Liberty Township Firefighters Eat

Posted in the Powell Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fireman

Ashburn, VA

#1 Mar 2, 2012
Every morning around 10 am they pull up at Krogers in their 1 mile per gallon Fire Engine ,EMS vehicles to shop on the taxpayers dime for food. Most of their Body Weight Indexes indicate that they are well fed on the job. Question do we pay for their food and time away from work to shop? Why do they only shop at Krogers?? Kick back?? What is wrong with Giant Eagle across the street.??
not all of them

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Mar 2, 2012
Well first off they have to drive there one gallon per mile vehicle in case there is a call while they are shopping for food. Secondly they all go so if there is a call they don't have to waste time to go back to the station to pick the other members of the crew up. Thirdly, they are usually on a 24 hour shift where they have to stay at the station over night. Would you rather they order food out everynight or go to the grocery and pick up supplies for their meals. And yes thetaxpayers pay for that. it is part of the fire levys and budget they work on every year.
question moron

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 2, 2012
would it be okay with you if they did go to the Giant Eagle? You sound a little paranoid....kickback...serious ly? Who would be doing this kickback?

What are you doing every day at 10 so you can see these guys shopping. Seems like you need to contribute to society and get a job instead of worrying about stuff you don't know anything about
Well informed

Somerset, KY

#4 Mar 15, 2012
To "fireman" .....although i seriously doubt the title due to your mis information......the trucks you are referring to at their worst get 4 mpg. Medic trucks are somewhere around 6-8 mpg.... They shop with THEIR MONEY that comes from THEIR BANK ACCOUNT though the money they earned was earned from tax payer dollars it is not you directly paying for the food. And as for the kroger / giant eagle issue......really? Are you seriously complaining about where they shop? Also, how would you have any idea what their body weight indexes are? Are you their doctor? And if so isnt that a breech of patient confidentiality or an ethics violation? Time away from work to shop........ummmmm. They kinda of have to stay with the trucks so respond to emergency calls.
Why

Ashburn, VA

#5 Mar 31, 2012
can't they do their grocery shopping before they go on shift?? Rather than congregating at Krogers everyday they could be working out or polishing their truckks and making sure their hoses work.
Well informed

Somerset, KY

#6 Apr 2, 2012
no....they cant do their grocery shopping before they go on shift. They dont know who all is eating meals that day until THAT DAY. They check the equipment before anything else (except emergency calls) working out generally happens towards the evening and sometimes before lunch because regular training is usually scheduled after lunch at most firehouses. And why are you sooooo concerned about where they shop? I suppose you think that because you pay taxes you should be able to tell them where to shop? YOU DO NOT PAY FOR THEIR GROCERIES!!!! They EARN a paycheck and each day money is collected from each individual to buy food.
Oh Come On

Tempe, AZ

#7 Apr 3, 2012
Surely not everyone needs to go to the store. Since they all seem to shop at one store have they ever inquired about delivery?? If not from the store itself, then how about from a delivery service? Four fireman at $60 per hour (including benefits) is way too much money to charge the taxpayers for grocery shopping. Have they considered a freezer?? Maybe the Assistant Fire Chief could go to the store for them or one of the Liberty Township clerical employees.All they have to do is make a list and email it to the store for pick up by the employees. Less than 1 hour of time for one person versus a daily group shopping spree
Do you own giant eagle

Somerset, KY

#8 Apr 3, 2012
still with the anti kroger comments?...delivery costs money....money that comes out of their pocket. And yes, everyone assinged to the truck that goes to the store has to go each day when man power doesnt allow for one person to go. The minimum man power for a fire truck is three. How is it you propose to take one of those people away to go to the store? What if a fire call comes in while the third person is at the store? Delaying response times can be life threatening.....no matter how you want to twist it. They are being paid to protect.....your comment about $60/hr(and i question your math) to grocery shop is unfounded......they are still in service and available to take emergency calls as needed so how is it you think they are being paid only to grocery shop? Grocery shopping on duty is a fact of life in the fire service. Would you rather they take an hour lunch like the corporate world? Shutting off their radios and not taking emergency calls so they can get in their personal vehicle to go to lunch? Doesnt sound so smart when you compare it that way does it? since you are in the area every morning when they shop perhaps you would like to volunteer to get the groceries and drop them off? Have you taken these concerns to the fire chief? If not why blog about it? Maybe he can offer some insight as to why they allow this to happen this way.
Idea

Portsmouth, OH

#9 Apr 6, 2012
Since the people complaining have so much time on their hands, why don't they make a deal with the firefighters. Why don't you get the grocery list from the fire fighters and you go to the store and do the grocery shopping. That way the fire fighters can stay at the fire house and you will have something to do with you life. I don't think they would really care if you went to Kroger's or Giant Eagle !!
No new taxes

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 22, 2012
We need to band together and rid our town of these union thugs.The fire department should be shut down! Insurance companies can inspect the business, towing and wreckers can handle car wrecks, private ambulance can haul people to the hospital, and volunteers can put out the fires in the area. Over paid union thugs are just more entitlements for stupid people. I heard that these union thugs sleep, watch TV, and work out in the gym while getting paid. Well not on my dime! It time that we vote no on every tax increase these free loaders beg for.
Wow!

Sunbury, OH

#11 Apr 24, 2012
I'm not sure what the Fire Department has ever done to you but Wow! In my community they are the back bone. The ones who no matter what the call maybe, are ALWAYS there. I couldn't imagine if there was actually no Fire Department. They care for complete strangers when lets face it, we go on about our day because it wasn't us. I myself have never had to use them before but my neighbors house caught fire last summer and they did an amazing job! I hope and pray if I need them someday they are still around to help. Why is everyone so down on these guys anyways? They work hard! Sure, they may not have a fire every single second of the day but I wouldn't want to do their job! Its crazy to run into a burning building when you and I would be sprinting out!
Overpaid

Tempe, AZ

#12 Apr 27, 2012
$65 k min per year with superior health benefits and the ability to retire early, find another double dip job, and get paid to sleep overnight and then go grocery shopping with your buds. Wow just another day in the Liberty Township Fire Department. Whomever the Firechief is it is all about spending more money for the latest gadgets (claiming without it lives will be lost blah blah blah.) and not about saving money.A volunteer fire dept and DELCO EMS will do just fine. No need to have double coverage. If the populace wants more then start charging for fire runs and EMS. Users pay . No need to support those who don't put smoke detectors in their homes or smoke in their homes or who have kids that play with matches.
Wow!

Sunbury, OH

#13 Apr 27, 2012
Overpaid wrote:
$65 k min per year with superior health benefits and the ability to retire early, find another double dip job, and get paid to sleep overnight and then go grocery shopping with your buds. Wow just another day in the Liberty Township Fire Department. Whomever the Firechief is it is all about spending more money for the latest gadgets (claiming without it lives will be lost blah blah blah.) and not about saving money.A volunteer fire dept and DELCO EMS will do just fine. No need to have double coverage. If the populace wants more then start charging for fire runs and EMS. Users pay . No need to support those who don't put smoke detectors in their homes or smoke in their homes or who have kids that play with matches.
are you going to volunteer?
Insulting

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 28, 2012
question moron wrote:
would it be okay with you if they did go to the Giant Eagle? You sound a little paranoid....kickback...serious ly? Who would be doing this kickback?
What are you doing every day at 10 so you can see these guys shopping. Seems like you need to contribute to society and get a job instead of worrying about stuff you don't know anything about
The people usually at Kroger at 10AM are stay-at-home moms and retirees. Get a job and contribute to society? Being a mother IS a job and a huge contribution to society. I don't know one stay-at-home mom who isn't a college gradute and who worked before staying home to raise their children, thus opening up a position in the workforce for someone else. And this is the thanks we get? Shame on you for such a wretched comment! You owe a huge apology to all of the people you just insuted.

BTW, the firefighters pay for their own groceries...and the kickback comment is RIDICULOUS!!!
Just Like The Rest

Ashburn, VA

#15 Jun 28, 2012
Fireboys and firegirls should do their shopping like those in the private sector- on their own time. Grocery stores are open 24 hrs per day so why can't the girls and boys buy their groceries before they come to work?? Coffeemakers should be made available at each station as an appliance-no need for coffee breaks at the local Starbucks.
Shopping Suggestion

Columbus, OH

#16 Jul 16, 2012
The fire department says the fire truck is taken to Krogers to buy groceries in case there is a call during the shopping. All of the firefighters go so the truck wont have have to go back to the station to pick up the firefighters for a call. Would response time or coverage affected if one person took a car to the grocery store and did the shopping. If there is no depart car available a personal car could be used and the driver could be reimbursed. This is done every day in private business and goverment.

This may not seem like it is worth the trouble to the fire department, but even though we live in an affluent area many people are being affected by the economy. They may see the fire department differently it at least looked at cost saving ideas.
Assistant Firechief

Sacramento, CA

#17 Jul 16, 2012
Sounds like a good job for the assistant Fire Chief who doesn't ride on the Fire and EMS trucks.
Jason

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 16, 2012
No new taxes wrote:
We need to band together and rid our town of these union thugs.The fire department should be shut down! Insurance companies can inspect the business, towing and wreckers can handle car wrecks, private ambulance can haul people to the hospital, and volunteers can put out the fires in the area. Over paid union thugs are just more entitlements for stupid people. I heard that these union thugs sleep, watch TV, and work out in the gym while getting paid. Well not on my dime! It time that we vote no on every tax increase these free loaders beg for.
idiot! your too stupid to make comment on this
Hungry

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#19 Aug 3, 2012
The fireboys and the firegirl must have been really hungry today as it took two ladder trucks to cart them to Krogers around 10:00 am today. Chief Jensen just doesn't get it perception counts.
Election Year

Toronto, Canada

#21 Aug 16, 2012
Might it be that Chief Jensen has seen the light. Only 1 4x4 Liberty township Fire Dept. pu truck at Krogers today? Finally they left the ladder trucks and staff back at the station and sent a lone representative to buy the food and NO
STARBUCKS . Perception counts Chief Jensen, but after the election will it be back to the same old routine

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sean Hannity 48 min Male 1,022
Morgan Freeman | Just Another ,,,,,,, 56 min Barry Soetoro 1
Are Whites A Minority In Columbus? 59 min Buck Rhinehorn 11
President Trump says Venezuela has freed Americ... 59 min Tim 3
News Democrats say FBI probe makes them unwilling to... 2 hr Tim 11
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 2 hr Talk what you know 444
N.Korea wants Peace? Then destroy Their NUKES 2 hr NoDenuke-NoDeal 8

Powell Jobs

Personal Finance

Powell Mortgages