obvious

Glenmont, OH

#481 Oct 28, 2012
It is quite obvious that this is nothing more than a personal attack against Sybert and Carducci and a push for Leneghan's extreme far right wing agenda and has nothing to due with the fire department. It is so unfortunate that many are willing to sacrifice public safety to promote an agenda that is just as crazy as Obama-care. You notice that this discussion board started out as a discussion about Leneghan and has now turned into a fire levy discussion. After the levy passes, what's next? You going to try to push to stop all funding for the road department too? Township government IS NOT the same as federal big government. We need our fire and EMS services. Mr Gemperline says if this levy fails, there will be no changes is service. What he has totally failed to do is show how that will be possible. Even if they start the year with $2 million, how are you supposed to make that last a full year with a department that needs $7 million a year to operate? There will be HUGE cuts and it will be detrimental to the residents of Liberty Township. My neighbors along with my family and friends have all voted YES for the fire levy. I am not about to risk public safety to save pennies. My homeowners insurance was going to go up over $400 next year if the levy fails because the Sawmill Parkway station will be closing. I don't have children in the schools so when I moved here 12 years ago, I did so because of the public safety protection, knowing full well that taxes were not going to be cheap. If I wanted cheap, I would of moved to Columbus. I have used the services of the Liberty firemen and they were so professional and extremely helpful. They are there in our time of need, time for the residents to step up and support them in there time of need. Mr Gemperlines comment on the department being "over staffed", really? You would really complain about your fire department being over staffed? Move to Radnor Township where they want $153 per $100k a year to get you 3 part-timers a day (gazette). Maybe that is more of the staffing levels you are looking for. I will gladly pay $49 more a year per $100k to get me a minimum of 12 professional firefighters 24/7/365. Mr Gemberline only represents a very, very small fraction of residents in our township. He is in the minority and I have no doubt the residents of Liberty Township will send a strong message to Leneghan on Nov 6th. We do love our firefighters and we will support them 100%. How can Mr Gemperline start out by saying "we love our firefighters, but..." when he wants to see the department cut most of them to save a few pennies? Doesn't make any sense to me, I support them and love the level of protection I have. You never know and appreciate what you have until you either use it or you need it and its gone!
ASTONISHED

Toronto, Canada

#482 Oct 28, 2012
Here is the likely game plan. since Gerber, Anderson, Sybert, Carducci and Jensen gave out the big raises to Yamarick and the Fire Lieutenants , behind the scenes , Liberty Township officials are operating Obama style, asking to the Union to just wait until the levy passes and we can get you the same kind of salary increases at 5% plus. If the voters give Liberty Township Trustees a Five Year Levy, it is almost guaranteed that Firemen will be getting 5% plus raises while the taxpaying public shuffles along with 3% or less raises and without the huge entitlement retirement benefits of the Fire/EMS personnel. It's time to bring parity to the table by VOTING a HUGE NO!!
Back to the Facts

Powell, OH

#483 Oct 28, 2012
funding wrote:
<quoted text>
What other funding? The levy is 95% of their funding. The only other money the receive is $220k a year for ems calls from the county. That is the only other major funding they receive. Facts are facts and the fact is if the levy does not pass, there will not be another dollar received by the fire department during 2013. That is the fact!
Like you wrote, they get reimbusements from the county. They also get grants and other funding from the township taxes, for example, gasoline is a separate line item in the township's budget, so it does not come out of the fire levy funds, either.

No one has refuted the numbers that were posted. Just more gum-flapping about how the Sawmill Station will close...blah blah blah. Says who? Don't you think they would start by cutting staff before shutting down an entire fire station? Have another sip of Kool-Aid.
Back to the Facts

Powell, OH

#484 Oct 28, 2012
They also charge residents if their home security system accidentally calls the fire department too many times.
Refute This

Columbus, OH

#485 Oct 28, 2012
Back to the Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you wrote, they get reimbusements from the county. They also get grants and other funding from the township taxes, for example, gasoline is a separate line item in the township's budget, so it does not come out of the fire levy funds, either.
No one has refuted the numbers that were posted. Just more gum-flapping about how the Sawmill Station will close...blah blah blah. Says who? Don't you think they would start by cutting staff before shutting down an entire fire station? Have another sip of Kool-Aid.
They have not received any grants this year. They only get 220K from the county - not quite enough to run a volunteer department off of. The gas tax goes directly to the road department, the fire department does not receive a single penny of it. If the levy fails and the Sawmill Parkway station closes, don't say you were not forwarned. They will cut staff first though before they do that. They will cut a minimum of 40 guys out of the 52 they have. They are expected to start 2013 with $1.3 million and if the levy fails, the only revenue will be from Del Co for EMS at $220K. That is around $1.5 million to operate off of for 2013. Where are they going to get the money to maintain current services? It cost roughly $100k a year per full-time firefighter, which is about average for central Ohio. You will get 10 full time emplyees and with one of them being a chief, that leaves you with 3 guys a shift and $300K leftover for misc expenses. Unless you can show where there may be more money, this cannot be refuted.
Oh Please

Columbus, OH

#486 Oct 28, 2012
Back to the Facts wrote:
They also charge residents if their home security system accidentally calls the fire department too many times.
Liberty has never charged a resident if they take to many false calls to a their house.
dumb

London, OH

#487 Oct 28, 2012
Back to the Facts wrote:
This is about the dumblest thing I have ever heard! Thanks for the good laugh though! Almost as funny as the Liberty firefighters being the highest paid in the state. I would love to see the proof of that along with all these other crazy lies.
Down in the mud now

Sardinia, OH

#488 Oct 28, 2012
ASTONISHED wrote:
Here is the likely game plan. since Gerber, Anderson, Sybert, Carducci and Jensen gave out the big raises to Yamarick and the Fire Lieutenants , behind the scenes , Liberty Township officials are operating Obama style, asking to the Union to just wait until the levy passes and we can get you the same kind of salary increases at 5% plus. If the voters give Liberty Township Trustees a Five Year Levy, it is almost guaranteed that Firemen will be getting 5% plus raises while the taxpaying public shuffles along with 3% or less raises and without the huge entitlement retirement benefits of the Fire/EMS personnel. It's time to bring parity to the table by VOTING a HUGE NO!!
This is so stupid that it is almost not worth the time to respond to it, but with all the WRONG information floating around, it cannot be ignored. Firemen getting 5% plus raises? Obviously, you aren't even smart enough to know they are union and have a contract that covers raises that has already been signed. Yes,
the public pension and retirement benefits are generous. Anybody ask you to run into a burning building? The last contract with the fire union also has the firefighters paying a greater share of these costs. You want parity? Parity with what? Liberty firefighters are paid at the upper end of the middle third of fire depts. That is not extravagant. It is fair.

It is a crying shame that a few idiots (the Guzzo/Leneghan posse) are trying to ruin it for everybody. When the levy passes maybe we should be circulating a petition to get rid of the loon on the board that is behind this.
this is ridiculous

Powell, OH

#489 Oct 28, 2012
One thing I really don't understand is why people seem to be so upset with Leneghan (and Guzzo, which makes no sense at all since she is not in office). They should be upset with Sybert, Carducci, Mann and Gerber who should have put a levy on the ballot last year when they had two separate occasions to do it. The current levy expired in December of 2011. It isn't like they didn't know this was going to happen.

Now we have residents divided, FF/EMS employees worried about their jobs, everyone arguing about much it really costs to run the department and no real documentation to back up the $8.5M per year.

I don't care what the pro or anti levy literature says, I want to see actual reported numbers from the township fiscal office. Why is that so hard to get? If you read the fiscal reports for the last few years, it isn't anywhere close to $8.5M, even by the fifth year including a 5% increase each year.

I hope people really look into this issue on their own and not just read all of the crap on this forum. Call the trustees, the fire chief, the fiscal officer and the township administrator. See what kind of answers you get. I have called three people and have been told three different things. One thing for sure though, is all of them said they would not have to close one of the fire stations.
JensenFireCare

Netherlands

#490 Oct 29, 2012
Barack Sybert, Nancy Carducci and Harry Gerber, none of them can show us where the additional $2.5 million per year is going to be spent.They just tell the taxpayers to pass it and then we will see where the dollars are going. Giving them a 5 year open checkbook for $12.5 million is not sound financial management.
Pathetic

Columbus, OH

#491 Oct 29, 2012
It is embarrassing that a township with the education levels we have and having one of the highest per capita income levels in the state has such petty and sophomoric politics.

We need professional, pro-business, civic minded folks in office, NOT these bomb throwing, mean spirited, and divisive individuals.
Down in the mud now

Sardinia, OH

#492 Oct 29, 2012
Pathetic wrote:
It is embarrassing that a township with the education levels we have and having one of the highest per capita income levels in the state has such petty and sophomoric politics.
We need professional, pro-business, civic minded folks in office, NOT these bomb throwing, mean spirited, and divisive individuals.
I could not agree more. Which brings me to the question, How did we ever elect Leneghan in the first place. Bob Mann did an excellent job, and was instrumental in keeping Wal Mart out, which by the way, benefited the nearby residents, Leneghan and Guzzo.
Guzzo's first term as trustee was a disaster. Leneghan's is shaping up to be just as bad or worse. Yet, these ladies think they are right, and the rest of the world is wrong. I understand a large part of this political firestorm is due to Guzzo, who wants to run for trustee again. It is her and Leneghan's intention to try and make Sybert, and Carducci look bad to enhance Guzzo's chances at election. How low some people will go to get elected never ceases to amaze me.
I hope the lesson that Liberty Township and Powell residents get from this is that neither Guzzo nor Leneghan have the best interests of the residents in mind. It is all about them. That is not helpful to the township.
You are nuts

Powell, OH

#493 Oct 29, 2012
Down in the mud now wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not agree more. Which brings me to the question, How did we ever elect Leneghan in the first place. Bob Mann did an excellent job, and was instrumental in keeping Wal Mart out, which by the way, benefited the nearby residents, Leneghan and Guzzo.
Guzzo's first term as trustee was a disaster. Leneghan's is shaping up to be just as bad or worse. Yet, these ladies think they are right, and the rest of the world is wrong. I understand a large part of this political firestorm is due to Guzzo, who wants to run for trustee again. It is her and Leneghan's intention to try and make Sybert, and Carducci look bad to enhance Guzzo's chances at election. How low some people will go to get elected never ceases to amaze me.
I hope the lesson that Liberty Township and Powell residents get from this is that neither Guzzo nor Leneghan have the best interests of the residents in mind. It is all about them. That is not helpful to the township.
If Bob Mann did such an excellent job, and he had endorsements from many county officeholders and US Congressman Pat Tiberi, then why did he lose? Because he and Mary Carducci are law partners in a two person firm and he was a terrible trustee. You can argue all you want, but he lost. It wasn't even close, 58% to 42%. He lost 22 out of 23 precincts, including his own.

You conveniently left out that Mary Carducci benefited from the WalMart not being built, too. She lives in Wedgewood, just like Leneghan and Gerber.

If you want to talk about getting low to get elected, then you should talk about the packet of information Mary Carducci mailed out to many people about Leneghan. It was about 20 pages long and amounted to absolutely nothing. It was a total joke. People don't really know Mary Cardicci at all otherwise they would have never elected her. She is a mean, bitter person. She is the one who made such a big deal over Leneghan refering to a female FF as their "token female." Coincidentally, Carducci only made a big deal over it AFTER Leneghan said she would not support a 6.6mil levy. The incident happened six months prior to the "big show" Carducci put on for the media, including having the female FF show up in public session and demand a public apology. Sybert and Carducci even hired legal counsel to write up a worthless reprimand for Leneghan. More wasted money and NONE of it was helpful to the township. It was all about Carducci and her bitterness. Let's not forget that Leneghan beat Carducci for a seat on central committee, even though Carducci had the same endorsements as Bob Mann for trustee and had held the seat for many years.

Petty? Yes. Very. People should wonder why they ever elected Carducci...or Sybert or Gerber. Leneghan hasn't done on thing to hurt the township, unlike Sybert, Carducci and Gerber, who put our township's fire department at risk by waiting until the last minute to put a levy on the ballot. Absolute and total negligence. I hope Mark Gerber has finally realized when presidential primaries are held in the state of Ohio. He said they didn't have the levy ready for the primary because the legislature moved up the election date from May to March. Wrong. Presidential primaries have been held in March since 2000. He's either a complete idiot or a liar. You choose.
Start Over Vote NO

Netherlands

#494 Oct 29, 2012
It is clear that Liberty Township voters must Vote No. The Township incumbents, Sybert, Carducci and Gerber simply did not do their job. Go back do your homework and comeback to the voters with a more reasonable proposal.
You are nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
If Bob Mann did such an excellent job, and he had endorsements from many county officeholders and US Congressman Pat Tiberi, then why did he lose? Because he and Mary Carducci are law partners in a two person firm and he was a terrible trustee. You can argue all you want, but he lost. It wasn't even close, 58% to 42%. He lost 22 out of 23 precincts, including his own.
You conveniently left out that Mary Carducci benefited from the WalMart not being built, too. She lives in Wedgewood, just like Leneghan and Gerber.
If you want to talk about getting low to get elected, then you should talk about the packet of information Mary Carducci mailed out to many people about Leneghan. It was about 20 pages long and amounted to absolutely nothing. It was a total joke. People don't really know Mary Cardicci at all otherwise they would have never elected her. She is a mean, bitter person. She is the one who made such a big deal over Leneghan refering to a female FF as their "token female." Coincidentally, Carducci only made a big deal over it AFTER Leneghan said she would not support a 6.6mil levy. The incident happened six months prior to the "big show" Carducci put on for the media, including having the female FF show up in public session and demand a public apology. Sybert and Carducci even hired legal counsel to write up a worthless reprimand for Leneghan. More wasted money and NONE of it was helpful to the township. It was all about Carducci and her bitterness. Let's not forget that Leneghan beat Carducci for a seat on central committee, even though Carducci had the same endorsements as Bob Mann for trustee and had held the seat for many years.
Petty? Yes. Very. People should wonder why they ever elected Carducci...or Sybert or Gerber. Leneghan hasn't done on thing to hurt the township, unlike Sybert, Carducci and Gerber, who put our township's fire department at risk by waiting until the last minute to put a levy on the ballot. Absolute and total negligence. I hope Mark Gerber has finally realized when presidential primaries are held in the state of Ohio. He said they didn't have the levy ready for the primary because the legislature moved up the election date from May to March. Wrong. Presidential primaries have been held in March since 2000. He's either a complete idiot or a liar. You choose.
Insurance Hoax

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#495 Oct 30, 2012
If the Levy is voted down Delaware county will provide first rate certified EMS service. Homeowners insurance is not affected by EMS coverage. There will still be Township funds available for fire overage so rates will not go up. And a February 2013 Levy for renewal at the current 6 mil or below rate will take care of any future new Fire Equipment needs.
funny

Marysville, OH

#496 Oct 30, 2012
Insurance Hoax wrote:
If the Levy is voted down Delaware county will provide first rate certified EMS service. Homeowners insurance is not affected by EMS coverage. There will still be Township funds available for fire overage so rates will not go up. And a February 2013 Levy for renewal at the current 6 mil or below rate will take care of any future new Fire Equipment needs.
These keep getting better and better! This so so funny, let me count the ways. Uh...wrong, wrong and wrong.
whatever

Lancaster, OH

#497 Oct 30, 2012
Insurance Hoax wrote:
First of all show your facts you guys have none!Im in the insurance business so chew on this.If the levy fails your insurance rates will go up.how you may ask.learn about ISO ratings.The ISO rating is used to determine the insurance rates for the community that the fire dept is responsible for.The communities are rated on items like fire dept manpower,equipment and training,water supply and communications. so if the levy fails firefigthers get laid off a fire station closes and fewer trucks come to rescue you when you need it. as for the county being first rate ems hows their training compaired to career firefighters/paramedics. so once again get your facts straight. thats right you have NONE.
Delaware County EMS ISO

Toronto, Canada

#498 Oct 30, 2012
Just as good or better than Liberty Township.
funny

Marysville, OH

#499 Oct 30, 2012
Delaware County EMS ISO wrote:
Just as good or better than Liberty Township.
You really need to stop, you're not helping your cause by saying things like this that you obviously know nothing about. Delaware Co EMS does not have an ISO rating. It is for fire protection only. There is no insurance rating for EMS protection.
Exactly

Toronto, Canada

#500 Oct 30, 2012
Vote down the Levy, let Delaware County takeover EMS, comeback with a lower levy in 2013 for Fire Services, and do not worry about insurance premiums going up.
funny wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to stop, you're not helping your cause by saying things like this that you obviously know nothing about. Delaware Co EMS does not have an ISO rating. It is for fire protection only. There is no insurance rating for EMS protection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 28 min Concerned Brother 953
trick or treat 30 min new to town 3
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 48 min They cannot kill ... 3,541
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 55 min Pope Che Reagan C... 384
Mitchell Eichhorn Incoming Libewrty Twp Trustee... (Jan '14) 57 min Melanie Must Go 34
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 58 min Pope Che Reagan C... 31,466
Early Voting VICTORY for Ohio! 1 hr Duke for Mayor 21
Powell Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Powell Jobs

Powell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Powell News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Powell

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]