Brightenwannaabe

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Just wondering if there are any openings in 5th grade?
anonBiatch

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

As people see the nightmare this county's middle schools have become they begin to realize they have children who will soon be in those failing schools. And they freak out. The ONLY way you will get your child into Brighten is to get off the sofa and go to the school and ask THEM if there are any openings. They're your children, they deserve at LEAST that much of an effort from you. None of the tit for tat yahoos on Topix is going to give you information you can really use about this school. Private schooling just about anywhere is around $500 a month and they also have waiting lists. 5th grade is a little late to start this quest for the sake of your child's future. Congratulations for finally waking the hell up! Late really is better than never. Since none of the middle schools are performing you can virtually ignore the zoning but you'll have to drive there 2 times a day. And really, having a selection of which under-performing school to stick your kid into isn't much of a choice. Pinto or Vega? Paper or plastic? But the REAL reason for the 5th grade shock is learning just how bad the discipline in the middle schools is getting to be. They are losing ground and another wave of section 8 horror is perched to move here from Dekalb in 7 months. But you won't read about that deal anywhere. Have you noticed all the new Karate schools? More 5th grade shock generating cash for local rubes. Most of the karate instructors around here are overweight and do little to prepare local kids for dealing with hardened projects-trained fighters. They're too busy trying to teach your kids useless philosophy and barely enough language to order rice. Expect more private schools to open.
worried

Cave Spring, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Tell us more about the deal with DeKalb for the section 8 housing. How awful!
tcpt

Cumming, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

There are loooong waiting lists at Brighten. I'm sure the list for 5th grade is even longer since they have the highest scores of all 5th grade in the state.
anonBiatch

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

tcpt wrote:
There are loooong waiting lists at Brighten. I'm sure the list for 5th grade is even longer since they have the highest scores of all 5th grade in the state.
Cha Ching, we have a winner!!!!

For the rest of you, notice how child-centric having the highest scores makes a school look. Parents can have the same effect.
jaredm

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

They waiting list for this school is a mile long. They must be doing something right!
resident

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

You are not very informed about all the middle schools in the county. They are not all bad. Some even manage to improve their scores each year. One has even made AYP every year without fail. It even has higher scores than Brighten in some areas. Please don't make blanket statements that are invalid.
jaredm

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2010

Could you please tell me what middle schools made AYP every year and have great test scores. Is this compared to other DC schools or are you talking state wide or national. If you are comparing dc schools that is not saying much! We are very much below average.
resident

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

Chapel Hill Middle School has made AYP every year and has great test scores along with strong discipline. Therefore, blanket statements that group ALL Douglas County middle schools together are invalid.
western dc resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2010

Judged:

I can see why the middle schools in the county suck: I have a western DC middle school teacher living in my 'hood and she and her husband let their dog crap in everyone's yard. Way to set an example.
whatchaknow

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2010

western dc resident wrote:
I can see why the middle schools in the county suck: I have a western DC middle school teacher living in my 'hood and she and her husband let their dog crap in everyone's yard. Way to set an example.
C**p IN HERS !!!
western dc resident

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2010

That is next whatchaknow
Jaybird

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

The lower grades at Brighten are good, 5th grade is by far the best. After that, I would not stay for middle school. There are middle schools in the county with far better test scores and also check the breakdown of the test scores of the schools you are looking at. If you check the breakdown and remove the scores of children with learning disabilities, you will find that you are better off at Chapel Hill, Fairplay or Mason Creek. Saying every bit of this from experience.
flowerchild

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

It's sad what's going on here now. Just sad.
Anon me

Dallas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

resident wrote:
Chapel Hill Middle School has made AYP every year and has great test scores along with strong discipline. Therefore, blanket statements that group ALL Douglas County middle schools together are invalid.
I have no problems with CHMS! My child attends and has bragged on his teachers. I've never heard a child do that. He doesn't like them, but says they are doing their job very well. The CRCT was a breeze for him. I can't wait to see his scores.
Joannemay

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Yeah well...the 5th grade is good at Brighten, then it is all down hill! They teach your kid crochet in middle school! Really! Crochet! That will get them into college! Not to mention a lot of disiple issues thaat get swept under the rug. Mine won't go back there...
previous BA parent

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

I moved mine and couldn't be happier! Go for it Joannemay! Too many good teachers leaving. I mean way too many for such a small school. Kinda makes me wonder what's going on.
Call me Nancy

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

From what I have seen most of the people griping about Brighten are those who didn't put in enough volunteer hours and are discovering they have to pay up. I wonder how many of you decided to pull your children out over a few hundred dollars and then decided to stiff the school? Then have the nerve to drop your sour grapes here.

My only gripe about the school is that it's clique-ish and some of the teachers are so rude it borders on pure arrogance. Being looked down upon because I'm a working parent who didn't get a chance to go to college is something I feel pretty regularly at this school. I guess no matter how many hours some of us put in, we'll never quite fit in to the "club".

As far as education, middle school math is excellent, social studies and language arts are pushing a obvious agenda and science is boring and uninspiring. Pretty much like most of the county schools.
previous BA parent

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Nope had all my hours in and then some. Thanks for thinking of me tho. How about I left for educational and social issues at the school?
Charles Farley

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

previous BA parent wrote:
Nope had all my hours in and then some. Thanks for thinking of me tho. How about I left for educational and social issues at the school?
Tho???????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Powder Springs Discussions

Search the Powder Springs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 10 min Synergy 50,062
Would you vote/sign petition to recall Mayor Pe... 14 min WTF 24
Douglas Co School Board 1 hr New in town 28
PropertyTaxes too High? Meeting Tonight. 2 hr U R IDIOTS 23
Doug Ferrell 2 hr Tobi 1
GCA services 5 hr Be Prepared 4
Sidewalk on I-20 - WTF? (Jun '12) 23 hr Raymond 11
•••
•••

Powder Springs News Video

•••
•••

Powder Springs Jobs