Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24 Nov 25, 2012
Dave: I think you're wasting your time, people that don't have money for capital investments don't care about the theory of why capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, they just know that they're not "benefiting" from it, just that the "evil rich" are. Never mind that it's already been taxed either as ordinary income or capital gains, so it (current earnings) may have been taxed already more than 2 times...

Hence, the clueless and uneducated comments...

It's somewhat analogous to the old saying of "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime..." If it doesn't impact them in the short term, they don't care, they're not planning long term...

Another good reason for the FairTax, EVERYONE would pay the same rate. Seems rather "fair" to me...
runninghot

Douglasville, GA

#26 Nov 25, 2012
Bill in Dville wrote:
Dave: I think you're wasting your time, people that don't have money for capital investments don't care about the theory of why capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, they just know that they're not "benefiting" from it, just that the "evil rich" are. Never mind that it's already been taxed either as ordinary income or capital gains, so it (current earnings) may have been taxed already more than 2 times...
Hence, the clueless and uneducated comments...
It's somewhat analogous to the old saying of "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime..." If it doesn't impact them in the short term, they don't care, they're not planning long term...
Another good reason for the FairTax, EVERYONE would pay the same rate. Seems rather "fair" to me...
You and bigdave1 are right about this tax thing. My dad died and left me a pretty good amount of money . I didn't know what to do with it so I put it in the bank. The bank wouldn't pay me but .50% interest so I went and talked to a stock broker. He told me to study up on stocks and investments. He even gave me a couple of books to read. I studied on the web also and learned quite a lot. I found out that losing money in the market was not the only greatest fear but all the taxes I was going to have to pay on that money and the taxes that I had to pay on my dividends. I did not know anything until I studied up on this stuff. But far as I can tell Bill is telling you the truth. Bigdave has explained to you what took me a week to finally understand. You should thank them both for trying to help you understand instead of being mean to them.
MsBigDville

Douglasville, GA

#27 Nov 25, 2012
All you trolls are living off SSI or some type of goverment check, why don't you give it back, i know for a fact bigdave1 is on SSI, and don't work and living off the goverment, he is the biggest welfare jock of them all, and got the most to say about everything, why don't you call SSI and tell them you no longer want your monthly check.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#28 Nov 26, 2012
runninghot wrote:
<quoted text>You and bigdave1 are right about this tax thing. My dad died and left me a pretty good amount of money . I didn't know what to do with it so I put it in the bank. The bank wouldn't pay me but .50% interest so I went and talked to a stock broker. He told me to study up on stocks and investments. He even gave me a couple of books to read. I studied on the web also and learned quite a lot. I found out that losing money in the market was not the only greatest fear but all the taxes I was going to have to pay on that money and the taxes that I had to pay on my dividends. I did not know anything until I studied up on this stuff. But far as I can tell Bill is telling you the truth. Bigdave has explained to you what took me a week to finally understand. You should thank them both for trying to help you understand instead of being mean to them.
(going against my policy of conversing directly with unregistered posters)...

Thanks for you comments, I'll leave it to each person to determine whether or not they should "thank us for trying to help", as some people just don't get it and (more troubling) some people just don't care if they get it.

Let me HIGHLY recommend that you engage a certified financial planner (CFP) rather than "just" a stock broker for financial and investment advice. There are some good ones in the Atlanta metro area, depending on how much you were left by your Dad (sorry for your loss), you shouldn't have an issue with meeting their minimum requirements. Most banks have individuals that are licensed (Series 7 and 63 at a minimum, there are other licenses, do your research), but I would recommend someone outside a bank.

Also, suggest you get registered on Topix or someone may start imitating your posts...
dognuts

Douglasville, GA

#29 Nov 26, 2012
Another "maker/taker" viewpoint! Yawn....

How positively FASCINATING...
onlooker

Atlanta, GA

#30 Nov 26, 2012
Why are you people not advocating the flat tax everyone pays a certain rate no deductions, this sounds fair to me. Throw in a national sales tax and our problem could be solved. This would enable us to delete many of the jobs in the IRS and we all would determine the health of our economy.
Bill Clintan

Douglasville, GA

#31 Nov 26, 2012
Bill I think you are missing the point. Investing in capital investments is one thing. However, putting the rates back to where they were will slow some investing but it will not take money completely out of the market. Where else is one to put money? I can make about as much money putting it under my mattress as putting it in a CD. The amount of capital income I can make on 1 million is no where near the amount the super earners earn each year. For instance Romney made 13.7 million gains last year. For me if they want to tax me at 25% then I sure don't feel sorry for him having to pay the same 25%. As you say we all don't get it and all the others start the moron comments but I don't have a problem with the rich being rich just pay the same 25%. In other words my 25% is just as valuable to me as their 25%.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#32 Nov 26, 2012
It is so amazing that people know all about my personal finances. Just how cools is that. That must make them federal employees of some type looking into Topix by federal force gaining personal information and then going through personal tax documents and information that only the government has. This would be breaking the law. Hmmmmm. Like I think this is possible. Not a chance. You people can make up all the crap that you want to suit your purposes, I don't care. Keep making your wild assumptions. Next thing I may read I am a millionaire. I wish. LMAO.
Fat chance that most of you know anything about me and you never will. Only several people that I choose know who I really am, my real name, or anything about my personal lifestyle.
onlooker

Atlanta, GA

#33 Nov 26, 2012
bigdave something to hide?

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#34 Nov 26, 2012
National Enquirer investigation of BigDave. Congressional investigation to follow. News at Five.
You guys are breaking me up. LMAO
You finally figured out that you have lost your arguments so you change the subject. I am flattered.
Douglasville Resident

Douglasville, GA

#35 Nov 26, 2012

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#36 Nov 26, 2012
I, think Buffet is a rich old man trying to score points with the Washington crowd. He is a sly old fox and usually has some deal that he is working on behind the scenes that this type of talk helps him complete.
He figures don't jive right off the bat as he assumes all those 40 hour weeks has a paid hour for lunch. Also the country didn't spend anywhere near as much as it does now. Also the country wasn't 16 trillion dollars in debt. Also unemployment wasn't high as it is now. But most of all this is what I can't stand about the man. I took this from most of our liberal readers bible. He is telling everyone else that they should pay more in taxes but won't pay his own.
The only thing that I really agree with him is that something must be done very soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/warr...

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#37 Nov 26, 2012
Don't 'cha just LOVE how noble Buffet is now that he has one foot in the grave? How about if he adds up all the tax he thinks he SHOULD have been paying for years and just pay it? Nah...didn't think so. That whole story about his secretary paying more in taxes than he is such a purposefully misleading load. He should be ashamed. He is a perfect example of an old white buffoon. The most amusing thing is that I'd bet he is guilty of every single thing the libs accuse the rich republicans of doing, but Buffet gets a pass because he is giving lip service to their agenda.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#38 Nov 26, 2012
Synergy wrote:
Don't 'cha just LOVE how noble Buffet is now that he has one foot in the grave? How about if he adds up all the tax he thinks he SHOULD have been paying for years and just pay it? Nah...didn't think so. That whole story about his secretary paying more in taxes than he is such a purposefully misleading load. He should be ashamed. He is a perfect example of an old white buffoon. The most amusing thing is that I'd bet he is guilty of every single thing the libs accuse the rich republicans of doing, but Buffet gets a pass because he is giving lip service to their agenda.
You hit the nail on the head. He loves to say what the Washington Libs. want to hear. That way he gets the inside deals and favors. The poor average slob on the street thinks that this guy must be really something great and wonderful because look how rich he is and he thinks like we do. Also you don't see the Libs. raking Buffet over the coals because he is one of those nasty 1% rich people. He is so different and thinks, speaks, and acts like the Libs. do. What a fake but a smart one.
One would think that the Liberals would have seen through him by now.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#39 Nov 26, 2012
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head. He loves to say what the Washington Libs. want to hear. That way he gets the inside deals and favors. The poor average slob on the street thinks that this guy must be really something great and wonderful because look how rich he is and he thinks like we do. Also you don't see the Libs. raking Buffet over the coals because he is one of those nasty 1% rich people. He is so different and thinks, speaks, and acts like the Libs. do. What a fake but a smart one.
One would think that the Liberals would have seen through him by now.
One would think the liberals would have seen through a lot of stuff by now. Apparently, we are giving them waaaaaaay too much credit.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#40 Nov 26, 2012
Just another quick article about Warren Buffett.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/watch-wha...

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#41 Nov 26, 2012
Bigdave1 wrote:
Just another quick article about Warren Buffett.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/watch-wha...
The BEST part is that the libs just love them some Warren Buffett. They think that having him on their "side" is really special.*laughing* Epic fail!
taxpayer

Atlanta, GA

#42 Nov 27, 2012
Investor billionaire Mark Cuban said in an interview that if he were told that his tax rates would go back to the rates during the Clinton/Gingrich(Contract with America)days, his response would be "OK, So?"

He said non of his friends in his investment business circles would stop investing simply because tax rates reverted back to the pre Bush tax cuts rates. He said that would be nuts. If an investment opportunity comes across his desk and it has potential, Cuban said taxes don't ever enter into his mind if there is money to be made.
formerresident

Decatur, GA

#43 Nov 27, 2012
Taxpayer, that is the way I look at it. Make the money first, then worry about the taxes. It might not be the "right way", but for me it has worked so much better.

Since: May 12

Atlanta, GA

#45 Nov 27, 2012
Wanting to "soak the rich" is entrenched in American History.

Interesting read:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-20/soak...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Powder Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President Obama Best President since Kennedy 3 hr Really 13
possible movie filmed Sat tamarajoey 1
wash-and-fold laundry service (Feb '14) Sat Raymond 15
Dr Vance Boddy (Sep '11) Sat XTC 17
Corrupt, Ineffective Douglas Co Court System Sat Really 11
Dallas Man Dies En Route to Motorcycle Rally Sat Will Dockery 2
Douglasville PD Seeks 'Office Creeper' Suspect Fri Jonquavious 3

Powder Springs News Video

Powder Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Powder Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Powder Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Powder Springs

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:44 am PST

NBC Sports 5:44AM
Roddy White to Keenan Lewis: We just woke up out of the grave
NFL 6:21 AM
Atlanta? San Fran? Where might Rex end up next?
NBC Sports10:26 AM
Titans have become the NFL's biggest slump-busters
NBC Sports12:04 PM
Titans lead Bucs for top pick - NBC Sports
NBC Sports12:21 PM
Falcons hoping for 0-0 fresh start in playoffs - NBC Sports