Jury to decide if pastor's paddling o...

Jury to decide if pastor's paddling of son was child abuse

There are 43 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 24, 2008, titled Jury to decide if pastor's paddling of son was child abuse. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A Columbia County jury will be asked to decide whether a pastor who spanked his 12-year-old son with a paddle committed child abuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

madgranny

Eagle, WI

#25 Oct 26, 2008
What is so bad about this case is Jane Kohlway (Columbia county DA) did not prosecute a women who let her 5 year old daughter spend the night at a convicted sex offender's house! If that is not abuse - I don't know what is. Check it out on the Portage Daily Register.
Rick

Racine, WI

#26 Oct 26, 2008
I was a member of this pastor's church. He is a great guy and an awesome father. The government needs to stay out of parenting.

“Oh Sheeeit...They Elected Who?”

Since: Oct 08

Socialist Republic of America

#27 Oct 26, 2008
Now there's taxpayer dollars being spent wisely. A jury trial has to cost several $1,000. And the poor pastor, I can't imagine what his legal bill will cost, much less the emotional cost on his family inflicted by what sounds to be an out=of-control DA.

Is the DA an elected position in WI? Could this perhaps be a means of political posturing?
SunShine

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Oct 26, 2008
I think I'm begining to have Joy Joy feelings.
Mother in Law

Pine River, MN

#30 Oct 26, 2008
I know first hand that Barry and Michelle are raising their children well. I wish I had the means to pay all the fee's for Barry. Barry is a wonderful father and Michelle is a wonderful mother. Not abuseive to any of their children. If only every family could have the love and guidance their children have.
danang1

Richland, MS

#31 Oct 27, 2008
This makes "The People's Republic" of Wisconsin look pretty stupid.
Madgranny

Eagle, WI

#32 Oct 27, 2008
The Last Word wrote:
How did anyone find out about this?
The Poynette School District notified Social Services - not because they suspected abuse but because a "instrument was used and is illegal in the State of Wisconsin" which turns out not to be true.

“Stop Global Whining”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#33 Oct 27, 2008

Since: Feb 08

Big Lake, MN

#34 Oct 30, 2008
Scoff wrote:
http://www.landoverbaptist.org /news0303/spanking.html
Be careful. Some people might think it's real. ;-)
Mandy

De Forest, WI

#35 Nov 2, 2008
A teacher in the Poynette Elementary school turned him in after she was told by the spanked ones younger brother that he heard 2 swats and then crying!
Madgranny

Ripon, WI

#36 Nov 3, 2008
Call and let the District Attorney know how you feel about her bringing charges against a father for spanking his children! Tell her to keep bureaucratic nose out of the private affairs of the American people.
Columbia County District Attorney Jane Kohlwey
wow

Olathe, KS

#37 Nov 3, 2008
I work with abused children on a daily basis, and I hate cases like this. It makes it harder for the children who are really being abused to find justice in the legal system.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#40 Nov 3, 2008
Uh...no thanks, Sir Spam-a-lot.
Jazmine

Ripon, WI

#41 May 6, 2009
The Pastor is going to trial on July 16th. As for the boy going to the hospital the mother took him there on her own to have it documented that there was no 4 inch bruising which the investigator stated in his report. The ER Dr is going to testify for the defense because the child was not abused.
C Boudreau

United States

#42 May 27, 2009
What is the link to your reffrence?
madgranny wrote:
What is so bad about this case is Jane Kohlway (Columbia county DA) did not prosecute a women who let her 5 year old daughter spend the night at a convicted sex offender's house! If that is not abuse - I don't know what is. Check it out on the Portage Daily Register.
[email protected]
M de Sade

Titusville, FL

#43 May 27, 2009
What's the problem?
madgranny

Baraboo, WI

#44 May 29, 2009
Mother gets probation for letting child stay with sex offender
By Shannon Green, Daily Register | Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:45 pm
A Mother of a girl sexually assaulted by a registered sex offender will serve five years on probation after she was found guilty of failing to protect her child.
The 45-year-old Poynette woman pleaded no contest Monday in Columbia County Circuit Court to a felony charge of failing to act in the sexual assault of a child. The Daily Register is not identifying her to protect the identity of her daughter.
She must also undergo parenting classes and counseling.
The sentence was part of a plea agreement between Assistant District Attorney Linda Hoffman and the woman's defense attorney, Maura O'Connell Melka of Baraboo.
Hoffman said such cases are relatively rare, but that she feels it is important to prosecute parents who knowingly allow abuse to continue against their children.
"Parents need to be held accountable," she said.
The woman allegedly allowed her 6-year-old daughter to stay overnight in 2006 with registered sex offender Kevin R. Grinde, who lives at the Inch Heights Trailer Park in the town of Dekorra, according to a criminal complaint.
Grinde reportedly performed oral sex on the girl several times and took photos of the girl while she was undressed, according to court records.
The woman reportedly told authorities that she knew Grinde was a registered sex offender when she let the girl stay overnight with him, according to a criminal complaint. As a condition of his parole, Grinde was not allowed to have contact with children.
The woman allegedly told authorities she lied to friends, family, caretakers, law enforcement and probation and paroleagents about the situation, the complaint stated.
Grinde was sentenced in September to 30 years in prison followed by 15 years of extended supervision after he pleaded no contest to one charge of first-degree sexual assault of a child.
Shannon

Baraboo, WI

#45 May 29, 2009
I read that article. What a shame, the little girl will have a life time of pain and suffering.... but the Lord can help her if she allows Him too and help others that have been through the same thing. That's what I did.
how does that help

Minneapolis, MN

#46 May 29, 2009
Shannon wrote:
I read that article. What a shame, the little girl will have a life time of pain and suffering.... but the Lord can help her if she allows Him too and help others that have been through the same thing. That's what I did.
How does religious superstition help?
Level Headed Mother

Eau Claire, WI

#47 May 29, 2009
madgranny wrote:
Mother gets probation for letting child stay with sex offender
By Shannon Green, Daily Register | Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 10:45 pm
A Mother of a girl sexually assaulted by a registered sex offender will serve five years on probation after she was found guilty of failing to protect her child.
The 45-year-old Poynette woman pleaded no contest Monday in Columbia County Circuit Court to a felony charge of failing to act in the sexual assault of a child. The Daily Register is not identifying her to protect the identity of her daughter.
She must also undergo parenting classes and counseling.
The sentence was part of a plea agreement between Assistant District Attorney Linda Hoffman and the woman's defense attorney, Maura O'Connell Melka of Baraboo.
Hoffman said such cases are relatively rare, but that she feels it is important to prosecute parents who knowingly allow abuse to continue against their children.
"Parents need to be held accountable," she said.
The woman allegedly allowed her 6-year-old daughter to stay overnight in 2006 with registered sex offender Kevin R. Grinde, who lives at the Inch Heights Trailer Park in the town of Dekorra, according to a criminal complaint.
Grinde reportedly performed oral sex on the girl several times and took photos of the girl while she was undressed, according to court records.
The woman reportedly told authorities that she knew Grinde was a registered sex offender when she let the girl stay overnight with him, according to a criminal complaint. As a condition of his parole, Grinde was not allowed to have contact with children.
The woman allegedly told authorities she lied to friends, family, caretakers, law enforcement and probation and paroleagents about the situation, the complaint stated.
Grinde was sentenced in September to 30 years in prison followed by 15 years of extended supervision after he pleaded no contest to one charge of first-degree sexual assault of a child.
Another nice level headed Single Parent Mother. The Family Law Courts say they operate on "The Best Interests of the Child(ren)" With all of these children being abused and neglected by these Single Parent Mothers hasn't anyone figured out that the Single Parent Mothers are just an easy mark for the attorneys, judges, and the other horrors of Family Law to steal all of the family assets using the I, Me, I, Me, I Me, etc. Single Parent Mother as the easy patsy????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Poynette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Johhnie Palmer Nov '16 IMPORTANT 1
Debate: Nuclear Power - Poynette, WI (Dec '12) Jan '13 storm warning sux 3
News When Is Spanking Child Abuse? (Oct '08) Jan '13 Dave 79
Debate: Farm Chores - Poynette, WI (Dec '12) Dec '12 Storm Warning 1
Debate: 9/11 Anniversary - Poynette, WI (Sep '11) Sep '11 Patriot 1
Why can't Poynette develop downtown businesses? (Apr '11) May '11 Strawman 3
News Jury To Decide Whether Paddling Was Child Abuse (Oct '08) Apr '11 tamius 9

Poynette Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Poynette Mortgages