Authorities: Former Deputy Had Booze and Guns in Car Before Fatal Crash

May 9, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Madison.com

“It was some hard liquor. We don't have the information if he was actually drinking alone; with family at home; at a bar.”

Officials say Mark Hamele, a former Dane Co. Sheriff's Deputy, is to blame in a crash which killed 3 people this weekend Authorities said a former Dane County Sheriff's Sergeant had an open container of alcohol ... via Madison.com

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Jan 16, 2013
Rudy Bott

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

So sad
Mary Allen

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2007

I had thought Mr Hamele was getting better and then suddenly he dies a day before he was going to be charged with 8 felonies. I find that pretty suspicious. What internal injuries did he die from? He said to emergency personel at the accident site that he did not know what happened because he was so hopped up on pain killers. Did they find drugs in his system too? I also have wondered if he was not on a suicide mission that day....did he have the loaded hand gun to shoot himself and then couldnt bring himself to do it so he just turned his vehicle into the oncomming lane not caring if he killed anyone else because he was so out of it. Does anyone know how Todd Youngs is?
Sadie Genett

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2007

The 15 year old girl who died Samantha was in my class. When i came to school and had found out that a fellow classmate who i talked to every day had been killed i was devastated. and to know that her best friend had to find out by opening her locker and not finding Sam's stuff there was so hard. And to answer about Todd, i believe he was released from the hospital. When my friends and i had found out that Mr. Hamele had died we were sad for a while and then thought that if he had the nerve to drink so early in the morning and kill three innocent people he deserved to die himself.
The Roost Portage WI

Janesville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mary Allen wrote:
I had thought Mr Hamele was getting better and then suddenly he dies a day before he was going to be charged with 8 felonies. I find that pretty suspicious. What internal injuries did he die from? He said to emergency personel at the accident site that he did not know what happened because he was so hopped up on pain killers. Did they find drugs in his system too? I also have wondered if he was not on a suicide mission that day....did he have the loaded hand gun to shoot himself and then couldnt bring himself to do it so he just turned his vehicle into the oncomming lane not caring if he killed anyone else because he was so out of it. Does anyone know how Todd Youngs is?
Mark (Mr. Hamele) was in a coma up until his death. He carried the gun because he was a former Dane CO. Sheriff and felt the need to carry one. He did so all the time... no signs of suicidal thoughts. He was a very nice man who was injured in the line of duty as a sheriff. His injuries forced an early retirement and lead to pain killer addiction. When the pain killers no longer worked he turned to alcohol. His family that he left behind, now has to try and live down what happened, while keeping their good memories of him alive. I just wanted to clarify that NO he was not contemplating suicide. He was driving drunk illegally.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Poynette Discussions

Search the Poynette Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) Jul 28 Aaron Salmon 7,006
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 21 selfridge 451
Phox - 'Phox' Jul 11 Dr Teeth 2
Debate: Drinking Age - Baraboo, WI (Dec '11) Jun '14 Sara 11
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
DNR trying to shut down Crystal Lake Campground Jun '14 Gary Campbell 1
WI Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in W... (Oct '10) Apr '14 Tealiban faschists 45
•••
•••
•••
•••

Poynette Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Poynette People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••