Jodi Arias claims self-defense as mur...

Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins

There are 7233 comments on the KTVK Phoenix story from Jan 2, 2013, titled Jodi Arias claims self-defense as murder trial begins. In it, KTVK Phoenix reports that:

A defense attorney says an Arizona woman charged with stabbing and shooting her boyfriend to death in 2008 acted in self-defense because he was violent and abusive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVK Phoenix.

jdoe

London, KY

#2443 Mar 28, 2013
thought i saw 2 of dr.drews nightly guests getting autographs,wonder how many jurors saw it? someone was filming it,it was on hln.
jdoe

London, KY

#2444 Mar 28, 2013
that is the reason court is in recess today,but of course some of the hln formers sais it was SHOCKING that jA had a migraine and caused the recess! wonder why all of them are formers? they still look young.

Since: Jan 13

Bundoora, Australia

#2445 Mar 28, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>
great points :) Do you think the Mormons were on to him? maybe they thought he could damage their church... his myspace comments posted by his 2 friends were perverse.. nevermind if Jodi's concerns were ever taken to them directly, he had some issues on his own site. And, I saw Gus on Greta's interview, seems there was a lot more going on w/him, and people are afraid to come forward. http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/video/jod...
good link

very interesting. As much as I am caught up in this trial. I feel sick to my stomach that she will be punished beyond what is required because of the court of public opinion.

Bundoora, Australia

#2446 Mar 28, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
Anyone catching reports of Martinez becoming somewhat of a celebrity on the court steps, the public asking to take his pic and for his autograph.
beyond unprofessional.
I hope this comes back to bite him.

Bundoora, Australia

#2447 Mar 28, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I know luv, missed you today:)
hey, you two! get a room.

Bundoora, Australia

#2448 Mar 28, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
Just tuned in, about 10 mins of Alyce L...she is impressive and a lot to learn from her...interesting on the chronic apprehension factor ... also that certain types of guys if they ave a postive appearance and way about them, perceived the good guy (like TA), get away with a hell of a lot abuse...delaying the victim from reporting or seeking help ... in some cases, it's cumulative in nature and the victim very well can snap and lash back
Beyond a reasonable doubt is shouting out!
I have seen a few of Travis friends being interviewed and they say he was always on the hunt. He would chat up girls all the time. I can see them as wishing they had the knack. They probably hung around hoping to pick up the crumbs.
LA Guy

United States

#2449 Mar 28, 2013
Pharmabill wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen a few of Travis friends being interviewed and they say he was always on the hunt. He would chat up girls all the time. I can see them as wishing they had the knack. They probably hung around hoping to pick up the crumbs.
Always enjoy your insight...i previousloy posted to this phenomena ... his Mormon buddies were in awe of him, wanted to be the guy he was and aslo wanted the girls he had, like the smoldering enigmatic Jody, but she was out of their leaque...thus the animus towards her early on...TA had a big ego and was enjoying the drama and stature it added to his persona
LA Guy

United States

#2450 Mar 28, 2013
Pharmabill wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, you two! get a room.
Funny
LA Guy

United States

#2451 Mar 28, 2013
Pharmabill wrote:
<quoted text>
good link
very interesting. As much as I am caught up in this trial. I feel sick to my stomach that she will be punished beyond what is required because of the court of public opinion.
Political ramifications in Mesa and grater Phoenix AZ, large Morjon poopulation and conservative in nature,k particularly when an exotic Ltian kills her highky regrded white Mormon BF. If this case went down in the bwoels of the Ghetto or Barrio in greaerer Phoneix, it would have been charged as a standard garen variety Manslaughter, about a 15 year max or less sentence.

JA was supposedly ready to plead guilty to a Manslaughter, but they wanted to further stack the deck against her, with a near life sentence. About the only thing they woukd have waived was the death penalty.
Tex Empires

Spring, TX

#2452 Mar 28, 2013
Pharmabill wrote:
<quoted text>
good link
I read on another link here that a girlfriend of Travis Alexander's died of a gunshot wound to the back of the head. It was ruled suicide. I realize that this is not the case being tried, but if she was involved in that death as well, what would you say then? Do you want her to get off like Caylee's mom?
Good Day

San Francisco, CA

#2453 Mar 28, 2013
Hello LG from the City by the Bay :)
Good Day

San Francisco, CA

#2454 Mar 28, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny
How are you?:)
Good Day

San Francisco, CA

#2455 Mar 28, 2013
LA Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone doubt there is a God when reflecting on natures beauty ... I find myself recently attracted to some Catholic Rituals, though I had no interest in them for years..strange since I find myself following Eastern Winds (thought)
Have a peacefull trip:)
:) Those winds are blowing westerly, now. Godspeed LG. I'll bet the apostles would've liked to walk on the hills of SM with you. You have a good heart, good guy.
Thank you :)
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2456 Mar 28, 2013
Jodi Arias' Domestic Violence Expert Says Email Proves Travis Alexander Was Abusive

Posted: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT | Updated: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT

Jodi Arias’ defense team may have scored its first big win Thursday when a domestic violence expert testified about previously undisclosed emails from Travis Alexander’s close friends that indicate he had a history of being abusive.

"They have basically advised Ms. Arias to move on from the relationship ... that Mr. Alexander has been abusive to women." psychotherapist Alyce LaViolette testified.

LaViolette was referencing email exchanges between Arias, Alexander and his longtime friends Chris and Sky Hughes.

LaViolette was not allowed to quote from the emails and they were not shown to the jury, but she was allowed to paraphrase the content and offer her opinion on it.

"The question with regard to whether or not the Hugheses thought Mr. Alexander had previously been abusive with women, is that important to you?" Arias’ defense attorney, Jennifer Willmott, asked LaViolette.

"Yes, it is," LaViolette replied.

"Does that help you to formulate an opinion ultimately about the type of relationship this ended up to be?" asked Willmott.

"Yes it does," said LaViolette.

"And so, in this e-mail, is there information about whether or not Mr. Alexander's closest friends thought he had issues with women?" Willmott asked.

"Yes, there is," said LaViolette.

Within the email exchange, Sky Hughes also wrote, according to Laviolette, that she would not allow Alexander to date her sister.

"They [the Hughes] thought he needed counseling, they also indicated that they thought he was greatly affected by his childhood and he was afraid to look at it because he was afraid it would make him look weak," said LaViolette.

"There was reference to a particular woman and his manipulation of that woman." LaViolette said. "There was information about Mr. Alexander calling Ms. Arias a skank and then acting like it was a joke. There was information about the way he ignored her in public places and would not allow her to put pictures of them up in places where other people could see them. Just basic ways he treated her, or they felt he mistreated her ... that they indicated were abusive.”

Prosecutor Juan Martinez objected to much of the defense expert's testimony, calling it was hearsay. However, the judge overruled the majority of the objections.

There is more ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/jodi...
Good Day

San Francisco, CA

#2457 Mar 28, 2013
Another Poster wrote:
Jodi Arias' Domestic Violence Expert Says Email Proves Travis Alexander Was Abusive
Posted: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT | Updated: 03/28/2013 7:34 pm EDT
Jodi Arias’ defense team may have scored its first big win Thursday when a domestic violence expert testified about previously undisclosed emails from Travis Alexander’s close friends that indicate he had a history of being abusive.
"They have basically advised Ms. Arias to move on from the relationship ... that Mr. Alexander has been abusive to women." psychotherapist Alyce LaViolette testified.
LaViolette was referencing email exchanges between Arias, Alexander and his longtime friends Chris and Sky Hughes.
LaViolette was not allowed to quote from the emails and they were not shown to the jury, but she was allowed to paraphrase the content and offer her opinion on it.
"The question with regard to whether or not the Hugheses thought Mr. Alexander had previously been abusive with women, is that important to you?" Arias’ defense attorney, Jennifer Willmott, asked LaViolette.
"Yes, it is," LaViolette replied.
"Does that help you to formulate an opinion ultimately about the type of relationship this ended up to be?" asked Willmott.
"Yes it does," said LaViolette.
"And so, in this e-mail, is there information about whether or not Mr. Alexander's closest friends thought he had issues with women?" Willmott asked.
"Yes, there is," said LaViolette.
Within the email exchange, Sky Hughes also wrote, according to Laviolette, that she would not allow Alexander to date her sister.
"They [the Hughes] thought he needed counseling, they also indicated that they thought he was greatly affected by his childhood and he was afraid to look at it because he was afraid it would make him look weak," said LaViolette.
"There was reference to a particular woman and his manipulation of that woman." LaViolette said. "There was information about Mr. Alexander calling Ms. Arias a skank and then acting like it was a joke. There was information about the way he ignored her in public places and would not allow her to put pictures of them up in places where other people could see them. Just basic ways he treated her, or they felt he mistreated her ... that they indicated were abusive.”
Prosecutor Juan Martinez objected to much of the defense expert's testimony, calling it was hearsay. However, the judge overruled the majority of the objections.
There is more ...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/jodi...
There it is, all coming together, right in front of all the Media clowns. And, the Hughes are toast nowm, bevause they basically lied on the stand about any concerns regarding Travis. They tried to make Jodi the ill-adjusted one.
Wow.... Hey, NG, "Bombshell tonight, you should've withheld commentary until after the trial had run its course."

Bundoora, Australia

#2458 Mar 28, 2013
Tex Empires wrote:
<quoted text>
I read on another link here that a girlfriend of Travis Alexander's died of a gunshot wound to the back of the head. It was ruled suicide. I realize that this is not the case being tried, but if she was involved in that death as well, what would you say then? Do you want her to get off like Caylee's mom?
I am aware of that case.
The girl is Ashley Thompson (nee Reed I believe). She is noted in detective flores investigative report. She pointed the finger at her ex husband Dustin. Ashley is a friend on myspace with Travis but Dustin is not. Further Dustin used to go to fight night at Travis home which was a boys night.
You can find the obituary of Ashley online. The image is of a blonde girl. The facebook pages is of a brown haired girl. I wondered if they might be two different girls with the same name but in flores report he said she was red head. The obit picture looks like strawberry blonde colouring.
The head wound she sustained in the suicide is curious. You see films where people aim for their forehead or swallow the gun. on the website JAII they tracked down the coroners report. Don't know how they find these things but maybe they can get possession of the police report. Was someone a witness? What was the gun? Caliber?
I have tried to keep an open mind about this and will listen to somethings that might be off track. I don't have time to watch the trial. Today I saw about the lady testifying ALV for the defence. She was able to read from emails but the emails are not admitted. I bothered to go back to day 10 part 3 of the trial with Chris Hughes in the chair

I have to say I was not impressed. He testified for the prosecution but I think he gave a score for the defence. He took ages to read an email he wrote regarding Travis abusive behaviour towards Jodi but I got the feeling he was trying to double think what to answer. He never refuted that he wrote the emails. Perhaps Jodi had hacked Travis account at that time thus Travis response was not considered for evidence but certainly Hughes transcript should be submitted.

Bundoora, Australia

#2459 Mar 28, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>
There it is, all coming together, right in front of all the Media clowns. And, the Hughes are toast nowm, bevause they basically lied on the stand about any concerns regarding Travis. They tried to make Jodi the ill-adjusted one.
Wow.... Hey, NG, "Bombshell tonight, you should've withheld commentary until after the trial had run its course."
I agree. I haven't watched the trial so I was missing some pieces of the puzzle.
Here is chris hughes testimony

Hughes and his wife make me want to vomit that they would lie. They became media whores. I hope that this lying has repercussions for his business in the future.
Gus Searcy has been in the media and he has said a few people do not want to testify because of how he was treated but they do know of more violence to other women.
More infuriating for me is Travis sister Tanisha who wants to see the needle go in Jodi's arm. The alexander family are all dysfunctional.
Good Day

San Francisco, CA

#2460 Mar 28, 2013
Need to sign off :) Have a great eve, & day tomorrow all :)
Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2461 Mar 28, 2013
Good Day wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope Alyce LaViolette is not the last witness to testify for the defense. LaViolette was not allowed to directly quote from the Hughes' emails because of the hearsay rule. I hope the defense will call the Hughes to testify, they are on their witness list.

Chris Hughes being questioned by Nurmi outside the presence of the jury:

Another Poster

Elmhurst, IL

#2462 Mar 28, 2013
Rule 803. Hearsay Exceptions; Availability of Declarant Immaterial

http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/e803.htm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prescott Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 2 hr Augie 1,142
we are suppliers of froozen chicken feet in l... (Mar '13) Apr 23 Song 47
Armpit Airline Apr 22 Citizen 2
When are they going to make movie about Pat Til... Apr 20 Whiny1 3
News Phoenix Police Officer Patrick Larrison, Bully ... (May '11) Apr 17 Bro 34
News Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) Apr 15 EAGLE EYE1 193,135
Officer Emilio Rodriguez (Sep '07) Apr 4 nnono 7

Prescott Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Prescott Valley Mortgages