Your Thoughts on the Parents Video Tapes and the New Journal Entries

Posted in the Prescott Valley Forum

A Reader

Utica, NY

#1 Apr 3, 2013
The new journal entries certainly changed my mind about TA. He was far from the 'perfect' Mormon. Evidently, from what JA wrote in her journal, TA was abusive in different ways to JA.

I also felt sorry for her parents. Her mom was in shock to find out what JA presumedly had done to TA. Yet, she admits to JA having 'mental problems' for quite awhile.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#2 Apr 3, 2013
Jodi's mom, when she found out that Travis was killed, asked Jodi if she'd been in Arizona then. If you found out one of your kids' friends was murdered, would you suspect them? It wasn't a shock to her. She basically asked Jodi if she did it.

They knew how sick she was and did nothing. I don't feel any pity for them. The victim's family didn't know what might be coming; I feel sorry for them.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#3 Apr 3, 2013
Travis wasn't a perfect Mormon (if there is such a thing) or human. But Jodi's journals are most likely as out of touch with reality as she was, since she was doing the writing. I just can't base any opinion on anything Jodi says, writes or does; she's a lying drama queen who distorts every situation to conform to how she thinks it should be. She has a great imagination (ninja story) and talent for spinning dramatic stories; the journal could be more fairy tales.
A Reader

Utica, NY

#4 Apr 3, 2013
I'm sorry. But, in the tape, her mom is clearly quite upset. Jodi told her she wasn't in AZ. Obviously, she lied. They had no idea that JA did that until the PD arrested her & told them the evidence they had against their daughter. Her mom even told the inv that she felt like she had to 'puke'. Yes, I feel she was in shock over it. What parent(s) wouldn't be to find out that their daughter is suspected of murder?

I agree JA is a liar. But, are u saying that she lies about EVERYTHING? She NEVER tells the truth? I don't think so. The journal entries are months before the murder. I think she was writing down her true feelings.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#5 Apr 4, 2013
I, too, feel badly for her parents. Without a doubt, they failed their daughter in some way but Jodi needs to take responsibility for her own actions. Nonetheless, she is their daughter. Although it appears they are smiling and unaffected by all that is going on, I wonder what they are like when not in the public eye?

Remember that Arias did not like discipline, which is why she moved out of her parents' house in the first place. Even if her parents had gotten her the help she needed, unless Arias was willing to accept that help (rather than placate to it), it would not have done much good. I think it is just in her nature to do as she pleases regardless of consequence or other people's feelings.

Her parents' interrogation videos clips confirmed the suspicion I had that Arias was troubled long before she met Alexander.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#6 Apr 4, 2013
She was troubled long before Travis. She was troubled when she dropped out of school and left home at 16, and she wasn't an adult at that point. She was their responsibility. I've not seen any evidence that they ever attempted to seek help at any point.

My oldest son was difficult and eventually diagnosed bipolar but we didn't just ignore it and let him go. He was our responsibility and we dealt with it, and as a result he's a productive adult who deals with his issues and isn't a danger to society.

Dad oddly distanced himself from Jodi in the interview, and Mom seemed distraught to have her suspicions become reality but she knew there was a good possibility that Jodi was involved. She asked her if she was.

I don't dislike these people and I hope they find peace somehow, but I do blame them for not even trying to "fix" the child they brought into the world with the result being a slaughtered body. Lazy parenting is one of our biggest problems today.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#7 Apr 4, 2013
A Reader wrote:
I agree JA is a liar. But, are u saying that she lies about EVERYTHING? She NEVER tells the truth? I don't think so. The journal entries are months before the murder. I think she was writing down her true feelings.
I think her life is a lie, yes. The true sociopaths I've known lie about everything, even to themselves. If they went to a Walmart and you asked them where they were, they'd tell you Costco. They seem incapable of truth.

Were the journal entries that have just now surfaced written months before the murder? I don't know how you'd be sure. Where did they come from? They certainly are totally in line with Jodi's testimony; so much so that it makes me wonder when they were written.

I just don't know why, after all the detailed lies she's told, I would believe that now (when she's fighting for her life in court) the absolute truth suddenly appears. She has more motive to lie now than ever before.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 4, 2013
Hybrid, I understand why you blame Mom and Dad Arias for not trying to "fix" their daughter and the role it might have played in Alexander's death. It is easy to blame Bill and Sandy for not getting Jodi the help she needed. We do not know for a fact they did not try but it is reasonable to presume they did not. I believe she was three months shy of being 18 when she moved out of her parents' house but was still their responsibility. They failed. Is that why Jodi turned out the way she is?

I came from a difficult upbringing and my four other siblings had their own battles with our parents. The discipline we received was (especially in today's climate) physical abuse and us 'kids' never got the support/help we needed so we did not act out as we did in our late teens- early 20's. No one murdered anybody or ended up in jail. But we all turned out okay in spite of it all, living a happy life with responsibility.

The rest of the Arias children do not seem to be getting in trouble like Jodi.(Or maybe not yet?) On another site, a poster said something about nature and nurture. And sometimes a person can be a bad seed because it is in their nature, no matter the nurturing. I think Jodi Arias is such a person.

I agree with you that lazy parenting is one of society's biggest problems. I think you and I have more years to look back on than we have to look ahead, giving us a point of reference. I hope for a healthier future to those behind us.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#9 Apr 4, 2013
I'm listening to their statements now about how she's bipolar and mentally ill and her teenage history and wondering why they didn't think it was their responsibility to do something then. I think our generation has a stronger sense of responsibility than following generations, altogether. I get aggravated with people who get pets and then dispose of them or neglect them, too. If I did it I own it and see it through, for better or worse.

Her "dumb" sister has been in rehab for some type of substance abuse, and her little brother is openly smoking weed (should be legal, so no big deal except his age). Maybe they had more kids than they could handle. Maybe I just had wonderful parents and an awesome husband and shouldn't judge. I know he and I had good role models and worked very hard to emulate our parents even when it was difficult.

I see so many young parents now having babies and then tiring of it and dumping them on grandparents or the State so they can have a carefree life. I suppose it's made me cynical toward "taking the easy way out" and it seems like Jodi's parents did that in not addressing her possible illness.

Location hidden

#10 Apr 4, 2013
When Sandy Arias said "Of course I believed her but I questioned her about it" (re: Arias' trip to Mesa), I thought it spoke volumes. It also showed some insight in to what dysfunction was going on in the Arias household.

I see Bill Arias as not so much distancing himself but reacting like a man (no disrespect intended). Men and women are just wired differently, no better and no worse than the other, with each gender having its strengths and weaknesses. His reaction was of no issue to me. How you may react or respond to something may not be the same as someone else. He is also dealing with health issues so it may affect the way he responds to the situation. No excuse but I can see why Jodi is so detached, while Sandy responds in a way similar to what Jodi has learned.

It seems Mom and Dad Arias copped out in their parenting abilities. Maybe they were overwhelmed and/or did not know what to do (ignorance or lack of financial resources), in which case I would say they should have never had children but that is also an easy out. We do not always ask for what we are dealt and it takes backbone to deal with it, which some do not possess. Hence the troubles we have today. I know of no easy answer.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#11 Apr 4, 2013
Agree. My sister was killed and my mother cried constantly while my father was stoic. They both thought the other wasn't dealing with it in the correct way.

What I found interesting was how quickly Jodi answered her mother when asked if she was in Arizona by saying no, and she had the receipts to prove it. I was on the fence about premeditation, but I think that answer was very telling.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 4, 2013
Yeah, no kidding about Arias telling her mom she was not in Mesa. Almost like she was trying too hard to convince her mom she was not there.

The whole "I have gas receipts" bolsters the premeditation charge.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. My deepest condolences.
A Reader

Utica, NY

#13 Apr 4, 2013
I just don't blame the parents. Jodi committed this act as an adult. SHE needs to take responsibility for her own actions. Obviously, she HAS admitted the murder of TA.Even if he was calling it quits with her, he did not deserve to be murdered over it----especially, the over-kill. For whatever reason, JA went over the edge!

@Hybrid: sorry to hear about your sisters death.
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#14 Apr 5, 2013
Thanks, Reader and Rose, for your nice words. My sister was killed as a pedestrian by a drunk driver almost 25 years ago. It was difficult for the family and he spent 16 months in jail, mostly because of my family's LE and legal community connections and persistence. Otherwise, at that time, he would have probably walked away from it. Drunk driving wasn't viewed as harshly then as now.

On second thought, I'm going to have to back down a notch on blaming her parents as much. But it does seem that they took the easy way out by looking the other way rather than dealing with her when younger. Who knows if it would have prevented this or anything else in her life. It's easy to speculate on that from this end, but I honestly don't know enough to make such a strong statement about it or them.
Cock A Doodle

Spring, TX

#15 Apr 5, 2013
hybridlment wrote:
<quoted text>
I think her life is a lie, yes. The true sociopaths I've known lie about everything, even to themselves. If they went to a Walmart and you asked them where they were, they'd tell you Costco. They seem incapable of truth.
Were the journal entries that have just now surfaced written months before the murder? I don't know how you'd be sure. Where did they come from? They certainly are totally in line with Jodi's testimony; so much so that it makes me wonder when they were written.
I just don't know why, after all the detailed lies she's told, I would believe that now (when she's fighting for her life in court) the absolute truth suddenly appears. She has more motive to lie now than ever before.
Adult Children of Alcoholics (to include any type of substance abusers) often lie when it would be just as easy to tell the truth. They learn early on how to act their way through life. I'm also interested in the 600 page journal entries, the dates and how they surfaced. I don't really want to hear Ms. LaViolette interpret and give an impression of what Jodi wrote, but I bet she is licking her chops at the prospect of more hours she can testify and get $300.00 an hour. Let's challenge her to donate even 10% of the money she receives from this trial to charity.
Cock A Doodle

Spring, TX

#16 Apr 5, 2013
Part of what bothers me is that if Jodi's defense team manages to get her off, she may be able to marry, have children and have a life that Travis Alexander never got to have and will never get to have. I'm not so sure that the death penalty is the best punishment for her. I do, however, think that they need to insure that she never be released from prison. Look at the family who has lost a husband/father because of a clerical error that caused a criminal to be released. He had an agenda of going and killing. I'm not completely familiar with the case, but it makes one ponder if the death penalty is reasonable in that it might save the life of someone else who would lose their life if that person was either released, escaped or otherwise returned to life outside the structure of a prison.

Additionally, I do think that there should be more done to keep alcoholics/drug users off the highways/streets. This would also save lives.
A Reader

Utica, NY

#17 Apr 5, 2013
Jodi is her own worst enemy. In the parent tapes, her mom even said that they (parents) could never visit her where she was living or even ask any questions regarding her personal life. That says it all. Jodi created this mess on herself & took & ruined another life.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 5, 2013
@A Reader: Last night, you asked about thoughts on the Snow White theory. I said it went over my head, and what I meant by that was that it did not matter to me. LaViolette used it as a ploy to catch people's attention.(As in Snow White Abused because it might get more business. Again, more about the money than the so called truth.) I do not know if she really used it in her seminars. Seems, according to Martinez, she did but I know nothing about how LaV used it.

About Arias not allowing her parents to visit her at her home, I am curious to know why? Momma Arias said she (Jodi) was afraid they would snoop through her belongings. What is she so paranoid about?
hybridlment

Lexington, KY

#19 Apr 5, 2013
A Reader wrote:
Jodi created this mess on herself & took & ruined another life.
When all the fog clears, this is the bottom line.
A Reader

Utica, NY

#20 Apr 6, 2013
RamblingRose253 wrote:
@A Reader: Last night, you asked about thoughts on the Snow White theory. I said it went over my head, and what I meant by that was that it did not matter to me. LaViolette used it as a ploy to catch people's attention.(As in Snow White Abused because it might get more business. Again, more about the money than the so called truth.) I do not know if she really used it in her seminars. Seems, according to Martinez, she did but I know nothing about how LaV used it.
About Arias not allowing her parents to visit her at her home, I am curious to know why? Momma Arias said she (Jodi) was afraid they would snoop through her belongings. What is she so paranoid about?
From what was said by the parents as the video was rolling, JA didn't trust her parents after they called the Sheriff on her when she was in 8th grade growing marijuana. That's when they searched her room, etc. She never trusted her parents after that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prescott Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elvis Presley in Old Town Cottonwood Arizona Fri avonbyjewell 1
Topix General Curioisty Fri Suns 3
black hook up Fri dillysky 1
any girls from phx arizona wanna meet n hook up Thu badazz 2
best 5 star hotel in phoenix/scottsdale? Dec 18 Local Hotels 3
Arizona Synthetic Turf Company Morningstar Turf... (Sep '10) Dec 18 wendikraus 13
Review: Wifi Business Center Dec 18 jus17pin 1
Prescott Valley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Prescott Valley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Prescott Valley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Prescott Valley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:15 pm PST