H&R Block Emerald Loan
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Looking

Salem, AR

#1 Dec 18, 2010
I applied for it yesterday and was denied due my credit score. No sh*t I don't have the best credit, if I did, I wouldn't be coming to ya'll looking for a loan against my income tax return. It was never mentioned to me when I called to ask about the terms that a credit check would be ran. If I had known that I wouldn't have wasted their time or mine. So here's a FYI for those who hear about it and get hopeful. It's not solely based on income. Good look to the rest of the people out there just trying to get by

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wow

Waterloo, Canada

#2 Dec 18, 2010
Now don't you have to file your taxes with them at tax time? Even though you didn't receive the loan, you are still charged fees for it I bet!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Looking

Salem, AR

#3 Dec 18, 2010
They have no way of charging me as I didn't give them a debit or credit card. The woman offered me some type of $50 gift card to come back and file with them. I declined. I won't be using their services any time soon.
guess

United States

#4 Dec 19, 2010
I filed bankrupt this past year...I believe I was discharged in May and I got approved. And since I done my bankruptcy, nothing has helped my credit out...if anything my student loans has made it look worse. Now I didn't get much as I have in previous years but I usually make almost double to what I made this year.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Looking

Salem, AR

#5 Dec 20, 2010
That's crazy. Thanks for nothing H&R Block
Philip

Alexander, AR

#6 Dec 21, 2010
Use The Ledger Company at 2424 E Matthews. I have used these guys for many years. Great people and quick.
Lucy

Mound, MN

#7 Dec 30, 2010
Many people with bad credit are approved for the Emerald Advance. If you have never used H&R Block before then there is a better chance that you will be denied if you have bad credit. This will start a relationship with Block and if you return to do your taxes and regularly use their services it is possible to be approved for the advance loans even though you have bad credit.

The average interest fee charged is about $30. In the past the fees for the Block loans were sky high. They have been lowering fees for the past few years and they are actually offering a Free 1040 EZ tax return this year. There will also be a new type of loan offered at tax time and the max interest fee is $30. And yes in case you are wondering....I work for Block.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#8 Dec 30, 2010
Lucy wrote:
Many people with bad credit are approved for the Emerald Advance. If you have never used H&R Block before then there is a better chance that you will be denied if you have bad credit. This will start a relationship with Block and if you return to do your taxes and regularly use their services it is possible to be approved for the advance loans even though you have bad credit.
The average interest fee charged is about $30. In the past the fees for the Block loans were sky high. They have been lowering fees for the past few years and they are actually offering a Free 1040 EZ tax return this year. There will also be a new type of loan offered at tax time and the max interest fee is $30. And yes in case you are wondering....I work for Block.
I get my taxes done every year at H&R Block and I get the Emerald Advance every year as well and my credit sucks. I get the advance so my kids have an awesome Christmas but I've never been denied the advance before. I've actually never seen anyone get turned down for the advance, anytime I've ever gone it's been packed and everyone walks out smiling so I know they got it too.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
wondering

Waterloo, Canada

#10 Dec 31, 2010
Are they open today? Which H&R block are you using?
Zak

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Dec 31, 2010
why would you decline a $50 gift card. all u have to do is get your taxes done there. You would be filing else where anyway, now you get $50 for free, use it to pay for the return. You were declined the advance because you don't have a relationship with hr block, has nothing to do with your score.
Michelle

United States

#12 Jan 1, 2011
Lucy wrote:
Hi, I've done my taxes online with hrblock for the past few years. Should I most likely be approved even with bad credit?
Jasimine

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Jan 3, 2011
I went to go get an Emerald Advance today. They said I had too many revolving lines of credit. Yes my credit cards are high but they are paid on time even if it is the monthly fee. So they denied me. They said they changed a lot of their acceptance terms this year and many banks are scared to give out advances. They did give me the 50$ card if I come back. I'm just curious as to how much it's going to end up costing me to file my taxes, even though they are simple they are 1040 EZ. But it was just a big waste of time. I'd suggest just waiting it out or go to Jackson Hewitt or do it online if you have bad credit.
Looking

Salem, AR

#14 Jan 3, 2011
wondering wrote:
Are they open today? Which H&R block are you using?
I used the one on Monroe, I think it was. It's behind the police station. They were open Monday-Friday from 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning until 5:00 pm
Looking

Salem, AR

#15 Jan 3, 2011
Jasimine wrote:
They did give me the 50$ card if I come back. I'm just curious as to how much it's going to end up costing me to file my taxes, even though they are simple they are 1040 EZ.
That's my thought as well. Why take a $50 card if they're going to charge me a lot more to do my taxes. I have a program that I can do my own taxes at home.
nana

United States

#16 Jan 4, 2011
HR Block does the the first time you use them but next year you can get your loan even before christmas they did good by me i got back 6,300 not bad at all I will never in life use California tax services again they over charged me and gave me the run around for 30 days grr...
15 Yr Tax Pro

United States

#17 Jan 4, 2011
As an HRB employee perhaps I can address some of the rumors about the Emerald Advance.

When we begin our interviews, we inform clients that a credit check is involved. However, that is just one of the criteria looked at. There are others considered:

1. Are you currently employed?
2. Did you have at least $10K in earned income...unemployment or disability isn't a positive factor here.
3. Do you have an estimated refund coming back of at least $1,000?

Once we get to the decision screen, if a client has been rejected for the EA, we print off a copy of a letter that gives a brief explanation of the primary reason and the addresses and phone numbers of places the client can contact to find out more, if necessary.

One note about amounts: If you went to a *physical HRB location* last year to get your taxes done, then per this program you are considered a "returning client" and the largest amount of Emerald Advance you can be considered for is $1000.

If you went elsewhere last year or even used HRB online to prepare your taxes, you are a "new client" and can be considered for a maximum of $350 in EA.

I have had clients get rejected and claim they have "great credit" and have had clients get approved who confide to me that (in their opinion) they have "horrible credit". Try predicting the final outcomes of interviews (as I do in my head when I start) and then seeing the final results...it's impossible to guess who will receive what type of response.

Little Rock, AR

#18 Jan 5, 2011
As a returning self employed client, what are the chances of an emerald loan. I have already estimated I will be getting aprox. 7k back in a regular return.
15 Yr Tax Pro

Columbia, MO

#19 Jan 5, 2011
The source of earned income doesn't matter.

Whether you are self-employed or have W-2 based income is irrelevant...the system will evaluate it the same. If you are a returning client, they should have all of your 2009 data on file....just bring a good-faith estimate of your income and expenses for 2010 and 'we' will input that.

Also, the IRS goes "live" next week (Thursday) and starts accepting returns. Block is not offering Refund Anticipation Loans this year (thanks to the OCC issuing a decision at the last minute in 2010 per HSBC) but will have RAC's and a new product...the Emerald Loan.

Contact your local HRB for more information.

Good luck
Fallon

United States

#20 Jan 10, 2011
Thanks for the information, i will try and go do it tomarrow, as they are stopping on the 13th of Jan..? I have had a medical condition preventing me from going to work so hopefully i will get approved.
Dad

Altoona, PA

#21 Jan 11, 2011
If i claim my 2 kids on my return...can the mom of my kids still claim head of household? she lives alone witht the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prairie Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open Letter To All Whiny Obama-Hating "Commie"... 11 min Guest 3
trapped gas 21 min help 1
need fun stuff to do 26 min listen 2
Former burger joint name ? 31 min guest 11
tummy tuck 1 hr guest 1
Demos BQ 1 hr Rupert B Jigglebo... 18
Hillary Voter Registration Fraud Caught on Camera? 1 hr guest 13

Prairie Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance