Douglasville / Douglas County. How do...
Bud

Carrollton, GA

#104 Jan 12, 2011
Lewholt wrote:
<quoted text>lol, me too. But most of the people in here are good folks. I think Downtown is the key. All the old empty buildings are kinda unnerving when you drive past them.
thats obamas politics for you.RUN THE SMALL BUSINESS PEOPLE OUT OF A JOB.Make them worship at the feet of obama.
Bud

Carrollton, GA

#105 Jan 12, 2011
Lewholt wrote:
<quoted text>Great idea. We have way too much local government. Those people in Johns Creek and Milton and Dunwoody and Sandy springs will find out in 20 years when all the cops and firemen and politicians start retiring.Did Fulton County and Dekalb County lay off firemen and police officers when the new cities sprang up. Me thinks not.
same way with realtors.There is 5000 realtors in douglas county to sell one house.Unless you are female, and can give it up, the hard tails are not going to make a sale.Should start making them pay like five thousand a year for a realtors license to sell real estate.That would generate another 250,000 in taxes into douglas county.They should not be able to just hang an old realtors license on the wall and start selling.Plus they could pay a 10% tax on every house they sold that would also generate MORE MONEY FOR OUR COUNTY
Ronnie R

Lithia Springs, GA

#106 Jan 13, 2011
Bud wrote:
<quoted text>
same way with realtors.There is 5000 realtors in douglas county to sell one house.Unless you are female, and can give it up, the hard tails are not going to make a sale.Should start making them pay like five thousand a year for a realtors license to sell real estate.That would generate another 250,000 in taxes into douglas county.They should not be able to just hang an old realtors license on the wall and start selling.Plus they could pay a 10% tax on every house they sold that would also generate MORE MONEY FOR OUR COUNTY
The problem isn't not enough taxes. The problem is too much spending.

Since: Jul 07

Douglasville

#107 Jan 13, 2011
Lewholt wrote:
We also have to get the racism under control in the county. Certainly, people can't be that ignorant in 2011. I'm not religious but certainly they aren't learning that in the local churches.
As much as I agree with you on this Lew...how are you going to mandate this. You can not make a law to govern feelings or someones emotions. I onced believed each generation improved, but listening to what my child says happens at school I believe it's a long way from coming.

Since: Feb 08

Douglasville, Georgia

#108 Jan 13, 2011
Mugsy wrote:
<quoted text>
As much as I agree with you on this Lew...how are you going to mandate this. You can not make a law to govern feelings or someones emotions. I onced believed each generation improved, but listening to what my child says happens at school I believe it's a long way from coming.
Exactly! My daughter comes home with all sorts of stories from her day, and it isn't the type of racism you would expect. Reverse racism and bigotry is alive and well.
so then

Lithia Springs, GA

#109 Jan 16, 2011
ANON ME wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting rid of Mickey would help bring companies here. He drives business away.
yes!
LP of DC

Lithia Springs, GA

#110 Jan 17, 2011
Get involved - attend the meetings.

Next meetings you could try to go to:

Tuesday 1/18/11 10am Douglas County Commission
Tuesday 1/18/11 7pm DC Board of Education
Tuesday 1/18/11 7:30pm Douglasville City Council
miajoon

Lithia Springs, GA

#111 Jan 17, 2011
Mugsy wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that hard to believe, I could be wrong. I still say put them to work
It is expensive whether you house them here or there. The best average cost for Georgia that I could come up with is about $45 per day per inmate. Once our new jail is full, that translates to $67,000 per day. An article in Sunday's paper about a for-profit prison for illegal immigrants in Lumpkin indicates that the cost is $60 per inmate. The state pays us $25 per day, which is clearly a losing proposition.

To keep an inmate, you have to house him in a cell that cost about $80,000 per bed to construct. You have to feed him, clothe him, and guard him. You also have to provide him basic medical care, which is becoming the worst of nightmares. It makes $45 per day sound like a bargain.

An interesting article in the paper yesterday talks about our new Governor's plan to reduce the cost of incarceration in Georgia. We have 53,000 people locked up, which he realizes is unsustainable. One of every 13 Georgians is in jail, on parole, probation, or in community service. His son is a judge in Hall County, and has a program for non-violent drug offenders that allows them to remain out of jail if they stay clean, pay the cost of their supervision, and they must be working. It turns out that only about 7% fail. Look for him to propose to incorporate these ideas state wide.

I have never thought much of Nathan Deal, but if he starts looking at alternatives to "Lock 'em up and throw away the key", I will be on board. The cost to society of our legal system is strangling us. It costs 10 times as much in some places to keep a person locked up for a year as it does to educate a child for a year.

I agree we should put them to work, but out in society, not in jail- unless they are a flight risk or have committed a violent crime.
GA Peach

Hiram, GA

#112 Jan 18, 2011
Getting rid of Mighty Mickey Mouse as dictator of Douglasville is the only way to start making things better!
LP of DC

Lithia Springs, GA

#113 Feb 1, 2011
We would love to have you bring your ideas to our meeting tonight February 1 at the Douglas County Library 6:45pm-7:45pm.

Libertarian Party of Douglas County - striving for open and responsive local government.

Since: Jul 07

Douglasville

#114 Feb 1, 2011
miajoon wrote:
<quoted text>
It is expensive whether you house them here or there. The best average cost for Georgia that I could come up with is about $45 per day per inmate. Once our new jail is full, that translates to $67,000 per day. An article in Sunday's paper about a for-profit prison for illegal immigrants in Lumpkin indicates that the cost is $60 per inmate. The state pays us $25 per day, which is clearly a losing proposition.
To keep an inmate, you have to house him in a cell that cost about $80,000 per bed to construct. You have to feed him, clothe him, and guard him. You also have to provide him basic medical care, which is becoming the worst of nightmares. It makes $45 per day sound like a bargain.
An interesting article in the paper yesterday talks about our new Governor's plan to reduce the cost of incarceration in Georgia. We have 53,000 people locked up, which he realizes is unsustainable. One of every 13 Georgians is in jail, on parole, probation, or in community service. His son is a judge in Hall County, and has a program for non-violent drug offenders that allows them to remain out of jail if they stay clean, pay the cost of their supervision, and they must be working. It turns out that only about 7% fail. Look for him to propose to incorporate these ideas state wide.
I have never thought much of Nathan Deal, but if he starts looking at alternatives to "Lock 'em up and throw away the key", I will be on board. The cost to society of our legal system is strangling us. It costs 10 times as much in some places to keep a person locked up for a year as it does to educate a child for a year.
I agree we should put them to work, but out in society, not in jail- unless they are a flight risk or have committed a violent crime.
I agree but here's a thought that I heard on "Harry's Law" last night that made sense to me. Kids getting out of college right now can't get a job, what makes you think someone who has a crimnal record would be put on the top of the hire list?
NYC

Douglasville, GA

#115 Feb 1, 2011
ANON ME wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I was thinking of putting section 8 on my dream list, but stopped because it's a federal program. As long as I'm dreaming, I should have put it on the list!
You can't stop all rentals. It would create an entire new laundry list of problems.
Actually you can stop section 8 rentals and rentals in general. In NY you have to go threw HOA board approval to rent our your condo or co-op. I wonder if you can put the same rule in a subdivision HOA in GA.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#116 Feb 1, 2011
wow, would that be an idea for the hoa. it won't happen though. most low income neighborhoods are just that. low income. they can not afford the luxury of an hoa and its rules. it would definitely benefit them. in my business i see the same neighborhoods out here when they were built years ago. nothing changes in them. i have seen the same torn up patio cover on a house along chicage avenue for years on the back porch. until recently it was there still. the wind came along and blew it off the deck porch and now it sits on the ground. been there for a month. things won;t ever change in these neighborhoods. until then, you will get section 8 creeping in. it is ineviitable. sad to say, but true.
General Lee

Dallas, GA

#117 Feb 1, 2011
Shut down Arbor Place Mall, let the stores move to other vacant buildings, and turn the former mall property into a greenspace, lake, fishing, boats, small coffee shops, wifi, small concerts, and use it as well for training police on how to eradicate the thugs.
former resident

Decatur, GA

#118 Feb 10, 2011
How to improve Douglasville

1. Learn to think outside of the box. Not everything fits nice and neatly into a check marked box. There are so many ways to tap into resources in this county that are missed because of an inability to think outside of the box.
Stop viewing people that think outside of the box, as misfits or criminals, and look for new ideas.

2. change the process of bringing problems to the county. When somebody has a "legitimate gripe", take time to discuss solutions that are back and forth conversations- not "You have three minutes", with a message of sit down and shut up, with an implied message of "go away".

3. Integrate the city and county. There are issues with flood plains in this county. The city addresses one piece of the problem, the county another. The city is part of the county.

4. Focus more on education and less on prisons. The former will take care of the latter.

5. Fix problems. Stop sweeping them under the rug. Foreclosure is a huge problem in this county. there are many reasons, but so much of this is preventable. For example: Suppose you are the county and need a new air conditioning or heating system, and this will cost 100,000. The government is broke. Could some agency "lease" one of these empty houses? This saves the home from foreclosure and saves the government and "taxpayer" money, while the owner of the home can continue to pay tax, generating revenues for county?

6. The federal government has grant money available for communities that "go green". Why not tap into this money, and improve the infrastructure, while creating jobs?

7. Teach people that one person can make a difference.

8. I like the idea about shutting down Arbor Place Mall and turning it into greenspace, which is what it was, prior to the mall being built. Fill the surrounding buildings with businesses. I hadn't thought of that before, but I like the idea.

9. Open government is needed. How about posting all of the planning notes for the county this past year. How come half of it is "inaudible"?

10.Focus on public safety in this community and listen to citizens.

A few months ago, I attended a festival in Decatur, and when I sat down at the picnic table with the food I had just purchased, I saw a bench on one side of the table where my friend sat, and I sat on the other side. I didn't look down to assume there was a bench, just sat the food on the table, and then fell to the ground as the bench was missing. I wasn't hurt, but when I saw the police man I let him know that this bench was missing the seat, and I didn't want to see somebody get hurt, so let him know. His response back was why didn't you look first? Maybe I should have, but the point was that the community had a festival with a table missing a bench. There was a public safety issue. I went back about a month later. the table had not been fixed. It was Decatur, but it could have been Douglasville.
When you know about a public safety issue, fix it. Don't blame the messenger for bringing the problem to your attention!
NYC

Atlanta, GA

#119 Feb 10, 2011
not pc anymore wrote:
wow, would that be an idea for the hoa. it won't happen though. most low income neighborhoods are just that. low income. they can not afford the luxury of an hoa and its rules. it would definitely benefit them. in my business i see the same neighborhoods out here when they were built years ago. nothing changes in them. i have seen the same torn up patio cover on a house along chicage avenue for years on the back porch. until recently it was there still. the wind came along and blew it off the deck porch and now it sits on the ground. been there for a month. things won;t ever change in these neighborhoods. until then, you will get section 8 creeping in. it is ineviitable. sad to say, but true.
Most of the newer subdivision already have an HOA. The fees range from 250 to 600 a year. At least from what I seen when I was looking for my house. I pay $250 year for my HOA fees. I would like for them to get off their ass and do something. And making some rules about rental properties would be a start.

Since: Sep 09

Lithia Springs, GA

#120 Feb 10, 2011
NYC wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of the newer subdivision already have an HOA. The fees range from 250 to 600 a year. At least from what I seen when I was looking for my house. I pay $250 year for my HOA fees. I would like for them to get off their ass and do something. And making some rules about rental properties would be a start.
I'm gld and happy for you that a HOA works for you but not everyone wants a board of people to tell them what they can do on their own property. It has nothing to do with low income people either. If you want to live in a clubhouse neighborhood that is fine but you can't force people into one. I like my 13 acres and the privacy it afords us. If I want to fly a huge American flag next to our barn that is my right. I just have a problem with paying $300,000 for a home and then I can't do what I wish (within reason of course) with it. I reckon what I am saying HOA's aren't for everyone.
NYC

Atlanta, GA

#121 Feb 10, 2011
Dont Tread On Me 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm gld and happy for you that a HOA works for you but not everyone wants a board of people to tell them what they can do on their own property. It has nothing to do with low income people either. If you want to live in a clubhouse neighborhood that is fine but you can't force people into one. I like my 13 acres and the privacy it afords us. If I want to fly a huge American flag next to our barn that is my right. I just have a problem with paying $300,000 for a home and then I can't do what I wish (within reason of course) with it. I reckon what I am saying HOA's aren't for everyone.
I'm not saying everyone should have an HOA. I'm just saying for the people like me who do I would like for them to do a little more. I know the people who live in Anneewakee, whom I believe pay about $600 a years for they HOA, want them to get off the ass and do something. For example when we had that snow storm. I feel like for $250 a year I should not have been stuck in my subdivision for 3 days.
ihateleeches

Douglasville, GA

#122 Feb 10, 2011
Someone on another thread wrote about getting rid of tattoo parlors and crappy businesses like that. Get rid of lowlife bail bonds places too. drive them to the outskirts instead of allowing them to nest right down town. I walked passed one a few weeks ago where a bunch of lowlifes were sitting out front talking about getting money for someone's bail who sat there at the prison. Trashy people feeding off of trashy people. Bonding places, tat parlors and adult stores bring down all communities.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#123 Feb 11, 2011
Douglasville / Douglas County. How do you change it for the better?

Well in my opinion the best way to help the county is to remove the BOC chairman & his tax & spend mentality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powder Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Scanner 3 hr Rick 1
Review: Deya's Dominican Hair Salon (Aug '11) Jun 23 Ellen 19
Douglas County Public Safety Alert Jun 22 Henry 20
D & B Pharmacy busted for illegal DRUGS 2 (Nov '11) Jun 21 Unknown 10
Vote For Donald Trump Jun 21 ChicknButt 28
City of Douglasville Jun 21 Sam 5
News SUN VALLEY BEACH DROWNING: Sun Valley Beach dro... (May '08) Jun 13 raymond 145
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Powder Springs Mortgages