Melanie Leneghan Incoming Liberty Twp...
interesting

Port Matilda, PA

#708 Jan 13, 2013
Looking for answers wrote:
This post is not meant to be argumentative.  I simply need some clarification on a recent facebook post on Liberty Powell Fire Levy.

"The truth is, in 2010, LTFD firefighters received a 0% raise. In 2011, they received a 2% raise. After the contract was renegotiated in 2011, in 2012 firefighters received a 0.86% raise. In 2013, they will receive a 0.99% pay raise. The average yearly pay raise from 2010 to 2015 is 0.93% per year."

My neighborhood and I have reviewed the contract and we understand that you gave your pension pickup back and assumed 20% of your health care obligation.  This still shows a 3.75% annual pay increase.  Where are these sub 1% pay raises coming from? 

Now, to play devil’s advocate.  According to an anonymous source, Columbus Division of Fire gave back their pension pick-up as well and the only pay raises they received were to offset the give back, roughly 2.75% over 4 years. 

These 6-7% pay raises over the next 5 years have become a sticking point with my neighborhood as well as my husband.  With the emergency levy steadily approaching please provide me some clarification in this matter so I may disseminate it appropriately
My grandchildren got me on facebook a few months ago, I like their site. Good question, why dont you ask them directly? You most get a direct answer!
Get a Clue

West Portsmouth, OH

#709 Jan 13, 2013
I wrote "More like laughing over the spilled milk, not crying. They are still running a sucky campaign, just like last time."

How do you get from that that I am laughing over their sucky campaign? That comment, if you even read what I was I was replying to, was someone else writing I was crying over spilled milk because the SOS campaign does not include crucial information about why we were put in this position to begin with. I was not crying over spilled milk, but rather laughing that the most important issues are considered spilled milk.

The taxpayers were screwed by TWO boards of trustees who thought they could wait until the last minute, put any amount of money on a levy and we would just all vote for it. They were wrong. They, minus Leneghan, are the reason we are in this make or break position and the public should know why.

Their campaign sucks AGAIN because they don't have the guts to break away from the trustees and put the blame for the failed levy where the blame belongs...squarely on the shoulders of Bob Mann, Curt Sybert and Mary Carducci. That is what they sould do. That is how you play to WIN.

I'm all for the levy. I just hope they smarten up and tell the public what they really want to and should know about the last levy. That is NOT irrelevant information...and it certainly isn't spilled milk.

There is nothing funny about laying off firemen and truthfully, they didn't have to. They did it to save face. I'm not the one playing with people's lives...they are.

So back off. You clearly don't understand how to win a campaign. You take down everything and everyone in your path to victory. They think they can win by not hurting the trustees feelings. Go ahead and hurt their feelings and blame them for the last levy failure...who cares? It's true. If the campaign doesn't start doing it, that's called playing to hope to win, or more often called playing to lose.
so what wrote:
<quoted text>
DUH you said you were laughing over a sucky campaign, you jerk. Whats funny about losing our fire dept and laying off firemen? Where's your community pride?
interesting

Columbus, OH

#710 Jan 13, 2013
Get a Clue wrote:
I wrote "More like laughing over the spilled milk, not crying. They are still running a sucky campaign, just like last time."
How do you get from that that I am laughing over their sucky campaign? That comment, if you even read what I was I was replying to, was someone else writing I was crying over spilled milk because the SOS campaign does not include crucial information about why we were put in this position to begin with. I was not crying over spilled milk, but rather laughing that the most important issues are considered spilled milk.
The taxpayers were screwed by TWO boards of trustees who thought they could wait until the last minute, put any amount of money on a levy and we would just all vote for it. They were wrong. They, minus Leneghan, are the reason we are in this make or break position and the public should know why.
Their campaign sucks AGAIN because they don't have the guts to break away from the trustees and put the blame for the failed levy where the blame belongs...squarely on the shoulders of Bob Mann, Curt Sybert and Mary Carducci. That is what they sould do. That is how you play to WIN.
I'm all for the levy. I just hope they smarten up and tell the public what they really want to and should know about the last levy. That is NOT irrelevant information...and it certainly isn't spilled milk.
There is nothing funny about laying off firemen and truthfully, they didn't have to. They did it to save face. I'm not the one playing with people's lives...they are.
So back off. You clearly don't understand how to win a campaign. You take down everything and everyone in your path to victory. They think they can win by not hurting the trustees feelings. Go ahead and hurt their feelings and blame them for the last levy failure...who cares? It's true. If the campaign doesn't start doing it, that's called playing to hope to win, or more often called playing to lose.
<quoted text>
No, Ms. Lilly, I will not. Why won't you help your own fire department?
Not Ms Lilly

West Portsmouth, OH

#711 Jan 13, 2013
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Ms. Lilly, I will not. Why won't you help your own fire department?
Is this the same a-hole who negatively used her name in a public session, ranting about what she did and said at a neighborhood picnic about the firemen, and then had to publically apologize to her when you found out you were wrong? Well, you're wrong again.

I know her through politics and we may sound the same because we believe the same things and have discussed the levies on several occasisons. But she is done with it. She offered her free assistance to the firemen, after a public session, for this recent campaign and they didn't take her up on it (and it shows). Too bad you didn't let her develop your strategy and message. Now all you get from her is her one vote.

I haven't written anything negative about the firemen, so don't ask me "Why won't you help your own fire department?" And if you meant that for Ms Lilly, she already offered her help. I watched her do it.

BTW, it certainly narrows down who wrote this. Only a handful of people would even know who she is. She doesn't work in township government, only county and state.
interesting

Elyria, OH

#712 Jan 14, 2013
Well, I apologize for incorrectly identifying you. All you A-holes sound alike anymore.
Yup

West Portsmouth, OH

#713 Jan 14, 2013
You know it! Just like the a-holes who only write to critcize instead of focusing on the levy.
interesting wrote:
Well, I apologize for incorrectly identifying you. All you A-holes sound alike anymore.
Powell idiots

Grand Blanc, MI

#714 Jan 14, 2013
Nothing like watching a couple of Powell idiots argue and agree about the same thing. When you POP fail your fire levy because you are too stubborn to admit you were wrong, dont' come crying to us. I'll attend every city council meeting and demand we dont send one firetruck to help you. We treat our firemen and EMS workers right in Dublin.
Nice Neighbor

West Portsmouth, OH

#715 Jan 14, 2013
Wow, what a jackass you are. Not sure what you mean by too stubborn to admit we were wrong. Wrong about what? The fire levy in November was way more money than the fire/ems needed, so it failed. It was the trustees who put us in the position we are in now by waiting until the last minute to put a very expensive levy on the ballot. They had several chances to try to pass that kind of increase, but they didn't. They waited so they could use scare tactics that obviously didn't work.

The voters weren't wrong about the November levy. The new levy is for the same amount of money they were collecting to begin with. They should have just put a renewal on from the start since so much was at stake. But they didn't and now we are in dire circumstances.

We DO support our fire/ems. We DON'T support the trustees trying to screw us.
Orange Tea

Columbus, OH

#716 Jan 14, 2013
Why didn't the trustees go for a smaller levy to support firefighters and let the sales tax supported countywide EMS service expand and assist with EMS service in Liberty at no additional load to taxpayers?

Does that make too much sense? Or, is this just every little kingdom protecting its turf rather than work together?
Liberty Levy

West Portsmouth, OH

#718 Jan 15, 2013
If the township only levied funds for the fire department, the county EMS system would more than likely pay Liberty to use their facility, equipment and probably hire some of the same staff that are working there now. The difference being that the trustees would not have any say over the staffing levels of EMS, so yes, it is somewhat protecting their kingdom.

That being said, if the next levy fails, we will have NO fire department at all and the county would have to scramble to redistribute funds and staffing to cover Liberty EMS. That could result in the commissioners taking back a portion of our property tax rollback to pay for it all, which would affect everyone in the county to benefit only Liberty Township. But if they have to work within the current county EMS budget, it could mean that while Liberty may usually have six guys per shift, the county may only provide three. And here enlies the problem. Then we have the trustees fighting with the commissioners over money and staffing, with enough finger-pointing to last a lifetime.

Liberty had their EMS program up and running before there was a countywide system, which is why Liberty gets about $225K per year from the county EMS tax pool. It's not enough to entirely fund Liberty EMS, but it's better than most of the townships who get nothing at all.

What's done is done. We can analyze it to death and it still wouldn't change anything. Vote yes on the levy, and then keep your eyes open when the two trustees who put Liberty in this make or break position are on the ballot in November.
Orange Tea wrote:
Why didn't the trustees go for a smaller levy to support firefighters and let the sales tax supported countywide EMS service expand and assist with EMS service in Liberty at no additional load to taxpayers?
Does that make too much sense? Or, is this just every little kingdom protecting its turf rather than work together?
Leneghan Letter To Editor

Tempe, AZ

#719 Jan 18, 2013
Ok Melanie here are some questions.

Will you pledge not to support any additional property tax millage for fire/EMS until expiration of the levy or it's renewal?

If the State Of Ohio sponsored study shows that a county EMS service would be economically beneficial will you support disbanding Liberty EMS?

Will you support a lawsuit against Delaware County seeking a fair an equitable reimbursement for Liberty Township?

There R 3 Trustees

West Portsmouth, OH

#720 Jan 18, 2013
You can't ask just ONE trustee if they will support something. That makes NO sense. Leneghan supported only a renewal levy to begin with and was outvoted by Carducii and Sybert. Then the levy failed. Now those two have come around to her position. Why aren't you asking ALL of the trustees if they support your questions? How one person answers means nothing...duh.
Leneghan Letter To Editor wrote:
Ok Melanie here are some questions.
Will you pledge not to support any additional property tax millage for fire/EMS until expiration of the levy or it's renewal?
If the State Of Ohio sponsored study shows that a county EMS service would be economically beneficial will you support disbanding Liberty EMS?
Will you support a lawsuit against Delaware County seeking a fair an equitable reimbursement for Liberty Township?
Solo Leneghan

Tempe, AZ

#721 Jan 18, 2013
Melanie wrote the Letter to The Editor in This Week Olentangy asl a solo author and indicated she was avaiable to answer questions. So just asking her to go on the record.
On the Record

West Portsmouth, OH

#722 Jan 19, 2013
So call or e-mail her. I'm sure she doesn't read the garbage on this forum. But you better ask the other two as well. It won't matter what she supports if one of the other trustees doesn't support it too.
DO NOT COMPARE

Columbus, OH

#723 Jan 20, 2013
How much has this mistake cost? Right now - immediately - the cost to put the Fire Levy on the emergency ballot and 10 firefighter positions. IF it passes, the cost (in interest) to finance $5 million for 2013. Can impeach a Trustee?
notsurprised wrote:
Ms. Leneghan has not even been sworn in yet, as trustee, and she has already broken her mentor Peggy Guzzo's record for stirring the pot and causing controversy.
She apparently feels she has a "mandate" to further her agenda. Well, I guess we are going to find out what exactly that means. She has filed to run for Central Committee against Mary Carducci, and is sponsoring a fundraiser for the Tea Party candidate running against Pat Tiberi.
Not even in office yet, and already making the Republican establishment mad. Good thinking Melanie. Obviously she needs to work on her people skills.
I wonder how much the mistake of electing her is going to cost the residents of Liberty Twp? We are not off to an encouraging start.
DO NOT COMPARE

Columbus, OH

#724 Jan 20, 2013
You forgot to mention that the revised levy amount is the same amount it was 10 years ago! Meanwhile expenses and population have increased.
Nice Neighbor wrote:
Wow, what a jackass you are. Not sure what you mean by too stubborn to admit we were wrong. Wrong about what? The fire levy in November was way more money than the fire/ems needed, so it failed. It was the trustees who put us in the position we are in now by waiting until the last minute to put a very expensive levy on the ballot. They had several chances to try to pass that kind of increase, but they didn't. They waited so they could use scare tactics that obviously didn't work.
The voters weren't wrong about the November levy. The new levy is for the same amount of money they were collecting to begin with. They should have just put a renewal on from the start since so much was at stake. But they didn't and now we are in dire circumstances.
We DO support our fire/ems. We DON'T support the trustees trying to screw us.
Quit The Whining

Tempe, AZ

#725 Jan 21, 2013
Many of the layoffs are for for the fluff jobs, you know the nice to have but not necessary kind that are created when a government bureaucracy is allowed to expand carte blanche. Since the Liberty fire/EMS is public service union controlled, the only way the voters can react to out of control spending and unecessary job creation is to cut down the dollars. Unfortunately the two lawyer Township trustees and the academic PhD fiscal officer did not have the acumen or fortitude to take on the union and elected to take the easy way out by threatening the voters if the first levy did not pass. The amount of money for a special election and interest is de minimis in comparison with the tax dollars Carducci and Sybert tried to take from property owners.
ignorant!

United States

#726 Jan 21, 2013
Quit The Whining wrote:
Many of the layoffs are for for the fluff jobs, you know the nice to have but not necessary kind that are created when a government bureaucracy is allowed to expand carte blanche. Since the Liberty fire/EMS is public service union controlled, the only way the voters can react to out of control spending and unecessary job creation is to cut down the dollars. Unfortunately the two lawyer Township trustees and the academic PhD fiscal officer did not have the acumen or fortitude to take on the union and elected to take the easy way out by threatening the voters if the first levy did not pass. The amount of money for a special election and interest is de minimis in comparison with the tax dollars Carducci and Sybert tried to take from property owners.
Why is it all you ever bring up is UNION? You are an idiot the union doesn't create positions! Every person that gets on a truck is used to their fullest capacity when on incidents!
Public Service Unions

Toronto, Canada

#727 Jan 21, 2013
Wages and salaries make up the largest portion of expenditures. Public Service Unions have decimated the tax paying public with outlandish pensions,medical benefits, early retirement ages , compensation for sick days not taken, limited flexibility for employee management, non performance based wage increases (step), job protection for low performers, etc. etc.
Get it Right

West Portsmouth, OH

#728 Jan 21, 2013
The previous levy expired in December of 2011, before Leneghan ever took office. The previous BOT, Bob Mann, Curt Sybert and Mary Carducci were the ones responsible for renewing/increasing the levy before the last one expired. Carducci and Sybert are the two who put the township in the position they are in now. They waited until the last possible election to put a huge tax increase on the ballot. They thought just because they said so, it would pass. They were wrong. Now the township is in a position that if the February levy does not pass, we have NO fire/EMS at all in Liberty. If anyone should be impeached, it should be those two. The truth is that they didn't want to put a huge tax increase on the ballot in 2011 at the same time Bob Mann was running for re-election. It didn't help him, btw.

The result of the election is not a mistake. It is up to the voters to decide, and they decided no. Too bad Sybert and Carducci didn't give themselves enough time to put another regular levy on the ballot in case the first levy failed. But they did that on purpose thinking if they used enough scare tactics, it would pass. Again, they were wrong. The mistake was putting it on the Novemebr ballot to begin with.

Only 4 of the 10 positions were layoffs.

Unfortunately, there is no means to get rid of a township trustee. Otherwise Carducci and Sybert would be in a lot of trouble.
DO NOT COMPARE wrote:
How much has this mistake cost? Right now - immediately - the cost to put the Fire Levy on the emergency ballot and 10 firefighter positions. IF it passes, the cost (in interest) to finance $5 million for 2013. Can impeach a Trustee?
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh, look...the polls are tied.. 11 min Seriouslady 4
America is doomed. 12 min Just Sayin 28
Monsanto = Poison = Clinton 14 min Seriouslady 19
Hillary's speech - thread is missing 48 min SeriousIady 109
Topix Closes Human Sexuality Forums 1 hr RIP tawh picks 14
Forum For LOSERS 2 hr tawh picks snax 43
News Donald Trump to visit eastern Ohio on Tuesday 2 hr Seriouslady 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Powell Mortgages