Powhatan Moves Forward with Walmart - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

Despite lots of opposition including a petition with 800 signatures, and dozens of citizens at Tuesday night's planning commission meeting, the Powhatan County Planning Commission voted 4 to1 in favor of opening a Walmart in Powhatan.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jun 5, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
chris

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

Real simple,dont use the store.I refuse to go into any racist walmart store ever.If you are white and shop any walmart around here you have been the victim of good ole reverse racism.White people just dont shop there.The same colored people that work the walmart leave there and take the bus to social services to work their shift there get back on the bus and take their taxes back to richmond.Social services and walmart,two of the most racist places on earth.
Jarred

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Great! Can't wait to shop there. It's about time we got some businesses wanting to come into Powhatan. They said they pay about $11.00 per hour. When do they start hiring? Sign me up.
Bull

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Been wondering when they would move in, having looked at all that land out there for so long. It's a shame to waste that lovely countryside, but I suppose the jobs and tax revenue will offset that. The article didn't mention where they were building, though. Anyone know?
Rural Guy

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

We need a Wal-Mart in Powhatan. We currently have no shopping alternatives for clothes and household goods. That means I have to drive 45 minutes round trip to Midlothian to get something. Needless to say, the County also needs the jobs - 350 with this project and the tax revenue.$650,000 could pay for a lot of teachers! Thank you Planning Commission. Now it's time for the Board of Supervisors to give us what we need.
Real Change

Williamsport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

I want the walmart even though I dislike shopping there. I waste alot of time driving into Chesterfield to shop. However, no shopping is why Powhatan is such a great rural place to live. You had to know that the planning commission would cave into Walmart. You can't beat Walmart and their team of lawyers. It is a win/win for the county and a lose/lose for the drivers. Traffic will be even more terrible now with Westchester Commons and a Walmart. You better plan ahead and allow more time to and from work!
Fact Checker

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Dear Jarred,
Let's clear up some misconceptions here. According to the Wal-Mart website ( http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/StateBySta... ), "As of April 2010, the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Virginia is $11.63 per hour". Note the use of AVERAGE. It obviously means that there are lots of Wal-Mart workers who earn considerably less. Especially, note that the average is only for FULL-TIMERS, who are typically more experienced and earn more - including the part-timers in the average would lower the average. Wal-Mart discloses neither their median wage (which is more meaningful than the average), least of all their starting wage. So if you were to start there, you will earn nowhere close to $11 an hour. What is more, they don't tell you how many hours a week they give you. According to “Supplemental Benefits Documentation,” a confidential internal Wal-Mart memo by Susan Chambers (Executive Vice President, People Division), presented at a Wal-Mart Board of Directors retreat for fiscal year 2006, Wal-Mart full-timers AVERAGE 34 hours a week.(The memo was leaked to the New York Times, and is available for download at: http://www.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/business/... ) That means there are plenty of full-timers who have less hours. So if you earn, say $9 per hour (which is a reasonable assumption given that the average wage is $11.63), and if you work 28 hours a week (also reasonable given that the average full-timer gets 34 hours), your annual income (assuming that you work 52 weeks a year) is $13,104. Not exactly rolling in the dough.
Stephanie223

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Fact Checker - finish your research http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Food-Lion-Sal... There are two Food Lions in Powhatan that employ roughly 60 people each and also fall in line with average retail salaries, but with higher priced goods.

The bottom line is that Walmart worked extensively with the Planning Commission to come up with a design that will work for Powhatan - anyone who attended the Public Hearing last night could plainly see that.

Walmart doesn't want to destroy Powhatan; they want to offer their low-priced goods to the citizens of Powhatan closer to home.

“Common sense aint that common.”

Since: Jan 10

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. What about all the small business owners in Powhatan? What will happen to them? I fear my business surely won't last, though I'll do everything possible to keep it afloat.

They speak of tax revenue, but how much will be left after all the road work, stop lights & upkeep. Before all the upkeep, it boils down to $1780 a day for Powhatan. Ten years ago, there were 23,000 people living in Powhatan (I'm not sure what it is now, as the new census has yet to be released) and 37% were under 18. Though that is not the case now, back then there were about 14,100 tax payers in Powhatan. Raising our taxes $46.00 a year for 14,000 people would equal the same amount as having a Walmart in Powhatan. Being that the population has grown considerably, realisitcally, it would be even less than $46.00/year per adult. I'd be happy to pay that to keep those big corporate money mongrels out of my County.

It's not so much Walmart that I despise, but it's going to be the rest of the convenience stores, strip malls, fast food joints, etc. that follow it. If I wanted to live in Chesterfield or Midlothian, I'd move there. I chose Powhatan for a reason, and now that reason is gone. Amelia, here I come!

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Stephanie223 wrote:
Fact Checker - finish your research http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Food-Lion-Sal... There are two Food Lions in Powhatan that employ roughly 60 people each and also fall in line with average retail salaries, but with higher priced goods.
The bottom line is that Walmart worked extensively with the Planning Commission to come up with a design that will work for Powhatan - anyone who attended the Public Hearing last night could plainly see that.
Walmart doesn't want to destroy Powhatan; they want to offer their low-priced goods to the citizens of Powhatan closer to home.
I understand that, but it's not like you have to go on a road trip to get to the walmart just inside of Midlothian. People who moved to Powhatan knew what it was like out there, and I assume that's why we all live there, correct? Who buys a home and then says, "Aw, crap! Now I have to drive 20 minutes to the nearest Walmart! Shoot, and the nearest Target is a whole 15 minutes away!" I mean, honestly, we're not missing much. How many Powhatan residents work in Powhatan? Do you quit yourjob because it's 30 minutes away, or did you know it would be 30 minutes away when you moved here? I just don't like it...the whole thing, I don't like it.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

chris wrote:
Real simple,dont use the store.I refuse to go into any racist walmart store ever.If you are white and shop any walmart around here you have been the victim of good ole reverse racism.White people just dont shop there.The same colored people that work the walmart leave there and take the bus to social services to work their shift there get back on the bus and take their taxes back to richmond.Social services and walmart,two of the most racist places on earth.
YOu are a nasty racist, your rant belongs on the pages of craigslist.
YOur kind of ilk need to GET OFF THIS PLANET>
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

WaxPoetic wrote:
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. What about all the small business owners in Powhatan? What will happen to them? I fear my business surely won't last, though I'll do everything possible to keep it afloat.
They speak of tax revenue, but how much will be left after all the road work, stop lights & upkeep. Before all the upkeep, it boils down to $1780 a day for Powhatan. Ten years ago, there were 23,000 people living in Powhatan (I'm not sure what it is now, as the new census has yet to be released) and 37% were under 18. Though that is not the case now, back then there were about 14,100 tax payers in Powhatan. Raising our taxes $46.00 a year for 14,000 people would equal the same amount as having a Walmart in Powhatan. Being that the population has grown considerably, realisitcally, it would be even less than $46.00/year per adult. I'd be happy to pay that to keep those big corporate money mongrels out of my County.
It's not so much Walmart that I despise, but it's going to be the rest of the convenience stores, strip malls, fast food joints, etc. that follow it. If I wanted to live in Chesterfield or Midlothian, I'd move there. I chose Powhatan for a reason, and now that reason is gone. Amelia, here I come!
The bright side is this, jobs jobs jobs and more jobs. Those who are unemployed or on gov't assistance can now get the opportuinity to be gainfully employed. This is what you empty tea-cuppers should be cheering about; moving people from the public dole to becoming tax-paying citizens. I salute the Planning Commission and Wal-Mart for doing the right thing. As for you Wax, there are plenty of "smart boxes" available to facilitate your move, how bout' Apartied Arizona.
Sammy

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
The bright side is this, jobs jobs jobs and more jobs. Those who are unemployed or on gov't assistance can now get the opportuinity to be gainfully employed. This is what you empty tea-cuppers should be cheering about; moving people from the public dole to becoming tax-paying citizens. I salute the Planning Commission and Wal-Mart for doing the right thing. As for you Wax, there are plenty of "smart boxes" available to facilitate your move, how bout' Apartied Arizona.
Fleahead the bus doesn't go out that far so but out. No matter where you live or move nobody likes you. If ever in doubt go re-read your forum stank troll.
Real Change

Telford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, nothead, we need to get you off the government teet. So maybe you can be a greeter for the new walmart? I don't like that they underpay their employees and play games with their hours. A store that generates their volume could pay 250 full time employees and have 50 part-timers. Except they will have 25 full timers and 300 part timers so that they can avoid providing insurance. I guess they are a necessary evil at this time. Take it easy on wax, nothead. See pays your income through your welfare check, foodstamps and unemployment benefits. Amelia county will never allow a walmart. Wax, if you want to preserve your rural living then cross the county line. I am sure you won't be alone. Powhatan is going to be a traffic nightmare. It takes them a month to pave 5 miles of route 60. LOL
not a teahead

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Real Change wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, nothead, we need to get you off the government teet. So maybe you can be a greeter for the new walmart? I don't like that they underpay their employees and play games with their hours. A store that generates their volume could pay 250 full time employees and have 50 part-timers. Except they will have 25 full timers and 300 part timers so that they can avoid providing insurance. I guess they are a necessary evil at this time. Take it easy on wax, nothead. See pays your income through your welfare check, foodstamps and unemployment benefits. Amelia county will never allow a walmart. Wax, if you want to preserve your rural living then cross the county line. I am sure you won't be alone. Powhatan is going to be a traffic nightmare. It takes them a month to pave 5 miles of route 60. LOL
But thy teet tastes so good! It gives me warmth, security, food, and I don't have to leave my home. Wax if you move out to Amelia then I'm afraid that my moped won't make it that far. Before you leave lets have the luau with coconut bras, skirts, and banana hammocks. Sammy, Taz, Real Change, not a demorat, you guys are all invited and no there won't be any "teabagging".

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Real Change wrote:
<quoted text>
Wax, if you want to preserve your rural living then cross the county line. I am sure you won't be alone. Powhatan is going to be a traffic nightmare. It takes them a month to pave 5 miles of route 60. LOL
:) I love my home, but I don't like the fact that it's starting to turn into another Chesterfield. I suppose, realistically, I can't avoid commercial development. But, temporarily, it makes me feel better to throw a tantrum about it. LOL
Idiot Checker

Purcellville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Judged:

I love these news articles. Lots of opposition huh? A couple dozen citizens out of what? I'm guessing 25,000 - 30,000 total Powhatan residents?

24 people and a petition full of signatures that anyone can coerce anyone into signing just so loons will leave you alone.

Come on.
Powhatan Woman

Powhatan, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Idiot Checker, people went into local stores asking to sign those petitions. We never had to ask a soul to sign them. And there were about 100+ people who stood in support o the anti-Walmart position, over half the room. The "con" speakers outnumbered the "pros" three to one and the commission received more "anti" letters and emails. It's pretty obvious most folks in Powhatan don't want it, but the suits with money promised the moon. When the crime & traffic get bad, I hope people bug the county officials to death!
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

Powhatan Woman wrote:
Idiot Checker, people went into local stores asking to sign those petitions. We never had to ask a soul to sign them. And there were about 100+ people who stood in support o the anti-Walmart position, over half the room. The "con" speakers outnumbered the "pros" three to one and the commission received more "anti" letters and emails. It's pretty obvious most folks in Powhatan don't want it, but the suits with money promised the moon. When the crime & traffic get bad, I hope people bug the county officials to death!
Is this a tea-party county, wheres the clout you bums said y'all had/ just wondering?
no longer rural 1

Powhatan, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

BRING IT POWHATAN HASNT BEEN RURAL IN ABOUT 10 YRS. THE COUNTY IS FULL OF CITY SLICKERS (OHH LOOK A DEER),ITS NOTHING BUT BMWS, AUDIS, ETC ANYMORE.. ON MY WAY TO A NEW RURAL SETTING WELCOME WAL-MART YOUR WAY BEHIND ALREADY!!
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

Judged:

Powhatan is still country, just look at the people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Powhatan Discussions

Search the Powhatan Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 3 hr independent common sense 11,510
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) 17 hr truth told 20
Bill Rovi, unlicensed & uninsured contractor co... Sun Buddy Mitchell 5
Review: Advanced Care Chiropractic and Wellness... (Nov '13) Jul 25 Sam 4
Loaner of Money Beware Jul 25 Richard Firth 1
Kenny Amos loses $4877 judgment for poor workma... Jul 24 Buddy Mitchell 2
Does anyone know the Local Pedophile Mike Dicki... Jul 23 Lena 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Powhatan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000