30% raise on property taxes?

30% raise on property taxes?

Posted in the Powder Springs Forum

Property Owner

Powder Springs, GA

#1 Jul 6, 2013
I noticed on the sentinel it mentioned property taxes could be increased 30%...? What the heck is going on with this county? We already pay enough in taxes. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about this?
And for all you who want to reply with smart answers like "move somewhere else" I'll save you the time, I'm working on that!
Earl

Atlanta, GA

#2 Jul 7, 2013
Sounds like the Board of Commissioners is about to commit political hara kiri. Tom Worthan is serious about going up 3 mills. Increasing the tax millage rate by that much in one swoop is ridiculous. I'm fully aware that property values are still in the tank, but a 30% on average increase on our tax bills??? Really????
A taxpayer

Lithia Springs, GA

#3 Jul 7, 2013
Republicans at their finest --- raising taxes.
Earl

Atlanta, GA

#4 Jul 7, 2013
From the Sentinel:

"Your county property taxes may be going up nearly 30 percent if the Douglas County Board of Commissioners goes through with a nearly 3 mill increase tentatively adopted when the 2013 budget passed by a 3-2 vote last December.

The BOC is currently advertising for public hearings, which will begin next week, on the proposed tax hike, which would increase the tax bill for a $125,000 house by about $130."

Another part of the article:

"District 2 Commissioner Kelly Robinson said his vote in favor of the 2013 budget hinged on money being used to help propel economic development in the county. He said he will only vote for a millage rate increase if the BOC also puts a bond referendum on the ballot this year that includes transportation, public safety and parks and recreation improvements."

Kelly Robinson?? Really????

I'd like to know more about the management of the Boards situation. I know they are in a tough spot with some major real time budget increases, but I have to question how they came around to this point after approving the budget with the money already spent as Ann Jones Guider states:

“There’s going to be an increase,” Guider said.“There’s no way an increase can be avoided because the budget’s already been adopted and most of the money’s been spent.”

I am not privy to how our Board works, but there is a disconnect for me on how spending is adopted, before revenue is determined. Everyone please understand that Government is not run like a private business. It is supposed to be managed more like a solvent non profit with emergency reserves for unexpected situations. That is one of my pet peeves like Property Owner commented on the statement "move somewhere else". Those kind of statements do nothing to work on solutions.
wakalooloooodase nephew

Douglasville, GA

#5 Jul 7, 2013
howdy
Property Owner

Powder Springs, GA

#6 Jul 7, 2013
I find it sad that the place I've lived my whole life has changed so much, I live in an older neighborhood and the majority of the homes are now rental properties due to the fact of foreclosure or long time residents just moving away from Douglas County and just renting the property. I have seen my neighborhood change so much in the past couple of years, I never know from month to month who stays and who goes and it's just heartbreaking. I hope the board will really think about what effects this will have on property owners, my homeowners insurance was recently raised due to the severe weather we've seen and now they want to raise my property tax also. They could at least let us recover from all the other first!
janice

Douglasville, GA

#7 Jul 8, 2013
wait a minute....didn't they all just vote themselves a nice raise??

i heard about a "rally" at the courthouse today while driving home from work. person on radio said that the county has ALREADY SPENT the money they're expecting to collect by the increase in property taxes.

what on earth did you spend it on? the new sidewalks and lights? the jail or justice centers?

dang! better make sure mcdade's office hasn't had their hand in the till either.

Since: Oct 12

Cancún, Mexico

#9 Jul 10, 2013
Thank You to the patriots that stood up for the hard working, taxed enough already, citizens of Douglas County. Still time to make one more public meeting! Lets be sure the BOC is tightening their belts with the rest of us.

http://m.douglascountysentinel.com/mobile/new...
Property Owner

Powder Springs, GA

#10 Jul 10, 2013
The gentleman who spoke of paying $ 40,000 for pressure washing the courthouse was on point!!! I have been saying for years that the inmates could do a lot of the work that this BOC waste money on. Instead of the financial director putting on her power point presentation on what they NEED more money for she should go over what they WASTE the tax dollars on and discuss how they could correct this.

I think we should have a vote to make all county officials drive a Honda Civic instead of these gas guzzling LOADED Tahoes/Suburbans, that along with a lot of other small changes could save plenty of wasted money. I know my opinions don't mean $hit to them but they're pissing a lot of high paying property owners off!
DC Resident

Douglasville, GA

#12 Jul 11, 2013
It is easy to spend others money.

Want to see how bad it STILL is here in Douglas County, just look at the foreclosure notices in todays sentinel. There are over 25 pages of pending foreclosure notices.

This is why DC is in trouble.... and a fault of their own doing! It is because of current and past administrations of DC Government that this is now occurring. If they had NOT given developers the keys to the county and lowered the requirements and standards of housing here in DC we would not be in this mess. We allowed cheap housing and have destroyed the values in our county.

By allowing Developers to build " modified trailers on slabs" then calling them "Homes" - without forcing quality development of our communities - is the core reason this county is doomed. We have a renter county now and until they attack this issue and clean up the current mess we have, they'll always come back for more because homes values will continue to decline.

My advice to the commissioners, STOP spending what you don't have.
xxxx

Atlanta, GA

#13 Jul 11, 2013
Could someone who can attend the July 23 meeting (during normal working hours for most of us) please ask how much of the budget will go to upkeep and other ordinary expense, if any, of the new taj mahal convention center that no one is using or asked the taxpayers if we wanted built with the hotel-motel tax? Then please report the answer next week on this Topix post.
Keith

Douglasville, GA

#14 Oct 17, 2016
Property Owner wrote:
I noticed on the sentinel it mentioned property taxes could be increased 30%...? What the heck is going on with this county? We already pay enough in taxes. I would like to know what everyone else thinks about this?
And for all you who want to reply with smart answers like "move somewhere else" I'll save you the time, I'm working on that!
I live off cave springs
Keith

Douglasville, GA

#15 Oct 17, 2016
I live off cave springs not to great of an area and i pay almost $1400 a year in property taxes . Its hard im disabled and live on a fixed income. Last year i was late they put lean against property. I had to borrow the money from my sister to pay taxes so i could get lean off property. I want to move out of this corrupt county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powder Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Activity at Marathon Station at Strewart Mill a... 9 hr just a girl 1
Why do so many Blacks drive with DEALER tags? (Oct '13) 19 hr Commonsense 24
Why does Kaiser Permanente hire so many blacks? (Nov '11) Tue Patience 55
Why Is Ken Bernard Still The County Attorney??? (May '10) Mon hearh 56
roofiess Xanies bar,Blues,oc's,molly,Addyis ... Feb 19 Honest Abe 5
News Mayor gives State of the City Address Feb 19 Citizen 8
No SPLOSH for Foxhole (Apr '16) Feb 19 Former resident 61

Powder Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance