What happened at the powder room?

What happened at the powder room?

Posted in the Powell Forum

wondering

Columbus, OH

#1 Apr 11, 2010
I went to try to shoot. Not anything monumental. Upon my arrival, with fellow shooting comrade, we found the parking lot blockaded by an unmarked police vehicle. Behind it, in the parking lot sat two Powell police cruisers. The men in the unmarked sedan stated the power room was closed for the rest of the day. When we passed a second time and asked if it would be open tomorrow (04/12/2010), the officer responded saying "It should be, most likely."
Never saw anything pertaining to this on the news or this site. I was wondering, as was my friend, what blew up at the powder room?
Tim

United States

#2 Apr 12, 2010
A Man rented a gun and killed himself.
Stacey

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 12, 2010
My brother was there with a CCW class, a 50 something gentleman was shooting in the stall next to the class. He was very nervous and kept watching the class behind him (in the class room) and then all of a sudden put the gun up to his throat and shot upwards.
My brother and his class were kept for the next 2 hrs out in the parking lot and questioned (police procedure) and helped identify if this guy had a car in the parking lot. He had not identifiction and paid cash. How in the heck you can rent a gun and not have an ID is beyond me! They said it would not be in the paper due to "fear of copy cats".
Granville

Powell, OH

#4 Apr 13, 2010
Please do not add further comments on this subject out of consideration for the family. Thank you.
Jenny

Fredericksburg, VA

#5 Apr 14, 2010
I visited The Powder Room on Friday with my sister for the first time, we had so much fun we came back on Sunday. We were headed up to the counter after using the restroom and some women started shouting to call 911 a man just got shot. The employee's checked things out and called 911. In the parking lot a gentlemen explained that a person had a self inflicted wound up through his throat. When we went on Friday they didn't check our ID's either. We thought maybe since we had called prior to arriving and asked if there was an age restriction, I explained we were 24 and 29. We had assumed they just didn't need our identification. I am so happy we decided to go to the ATM before arriving, if we hadn't we would have been in there. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and especially with the employees and patrons of The Powder Room. I was visiting from Virginia and am now home, this will not stop me from using The Powder Room or any other shooting range.
Dublin Shooter

Dublin, OH

#6 Jun 9, 2010
Date 6/9/2010
Just called the Powder Room (3:00 PM) The man that answered the phone said the Powder Room was closed until further notice. He stated: "we are working on some issues".
Wonder what the issues are?
colgun

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Jun 10, 2010
Dublin Shooter wrote:
Date 6/9/2010
Just called the Powder Room (3:00 PM) The man that answered the phone said the Powder Room was closed until further notice. He stated: "we are working on some issues".
Wonder what the issues are?
Heard gun store is open...range closed. Not sure what's going on
Bullseye

Van Wert, OH

#8 Jul 8, 2010
They said the range is closed until further notice due to Powell officials requiring a "range certification". They are having a hard time getting someone to do it because there is not such thing. They guys are very upset and believe it is political. Powell political...right. Rumors of bullets leaving the range is BS.
Howard

Hilliard, OH

#9 Aug 2, 2010
I hope they sell the place to someone who knows how to run a shooting range. That guy with the mustache and that old lady are no good at all.
Dimon must not like guns

Powell, OH

#10 Aug 3, 2010
If they are trying to shut down the Powder Room, one of two things is driving it:
1) Dimon McFerson is behind it.
2) There's money comeing from Blackwing to the Politician's in Powell in an effort to eliminate competition.

Either way, it stinks!
You wish

Dublin, OH

#11 Sep 1, 2010
Dimon must not like guns wrote:
If they are trying to shut down the Powder Room, one of two things is driving it:
1) Dimon McFerson is behind it.
2) There's money comeing from Blackwing to the Politician's in Powell in an effort to eliminate competition.
Either way, it stinks!
No it doesn't, Blackwing is a 5 star shooting range and that Powder Room which I went many times, absolutely SUCKS!!!! Why would anyone want to go to a place where you can only rent .38 special revolvers and .22 long rifle caliber pistols? cheap pistols I might add. Their team was generally good but it just took one time where I got horribly treated and they never saw a dime from me again got news for them on that. Im glad they are shut down, long live New Albany shooting range and Blackwing. They should see about noise because you can hear the noise from outside the building and you know its true if you were around there. If I owned one of those houses really close I would be pissed off big time. Its not big loss, plenty of ranges that are far better to go to and with nicer staff. Blackwing and NASR will always have my business and Im getting happy as heck about it, oh yeah both let you rent practically anything to shoot, Powder room is outdated,outqualitied, and out done period. GET OVER IT
You wish

Dublin, OH

#12 Sep 1, 2010
Bullseye wrote:
They said the range is closed until further notice due to Powell officials requiring a "range certification". They are having a hard time getting someone to do it because there is not such thing. They guys are very upset and believe it is political. Powell political...right. Rumors of bullets leaving the range is BS.
Really twit face? did you personally inspect their range and make sure that's not capable? I doubt it. Your full of S and so is that pitiful building and staff, good riddance. NASR and Blackwing kick its ass any day of the week with how many dif guns you can rent, rent a lane practicly all day for around 20 bucks and have a better time cause your not crowded. Powell is just a town that likes to be safe and quiet, don't like it don't live there. AND STAY THE F OUT OF DUBLIN TOO! we don't want crazies here
Bullseye

Van Wert, OH

#13 Dec 2, 2010
People make some the wildest claims!!! Obviously "You Wish" has never shot at the poweder Room since you misrepresented the rental guns big time. You are truely one of few minority that think New Albany is better and cheaper. Blackwing is nice but also not cheaper. What the hell to you need to have to shoot your guns? I don't need a classy range. The Powder Room's bullseye league has the best shooters in central Ohio; I would put them against any of the other ranges any day. The staff at the Powder Room have always been good to me. Just regular guys. And the old lady has been gone for over 10 years!!!!
stray bullet

Powell, OH

#14 Dec 10, 2010
Bullseye wrote:
Bullets were leaving the back of the building when the backstop failed.
Dimon

Powell, OH

#15 Dec 13, 2010
Doesn't live in Powell.
Topgun

Lima, OH

#16 Dec 29, 2010
You wish wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't, Blackwing is a 5 star shooting range and that Powder Room which I went many times, absolutely SUCKS!!!! Why would anyone want to go to a place where you can only rent .38 special revolvers and .22 long rifle caliber pistols? cheap pistols I might add. Their team was generally good but it just took one time where I got horribly treated and they never saw a dime from me again got news for them on that. Im glad they are shut down, long live New Albany shooting range and Blackwing. They should see about noise because you can hear the noise from outside the building and you know its true if you were around there. If I owned one of those houses really close I would be pissed off big time. Its not big loss, plenty of ranges that are far better to go to and with nicer staff. Blackwing and NASR will always have my business and Im getting happy as heck about it, oh yeah both let you rent practically anything to shoot, Powder room is outdated,outqualitied, and out done period. GET OVER IT
Which came first the noise from the shooting range or the housing developments? John Trowbridge who was the areas zoning inspector built the Powder Room shooting range long before Dublin & Powell started to develop. They had an indoor 100 yard range and a Hogan's alley, in addition to the 50ft indoor bullseye firing points. Get over it, the range is grandfathered and is an asset to the community.
EdL

Westerville, OH

#17 Jun 23, 2011
Topgun wrote:
<quoted text>
Which came first the noise from the shooting range or the housing developments? John Trowbridge who was the areas zoning inspector built the Powder Room shooting range long before Dublin & Powell started to develop. They had an indoor 100 yard range and a Hogan's alley, in addition to the 50ft indoor bullseye firing points. Get over it, the range is grandfathered and is an asset to the community.
I think it was Bob Trowbridge. He carried around matchbooks that had a small black dot on the cover, that said "can you hit this?". While building a house at the Retreat, years ago, he stopped to inspect something, and we asked him if he could hit it. He put it on a pile of wood, and fired away. Never touched the matchbook, let alone the bullseye.
andrew

Columbus, OH

#18 Sep 1, 2011
the powder room is the only reason i visit powell. i live in westerville btw
Packing 40

Columbus, OH

#19 Oct 14, 2012
Well yesterday was my first visit to powder room and the staff I meet was very nice and the range is great what do you want in a range. It's a place to shoot your gun. It doesn't have a butler or someone asking you if you would like a cup of tea
Againg it's a shooting range and the price is right to go shoot. You see new Albany is in it for the money. Wow. 21 pluse to go shoot. Wow pluse they make money from your brass.
Wake up be happy and go shoot

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muslims beat woman for wearing bikini French ou... 7 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 47
Poll Panty hose vs bare skin What is your preference? 8 hr Seriouslady 153
Pull your pants up. 8 hr Seriouslady 21
For Cat Lovers Only! 8 hr Doc 179
What does anyone know about a guy named Da'Wayn... 9 hr Pam 3
News Dive team wants to raise dam in effort to find ... 10 hr jesse 7
ayfkm? 11 hr cowboy heroes 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Powell Mortgages