Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

DIsgustingly Guilty

Dallas, TX

#2649 Apr 6, 2013
The man hater "expert" was so obviously anti men that she attempted to paint Travis as an abuser. Fill in the blanks people! When he was upset with her it was because she attempted manipulation with her cruel and obsessive games, and her stalking. Travis was the victim, not the ugly and manipulative Jodi!
DIsgustingly Guilty

Dallas, TX

#2650 Apr 6, 2013
LaViolette is a man hater. Google her!
Define Big

Spring, TX

#2652 Apr 6, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Daly_Bae...

Has anyone entertained the idea of paranoid schizophrenia in the case of
nefarious arias?

She kills someone she professes to love and then later feels the need to purchase a 9 mm to protect her against others who might go on a camping trip with her. Paranoia will destroy you.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2653 Apr 6, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank's Luv .. having my first cup, thinking about you:)
You're welcome LG, nice :) glad to hear that you saw your brother; that's very special.
Anoher Poster

Woodridge, IL

#2654 Apr 6, 2013
Jodi Arias Trial: Prosecutor Juan Martinez Bullies Defense Expert Witness with Fairy Tales

April 06, 2013 07:15 PM EDT

by Hope Carson

The Jodi Arias murder trial seems to be dragging on almost as long as the Fifty Shades of Grey casting wars, and now it's taken a much more bizarre turn. Belligerent prosecutor and celebrity wannabe Juan Martinez bullied defense expert witness Alyce LaViolette, not only by trying to cast doubt on her credentials, but also by grilling her about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. That's not a misprint. Apparently Martinez's motto is: If all else fails, resort to fairy tales.

For those whose command of late twentieth century California history is spotty or nonexistent, there was once an even more famous murder case in which an ex-cop named Dan White killed San Francisco's mayor Moscone and gay activist supervisor Harvey Milk. White was sentenced to only seven years in prison, and he served only five. His slap on the wrist was engineered by what came to be known as the "Twinkie Defense." In other words, he ate so much sugar—including but not limited to Hostess Twinkies—that he went literally fruitloops. The inane Twinkie drivel saved his life. Similarly, Martinez thinks he can put Arias to death by frothing at the mouth about a fictional female and seven little people. Good grief.

When trying to "force LaViolette to answer questions with yes or no answers," and raising his voice to a menacing rant failed to intimidate her, Martinez, growing angrier by the second, initiated a bizarre argument about whether "Snow White lived sadly in a shack or happily in a pleasant English cottage." The nearly apoplectic prosecutor was trying to rattle LaViolette by ridiculing a presentation she gives at conferences called "Was Snow White a Battered Woman?" LaViolette described the title as simply "catchy." But Martinez tried to make her a laughing stock by implying that LaViolette somehow sees all women—even fairy tale heroines—as more or less "abused." Ironically, Juan only succeeded in making himself look like a jerk. When LaViolette refused to be intimidated and asked him calmly if he was angry at her, the courtroom burst into laughter. It's a pity they didn't applaud. If they had, even a thick-headed egotist like Martinez might have backed off and behaved in a more professional manner.

Read more:

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action...
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2655 Apr 6, 2013
LG, good eve:) How are you?
I'm watching part 1 of Thurs. 4/4

Nurmi states that to believe that jurors aren't seeing any coverage is fantasy, and requests the sequestration of the jury. Judge denies request.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2656 Apr 6, 2013
LG, ok, the choking... not sure that would've actually happened, because a choke hold that causes the loss of consciousness is very serious... TA was strong and a choke hold that serious would've killed her, right?
* Another q: JA had spoken to LV many times about the abuse (before the trial started), so why was JA so cavalier when she testified about her involvement w/him, but now she appears to be sad about it while LV is testifying?
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2657 Apr 6, 2013
Not buying that TA choked her to cause LOC. That would mean simultaneous compression of both carotid arteries to stop blood flow... http://writersforensicsblog.wordpress.com/201...
JA embellished this event, IMO.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2658 Apr 6, 2013
wow TA had an infinite suppy of nasty terms for JA; he sure could dish it out, relentlessly. see 13:00 +++ 4/4
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2659 Apr 6, 2013
LG, Proof last 15 was breaking point:
TA was wound tighter than a top before she saw him the last time.
16 pages single space rant... OM he had some fierce anger towards her. Near the end of:

Charles

Minneapolis, MN

#2660 Apr 6, 2013
Now we get to see this unfold, this is a truly sad situation. Non lethal force should be promoted. I help keep families protected.

fourseasonswholesale.webs.com
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2661 Apr 7, 2013
sarah wrote:
This savage killer stalked her victim for a very long time- she staged a burglary at her grandparents home stealing ONE of the weapons she would use to destroy her victim- she drove 90 miles away to rent a vehicle- she turned her license plate upside down and removed the other one- This is no crime of passion- EVERYTHING was planned in advance because this woman was REJECTED and SPURNED.She was the aggressor sexually teaching her victim the use of KY and rectal sex- hardly the one being used.Ultimately the jury will decide what to do with this SAVAGE KILLER.To LA GUY- why are you ragging on the victim and his friends? contrary to your assertions that the killer was desired by all the victims friends and they could not get her- is ludicrous. You may desire hair dye and breast implants and strange scary behavior in woman but these folks certainly did not.Any man who keeps trolling a thread flapping his gums about what a good looking guy he is-no doubt ,in reality is small and inadequate.You think the camera loves this savage killer?Just think how that NEEDLE is going to love her-
I'm thinking LA "Guy" is really a battered Snow White.
LA Guy

United States

#2662 Apr 7, 2013
Good Day wrote:
LG, Proof last 15 was breaking point:
TA was wound tighter than a top before she saw him the last time.
16 pages single space rant... OM he had some fierce anger towards her. Near the end of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bycIESaow54XX
Goodmorn Luv:)

Thank's for the links, will check them out later today...we had a feel for this case early on, seeing factors most do not get or fefuse to entertain...she waned TA alive, something happen in the last Fifteen...also, Nurmi called it fancifull to believe that jurors are not watching media coverage, was unaware that he alo called for sequestration.

This Judge is a Phoney, in simple terms. If JA is convicted of higher charges, so damn many appeal issues.

You have done some great research...I have not, but had strong intuition on all of this, so have you

"Another Poster" brought up the Twinkie Defense and linked us to a great piere... we remember Dan White and that one...He was a former SF Cop, FF and on the Board of Supervisors. He ended up committing suicide a few years after he was release. "Another Poster" is an Enigma, with some great insight, but keeps everything tight as to any personal info. I inquired once, but was non responsive.

Have a great day. Talk this evening:)
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2663 Apr 7, 2013
Good Day wrote:
LG, ok, the choking... not sure that would've actually happened, because a choke hold that causes the loss of consciousness is very serious... TA was strong and a choke hold that serious would've killed her, right?
* Another q: JA had spoken to LV many times about the abuse (before the trial started), so why was JA so cavalier when she testified about her involvement w/him, but now she appears to be sad about it while LV is testifying?
I believe it takes 7 lbs of pressure to cut off air supply which is a dangerous game played during either erotic asphyxiation or autoerotic asphyxiation. Didn't Sidney Sheldon include that in one of his books?
LA Guy

United States

#2664 Apr 7, 2013
Good Day wrote:
Not buying that TA choked her to cause LOC. That would mean simultaneous compression of both carotid arteries to stop blood flow... http://writersforensicsblog.wordpress.com/201...
JA embellished this event, IMO.
Great point. A choke hold, particularaly cartoid, will render unconscious in seconds. It was regularly taught in the LA Police Academies (LAPD, LASD), but fell out of voque in the 80's, due to numerous civil rights lawsuits. Back in the day Choke Outs all day long, from combatants drunks to those mildly resisting arret. The late Daryl Gates, long time LAPD Chief, was lambasted on some statements he had made in support of Choke controls. Some entered an Urban Legend status. There was the Bar Arm Choke and the Csrtoid Choke holds ... I used both of them a lot.

As a side, we have all heard of chocking in Kinky Games ... that famous Kung Fu enigmatic actor(Dennis Carridean?) got taken out by one in a cheap Bangkok Hotel by some Ladyboy's...lol
Runs in the Family

Spring, TX

#2665 Apr 7, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You made a good case and I agree with much of it in a generic sense. I'm playing in the big leaque's here in LA, but will refrain from stating my professional and social background. Travis was playing the Svengali Dom, who became bent at first wooing her, even baptizing her (see pic) and indocrinating her into a religion, bringing her into his home as his live in gf, initiating her into a submissive sexual role and ultimately discarding and degrading her. All the while still allowing her access. This guy was a junior Jim Jone's or shades of the renegade Mormon character (Jeffs) doing time in Texas. Also keep in mind that he wad building a retinue of naive devoted followers. This case goes way beyond the generic sourned gf, friend with benefits scenario. Many here repeat the chronology of events, but fail to address Travis' cruel indoctrination and destruction of Jody's mental state.
Just because he baptized her does not mean he wanted to marry her.
You mention the FLDS Warren Jeffs. If you want to compare and contrast him
to Travis, just let me get a cup of strong coffee before we begin. Some have said
that Travis was able to portray a more $$$ prestigious lifestyle than he really had.
He started an LLC company in 2007 or maybe before that. His home was built in 2004. I am not certain exactly when or how he was able to afford a 250,000 home except maybe he had an interest only mortgage for the first three years and then got in hot water the fourth year which would have been 2008. He was telling Jodi he might lose his house and she didn't even care. If she wasn't living there, why would she care? Maybe that was one of the ways he wooed women initially...house and BMW, all props.

Your theory has a hole in it. Darryl Brewer noticed a change in Jodi BEFORE she met Travis and I would imagine he was relieved to live somewhere she wasn't. I don't know if Brewer was the one who initiated JAA into anal sex, but she was not an anal virgin when she met TA. JA told TA that she was game for almost any kind of fantasy he could come up with. On the recorded phone call, he said he used a tootsie pop until there was nothing left and pop rocks, but he didn't like those because they were messy. It seemed from the phone call that they switched off who was dominant. Maybe that's a dangerous game to play.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2666 Apr 7, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank's for the links, will check them out later today...we had a feel for this case early on, seeing factors most do not get or fefuse to entertain...she waned TA alive, something happen in the last Fifteen...also, Nurmi called it fancifull to believe that jurors are not watching media coverage, was unaware that he alo called for sequestration.
This Judge is a Phoney, in simple terms. If JA is convicted of higher charges, so damn many appeal issues.
You have done some great research...I have not, but had strong intuition on all of this, so have you
"Another Poster" brought up the Twinkie Defense and linked us to a great piere... we remember Dan White and that one...He was a former SF Cop, FF and on the Board of Supervisors. He ended up committing suicide a few years after he was release. "Another Poster" is an Enigma, with some great insight, but keeps everything tight as to any personal info. I inquired once, but was non responsive.
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi LG, Good morning :) I'll try to check back after 8 :) Have a great day.
If you didn't see this before:
July 16, 2008 Det. Flores interrogates Jodi (49 min.)* He has the patience of Job... what our LE have to deal with, amazing how calm he is... a God given gift that some men have to handle such horrific situations to protect the rest of us, and get justice. She would drive me crazy. Seriously, WT, she says other people were there, but they know where her family is, so she doesn't want to say more... ok, she's in police custody, everyone's safe... I wouldn't be able to remain patient w/her. Det. Flores is very impressive.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2667 Apr 7, 2013
???? oops :) copy/pasted too much

Since: Jan 13

Bundoora, Australia

#2668 Apr 7, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you hear this stuff?
day 10 part 3 on youtube.

it was not in front of the jury.
Good Day

Lincoln, CA

#2670 Apr 7, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good eve LG, I must give you credit for "seeing" that there was more to the whole story... your professional insight gave me things to ponder and review :)
Q: Was she always odd, or did she become odd from the psychological, emotional, and physical abuse, which she unwittingly played a role in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prescott Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jay’s dispen-sary. A d d y s IRs n XR etc 11 hr paulo 2
Prescott (Nov '15) Sat bob 2
When is McCain going to die ? Sat Bloodonmyhands 4
Essential Oils (Sep '17) Fri bob 2
News Meet an Arizona Summit Law School graduate who ... Fri walter reed 2
prostitutes on 27th ave (Jan '10) Fri george orwell 158
Is George Orwell's Dystopian prophecy coming true? (Jun '13) Fri zio doublespeak 4

Prescott Valley Jobs

Personal Finance

Prescott Valley Mortgages