Powhatan Moves Forward with Walmart - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

Despite lots of opposition , including a petition with 800 signatures and dozens of citizens at Tuesday night's planning commission meeting, the Powhatan County Planning Commission voted 4 to1 in favor of opening a Walmart in the county.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
simon

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Walmart must be banking on a huge section 8,welfare sucking scum living or moving to the area soon.They only build there stores now close to these people.Walmart claims all these profits but how much is actually the states money going to them.I would love to know of the millions they make a month how much is food stamps,etc?Thats how they show a profit and beat out other stores,its called state support.

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I hope like hell they don't get the "go ahead" to build. How much would Powhatan really be making after having to widen roads, more traffic lights, traffic congestion, upkeep, etc. We already can't even afford to mow our darn medians. Powhatan does not NEED a Walmart. If "convenience" was a priority to local residents, none of us would be living there in the first place. We'd all be in Chesterfield where life is one big klusterf*ck of retail establishments and overpopulation. It's not even walmart I'm against, it's all the other crap that's going to follow it.

Introducing Walmart to Powhatan will be the death of the local small business owners and the last shred or ruralness we have left.

Since: Jun 10

Kabul, Afghanistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 12, 2010
 
WaxPoetic wrote:
I hope like hell they don't get the "go ahead" to build. How much would Powhatan really be making after having to widen roads, more traffic lights, traffic congestion, upkeep, etc. We already can't even afford to mow our darn medians. Powhatan does not NEED a Walmart. If "convenience" was a priority to local residents, none of us would be living there in the first place. We'd all be in Chesterfield where life is one big klusterf*ck of retail establishments and overpopulation. It's not even walmart I'm against, it's all the other crap that's going to follow it.
Introducing Walmart to Powhatan will be the death of the local small business owners and the last shred or ruralness we have left.
Heard that out west is where the life is. Powhatan will be the new Chesterfield before you know it. Remember when the Cloverleaf Mall area used to be the retail shopping area in the 80's and early 90's. Next thing everything shuts down shop and moves out into the midlothian area. Then you have Watkins Centre with a movie theatre, Target, etc. Next stop, center of Powhatan but don't worry, I won't be making a trip out there, I'll just stay in Chesterklusterfuckfield where there is a Wally World on every corner.

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 12, 2010
 
not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
Heard that out west is where the life is. Powhatan will be the new Chesterfield before you know it. Remember when the Cloverleaf Mall area used to be the retail shopping area in the 80's and early 90's. Next thing everything shuts down shop and moves out into the midlothian area. Then you have Watkins Centre with a movie theatre, Target, etc. Next stop, center of Powhatan but don't worry, I won't be making a trip out there, I'll just stay in Chesterklusterfuckfield where there is a Wally World on every corner.
You're absolutely right. I used to make weekly visits with my parents to Cloverleaf Sears and the cheese steak place (Oh yes, I used to chow down on some beef) and now it's a ghost town. It'll happen, it's inevitable, I just don't want it to. I spend about 80% of my time in Chesterfield/Midlothian for my job & my BF and shopping, grew up here, too. I just LOVE Powhatan and don't want it to get all "push & shove" just yet. You are welcome in Powhatan anytime MidloNTH LOL

Since: Jun 10

Kabul, Afghanistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 12, 2010
 
WaxPoetic wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right. I used to make weekly visits with my parents to Cloverleaf Sears and the cheese steak place (Oh yes, I used to chow down on some beef) and now it's a ghost town. It'll happen, it's inevitable, I just don't want it to. I spend about 80% of my time in Chesterfield/Midlothian for my job & my BF and shopping, grew up here, too. I just LOVE Powhatan and don't want it to get all "push & shove" just yet. You are welcome in Powhatan anytime MidloNTH LOL
Thanks for the invite out to Powhatan however that would be about an hour drive for myself and right now there isn't anything out there to drive to. That of course is beneficial to those that live in sticks and enjoy the less traffic and peace that come along with it but not for long.
Joe

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Build it and they will fill the parking everyday.
ya mama

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

I hope they do get the vote for the new WalMart and I hope they have a Vision Center.
Real Change

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 12, 2010
 
True dat! It will be special! I am so excited. Close shopping for 5 years until I can't stand Midlothian, I mean Powhatan, anymore and then I will move out further again!

P.S. Powhatan officials because I know that you are reading. If you think that the residents will let you "take the money" and not fix the traffic problems then you are sadly mistaken. I will call each and every one of you on a daily basis when traffic gets out of control and you "tight wads" will have to spend millions rerouting traffic, maintaining the roads and putting in traffic signals. Also, are you geniuses prepared for the traffic on Manakintown Ferry Road? Page Road well that is a joke in itself.
Mia

Pulaski, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

They don't want the Walmart
They don't want the State Police
They really don't want to live in the 21st century...
Powhatan really should be a roped off museum. Still living the antebellum dream...

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 12, 2010
 
Real Change wrote:
True dat! It will be special! I am so excited. Close shopping for 5 years until I can't stand Midlothian, I mean Powhatan, anymore and then I will move out further again!
P.S. Powhatan officials because I know that you are reading. If you think that the residents will let you "take the money" and not fix the traffic problems then you are sadly mistaken. I will call each and every one of you on a daily basis when traffic gets out of control and you "tight wads" will have to spend millions rerouting traffic, maintaining the roads and putting in traffic signals. Also, are you geniuses prepared for the traffic on Manakintown Ferry Road? Page Road well that is a joke in itself.
It's already a joke. I find myself at 8:30 AM driving 50mph down 60 IF I'm lucky. It's already so congested. I just don't see what will beneficial. They'll have to spend more than Walmart can give them just to accomodate their presence in the county.

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 12, 2010
 
Mia wrote:
They don't want the Walmart
They don't want the State Police
They really don't want to live in the 21st century...
Powhatan really should be a roped off museum. Still living the antebellum dream...
There is no antebellum facade in Powhatan, Mia. The people who live there moved there because most of us work in Richmond and want to get away from that and have room to breathe. Somewhere that nature can still be enjoyed, people still wave when you pass them on the street, the community is still connected to one another. What we DON'T want is to be the dump site of the City's overflow because they've run out of room to put anything else. It's a wonderful place to live and we'd like to keep it that way. Some people support it, some people don't. If living in a concrete jungle is what you want, you're more than entitled to it, but that doesn't have to be everyone's reality.
Non-Reading Idiots

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I love how all the Powhatan people are like "not in my backyard" yet they are will to drive to Chesterfield, so we can have it in our backyard? Makes Powhatan people sound like a bunch of stuck up yuppies. Maybe if you would keep your @sses in Powhatan, Chesterfield wouldn't have so much traffic. Suck it up Powhatan Walmart is coming to get you!! Finally!

Since: Jun 10

Kabul, Afghanistan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 12, 2010
 
Non-Reading Idiots wrote:
I love how all the Powhatan people are like "not in my backyard" yet they are will to drive to Chesterfield, so we can have it in our backyard? Makes Powhatan people sound like a bunch of stuck up yuppies. Maybe if you would keep your @sses in Powhatan, Chesterfield wouldn't have so much traffic. Suck it up Powhatan Walmart is coming to get you!! Finally!
Blame planning and the Board of Supervisors for overbuilding the Midlothian and Hull Street area. If its in my backyard then I don't have to travel far to get what I need.
Real Change

Gilbertsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 12, 2010
 
not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame planning and the Board of Supervisors for overbuilding the Midlothian and Hull Street area. If its in my backyard then I don't have to travel far to get what I need.
Yea and we all remember how long it took for Hull Street to be widened and fixed. Say 10 years? Now it is widened and great. Nice road except you sit at every single light between Woodlake and 288. But yes, the infrastructure is in place so it's okay now.

I know "progress" as they call it is coming but Powhatan is a great place to live and Walmart would be better suited beside the new doctors office just past the small Food Lion. Page Road will need widening and repaving. Will the county have to buy property from the 100 houses that front Page Road? I think it is a reasonable question.

But hey who cares, someone just pulled out a checkbook. Guess the Planning commission will deal with the rifraf later, maybe.
walmart

Powhatan, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 12, 2010
 
Well i hope powhatan gets a walmart!! And to all of yall that are sayin you dont want walmart here guess when it does get here yall will be the ones drivin to chesterfield to go to that walmart right?? O no yall wont yall will most likely be the first ones at the door so stop your b*tching WALMARTS COMING TO POWHATAN SO GET OVER IT

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 13, 2010
 
walmart wrote:
Well i hope powhatan gets a walmart!! And to all of yall that are sayin you dont want walmart here guess when it does get here yall will be the ones drivin to chesterfield to go to that walmart right?? O no yall wont yall will most likely be the first ones at the door so stop your b*tching WALMARTS COMING TO POWHATAN SO GET OVER IT
Actually, they're not. Not yet, at least. The meeting last night went on til 11pm. Everyone was tired, everyone was heard, and the BOS is continuing it at a later date. They have a year to decide when the meeting will take place, and they can just keep on pushing it back.
Real Change

Lincoln, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 13, 2010
 
WaxPoetic wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they're not. Not yet, at least. The meeting last night went on til 11pm. Everyone was tired, everyone was heard, and the BOS is continuing it at a later date. They have a year to decide when the meeting will take place, and they can just keep on pushing it back.
Maybe they heard my complaint on Page Rd and Manakintown Ferry Rd? I am changing my opinion on this one. Powhatan is not equipped to handle a major retailer like this. Not yet atleast. The infrastructure improvements will cost a fortune. So I am changing my opinion to "not now" on Walmart coming. Were you there Wax? Were people irritated?
Real Change

Lincoln, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 13, 2010
 
I am assuming you know the layout of eastern Powhatan, Wax. There will be so much backdoor traffic it will be unbelievable. Goochland, everyone on 711 and Salisburg people will slip in the backdoor. Not to mention those that will hop off of 288 just after crossing the James River and turn right on 711 and then hop left onto Manakintown Ferry to avoid all the Watkins Centre and 60 mess. Oh and it will be a mess. Kinda a traffic disaster in the making

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 13, 2010
 
Real Change wrote:
I am assuming you know the layout of eastern Powhatan, Wax. There will be so much backdoor traffic it will be unbelievable. Goochland, everyone on 711 and Salisburg people will slip in the backdoor. Not to mention those that will hop off of 288 just after crossing the James River and turn right on 711 and then hop left onto Manakintown Ferry to avoid all the Watkins Centre and 60 mess. Oh and it will be a mess. Kinda a traffic disaster in the making
Yeah I was there to hear my father speak. He was the 3rd person to speak, but the meeting lasted until 11pm.

I agree with you, I am NOT opposed to a Walmart. I have nothing against Walmart. What I am opposed to is all the other mess that will follow. There won't be a free standing walmart, there will be another strip mall right beside it. We aren't equipped to handle that kind of flow of traffic right now because everyone wanted to keep it rural. Like my dad said, Powhatan states more than 35 times in their Master Plan the desire to preserve "Rural Character" in the county. Because that's the mindset, Powhatan has been desperately clinging to it's roots, and the road to new development has not yet been paved.

We don't have the capacity to hold that much traffic. Already, I take 711 to Academy home. I work on Huguenot Rd. and coming home in the afternoon is bottlenecked until Flatrock and it doesn't truly let up until you reach Rt. 13 across from the old Food Lion. I just take the back road home because it's faster. Imagine adding additional traffic for the Walmart. Look how long it took on Hull Street west of 288. It'd be a hot mess and we just aren't ready for it yet. A lot has to change before we can equip ourselves with a shiny new Walmart. You don't just plop a Walmart in the middle of the field and then say, "OK, how do we handle this?" It's just bad planning.

Were you there? There was a lot of talk about the ladder truck. I sort of feel like this was a way to buy votes in favor of the Walmart. It was mentioned that Walmart was asked to donate and they agreed, but I don't see them agreeing to donate for any other reason other than to obtain more votes in their favor. It took a lot of guts for that kid to get up and speak, though.
Real Change

Lincoln, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 13, 2010
 
I wasn't there but I am glad that people spoke against it. If you don't fuss now then you can't fuss later. Chesterfield has become a cluster and I don't want it moving west, that's for sure. I was irritated over Watkins developing the area, oh and doing his state rep. job too, right? I think the back roads will fall apart with the increase in traffic. What are we going to do then? Oh I know, pay more taxes. Powhatan can't print money

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Powhatan Discussions

Search the Powhatan Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 11 hr barefoot2626 11,516
Bob McDonnell's Legal Defense 15 hr Delano 1
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) Mon truth told 20
Bill Rovi, unlicensed & uninsured contractor co... Jul 27 Buddy Mitchell 5
Review: Advanced Care Chiropractic and Wellness... (Nov '13) Jul 25 Sam 4
Loaner of Money Beware Jul 25 Richard Firth 1
Kenny Amos loses $4877 judgment for poor workma... Jul 24 Buddy Mitchell 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Powhatan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Powhatan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Powhatan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Powhatan
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••