Both sides rest case in Dill DUI trial

By Errol Castens Daily Journal Oxford Bureau OXFORD - Attorneys are expected to present closing arguments this morning in the aggravated DUI trial of Dustin Dill after both the prosecution and defense rested ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Angela Ranstrom

Shreveport, LA

#1 May 12, 2006
Being present at the trial I find that the accident was just that an accident waiting to happen. I live near the UCF College and there are always police directing traffic during any functions! They should have been towing and giving tickets to everyone parked on Highway 6, From what I saw this is a highway not a parking lot! I feel very sad for the Eweing's, but as I said this was an unavoidable accident! I myself drink and alcohol can effect people in different ways, had there have been a field sobriety test I would bet my life you would have found he was not impaired at the time of the accident! Don't forget there was a college game going on and many people were drinking, but who was checking ID's for under age kids! There are many people to blame in this case, but will it bring her back? To me it seems you are using Dustin Dill as an escape goat for what the City of Oxford could have avoided along time ago! This will remain with him and his family for their entire lives just as it will the Eweing's! Maybe the people of Oxford should reevaluate their parking for college games!
Susan Holder

Mississippi State, MS

#2 May 15, 2006
I think it is a SAD, SAD, day in America when the jury found Dustin Dill not guilty of DUI- causing death. He was SIX times over the legal limit for a person under the age of 21. Those parked cars on Highway 6 did NOT cause Amy Ewing's death. They didn't jump out and strike her causing her death. If Dustin Dill had not consumed so much alcohol, he would have been responsible and could have avoided causing the death of a very sweet, young lady.

How could people sit on a jury and not find him GUILTY. He had consumed SIX TIMES over the limit. I have a problem with those people on that jury! Evidentally, they are not competent, intelligent citizens.

It is very evident that we have no justice system in America for those people who consume alcohol and are impaired in their mental and physicial capabilities and cause death to totally innocent people. It is sad to see that we lost such a fine, sweet young lady.

My heart goes out to her family!
Susannah Taylor

San Francisco, CA

#3 May 16, 2006
If you would have paid any attention at all to the trial, you would have noticed that Amy's alcohol level was over his. It wasn't all his fault. If the City of Oxford would have been doing its job, this would not have happened. He wasn't speeding and the game wasn't even over. If you have ever driven through that area during a football game, you would know it was an accident waiting. to happen. I'm very sorry for the loss the Ewing family has had, but they were just both caught in a situation where they were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Susan Holder wrote:
I think it is a SAD, SAD, day in America when the jury found Dustin Dill not guilty of DUI- causing death. He was SIX times over the legal limit for a person under the age of 21. Those parked cars on Highway 6 did NOT cause Amy Ewing's death. They didn't jump out and strike her causing her death. If Dustin Dill had not consumed so much alcohol, he would have been responsible and could have avoided causing the death of a very sweet, young lady.
How could people sit on a jury and not find him GUILTY. He had consumed SIX TIMES over the limit. I have a problem with those people on that jury! Evidentally, they are not competent, intelligent citizens.
It is very evident that we have no justice system in America for those people who consume alcohol and are impaired in their mental and physicial capabilities and cause death to totally innocent people. It is sad to see that we lost such a fine, sweet young lady.
Paul Kelly

Sanford, FL

#4 May 19, 2006
You are right. It is sad. But, I think it is sad for a different reason than you. It's sad because people don't understand all the facts before making their decision about this case. Driving a vehicle with an illegal blood alcohol level is only part of the criteria for being convicted of aggravated-DUI. In order to be convicted guilty of aggravated-DUI, the State must also PROVE, WITHOUT REASONABLE DOUBT, that Dustin drove recklessly. Ben Creekmore and T.R. Trout failed to do that. And, they failed since it is not possible to prove. The only eyewitnesses to testify, Mr. and Mrs. McCarty, said that Dustin was driving under control and BELOW the speed limit. Anybody who was at the trial would tell you that the State simply used the fact that Dustin was driving with a 0.12 blood-alcohol level for their grounds for Dustin driving recklessly. One does NOT imply the other. The only party negligent in this case is the State. The State set the stage, to quote Defense attorney Steve Farese, "for the perfect storm of events." What police department let's people park on a highway?! That's absurd! Dustin is simply a scapegoat for years of making a poor decision of letting people park on a highway. Oxford Police officers that testified in this case said that it was an accident waiting to happen. Review the FACTS of the case, Susan, not the public opinion of the case and definitely not the online articles of this case. The online articles do not report the facts of the case. If you review the facts of the case, then you too will come to the same conclusion as the jury.
I agree with you that Amie is a wonderful person. I regret that I had to get to know of her through these circumstances. My best goes out to her family and friends.
Susan Holder wrote:
Wylie Mane

United States

#5 Jun 15, 2006
Paul Kelly wrote:
You are right. It is sad. But, I think it is sad for a different reason than you. It's sad because people don't understand all the facts before making their decision about this case. Driving a vehicle with an illegal blood alcohol level is only part of the criteria for being convicted of aggravated-DUI. In order to be convicted guilty of aggravated-DUI, the State must also PROVE, WITHOUT REASONABLE DOUBT, that Dustin drove recklessly. Ben Creekmore and T.R. Trout failed to do that. And, they failed since it is not possible to prove. The only eyewitnesses to testify, Mr. and Mrs. McCarty, said that Dustin was driving under control and BELOW the speed limit. Anybody who was at the trial would tell you that the State simply used the fact that Dustin was driving with a 0.12 blood-alcohol level for their grounds for Dustin driving recklessly. One does NOT imply the other. The only party negligent in this case is the State. The State set the stage, to quote Defense attorney Steve Farese, "for the perfect storm of events." What police department let's people park on a highway?! That's absurd! Dustin is simply a scapegoat for years of making a poor decision of letting people park on a highway. Oxford Police officers that testified in this case said that it was an accident waiting to happen. Review the FACTS of the case, Susan, not the public opinion of the case and definitely not the online articles of this case. The online articles do not report the facts of the case. If you review the facts of the case, then you too will come to the same conclusion as the jury.
I agree with you that Amie is a wonderful person. I regret that I had to get to know of her through these circumstances. My best goes out to her family and friends.
<quoted text>
What about the fact that the eyewitnesses first stated that "he flew by them" and they were the ones that called in the 911 call as a hit and run. He even told the police that he was going 60-65 mph and who tells the police a higher speed when they are in trouble?
Dill Friend

Orlando, FL

#6 Jun 30, 2006
It is quite obvious you did not attend the trial due to the fact you do not have the facts correct. Neither Mr. or Mrs. McCarty testified that Dustin "flew by them". After the accident he pulled over in the first available spot since there were about 1200 cars parked illegally on both sides of Highway 6...there was never a question of hit & run. As far as speed ....he was in shock after such a tragic accident. No one seems to talk about a young lady crossing a dark highway with no shoes on & a higher blood alcohol level than Dill. Dill was acquitted on all charges by a jury in Oxford...leave him alone. My heart goes out to both families. It was a tragic accident.
Family

United States

#7 Jul 24, 2006
Dill Friend wrote:
It is quite obvious you did not attend the trial due to the fact you do not have the facts correct. Neither Mr. or Mrs. McCarty testified that Dustin "flew by them". After the accident he pulled over in the first available spot since there were about 1200 cars parked illegally on both sides of Highway 6...there was never a question of hit & run. As far as speed ....he was in shock after such a tragic accident. No one seems to talk about a young lady crossing a dark highway with no shoes on & a higher blood alcohol level than Dill. Dill was acquitted on all charges by a jury in Oxford...leave him alone. My heart goes out to both families. It was a tragic accident.
You are right they did not testify to the fact that he flew by them but it was in their statement they gave to the police after the accident. It is strange that their testimony changed during the trial. What is up with that? Why would they change their testimony? What provoked the change? And yes I was in the court room for the trial. I heard the whole testimony given>
Friend

United States

#8 Jul 24, 2006
Dill Friend wrote:
If it was a so called accident, then why has he not shown any remorse for hitting her. Even if it was an accident, his car hit her and killed her so I would think that he could at least act like he was sorry even if he wasn't. I understand from ones that were in the court room that he never even showed any sign of remorse.
Friend

United States

#9 Jul 24, 2006
Dill Friend wrote:
What did the fact that she had no shoes on have to do with anything? Was she driving a car after she had been drinking, I don't think so. I don't think that she could have killed someone walking across the road. I don't understand if people think he wasn't impaired, then why did he not attempt to hit his brakes, or swerve to miss her? Anyone that hasn't been drinking and has an animal run across the road at least will attempt to miss it. I believe that Amie deserved better.
Dill Friend

Orlando, FL

#10 Aug 2, 2006
This was tragic accident...to say Dustin Dill shows no remorse is an outrage. He lives with nightmares of this terrible night & will for the rest of his life. He is terribly saddend that Amie lost her life. If you knew Dustin & his family you would never say he has no remorse. Both The Dill Family & The Ewing Family lifes have been changed forever. Dustin has a very close family & helped him through the last very tough couple years. In the courtroom if you looked around it would have told you the kind of person Dustin Dill is...he was surronded by his family & had friends from Florida that took time off work,school,etc. to support him in Oxford...over (40) people. That should tell you what kind of a person he is. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever know with a huge heart. My heart goes out both families...it was accident.
Dill Friend

Orlando, FL

#11 Aug 2, 2006
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was a so called accident, then why has he not shown any remorse for hitting her. Even if it was an accident, his car hit her and killed her so I would think that he could at least act like he was sorry even if he wasn't. I understand from ones that were in the court room that he never even showed any sign of remorse.
What are you trying to say that The McCarty's changed their story when they testified? That is not true. They had never met Dustin Dill until the night of the accident. The only told the truth of what occured on Highway 6 that night...tragic accident. I think everyone should let this go...Dill was aquitted on all charges..it's over.
Someone who loves Amie

Jackson, MS

#12 Aug 11, 2006
The trial may be over, but it will never be over for Amie's family & friends. There is not one day that goes by that we do not think of and miss Amie terribly.(I can actually physically feel my heart hurting.) Amie was such a special person.(I think many forget that Amie was a person - not just a student who died tragically.) Amie was very close to her family. We shared weekends together, camp-outs together, every holiday together - and now there is a horrible void in all our lives. Did you know that Amie wanted to get married and have children?(The last night of her life, she spent the night with her 11-month-old niece who she adored.) That she had almost completed her dream of being a pharmacist. That she loved to still hold her Mom's hand when they were walking or shopping.(As I write this I can still see Amie & her mom dancing together, having fun, at our campsite.) And Amie loved to laugh. Amie was doing nothing wrong that night. She parked on the highway like thousands of others; she was old enough to drink and she was NOT driving. All the trial proved to me was that our judicial system is a joke and that Dustin had a slick lawyer who instructed all those people to be in the courtroom. Those who loved Amie (and there are sooooo many as evidenced by her funeral) found it too painful to be in that courtroom. Her parents and family who were in the courtroom did not see any remorse or compassion from any one on the Dill side especially not Dustin. Dustin still has not had the decency to express his sympathies to our family. So do not tell me how he has suffered. Our family has suffered & nothing will ever be the same. Amie will not be able to live out her dreams; Dustin will. It is this simple - he should not have been driving and drinking - it is wrong! He should be held accountable for his actions. And Amie should still be with us! So don't say it is over, it will never be over for those of us who love Amie!
Someone who loves Amie

Jackson, MS

#13 Aug 24, 2006
Today is Amie's birthday.
Someone who loves Amie

Jackson, MS

#14 Aug 24, 2006
Today is Amie's birthday!
I love Amie too

United States

#15 Aug 24, 2006
Today should have been such a special day in Amie's life. She would have been 25 years old today. I hope everyone who drinks and drives thinks really hard before they get behind the wheel and I just wish that Dustin had done the same.
I love Amie too

Seminary, MS

#16 Sep 4, 2007
Today marks the 3rd anniversary of Amie's death and it is still so painful. Dustin still has not extended his regrets for hitting her. That would help the family so much if he would just say that he was sorry for hitting her. Accident or not, he still hit her and killed her.
We love Amie

Seminary, MS

#17 Sep 25, 2007
If Dustin feels so bad, why hasn't he told the Ewing Family that he was sorry? Accident or not, he hit and killed her.
Dill Friend wrote:
This was tragic accident...to say Dustin Dill shows no remorse is an outrage. He lives with nightmares of this terrible night & will for the rest of his life. He is terribly saddend that Amie lost her life. If you knew Dustin & his family you would never say he has no remorse. Both The Dill Family & The Ewing Family lifes have been changed forever. Dustin has a very close family & helped him through the last very tough couple years. In the courtroom if you looked around it would have told you the kind of person Dustin Dill is...he was surronded by his family & had friends from Florida that took time off work,school,etc. to support him in Oxford...over (40) people. That should tell you what kind of a person he is. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever know with a huge heart. My heart goes out both families...it was accident.
phbl

Edmonton, Canada

#18 Oct 20, 2007
Susan Holder wrote:
i think it's a great day for the USA that the jury considered all facts and came to a reasonable legal conclusion rather than ignoring some very considerable facts and finding him guilty because of the witch hunt. but i guess that's a bad thing for mississippi, one of the most forward thinking states. the law doesn't function (and is not supposed to function) intuitively; after all, normal people would find guilt with 90% proof, not 100%. there was a lack of 100% proof. and if the law worked like how you wanted it to for dill, the police and prosecutors would also be the judge and jury. dill was acquitted in one of the finest judicial systems in the world, and simply because you didn't get drive by vengeance doesn't mean the system is a failure. so stop the patriotism witch hunt crap and consider the facts, please?
phbl

Edmonton, Canada

#19 Oct 20, 2007
Wylie Mane wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the fact that the eyewitnesses first stated that "he flew by them" and they were the ones that called in the 911 call as a hit and run. He even told the police that he was going 60-65 mph and who tells the police a higher speed when they are in trouble?
as a lawyer, i would ask "what do you mean by 'flew by them'", "when is the last time you received training in visually measuring a motor vehicle's speed?", "how much experience do you have judging speed?", "do you think it's ok for a police officer to give you a ticket based on a visual inspection of speed?", come on, that's not proof, that's just eyewitness statements external to the incident. dill's statement still doesn't meet the criteria for aggravated DUI. speeding yes. aggravated DUI no.
We love Amie

Seminary, MS

#20 Oct 22, 2007
It was a fact that Dill's BAC was much much higher than is legal for an adult and he was also underage. If this, as you say, does constitute speeding, then it constitutes aggravated DUI because you only have to show neglience other than the fact of the high BAC to be aggravated DUI.
phbl wrote:
<quoted text>
as a lawyer, i would ask "what do you mean by 'flew by them'", "when is the last time you received training in visually measuring a motor vehicle's speed?", "how much experience do you have judging speed?", "do you think it's ok for a police officer to give you a ticket based on a visual inspection of speed?", come on, that's not proof, that's just eyewitness statements external to the incident. dill's statement still doesn't meet the criteria for aggravated DUI. speeding yes. aggravated DUI no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Presidential Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Pastor LDM 19,381
Why the Left Should Look to Jackson, Mississippi Wed Swedenforever 5
Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) Oct 20 Geoscientist 1,990
Flooding in areas of Central Mississippi Oct 15 ACE MILNER 1
Tea party leader arrested in Miss. Senate race ... Oct 15 Swedenforever 27
Truth or Rumor: Bishop Keith Butler (Jan '08) Oct 8 CurtainsCoverEmpt... 1,101
Total Transportation Not Good to Work For (Dec '13) Oct 4 Dan the man 49

Presidential Hills Jobs

Presidential Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Presidential Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Presidential Hills

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]