appear that Lindsay’s sense of direction was not matched by his modesty. This may be why the Australian Dictionary of Biography wrote the following about him,‘Although Lindsay had his supporters, some people thought that he was opinionated and others regarded him as a bore.’[29b]
Gatty who had much greater general experience of navigating firmly believed that there was no such thing as a sixth sense. He believed that all directional clues can be rationally explained.
It is possible that the two sides are not as opposite as it first appears. It may be that what has been called by some a ‘sixth sense’ is actually just referring to a subconscious analysis of rational clues. Many of those who take an interest in the direction they are going: walkers, sailors and pilots included, have told me of a feeling of ‘wrongwayitis’ that they get when travelling in a different hemisphere from their home one – even though they were not attempting to navigate naturally. This would seem to indicate a subconscious awareness of celestial clues, especially the sun.
I had an experience that would support this idea when driving along a motorway a couple of years ago. I was not much paying a lot of attention to direction as I was only following a familiar route home along the M27. I happened to be driving east and it was late on a summer day. I had a terrible feeling of ‘wrongwayitis’ it made me feel desperately uneasy. It took a few moments to analyse it, but then it became clear that there was a strange contrast in the sky, there were dark rain clouds behind me, to the west, and clear skies ahead. The eastern sky appeared brighter and the western sky darker at the end of the day, which I am now sure caused the strange sensation.
Nature can give us other clues, without us always being conscious of it and this might be interpreted as instinct. A. H. Hudson was aware of being led by water,‘The stream invites us to follow: the impulse is so common that it might be set down as instinct.’[30] There are many clues that can be used consciously, but if used subconsciously might lead some to believe more strongly in a sixth sense. There is some evidence that people can use magnestism to navigate: iron oxide has been found in the sinuses of human beings, as well as the brains of birds and other organisms.
It is not my intention to try and resolve this debate, mainly because I cannot and believe it will be in good health many decades from now, but also because it is an emotional subject. Even those that deny any sixth sense tend to become emotional in their denial. I prefer on this occasion to do the honourable/cowardly thing and to light the blue touchpaper and then retire to a safe distance.

Read more: Is there a sixth sense that can be used to navigate?– The Natural Navigator

Location hidden

#65707 Aug 1, 2012
fonzynolicker wrote:
heres something to think about humans are the only one that doesnt have a compus or a since of the magnetic field so not saying earthquake but it sounds weather related could just lost there pointer and dropped
That's a good point to ponder, but some of the birds were dead before they hit the ground from what a few news stories have printed. HOW exactly they were able to figure that out always had me a little bit baffled, but it's been put out there in print....

I know a little bit about forensics due to being in the medical field for a quite a while, so I imagine that they performed 'postmortems' and discovered that maybe there was no bleeding, either internally or externally, after they hit the ground. That would obviously mean their hearts had stopped beating before they hit..

A human is the same way. Once your heart stops beating, there's no blood flow. No blood flow, no bleeding out. Unless of course you're so 'damaged' that you're leaking everywhere.

(Sorry to get graphic, but that's the easiest way to put it)..

Location hidden

#65708 Aug 1, 2012
Excellent post, "Blue". I agree totally on the 'wrongwayitis' theory. We become accustomed to the sun rising in the east, setting in the west. Even certain times of the day, we subconsciously KNOW which way we're going, all without having to examine that knowledge in depth.. We grow accustomed to which way the shadows are pointed, etc. I wasn't aware of iron oxide in our sinus cavities, but never thought about it before either, LOL... I'm going to have to Google this further. You've got my brain turning now.

Good points to think about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prestonsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 39 min Anon 149,881
Prestonsburg Football 2 hr Hugo Mendez 274
who is a good child custody lawyer for grandparent 6 hr lawyer1 1
News BSCTC enrollment skyrocketing for fall semester - 12 hr smartest of all 15
~+~ Last Post Wins ~+~ (Oct '11) 13 hr -Figgy - 3,369
Tyrone Morris 20 hr TMorris 1
Betsy Layne Lover Man !!!! Wed DeeDee 16

Prestonsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prestonsburg Mortgages