Gypsy community in Douglasville?
Douglasville Resident

Douglasville, GA

#21 May 7, 2012
I think the term for non-gypsies is "gorga". I thought it was fascinating how "pure" the gypsy girls are supposed to be yet they wear outfits that many people would consider inappropriate for teenage girls. And the "gorga" girls are considered loose by the gypsy standards. The over-the-top outfits are to attract attention and a potential mate. Yet according to the show, it's apparently 'look, but do not touch' until they are actually married.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#22 May 7, 2012
I've not seen the American show, but in the British show, the girls dance like strippers. I'm talking six and seven year olds in addition to the teens. The girls dance with each other. They don't dance with boys. The boys watch. Very provocative. After marrying, the wives clean and have babies. They clean their trailers every day. One episode showed a girl using a toothbrush to clean some of the tchotchkes. That is what they are raised to do and that is what they look forward to doing. I think they drop out of school in 6th or 7th grade.

Since: Oct 11

Cedaredge, CO

#23 May 8, 2012
Joes Beer Joint wrote:
Now, I thought Gypsy's were traveling folks who didn't stay in places long? If these people own a house on Presley Mill and own a business on Bankhead are they really Gypsys or are they just white trash redneck hillbillys who called the show at the end of one of the Gypsy Wedding episodes and thought it would be cool to be on TV?
That part of the definition only holds true for 19th century and earlier. Most modern gypsies live in actual houses while others still maintain a more 'portable' style of accomodations. Although it is hard to understand their lifestyle....especially for me as a woman seeing the young girls being 'trained' for an uneducated, subservient life being totally reliant upon a male....these people are very hard workers and I imagine save up considerable sums of money for these extravagant weddings since they are pretty much the highpoint of their lives. If I were a sociology major, their culture and it's history would be very interesting to study! Here is some good info: http://www.gypsyprincess.net/romanichal/encyc...
MC Pig

Atlanta, GA

#24 May 8, 2012
WillowMyst wrote:
<quoted text>
seeing the young girls being 'trained' for an uneducated, subservient life being totally reliant upon a male
Hang on, they may be on to something there...

Since: May 12

Alpharetta, GA

#25 May 8, 2012
It seems to me that they have a bad rep for a reason. They are scammers, they hide their activities because what they are doing is illegal.

The girls must be pure but dress like skanks. They are over the top trashy.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#26 May 8, 2012
I watch the British show. I also watched the show filmed in D-ville the other night. They said Gypsy lived in D-ville for 130 years. If they been here that long without causing too much of fuss (other than the fact they are on TV) I don’t see what the problem is now. I don’t agree with a lot of their traditions but it’s not up to me to agree or not to agree. I wouldn’t raise my daughters that way but they have right to raise they children any way they see fit.

God bless America and the freedom to look like an ass on national TV.

“Jesus loves me (and you)!”

Since: Jul 10

Douglasville, GA

#27 May 8, 2012
NYC718 wrote:
God bless America and the freedom to look like an ass on national TV.
LOL

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#28 May 8, 2012
Synergy wrote:
the girls dance like strippers...... the wives clean and have babies....... They clean their trailers every day. One episode showed a girl using a toothbrush to clean some of the tchotchkes....... That is what they are raised to do and that is what they look forward to doing......
So.....it sounds like I should have married a Gypsy?:)

NYC, I do agree with you - do what you want, make an ass of yourself, I don't care. I just hate the county being made an ass at the same time, although I guess really no one outside of ATL really knows the county exists anyway so it doesn't matter. Hell, since the AJC and WSB hardly cover county happenings, the only people that know we exists are the people that live here and the people that watch TLC and Tabitha Takes Over so I guess none of it really matters. So, I guess I'll just see all of you at the next big Gypsy wedding this weekend and we'll all have one hell of a good time!
BBQUEEN

Kyle, TX

#29 May 8, 2012
I dont know what everyone is complaining about- if I lived there I would sit outside on my porch and just watch this live action version of trashtastic tv in my own front yard!
Sandra Barber Rabern

Villa Rica, GA

#30 May 8, 2012
Douglas co. was probable just a stageing place for this t.v. show.Probable picked at random.There is one family of "gypsy's" who have lived in the Douglasville area for fifty or more years.This family is a very nice,respectable family.They live in regular homes.They do have the appearance of "gypsy's",But they are friendly nice people.I do not think these people have anything to do with any t.v. show.Our area is often used when filming t.v.and movie's.This has nothing to do with the residents who make homes here.
local yokel

Carrollton, GA

#31 May 8, 2012
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
JBJ, I "happened" on the British version of the gypsy weddings a "couple" of times and you are right. From what I can tell, they live in trailers and as a group just park somewhere until they are chased off. I don't think I have ever heard(on the show) how they make their money, but they must do it well because those weddings are out of control and MUST cost a fortune. They give new meaning to gaudy raucousness.
I also seen the Gypsies on some channel who knows which one..but these young people did live in small trailers..I also wondered where in the heck are they getting the money for these bling weddings..

So I will continue to watch Duck Dynasty,and lmao these ZZ Tops throw backs have educations and very entertaining and I know where they get their money...Best show on the boob tube...Si loves to blow up things maybe he needs to take a look at Douglasville..Bring Jase with you and your DAD.....
local yokel

Carrollton, GA

#32 May 8, 2012
[QUOTE who="Joe's Beer Joint"]<quoted text>
NYC, I do agree with you - do what you want, make an ass of yourself, I don't care. I just hate the county being made an ass at the same time, although I guess really no one outside of ATL really knows the county exists anyway so it doesn't matter. Hell, since the AJC and WSB hardly cover county happenings, the only people that know we exists are the people that live here and the people that watch TLC and Tabitha Takes Over so I guess none of it really matters. So, I guess I'll just see all of you at the next big Gypsy wedding this weekend and we'll all have one hell of a good time![/QUOTE]
Bait car has been filming in Atlanta so many people know where Douglasville is know when the Black dude stole the car and was caught his excuse was...I did nothing wrong sir,I was going to Douglasville to see my probation officer!! Cop ..Never heard that one before..Yeah we get noticed just always in the negative way.

No matter how you slice and dice it Douglasville is going to Hell very quickly and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it the damage has been done in this town..

“Maker of poetry, art & music”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#33 May 8, 2012
Joes Beer Joint wrote:
Will,
I agree with you that Gypsy, by definition, is an ‘ethnic’ group. However, by definition, they are also traveling folk. So, my question is are the Douglasville “Gypsies” really just playing the gypsy card and are they really just rednecks trying to get on TV? How can traveling folk own a house and own a business? And don’t gypsies typically screw people over….so usually they should show up, offer to pave my driveway and leave with my money but not pave it. Maybe there is some kind of financial assistance I can get being an ethnic gypsy????
When I happened upon My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding “accidently”(The British version) on TLC they were all living in trailer parks and apartments. Unless….maybe the Douglasville gypsies are squatters and paid that guy we were all on here bitching about a few months ago a few hundred dollars to learn how to squat in an empty house on Presley Mill?
I don’t know….I am grasping at straws here.
On a side note, Mr. Paving “gypsy” redneck did a nice job on the Fox Hall paving.(Or maybe he just was squirting it?) I drove on it recently. Not a rut in it.
Good points... this is all news to me so I'll need to either Google the television show or actually watch it myself to get a better grasp of what's up.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Location hidden

#34 May 8, 2012
Joes Beer Joint wrote:
<quoted text>
NYC, I do agree with you - do what you want, make an ass of yourself, I don't care. I just hate the county being made an ass at the same time, although I guess really no one outside of ATL really knows the county exists anyway so it doesn't matter. Hell, since the AJC and WSB hardly cover county happenings, the only people that know we exists are the people that live here and the people that watch TLC and Tabitha Takes Over so I guess none of it really matters. So, I guess I'll just see all of you at the next big Gypsy wedding this weekend and we'll all have one hell of a good time!
lol It does appear that they DO know how to party.:)
Polemics

Douglasville, GA

#35 May 8, 2012
Are ya’ll trying to say everyone should do things like we do? Is everyone but us wrong? Relax a little!

Location hidden

#36 May 8, 2012
I don't care how they live as long as they don't try to scam folks particularly the elderly. Even a screaming bleeding heart liberal like you surely would agree.

Since: Feb 08

Douglasville, Georgia

#37 May 8, 2012
I haven't seen the show....not sure if I want to. The parties and blatant pimping out of daughters makes my stomach turn.

It would seem from your comments these folks aren't the same as the Irish Travelers who live around Augusta and across the state line in South Carolina. Those are the folks that are linked to ripping folks off for roof repairs, etc.

However, there sure are similarities such as the parties and the behavior they encourage in young girls.

Seriously, if all I had to look forward to the rest of my life was holding a swifter in one hand and serving as someone's brood mare I'd shoot myself.

I've found many instances in my Douglas County research regarding the mention of gypsies.....Fanny Mae Davis mentions gypsies traveling through in the early days of the county, and I've seen some personal recollections from various old-timers. Perhaps some of them stayed around at some point.
Douglasville Resident

Douglasville, GA

#38 May 8, 2012
Here's the link to the TLC channel...http://tlc.howstuffw orks.com/tv/my-big-fat-america n-gypsy-wedding

Lot's of short videos from the recent episode.

And I've seen the word "gorga/gorger/godje" spelled several different ways.
Douglasville Resident

Douglasville, GA

#39 May 8, 2012
Try this:

http://tlc.ho wstuffw orks.com/tv/my-big-fat-america n-gypsy-wedding
Douglasville Resident

Douglasville, GA

#40 May 8, 2012
Just cut and paste cause the link doesn't want to post correctly. Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powder Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News First elected black councilman reflects on serv... 8 hr tax man 1
landon sides murder 10 hr Fire 1
friend looking for section 8 in tributary 12 hr Jake Kesey 8
This morning (Jan '08) 23 hr Elen 25
driver's license and car tags (Jul '08) Sat Akuz2 2
News Members discuss spending $140K on work at city ... Sat Bob 6
News Panel: No pit bull restrictions (Oct '10) Sat Roger 12

Powder Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance